ADVERTISEMENT

Reeds comments to Cal after A&M loss

He absolutely kills us when he's not on a heater. Lots of Dilly fanbois here, though, so they will say it's anybody but him.
Yeah, Dillingham is very talented, very quick, and he usually is better than any guard on the opposing team, IF he could play them one on one. But, of course, he's not facing them one on one. He's facing a team, and that is usually where his "hero ball" gets him (and us) in trouble. When he's getting the ball in good position, he's very good. When he's hot, he's as good as any guard in the nation. But he fouls too much, he turns the ball over too much, tries to make impossible passes too much. Some of that you just have to accept in order to get the great things he can offer, but it's time for him to make better decisions. Learning when to attack and when to defer is something that's difficult to learn. He's gotten better as the season has progressed. The biggest problem I see from him comes when he feels like he must score now for the team to win. When we're behind and he's trying to win us the game, that's when he gets out of control.

Dillingham trying to prove he is better than the opponent's guards playing one on one.
At times it does look that way...but on the season Dilly is hitting 48%FG and 44%3pt and 78% FT....so I can't bang on Dilly for being selfish. Also he has 121 assists on the year second only to Reed who has 144 assists (while playing 200 more minutes).

So we can bang on Dilly all we want....but he is an efficient shooter/scorer and he playmakes for other quite well.

Yeah, Dillingham is very talented, very quick, and he usually is better than any guard on the opposing team, IF he could play them one on one. But, of course, he's not facing them one on one. He's facing a team, and that is usually where his "hero ball" gets him (and us) in trouble. When he's getting the ball in good position, he's very good. When he's hot, he's as good as any guard in the nation. But he fouls too much, he turns the ball over too much, tries to make impossible passes too much. Some of that you just have to accept in order to get the great things he can offer, but it's time for him to make better decisions. Learning when to attack and when to defer is something that's difficult to learn. He's gotten better as the season has progressed. The biggest problem I see from him comes when he feels like he must score now for the team to win. When we're behind and he's trying to win us the game, that's when he gets out of control.
Which is just another reason why we need to get off to better starts at the beginning of the game and 2nd half. If Rob can come into the game when we have a lead instead of 8 points behind, it might mitigate some of his hero-ball tendencies.

DJ dribbles right. DJ dribble left. DJ backs up to the half court line and almost turns the ball over. DJ dribbles left. DJ dribbles right. DJ penetrates to the free throw line and tosses up a prayer without ever considering passing the ball.
Sounds about right. Never seen a point guard back up more than DJ. Kid needs to learn to attach and kick out. Could be deadly with that. Unfortunately, he can’t see it.

I know people are going point the finger at DJ, but I really think he’s just trying to do what he is told by the staff. Cal said after the Miss St game, that he told DJ to go out there and make the winning play. You could tell he got the blinders on and tried to drive it all the way. To his credit, he did find an open Reed and the rest is history. DJ hasn’t been living up to the hype, but if he is getting the green light, well that’s more on the staff than him at this point.

Expecting some big change for our team at this point is silly. It all boils down to fundamentals. A & M won the game because they killed us on rebounding and having more shots and free throws. We turned the ball over a lot more as well.

Cal simply sucks now as a coach. I use to say the past few years that we were taking too many 3's as well as quick shots. This team a blind man can see is way better at quick shots and 3's. When we start that dribble drive nonsense and forcing passes to the paint it is goodbye. Look at BAMA win, Georgia, and to a lesser extent Tennessee. Sheppard, Dillingham, and Reeves were constantly firing from 3 point range. Reed even took some at very beginning of a possession. Less turnovers, more shots, and the right players taking them.

I am also trying to recall any half-court Cal called set that ended in a score.

Why don't the coaches tell him these things?
Not that you need to read my posts year after year, but why doesn't Cal tell any of the players during a game what to stop doing when even a blind man can see it isn't working. I thought one of those videos where he is talking to the team was very telling; "Make a play" or "If you are not playing defense or rebounding I can't play you" which must have the team secretly laughing.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
"I'm not sure we're selfish. Each guy is trying to get us back into the game themselves, and we're not as good when we play that way."

Please no “Hero Ball” this tournament, we all know who does it. Play for the name on the front and not the back.
Part of this is on Cal, he doesn't run any types of set offensive patterns, he expects players to go out and make plays, some times they think that is I need to go out and score one on 3 and be the hero.

Not that you need to read my posts year after year, but why doesn't Cal tell any of the players during a game what to stop doing when even a blind man can see it isn't working. I thought one of those videos where he is talking to the team was very telling; "Make a play" or "If you are not playing defense or rebounding I can't play you" which must have the team secretly laughing.
Yeah, our philosophy has been to focus on yourself and out talent the other team. It does work well when you got a Wall, Davis or Towns type on the court. Not the greatest when you got a couple tiers below that level.

We are at our best when players are screening, moving, snapping the ball to each other. In this last game, we started standing around again.

Here's what I don't understand: when we start reverting to that offense, surely Cal can call a timeout and bring it to their attention. It's not like it's uncorrectable.

"I'm not sure we're selfish. Each guy is trying to get us back into the game themselves, and we're not as good when we play that way."

Please no “Hero Ball” this tournament, we all know who does it. Play for the name on the front and not the back.
He's saying he's not sure they're selfish? Was he quoted incorrectly? Guys going out there and trying to make things happen by themselves would be the very definition of selfish. Either the quote is wrong, he doesn't want flack for saying they're selfish, or he doesn't know what selfish means.

DJ for 3….

Said it when the 3rd game was going on. I bet we end up sent home by DJ and Edwards killing runs or shooting I’ll advised shots late.

You could see it this year. We go up 8 because of the 3 R’s, and then DJ or Edwards decides to “get theirs” killing the run.

I will say I don’t believe Calipari is going to let that happen in this tournament. Maybe it’s hopeful thinking, but he needs a run here and he can deny he cares all he wants, a quick exit could get him fired or forced out. I think it’s closer to happening than many believe. The buyout isn’t hard for U.K. to pay, they don’t want to of course, but they will and it’s not hard to pay. It’s not a lump sum it’s over time. If things get to a point like a 1st round exit this season? I think he might gone. None of us need that, not UK or him (looks bad on all of us). We want it to end well but they will fire him.

Calipari is close to torching his legacy in history. I feel I could see a sense of urgency in his coaching the last few games. I’d bet he’s in a different mindset right now than he was last year when the season began.

Temper-Tantrums_WEB.jpg

^^ also, Calipari said “what’s the worst that can happen” (get fired). He’s already acknowledging that possibility exist. I think many around here are going to be shocked if he doesn’t do well this season and next (if there is one). He will be fired. Hopefully he would allow himself to be forced out because we all need it to end well. We have too many bad relationships with former coaches. We need it to stop.

It gets to the point where a program like U.K. will have no options. He needs a run not just for his job but for his overall legacy.

“You got 33 million to buy him out”

No, and I don’t need to have it. The institution however, does.

He's saying he's not sure they're selfish? Was he quoted incorrectly? Guys going out there and trying to make things happen by themselves would be the very definition of selfish. Either the quote is wrong, he doesn't want flack for saying they're selfish, or he doesn't know what selfish means.
^^ also, Calipari said “what’s the worst that can happen” (get fired). He’s already acknowledging that possibility exist. I think many around here are going to be shocked if he doesn’t do well this season and next (if there is one). He will be fired. Hopefully he would allow himself to be forced out because we all need it to end well. We have too many bad relationships with former coaches. We need it to stop.

It gets to the point where a program like U.K. will have no options. He needs a run not just for his job but for his overall legacy.

“You got 33 million to buy him out”

No, and I don’t need to have it. The institution however, does.

My face is red, I’m embarrassed

At times it does look that way...but on the season Dilly is hitting 48%FG and 44%3pt and 78% FT....so I can't bang on Dilly for being selfish. Also he has 121 assists on the year second only to Reed who has 144 assists (while playing 200 more minutes).

So we can bang on Dilly all we want....but he is an efficient shooter/scorer and he playmakes for other quite well.
Bingo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT