• USBWA Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Year
• SEC Freshman of the Year (coaches)
• All-SEC Second Team (coaches)
• All-SEC Second Team (AP)
• All-SEC Freshman Team (coaches)
• Dick Vitale’s “Diaper Dandy” of the Year
• Field of 68 Third-Team All-America
• College Hoops Today (Rothstein) National Sixth Man of the Year
• ESPN National Freshman of the Year (Borzello)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (March 11)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (March 4)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (Dec. 26)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (Dec. 4)
When is the last time the Freshman of the Year did not make First team All Conference? That's on you SEC.

Lmao at the fans that for some reason think Rob is looking at his teammate who he is succeeding along with as jealous or making a mistake. He's viewed as one of if not the top freshman right up there along with Reed no chance he would want to choose another school if he could. Extremely silly way to look at it.

Reactions: truckbrandon
Many months ago many of us ask who would be our most surprising productive player. I posted Reed. Just because whatever level he has played on, there were too many analyst that said he was the best player on the court. I watched some of the games and definitely agreed. And this was against some much higher ranked players. This is a down year for star-studded players…can’t miss players. But damned if he hasn’t lived up to the hype. I personally believed he will flatten out in the NBA, because of the NBA is about give me mine. And his mentality is about the best decisions at the moment. But still…best Freshman… definitely well deserved.
The nba isn't all about give me mine. The best scoring teams do it well because every guy is a threat to shoot, pass, or dribble. He is going to take off even more in the league just like all of our gaurds.

Reactions: ganner918
A lot of his fouls are frustration fouls, especially just after he has turned it over, or after thought he was fouled on the other end of the court.
One of our biggest issues with our freshman guards is that they are all three trying to play defense with their hands and not their feet. Probably does not help all three of them see how much attention Reed’s steals are getting. But to a man they get down in a defensive stance in front of their man and take like one step with the offensive player and then start digging with their hands as the guy just strolls by them planted to the floor.

It’s lazy. And it is the coach’s fault they are still doing it this late in the season.

“Reed Sheppard became the third University of Kentucky basketball player — and first native of Kentucky — to be voted the U.S. Basketball Writers Association Freshman of the Year on Monday.”
So much for the farcical outcry that Reed Sheppard not starting (but playing the second most minutes on the team) was hampering his development and not enabling his talents to be fully appreciated by the national basketball press.

I agree he’s a bad defender, but on this team who isn’t? It’s just hard for me to believe that the entire roster is this bad at defense and can’t be fixed.
Earlier in the season posters bragged about DJ’s defense, he’s awful. Big Z is lost. If you actually go to a game instead of watching it on tv you can see the entire team is in scramble mode and lost on defense.
Reed comes up with some steals and offsets some bad plays, but he’s awful too.

Unbelievable. Two thoughts:

One, if anyone says you thought Reed would be even remotely this good, I'll call you a liar. :)
And two, I bet Dilly is disappointed. You can make an argument that it should've been him.
I can’t make the argument for Dillingham. Dilly is a great offensive player, but that’s where it ends. Sheppard plays better defense. While Reed struggles like most of our guards keeping his man out of the paint, he does make some spectacular blocks and steals. Dillingham doesn’t do that as well. Reed also makes full court passes that others do not or can not. His full court vision is exceptional, and do I need to mention his 3-pt make percentage? His honors are well deserved. Having said that, I love Dillingham’s energy and shot-making ability, and he’ll be a high NBA draft choice.

Reactions: ruppcat
Both deserved it but Reed’s shooting % were so high that I bet that was the deciding factor.
Rob had some downright electric moments, but some of the passes Reed made this year(there were many) would make any basketball purist excited.

Reactions: ruppcat

One, if anyone says you thought Reed would be even remotely this good, I'll call you a liar. :)
And two, I bet Dilly is disappointed. You can make an argument that it should've been him.
kelzer on July 17, 2023 wrote here in the thread Reed-CJ

Then Reed is destined to be SEC Rookie of the Year. Awesome!

I was a little less fulsome and had written in the same thread:

He's the most in-control player that I can remember since Kyle ("Carl") Macy. Or my memory is playing tricks with me. I remember Macy initiating the offense from that exaggerated upright position. Most players have a bit more of a crouch in their style. Sheppard looks like an admiral directing a fleet.

Reed Sheppard Honors:
• USBWA Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Year
• SEC Freshman of the Year (coaches)
• All-SEC Second Team (coaches)
• All-SEC Second Team (AP)
• All-SEC Freshman Team (coaches)
• Dick Vitale’s “Diaper Dandy” of the Year
• Field of 68 Third-Team All-America
• College Hoops Today (Rothstein) National Sixth Man of the Year
• ESPN National Freshman of the Year (Borzello)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (March 11)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (March 4)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (Dec. 26)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (Dec. 4)
Pretty nice resume.

I think your concerns are valid….but we have to also be honest about the fact that he is the single worst defender we’ve had under Cal. As good as he is on offense, he is that poor on defense and that’s 50% of the game of basketball. But perhaps a different coach could have improved the defense and the proclivity to foul.
"Single...worst...defender...EVER?" WTF is wrong with you. He leads the team in steals. That is literally THE dumbest post anyone's ever made here.

Call me a liar but I called it. And I also called Herro.

"Single...worst...defender...EVER?" WTF is wrong with you. He leads the team in steals. That is literally THE dumbest post anyone's ever made here.
Ummmm….this an excerpt is from Sam Vecenie’s mock draft today on the Athletic. He is THE BEST draft guy in the business…

“Dillingham may be the worst defender in the class, given his struggles getting over screens at the point of attack and issues dealing with any sort of mismatch. He also can get a bit distracted off the ball, with poorly timed digs and rotations.”

It’s fine if you disagree with any of my opinions that’s literally the point of a message board. But stop with the unneeded incendiary insults. The best draft guy in the country thinks he is the worst defender in the entire draft class and I think he is the worst Cal has had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
I said his foul trouble might’ve been fixed in a different system and in a starters role. That’s WTF!!
A coach with a different defensive game plan and philosophy could make a big difference.
no doubt that a "coach" that played zone would have cut down a lot of fouls & would have made him available to score more. Just another example of something simple that is too complex for ccc to understand.

Ummmm….this an excerpt is from Sam Vecenie’s mock draft today on the Athletic. He is THE BEST draft guy in the business…

“Dillingham may be the worst defender in the class, given his struggles getting over screens at the point of attack and issues dealing with any sort of mismatch. He also can get a bit distracted off the ball, with poorly timed digs and rotations.”

It’s fine if you disagree with any of my opinions that’s literally the point of a message board. But stop with the unneeded incendiary insults. The best draft guy in the country thinks he is the worst defender in the entire draft class and I think he is the worst Cal has had.
You take the good with the bad with Dilly. It’s up to Cal to surround him with decent defenders, or come up with a defense to hide some of our guys. If he wants to maximize their draft stays it makes no sense not to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT