• USBWA Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Year
• SEC Freshman of the Year (coaches)
• All-SEC Second Team (coaches)
• All-SEC Second Team (AP)
• All-SEC Freshman Team (coaches)
• Dick Vitale’s “Diaper Dandy” of the Year
• Field of 68 Third-Team All-America
• College Hoops Today (Rothstein) National Sixth Man of the Year
• ESPN National Freshman of the Year (Borzello)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (March 11)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (March 4)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (Dec. 26)
• SEC Freshman of the Week (Dec. 4)

Congratulations to Reed well deserved!!
Regardless of what people wearing blue glasses think Rob has to wonder if he made a mistake coming here. I mean he’s going to be a high draft pick but is that enough? He could’ve been a star and I mean a huge start at a lot of schools. His foul trouble might’ve fixed itself in a different program and in a starters role. He says all the right things when asked, but most guys do.

Reed Sheppard Honors:

Dayum...

Regardless of what people wearing blue glasses think Rob has to wonder if he made a mistake coming here. I mean he’s going to be a high draft pick but is that enough? He could’ve been a star and I mean a huge start at a lot of schools. His foul trouble might’ve fixed itself in a different program and in a starters role. He says all the right things when asked, but most guys do.
I think your concerns are valid….but we have to also be honest about the fact that he is the single worst defender we’ve had under Cal. As good as he is on offense, he is that poor on defense and that’s 50% of the game of basketball. But perhaps a different coach could have improved the defense and the proclivity to foul.

Reactions: CROCAT
Many months ago many of us ask who would be our most surprising productive player. I posted Reed. Just because whatever level he has played on, there were too many analyst that said he was the best player on the court. I watched some of the games and definitely agreed. And this was against some much higher ranked players. This is a down year for star-studded players…can’t miss players. But damned if he hasn’t lived up to the hype. I personally believed he will flatten out in the NBA, because of the NBA is about give me mine. And his mentality is about the best decisions at the moment. But still…best Freshman… definitely well deserved.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I think your concerns are valid….but we have to also be honest about the fact that he is the single worst defender we’ve had under Cal. As good as he is on offense, he is that poor on defense and that’s 50% of the game of basketball. But perhaps a different coach could have improved the defense and the proclivity to foul.
I agree he’s a bad defender, but on this team who isn’t? It’s just hard for me to believe that the entire roster is this bad at defense and can’t be fixed.
Earlier in the season posters bragged about DJ’s defense, he’s awful. Big Z is lost. If you actually go to a game instead of watching it on tv you can see the entire team is in scramble mode and lost on defense.
Reed comes up with some steals and offsets some bad plays, but he’s awful too.

Reactions: UK-chulo
Reed Sheppard Honors:
Nice!

He’s projected in the top 5 of every mock draft, number one on some. Why the hell would he care about anything else.

I think on a different team Rob could have been hidden a bit more on defense protecting him from the fouling situation. Cal leaves his man on an island when it comes to defense and it has left Rob exposed, hence the fouling and limited minutes as a result.

Reactions: ck-2

False. Ball screen defense is a team effort not just the guards. Cal's failed strategy with the bigs is causing the issue. Nothing to do with reed.

Reed has 80 steals....nearly 25% of our entire team total.

He’s projected in the top 5 of every mock draft, number one on some. Why the hell would he care about anything else.
I would assume any player with the skills that Dillingham has is loaded with self confidence. I’m sure he believes he could be a top five pick if he played for Morehead State. Why would or should he be content playing behind DJ?

False. Ball screen defense is a team effort not just the guards. Cal's failed strategy with the bigs is causing the issue. Nothing to do with reed.
That post was in regards to Dillingham not Sheppard….the reality is of our top 10 playing rotation only: Thiero and Ugo are average to sometimes above average defenders. The other eight are all varying degrees of below average to poor defenders.

I am sorry, but that’s just simply not true. There have been many more defenders that were much more poor than he was. for a point guard, his average of steals plus block shots plus defensive rebound is up there with anybody in the nation and that is defense as well. Not to mention numerous deflections.

I agree he’s a bad defender, but on this team who isn’t? It’s just hard for me to believe that the entire roster is this bad at defense and can’t be fixed.
Earlier in the season posters bragged about DJ’s defense, he’s awful. Big Z is lost. If you actually go to a game instead of watching it on tv you can see the entire team is in scramble mode and lost on defense.
Reed comes up with some steals and offsets some bad plays, but he’s awful too.
Reed has good hands and good anticipation, but does either get blown by too much or doesn't push shooters out of their range and gives them too much cushion. He is a gamble though and does come up with some great steals and has blocked a handful of three point attempts. He avoids foul trouble too.

WTF. If you start then you stop fouling so much. Did you just say such a stupid thing!?

Yes, he could have started. But in about 40% of the games he played, he limited his own minutes with foul trouble.

I am sorry, but that’s just simply not true. There have been many more defenders that were much more poor than he was. for a point guard, his average of steals plus block shots plus defensive rebound is up there with anybody in the nation and that is defense as well. Not to mention numerous deflections.
He can’t consistently handle the most basic of defensive switches….he gets confused very easily just freelances which destroys the entire defensive concept. And much like DJ and Reed he can’t stay in front of any opposing guard which is why he grabs and holds and gets fouls called on him frequently. But of those 3 he gets blown buy the most. I will say these last 10 games he finally has started boxing out on rebounds which has made a big difference. It’s not personal, I think he is “a bucket” the best ISO scorer in the country, and I also think his passing vision is underrated because our bigs have such a hard time catching hard passes and fumble them away.

Reactions: d2atTech
That post was in regards to Dillingham not Sheppard….the reality is of our top 10 playing rotation only: Thiero and Ugo are average to sometimes above average defenders. The other eight are all varying degrees of below average to poor defenders.
Very true.
If I were to rate them defensively, I would go:
Theiro
Onyenso
Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Burks (I might put him higher if saw him play more)
Sheppard
Dillingham
Mitchell
Bradshaw
Z (although he improved a lot that last few games, to where maybe he is ahead of Bradshaw and Mitchell)

I think on a different team Rob could have been hidden a bit more on defense protecting him from the fouling situation. Cal leaves his man on an island when it comes to defense and it has left Rob exposed, hence the fouling and limited minutes as a result.
A lot of his fouls are frustration fouls, especially just after he has turned it over, or after thought he was fouled on the other end of the court.

WTF. If you start then you stop fouling so much. Did you just say such a stupid thing!?

Yes, he could have started. But in about 40% of the games he played, he limited his own minutes with foul trouble.
I said his foul trouble might’ve been fixed in a different system and in a starters role. That’s WTF!!
A coach with a different defensive game plan and philosophy could make a big difference.

I know the OP’s post was congratulating Reed on the award, but I can’t help to think how Calipari has stolen the opportunity from Rob and Reed to be known as UK MBB team starters, as their performance on the court has warranted!

To me, it’s 5X worse than the Shaedon Sharpe fraud, and Calipari should be roasted for eternity for creating such a ridiculous and bizarre situation!

Kudos to those two for making Cal look like the fool he is, because if that were me or my son, I’d tell Cal to kiss my ass, and transfer where I would be appreciated by my HC, which would literally be any other program in the entire country!

Reactions: susan2361 and ck-2
Unbelievable. Two thoughts:

One, if anyone says you thought Reed would be even remotely this good, I'll call you a liar. :)
And two, I bet Dilly is disappointed. You can make an argument that it should've been him.
I thought he’d be All-American as a sophomore. Don’t think we’ll get to find out.

A lot of his fouls are frustration fouls, especially just after he has turned it over, or after thought he was fouled on the other end of the court.
I agree and I think that a lot of his frustration and over aggressive play on both sides of the ball is due to trying to show out coming off the bench. If he had settled into a starters role I don’t think it’s a stretch to see him calm down on both sides of the ball instead of trying to prove himself worthy every chance he gets.

“Reed Sheppard became the third University of Kentucky basketball player — and first native of Kentucky — to be voted the U.S. Basketball Writers Association Freshman of the Year on Monday.”

At the start of the season I posted "don't overlook Sheppard " but I never thought he would be this good. I thought he would play a lot but he even surprised me how good he really was.

“Reed Sheppard became the third University of Kentucky basketball player — and first native of Kentucky — to be voted the U.S. Basketball Writers Association Freshman of the Year on Monday.”
Hahaha I love how folks count us kentuckians out. I'll laugh when we knock it out of the park. Go reed!!!

I know the OP’s post was congratulating Reed on the award, but I can’t help to think how Calipari has stolen the opportunity from Rob and Reed to be known as UK MBB team starters, as their performance on the court has warranted!

To me, it’s 5X worse than the Shaedon Sharpe fraud, and Calipari should be roasted for eternity for creating such a ridiculous and bizarre situation!

Kudos to those two for making Cal look like the fool he is, because if that were me or my son, I’d tell Cal to kiss my ass, and transfer where I would be appreciated by my HC, which would literally be any other program in the entire country!
This isn’t about Cal. It’s about an outstanding young man earning a prestigious award.

Reactions: d2atTech
Congrats to Sheppard.

Sheppard and Dilly both get starter minutes. Starting doesn't matter much. It's who finishes the games and both of them are in the end of games...

With the rate that Dilly fouls, he would have have 1 foul by the 18 minute mark and would have to go to the bench at the 12 minute mark of every game with 2 fouls. And for those that say it is Cal's fault somehow for how much Dilly fouls are either not that bright about basketball or trying to stir things up because that argument doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I dunno. When Rob is in the game 30.8% of our offensive possessions run through him. That's a lot. It is by far the highest usage on the team. It's higher than Reeves and nearly double Reed. Rob gets almost as much usage as Dalton Knech (32.1) and Zach Edey (32.8) and they are clearly the star of their respective teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT