ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding IU an Amazing Stat

jedwar

Dec 30, 2002
Rex, KY
Most know this I'm sure and we all know IU has fallen in the past years but an astounding stat is this, they have been past the Sweet 16 exactly ONE time since 1993 and that was 2002 on a fluke FF run. That's over 30 years for a historically great program to only get past the S16 once and 22 years since actually making it past a S16. To me that is just a wild stat. Growing up IU was the team you hated.

😉
IMG-6724.jpg

Didnt they make the sweet 16 in 2016 when they beat us in the second round? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks, OP. It's those kinds of stats that help me stomach our current Final Four drought.

Another: UofL has only won 18% of their last 60 games.

• Wow
Reactions: Fox2monk and jedwar
Didnt they make the sweet 16 in 2016 when they beat us in the second round? Or am I missing something here?

They went to the S16 in 2012, 2013 and 2016. They haven’t been to an elite 8 in 21 seasons and counting.

IU is a cautionary tale to me. After a legendary coach (cal) you can replace with rotating musical chair hires and end up in obscurity.
100%. And in 2023 the coach is even more important than it was in the past. In the '90s maybe you can still be relatively successful with a mediocre coach at a great program because the program elevated the coach. Hell it happened here to an extent with Tubby, he wasn't elite but the Kentucky brand still helped pull in big recruits.

In 2023 that world doesn't exist anymore. It's all about NIL and who the coach is. Kids don't really care that a program won 5 titles before they were born. They just want to play for the best coaches, get to the NBA, and make some money while doing it. Make the wrong hire and you're on the path to Indiana very quickly. Some people forget that Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe didn't come to Kentucky to play for Kentucky, they came here to play for Cal. If he didn't replace Gillispie they would have gone to Memphis.

You're 100% right. Not on IU's level, but DePaul is another. UNLV. I'm sure there are others.

Arkansas is one on a smaller level. They were a regular top 10 team from 1990-96. They won a title in 94 and were national runners-up the next year. They haven’t been to the FF since 1995, and if it wasn’t for back-to-back elite 8s in 2021 and 2022, they’d be looking at 28 years without one.

Reactions: jedwar
Arkansas is one on a smaller level. They were a regular top 10 team from 1990-96. They won a title in 94 and were national runners-up the next year. They haven’t been to the FF since 1995, and if it wasn’t for back-to-back elite 8s in 2021 and 2022, they’d be looking at 28 years without one.
Good call. Their drop off was stark from 95 then to the 96 season.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
I guess you could throw in Temple, Syracuse, and St. John's into the discussion at a somewhat lower level (i.e. fewer national titles.) But none has been as spectacular as IU's (and Uavel's). Brings a tear to my eye...in a very good way.

Some good calls there as well. Maybe Georgetown too.

I used to follow Georgetown hoping to see them lose. They were in my top 5 of most despised programs. However, in recent years I don't even give them a second thought. They are completely irrelevant. Their memories of great moments in basketball have to be like Al Bundy reflecting on his HS football career.

I used to follow Georgetown hoping to see them lose. They were in my top 5 of most despised programs. However, in recent years I don't even give them a second thought. They are completely irrelevant. Their memories of great moments in basketball have to be like Al Bundy reflecting on his HS football career.
I still haven't gotten over 1984. That hurt me. One of my favorite teams. Maybe my favorite that didn't win a title.

Reactions: blubo and tomrain
I still haven't gotten over 1984. That hurt me. One of my favorite teams. Maybe my favorite that didn't win a title.
Ditto. I remember walking out on the front porch after the game and just standing there with my hands on my hips staring up at the sky wondering what just happened. 3 for 33 is what happened. Still stings to this day...LOVED that team.

Ditto. I remember walking out on the front porch after the game and just standing there with my hands on my hips staring up at the sky wondering what just happened. 3 for 33 is what happened. Still stings to this day...LOVED that team.
Me too. First game I shed tears on. We came out and was playing really well. Then the 2nd half we could not hit anything and Michael Graham ate us up.

That was an amazing Final Four. Virginia with Sampson. Houston with Akeem, UK with Bowie and Turpin and Georgetown with Ewing.

Reactions: bigbluelou
Most know this I'm sure and we all know IU has fallen in the past years but an astounding stat is this, they have been past the Sweet 16 exactly ONE time since 1993 and that was 2002 on a fluke FF run. That's over 30 years for a historically great program to only get past the S16 once and 22 years since actually making it past a S16. To me that is just a wild stat. Growing up IU was the team you hated.
What’s sad is that we have the 2nd longest streak of not making it past the sweet 16 among bluebloods 😞 Gold standard!

• Sad
Reactions: bigbluelou
It's hard for anyone here born after 1990 or so to really understand the IU-UK rivalry and just how intense it was between both teams and fanbases. I know we have a lot of younger fans here that just don't understand that this wasn't some casual rivalry. It was THE rivalry. I've always had my share of disdain for U of L but back in the early 90s, Louisville-UK was nothing compared to IU-UK for me. This could have been because of where I grew up (western KY, right on the Indiana-Kentucky border). My dad worked in Indiana and I spent time there with him. All the local channels were broadcast out of Evansville, so when it came to sports coverage it was evenly split between Indiana and Kentucky.

This stat is absolutely hilarious to me. I wish I could go back in time and show every single person who used to give me a hard time about being a UK fan in the early 90s the 30 years of non-results they were about to see from their program. They never would have believed it, lol

It's hard for anyone here born after 1990 or so to really understand the IU-UK rivalry and just how intense it was between both teams and fanbases. I know we have a lot of younger fans here that just don't understand that this wasn't some casual rivalry. It was THE rivalry. I've always had my share of disdain for U of L but back in the early 90s, Louisville-UK was nothing compared to IU-UK for me. This could have been because of where I grew up (western KY, right on the Indiana-Kentucky border). My dad worked in Indiana and I spent time there with him. All the local channels were broadcast out of Evansville, so when it came to sports coverage it was evenly split between Indiana and Kentucky.

This stat is absolutely hilarious to me. I wish I could go back in time and show every single person who used to give me a hard time about being a UK fan in the early 90s the 30 years of non-results they were about to see from their program. They never would have believed it, lol
This is so true. 70's, 80's, 90's it was *intense*. I currently live just north of Evansville and you rarely hear a peep out of IU fans. Oh, you see some license plates and knick-knacks here and there, now and then, but there is no back and forth of any kind. Just silence.

YEAH BUT WATFORD HAD THAT GAME WINNING SHOT!!!
I had an IU fan remind me of the “Wat shot” recently and when I mentioned that we beat them in the tournament and won the title that year, it was like they didn’t even remember that happening. Lol

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I had an IU fan remind me of the “Wat shot” recently and when I mentioned that we beat them in the tournament and won the title that year, it was like they didn’t even remember that happening. Lol

Ugh they actually have a nickname for that?? That's quite pathetic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT