ADVERTISEMENT

Reed offered $1 million NIL deal for next season…..

The actual business owner offering him the deal was just on KSR. He didn't say Reed by name, but logic suggest that's about the only one it could be. He was on to talk about how hard it is to get deals to kids on the basketball team as evidence of poor management there of NIL deals. Compared to the deals he's done with the football team being quick and easy.

That's about 25% of whatever his first year NBA salary would be.

For Reed, it will simply come down to how important the legacy he wants to leave here is to him. Does he want to be another freshman who came in and impressed and moved on without much team success? Or does he want to leave something behind for the history books?

Last edited:
if we can offer players 1 million nil deals from whoever, surely we can pay the buyout for Cal over 6 years. The question will be can we find a Cal replacement.

If keeping Cal keeps Reed here... meh , I love the team we had this year but Cal coaching them, he seems half the man he used to be, he is done, just the effort seems gone.

His teams have never been bad on defense till last 5 years, that's coaching effort.

Reed is going pro, or should, because his pro deal will be multi million and he will get endorsed on top of that.

Talked about on KSR and some other places last night. The guy called to talk about the Reeves situation which I posted about last night on here. Said they offered a certain player a $1 million NIL deal for next year.

Talked about on KSR and some other places last night. The guy called to talk about the Reeves situation which I posted about last night on here. Said they offered a certain player a $1 million NIL deal for next year.
Yeah I am listening too. The Reeves situation was not false.

It makes the most sense it was Reed. I thought you were getting it from a different place.

Reactions: LXWildcat
That's still chump change compared to being a top 5-10 pick in the NBA.

He's gone.
Top 5-10 pick is anywhere from $4.5 million to $6.6 million. He's not making anywhere close to that in NIL, the questions is just if you can make the gap small enough where the money plus whatever value he gets in returning to UK as a Kentucky kid with UK basketball parents makes it worth it to him.

I still think he's gone, but if there's any kid who makes a decision based on more than money it's Reed.

Still think he’s gone no matter what but that’s a significant amount for one deal.
I actually think Reed will come back. Not so much for the NIL money, but mostly because of how those last two games went. A typical player not from the state probably wouldn’t care to go out like that, but a Kentucky kid who loves this program, just might refuse to leave on that note.

Don’t get me wrong, the money doesn’t hurt either tho.

The actual business owner offering him the deal was just on KSR. He didn't say Reed by name, but logic suggest that's about the only one it could be. He was on to talk about how hard it is to get deals to kids on the basketball team as evidence of poor management there of NIL deals. Compared to the deals he's done with the football team being quick and easy.
I won’t take it all at face value, but there are enough tidbits coming out to show the behind scenes of bball is in disarray.

Reactions: Big Blue in 502
I'm not listening, and more than likely he is referring to Reed, but what did he say that makes the OP definitely think it's Reed instead of Dillingham, Wagner, or Edwards?

The point being made was that the basketball NIL program is being poorly handled by some assistant coaches. Specifically, that Reeves had an offer last year that was never followed up on or even communicated to Reeves and his family. What wasn't said is that, like everything else, the buck stops with Cal, which it does.

6th pick last year got around 15 mil guaranteed over two years before the team options years 3 & 4 kick in.

15 mil>1mil
Jaylen Brown's 2nd contract was worth $286M over 5 years.

286M > 50M

Why do I point that out? Because if Reed isn't physically ready, mentally ready, and emotionally ready to make a quick impact in the league, then he won't get close to a max-deal contract when the rookie contract expires.
So there may be a financial benefit to staying 1 more year.

The point being made was that the basketball NIL program is being poorly handled by some assistant coaches. What wasn't said is that, like everything else, the buck stops with Cal, which it does.
It just seems like everything that could go wrong has gone wrong under Calipari and there’s no fixing these issues over night. Another reason it’s time to start over

The guaranteed NBA money is hard to turn down. In fact, I would argue you don’t turn it down. That said, if he can get some additional NIL money, I wouldn’t be surprised if his parents push him to stay another season. He really needs to mature emotionally and even physically. Maybe he can do that before he would start his NBA season. Injury is of course the risk in staying.

Reactions: Bigblueforever
I believe Reed does comeback. He is a Kentucky kid, not our typical one and done. I think he will be pissed about the last 2 losses and comes back. He can easily make a few million here next year

Brady's deal alone is a million for him and he can easily get more. I say he stays. Thanks Brady

if we can offer players 1 million nil deals from whoever, surely we can pay the buyout for Cal over 6 years. The question will be can we find a Cal replacement.

If keeping Cal keeps Reed here... meh , I love the team we had this year but Cal coaching them, he seems half the man he used to be, he is done, just the effort seems gone.

His teams have never been bad on defense till last 5 years, that's coaching effort.

Reed is going pro, or should, because his pro deal will be multi million and he will get endorsed on top of that.
The 1 million isn't a donation though it's a true NIL deal were the owner will make money back on the autographs.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
I'm not listening, and more than likely he is referring to Reed, but what did he say that makes the OP definitely think it's Reed instead of Dillingham, Wagner, or Edwards?
It's for autographs. Seems likely the demand for Reed autographs amongst the fan base would be much much greater than the others you mentioned. The shop owner would be looking to make his money back or lose as little as possible so Reed makes the most sense.

Reactions: NothinButNylon
It's for autographs. Seems likely the demand for Reed autographs amongst the fan base would be much much greater than the others you mentioned. The shop owner would be looking to make his money back or lose as little as possible so Reed makes the most sense.
Fair enough. They would need only 10,000 people willing to give $100 for the autograph.

Autographs have never been my thing, but if they came with a 30 minute test drive of a Corvette C8 Z06, I may get a couple of them.

If I were in Reed’s shoes I would come back for another year. Not for NIL but for the love of Kentucky and life after the NBA in Kentucky. How he wants to be remembered will play a big role in his decision. Does he have heart and guts and go out like a champion, forever to be remembered as a legend?? Or does he take the money, tuck tail and run??? Only time will tell…

If I were in Reed’s shoes I would come back for another year. Not for NIL but for the love of Kentucky and life after the NBA in Kentucky. How he wants to be remembered will play a big role in his decision. Does he have heart and guts and go out like a champion, forever to be remembered as a legend?? Or does he take the money, tuck tail and run??? Only time will tell…
If Cal returns, and if I was in Reeds shoes I would leave. Because it’s going to be way too toxic around here and the pressure will be even worse. Either way I think Reed is gone, you don’t pass up a top 10 pick in the NBA just because you love Kentucky

It's a heck of a lot more than 5 years ago, getting nothing. The money is obviously not going to touch what the NBA rookie scale will give to someone drafted in the 1st round.. But it could help sweeten the pot IF Reed would like to stay for another year and work on his game.

The caller never said the NIL deal was contingent on the player(Reed) coming back next year.
He stated that the deal had been offered for some time now and no reply back.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I believe the caller from ksr this morning was implying the offers weren't being presented to the players.He had said last year he tried to get Reeves a 100k deal. Got in touch with someone on cals team. Never heard back skip forward,this guy gets call from nil rep from uk with Reeves dad in the office looking for 15k deals. Siad the other deal was never presented.The million was offered to someone one this years team

Maybe Reed could hold a press conference like Jimmy Chitwood did only have the opposite message. “Coach goes, I stay, he stays I go”. I know that would never happen but it’s fun to think about.

• Haha
Reactions: ib4ky
It's a tough call. Money doesn't mean as much to someone who's always been well off. I doubt the Sheppard's want for much. Reed's been ok, and is going to be ok. A secured future will be good enough imo. Unless he wants an airplane, he's gonna be set either way. But he's a kid, he might want an airplane.

The caller never said the NIL deal was contingent on the player(Reed) coming back next year.
He stated that the deal had been offered for some time now and no reply back.
He’s not going to give Reed $1 million if he doesn’t come back lmao? What do you mean?

For Reed, it will simply come down to how important the legacy he wants to leave here is to him. Does he want to be another freshman who came in and impressed and moved on without much team success? Or does he want to leave something behind for the history books?
That’s only one nil deal there’s much more on the table he will be back. And count on him sliding in draft projections. He could leave and easily fall to late first round.

Reed is not like other players that come to Ky he has always been a cat fan plus his parent are watching him every game I think its possible he comes back another yr.

Yeah, Reed is going to pass up a multimillion dollar contract to return to UK because his parents make 6 figures and he will get a million+ NIL deal…

Not to be an ass, but I really hope some of you are not over the age of 12, who actually believe Reed would return to UK with everything that has happened and will happen.

Fewer and fewer rational and intelligent individuals on this site by the day. But hey, to each their own as they say.

Yep. The 12th pick in last year's draft (which is about where's I'd expect him to go) make $4 million.

I feel that if the coaching situation works out to his liking, he might return. But I'm in the minority.

Jaylen Brown's 2nd contract was worth $286M over 5 years.

286M > 50M

Why do I point that out? Because if Reed isn't physically ready, mentally ready, and emotionally ready to make a quick impact in the league, then he won't get close to a max-deal contract when the rookie contract expires.
So there may be a financial benefit to staying 1 more year.
Good post.

I see where your coming from

But

Reeds ceiling isn't as high as Jaylen Brown

Might have had a comparable floor talent wise but Reed's ceiling potential as an NBA star seems limited.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

He constantly posts crap without any links or context as if he's scooping the world and wonders why so many question his threads.
There’s no link buddy, it was talked about on KSR. You want me to link a live phone call?

He’s not going to give Reed $1 million if he doesn’t come back lmao? What do you mean?
Did he say that?
Reed just won national freshman of the year so I'd say autographed memorabilia will sell right now. He insinuated that the offer had been on the table for a while knowing that Reed's stay or go decision would be well in the future.
He didn't strike me as a booster but someone who represents a for profit company. This was legit NIL not pay for play(next year)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT