ADVERTISEMENT

Remember this quote?

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022

Remember this the next time Shep and Dilly ride the bench. This is THE quintessential Calipari, the man who does NOT possess a killer instinct, who will NOT do whatever it takes to win.

Yeah we all hate Rugs, and he cheats, but at least the guy tries. Cal is calculating. He has other agendas, like draft night and generational poverty, to think about when handling a substitution rotation.

Very true, Cal isn’t about wins and losses. He wants to win but doesn’t know how to win, or play the correct players at the end of the game.

Reactions: KFuqua
Surely no one thinks Cal doesn't want to win. I guarantee you his huge ego has been crushed over the past few seasons. I mean, c'mon.

He makes all those comments (draft night, generational poverty, bigger calling, etc.) for PR reasons. And also I think to lessen the spotlight on his failure to win like he used to.

That being said, I'm tired of his shtick.

Surely no one thinks Cal doesn't want to win. I guarantee you his huge ego has been crushed over the past few seasons. I mean, c'mon.

He makes all those comments (draft night, generational poverty, bigger calling, etc.) for PR reasons. And also I think to lessen the spotlight on his failure to win like he used to.

He likes to win. But the problem is, he doesn't HATE to LOSE.

His results match the statements he's made. That's his tell.

These posts are so stupid. When did Sheppard and Dilly “ride the bench”?

People on here are idiots. They both played well but also both made gigantic mistakes.

Plus, if Wagner and Edwards don’t play/play well we aren’t going to win many games.

Reactions: megablue
You just never stop calling people clowns and idiots do you. Do you talk down to people in your profession? You either start a thread by posting a link to a story or tweet, or you reply to a viewpoint by insulting someone. No middle ground with you, Jonathan. Finally pushed me to ignore.

Winning for him is a bonus - and helps justify himself - but his actions - esp. the past 5 seasons speak louder. He is about "draft night, gen poverty, bigger calling, etc." and really isn't concerned as much about winning (look at his record vs top 25, decision making, playing time). Win? sure he will take it and it boost his ego that he can still coach... but lose and lose with the right guys playing - THAT is the real win.

You just never stop calling people clowns and idiots do you. Do you talk down to people in your profession? You either start a thread by posting a link to a story or tweet, or you reply to a viewpoint by insulting someone. No middle ground with you, Jonathan. Finally pushed me to ignore.
He's 100% bipolar...check out his musings in game threads...he probably has a pez dispenser for lithium... [laughing]

People on here are idiots. They both played well but also both made gigantic mistakes.

Plus, if Wagner and Edwards don’t play/play well we aren’t going to win many games.
Edwards/Wagner played 54 minutes compared to 32 for sheep/dilly. Compare their production and get back to me on their importance to the team again. We should have won last nights game against the #1 team in the country with zero production for those two. Dilly/shep were both removed from the games at times they were having a high impact. Edwards/Wagner remained in the game while having no impact and arguably negative impact with bad shot selections. Dilly/shep both made mistakes down the stretch but if not for them we would not have been in position to win either.

"GIGANTIC MISTAKES" - LOL Shep was +3 on assist/steals to turnovers. And he only missed one shot. How many airballs did DJ/Edwards jack up? Your agenda is so obvious, amplifying Shep's errors and minimizing the Golden Boys'.

But don't worry, Cal isn't going to take their hearts.

If his career was similar to the last 5 years he wouldn’t sniff the Hall of Fame. First half of career- sure, Hall of Famer. It’s the regression that’s a big issue now.
But it wasn't. What a silly, pointless comment.

then why doesn't anything change???????
same old crap every year, no coaching at crunch time

Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
If his career was similar to the last 5 years he wouldn’t sniff the Hall of Fame. First half of career- sure, Hall of Famer. It’s the regression that’s a big issue now.
all those easy wins @ Memphis
should have had a title there but not smart enough to foul to keep the Kansas player from shooting a 3 to tie the game

Edwards/Wagner played 54 minutes compared to 32 for sheep/dilly. Compare their production and get back to me on their importance to the team again. We should have won last nights game against the #1 team in the country with zero production for those two. Dilly/shep were both removed from the games at times they were having a high impact. Edwards/Wagner remained in the game while having no impact and arguably negative impact with bad shot selections. Dilly/shep both made mistakes down the stretch but if not for them we would not have been in position to win either.
this type of stupidity is nothing new
he is going to protect his golden 5* kids regardless of how they are playing.

He's 100% bipolar...check out his musings in game threads...he probably has a pez dispenser for lithium... [laughing]
Yeah. He is so smart that he inadvertently outed his identity last year. He now, smartly, has his post history blocked. You look him up online and it all adds up. I’ll leave it at that lol.

That quote wasn't about Cal lacking a killer instinct. That quote was about Cal finding yet another lie to hide the fact that he KNEW all along that Sharpe was not going to play for UK.
ccc lie.........how dare you say a used car salesman would not tell the truth
of course he knew from the start what Sharpe had planned. it was all publicity for a top recruit

Very true, Cal isn’t about wins and losses. He wants to win but doesn’t know how to win, or play the correct players at the end of the game.
I assume you mean like playing Reed Sheppard late in the game for that costly turnover, right? Or do you mean playing Aaron Harrison to hit game-winning shots? Or do you mean playing Demarcus Cousins to get a game-tying bucket at the buzzer? Or wait, you mean playing Dominique Hawkins vs Michigan to shut down Nick Stauskas? I could play this game all day, but you already look foolish so what's the point?

I assume you mean like playing Reed Sheppard late in the game for that costly turnover, right? Or do you mean playing Aaron Harrison to hit game-winning shots? Or do you mean playing Demarcus Cousins to get a game-tying bucket at the buzzer? Or wait, you mean playing Dominique Hawkins vs Michigan to shut down Nick Stauskas? I could play this game all day, but you already look foolish so what's the point?
Interesting that all of your previous examples precede 2015. Hmmm...

Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua

Reason why I'm leaving HOB. I make a thread or post, and the same 6 or 7 people come out of the woodwork to cuss me out, or call me names. I used to just do it back, but I'm getting too old for that shit. If you disagree with someone fine, but good lord. You can at least be respectful.

I canceled my subscription, and now I'm just riding out the 2 free months they gave me. I'll still post over here on rafters some.

I said halfway through the game that if UK loses it’ll be because of substitution patterns and I still feel that’s why. I’m not sure how many games Cal’s gonna lose in his career for this very reason.

That’s a very silly comment to make. It happened whether you wanna accept it or not. He went to final fours at UMASS and Memphis too.

I agree he may not be the same coach anymore but you can’t take away something someone has accomplished in the past lol.

According to you, he wasn’t even gonna be the coach this year. You like making things up.

• Haha
Reactions: UKortho
I said halfway through the game that if UK loses it’ll be because of substitution patterns and I still feel that’s why. I’m not sure how many games Cal’s gonna lose in his career for this very reason.

I was fine with losing the game if we looked outmatched. I get it, zero bigs, etc. But we took their best shot, and then we landed some haymakers. We should have won that game. But alas, questionable line-ups, and we freeze up with 4 to play. That's all coaching. And that's why I was so mad after the game. We should have won. That's why it's so upsetting.

He has a NC because of AD and MKG, and a really down year in college basketball. My 5-year-old could have "coached" that line-up to a natty.
I could say the same thing about the 96 team and having Mercer, Anderson, Delk. Are you saying coaches don't matter?

Interesting that all of your previous examples precede 2015. Hmmm...
If this guy can't simply look at the SEC Championship gameplan in 2017 and the UCLA NCAAT game in 2017 and not see legit really good coaching strategy, then he can't be helped.

2019 NCAAT game vs Houston, go check out that game. Get back to me.
Tremendous defensive gameplan in 2019 to hold Fletcher Magee to 8 pts
But alas, probably just wasting my time

I was fine with losing the game if we looked outmatched. I get it, zero bigs, etc. But we took their best shot, and then we landed some haymakers. We should have won that game. But alas, questionable line-ups, and we freeze up with 4 to play. That's all coaching. And that's why I was so mad after the game. We should have won. That's why it's so upsetting.
For sure it was coaching! I knew by halftime UK was the better team.

I had no idea what to expect with a completely new team and we did play them better than I thought we would (no moral victory here).

This team can be really special because we have all the pieces. It’s up to Cal on whether we’ll ever see them at their best though.

If this guy can't simply look at the SEC Championship gameplan in 2017 and the UCLA NCAAT game in 2017 and not see legit really good coaching strategy, then he can't be helped.

2019 NCAAT game vs Houston, go check out that game. Get back to me.
Tremendous defensive gameplan in 2019 to hold Fletcher Magee to 8 pts
But alas, probably just wasting my time
Cal has done less with more than any coach in the last 15 years. That's a fact. How many pros does KU have compared to UK during that stretch, and how many titles? You're arguing a straw man, that somehow we think Cal can't coach a lick. Obviously he can coach. But he gets outcoached by the better coaches in the bigger games. See Memphis/KU 2008. UK/WVU 2010. UK/UNC 2017. WI/UK 2015. The man will never win another title here. What is Cal's record against the top 25 in the last 5 years? If you can't see that Cal is declining and has been for a while, then you can't be helped.

Cal wants to win but not more than he wants to make sure these kids achieve their dreams. He shifted the moment he won his chip.

Don't get me wrong, kids achieving their dreams is a great thing. However it should never trump winning a game.

That was on display last night when he left in Wagner and Edwards while ku came back and took the lead. He knew limiting their playing time on that stage would potentially hurt their stock. So the program paid the price.

1) he owes the program a duty to win games more than to ensure players get the highest draft position

2) he can achieve both of he approaches it directly. players have all season to construct a body of work for the NBA. Sitting them on an off game isn't going to effect them that badly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT