ADVERTISEMENT

Reed tidbit via MJ

The problem for Reed if he comes back is he will be surrounded by much less talent which means he won’t be as open to shoot like last year. He won’t be able to replicate what he did last year and will be a year further out from his 2nd contract where the real money is.
I don't know about that. The offense Pope runs gets everyone great looks from the three point line and Travis Perry is a terrific 3 point shooter and I would imagine he will get a few more shooters out of the portal.

Reed Sheppard would THRIVE in this offense, because unlike the shit Cal ran. Pope's offense actually gets shooters wide open looks. He will have shooters at every position on the floor. Big Z should stick around too. He would be the perfect big for this system.

The problem for Reed if he comes back is he will be surrounded by much less talent which means he won’t be as open to shoot like last year. He won’t be able to replicate what he did last year and will be a year further out from his 2nd contract where the real money is.
There's a chance he'd be surrounded by more actual basketball IQ, rather than raw physical talent, but I'm not getting my hopes up that he even returns.

No. With Pope's offense he'll get more shots. His only worry would be it driving down his overall 3pt percentage.

The thing is, the NBA knows he's not gonna shoot 55 to 60% of his 3s for his career. So when it comes to this specific part of his game, Reed just needs to not have his 3pt % fall below 37-38% on the year.. which I'm almost sure won't happen.

The NBAs concern with Reed is, is he mature enough to handle the rigors and grown men of the NBA. That was really his only knock this year, he just sometimes seemed lost and overwhelmed by more physical teams, and when that happened he would sometimes shrivel, play off the ball, not demand the ball. All things he can prove the NBA wrong next year and possibly RAISE his draft stock.. or at the very least keep it the same.

Or...Or...maybe he'll be in a system that values X's & O's and will be put in positions to get open shots.

The thing is, the NBA knows he's not gonna shoot 55 to 60% of his 3s for his career. So when it comes to this specific part of his game, Reed just needs to not have his 3pt % fall below 37-38% on the year.. which I'm almost sure won't happen.

The NBAs concern with Reed is, is he mature enough to handle the rigors and grown men of the NBA. That was really his only knock this year, he just sometimes seemed lost and overwhelmed by more physical teams, and when that happened he would sometimes shrivel, play off the ball, not demand the ball. All things he can prove the NBA wrong next year and possibly RAISE his draft stock.. or at the very least keep it the same.
He can shoot 48% next season and still maintain a 50% overall.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Non sense. That offense begs you to shoot bc it creates open looks. Too much screening and cutting. Reed may not experience it he'd be a perfect piece.

We didn't even get to really use Dilly. Sure, some games he saved us, but then we lost other games while he sat in bench. It's nauseating to even say, but in some ways he was about as useful to us as Ty with injuries or even Cason last year. He just didn't get enough looks or minutes. A player can be a 10/10.. but when used like that, he becomes only an 8 or 7/10 for his productivity.

No. With Pope's offense he'll get more shots. His only worry would be it driving down his overall 3pt percentage.
That's my biggest worry. Reed shot 52.1 % from three this year. That would be hard to replicate and if he for some reason struggles shooting the ball he might drop out of the first round. Take the sure money and take care of generations of your kids and grandkids.

We didn't even get to really use Dilly. Sure, some games he saved us, but then we lost other games while he sat in bench. It's nauseating to even say, but in some ways he was about as useful to us as Ty with injuries or even Cason last year. He just didn't get enough looks or minutes. A player can be a 10/10.. but when used like that, he becomes only an 8 or 7/10 for his productivity.
He lost minutes to develop into the scorer he could of been. Cal ruined this season. If dilly would of learned how to work through his spazzy mistakes, he could of been awesome in march. He should of seen 35 minutes at least.

That's my biggest worry. Reed shot 52.1 % from three this year. That would be hard to replicate and if he for some reason struggles shooting the ball he might drop out of the first round. Take the sure money and take care of generations of your kids and grandkids.
He won't fall out of the 40s. Still a lottery pick.

Reed Sheppard would THRIVE in this offense, because unlike the shit Cal ran. Pope's offense actually gets shooters wide open looks. He will have shooters at every position on the floor. Big Z should stick around too. He would be the perfect big for this system.

Watching Cam Spencer in the NC game work in Hurley’s offense demonstrated to me how Reed’s skills could be used at UK.

Reactions: Girthang
Independence Day Usa GIF

Reactions: DSGTCAT28
We might have a coach than can actually run a play to get shooter open imagine that

Now that's crazy talk. You can't do that with a young team of NBA talent, so how would it be possible at all? Shooters don't just have plays run for them to get open. They dribble around the perimeter and then shoot a bad shot before the shot clock expires.

You clearly haven't been to a single Camp Cal

The sooner everyone comes to their senses that Reed Shepherd is not coming back. then they will see to understand why. NO TOP 5 OR TOP 10 PICK. comes back to school. especially in this years draft. probably the weakest draft class ever. he will strike will the iron is hot. write it down

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that he'll be back, but hoping and wishing are another thing. I'd love to see what he can do in the right offense and with a coach that knows how to gameplan/coach. Nothing wrong with hoping he comes back, even if it's not at all likely
The sooner everyone comes to their senses that Reed Shepherd is not coming back. then they will see to understand why. NO TOP 5 OR TOP 10 PICK. comes back to school. especially in this years draft. probably the weakest draft class ever. he will strike will the iron is hot. write it down

Write it down. LoL Easy pappy, easy.

Does it matter if he is the only shooter? Even Cal
Could guard 1 good player if he made his mission to.
Remember how we had guys with terrible shooting percentages light us up all year? Just maybe running good offense can help get guys open for easier shots like that. I'm sure players can shoot better when the offense is ran like that compared to trying to get your own shot off in Cal's normal offense. Just wait and see how bad Cal's offense will look at Arkansas without Reed, Reeves, and Dillingham. It will be back to a weak screen at the top with a guy driving recklessly into the paint.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
No, Pope is a coach who will actually run sets to get his shooters open shots. We havent seen that around here in at least 15 yrs.

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that he'll be back, but hoping and wishing are another thing. I'd love to see what he can do in the right offense and with a coach that knows how to gameplan/coach. Nothing wrong with hoping he comes back, even if it's not at all likely

Write it down. LoL Easy pappy, easy.
Some here have taken such a stance on Reed leaving that I think they'd be angry if he returned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT