ADVERTISEMENT

Reed is probably gone

Would’ve loved for him to stay but maybe this could put more pressure on CCC. Losing a good one if he leaves. Got to finish about 14-18 next year then maybe, just maybe…..

No one knows anything. I’m gonna ask my Ouija Board so who stays or goes will be known for sure. I trust Ouija much more than these so called insiders.

Reactions: Bigblueamdyou
It ain't called the sophomore slump for no reason.

Considering the praise he has received from the national media I think he could still go in the lottery.

Other than that, he should definitely go if for no other reason than to get out of the dumpster fire that is currently UK basketball. Who knows how much worse it will get next year.

Sophomore slump is mostly about opponents having lots of tape on you and understanding your tendencies. So you have to make your counters as good or better than your go-to, or they can lock you up.

I think Reed is ahead of the game in this regard. Just watching how much better he performed vs. UT and ZZ from one game to the next showed me this. He is an expert on reading defensive tendencies and exploiting them. I believe that will only improve as he gets stronger.

The flip side is that Reed was the perfect piece to play beside Rob and Reeves. Possible he will be less effective per possession if the options around him aren’t as strong.

Could all be moot anyway, I suppose.

Jeff played for Rick and a wonderful man in Tubby, so I doubt there is much allegiance to Carnival Barker Cal who cannot coach. Certainly not enough to subject his kid to the absolute shit-show that is going to be the 24-25 season. New staff. New team. All your buds have moved on. Second guessing absolutely everything that happens. ERupptsions after everyone of the 10+ losses. Finger pointing everywhere.

This is what happens every year and he has a pot of gold waiting for him at the end of the NBA rainbow.

I still don't really see how Reed is going to do much in the NBA when he gets there. He struggled to guard his man all year. WHO is he going to guard in the Association at the moment?

I want him to succeed and its tough to turn down money, but I think too many players we'd have in the past are solely concerned with getting IN the NBA rather than finding a way to stay there.
Because that doesn’t matter. If he’s a top ten pick he’s guaranteed at least 20 million over 4 years. Life changed instantly forever. And on top of that he’d have to be AWFUL to not get another chance with just being a role player.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Because that doesn’t matter. If he’s a top ten pick he’s guaranteed at least 20 million over 4 years. Life changed instantly forever. And on top of that he’d have to be AWFUL to not get another chance with just being a role player.
Agree. The math says go to the NBA if he is a top 10 pick. Jeff is a financial advisor so he knows this, and I'm sure he will make sure Reed invests wisely so that he doesn't blow through his millions like we see so many pro athletes do.

His rookie contact alone, if managed responsibly, is enough to set up Reed's grandchildren for life.

Reactions: ukfan041
Yeah nice excuse. Translates to me as I could give a F about winning because I have an agenda. Hopefully Sheppard will leave. Why would he stand for another year of this garbage?
I was not making excuses, Cal said that; I've been on the "fire Cal" train for a while. This board is ugly enough without you bringing open racism here and then accusing others of having an agenda.

Wow you don’t say. I thought for sure he’d want to spend another year in Lexington with the Cow! It were me I would rather go to Greece than do that
Maybe he is done playing 2nd fiddle to someone he was clearly better than last year. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and has kept his mouth shut about the jacked up priorities and chaos within the program etc. Get out and move on with life and get paid. Cal can carry on with his generational poverty crap whether Shep is there or not.

No all though I did see that just now, but I was messaged by someone on Twitter. They told be it’s 95% chance Reed will not return. Ugo and Bradshaw both will transfer which is no surprise
not sure that i would be following bs on twitter,haven’t you learned?

Everyone better go a head and prepare yourselves for a mass exodus. None of these players will be back unless they have to come back. They all know what a cesspool toxic environment it will be next year, and with each loss the pressure will mount and only get worse. Prepare to miss the tournament, and possibly even a losing season. All Barnhart has done is delay what should have happened this year one more year. Time for Barnhart to go too!!

Exactly this. I only trust sources that come from Target interactions.
Legit.

I’m telling all of you, with sincerity, I saw Ugo at Target. Walking alone. I said to him briefly and quickly, “Ugo, come back big guy!” Gave him a thumbs up. He stopped, looked at me, no smile, and said, “we will see.” Matter of fact like. No emotion. Didn’t seem overly positive. Then again, he had just encounter a strange older man he’d never met, asking him to come back to school. So, probably was a little nervous about that. We will see I guess.

Guy on the Trilly Discord claims he has classes with Sheppard and Edwards and that they will declare but maintain eligibility.
Nonsense statement obviously made by an older person working off older rules.

You do not “maintain eligibility” by not hiring an agent. You can hire an agent all you want. The only stipulation is that if you return to school, you terminate ties with that agent.

Back in the 90’s and 2000’s, yeah hiring sn agent was the end of it. Not now.

Only thing it could possibly mean would be that they will finish up classes.

I’m not trying to shoot the messenger, but that’s just such an old way to put it, it seems nonsensical.

The only thing that truly makes them eligible for the NBA draft or not is if they stay in the draft pool 60 days before the draft.

Reactions: Mike-D and flacat22
It’s an exaggeration but not much of one. Wagner couldn’t make a wide open layup but started over Sheppard why would that be

something about taking hearts, and keeping his 5 star kids engaged. cal didn't want them checking out.

does that sound like the same cal that got here in 09? does anyone think for a second that cal wouldn't have started his best players back then? it used to be about winning. now it's about what he can do to appease parents/handlers/5 star kids, in order to get them drafted. winning comes last now. the man is stealing money from the university.

As most reasonable people would expect.

I feel sorry for the ones holding out hope Reed returns. I really hope he does, but wouldn’t put a single egg in that basket.

i won't.

i do think he comes back though. legacy player, played horrible in his 1 tournament game. i think a big NIL package will entice him to return. of course, i know nothing. just my hunch.

Yeah I agree it’s not cool it would be nice to have a guy who’s here to coach Kentucky and make them good and not a community organizer
That's not what I meant and you know it, don't put words in my mouth or try to make it look like I agree with your bush league post.

• Haha
Reactions: KTBFFH92
Look, Cals agenda is clear. He made a deal with DJ and we all know it. Wagner struggled for a good portion of the year yet kept starting. Why? We know why. He started bc it was a part of the deal of coming to play for Cal. The whole idea of him not guaranteeing he will start you is nonsense. He probably said it to DJ and then winked at him with a smile. We all knew DJ was going to start. That was set in stone years ago when he got the silent verbal.

Cal has and will continue to operate this way. To be fair he did play Shep a ton of minutes and would have played Rob more if he didn’t get 2 quick fouls like he did most games in the first half.

But he had to start DJ.

And he did. Even to our detriment most of the season with slow starts.

Cal has not for years and will not be prioritizing winning in the future either. If it happens, then great but his goals are different. He wants to be the guy that people point to as the coach who helped them. He wants the documentaries and books to be written about him. Not about the titles he won (too short of a film or book anyway) but the lives changed!

That’s why he should been fired a week ago.

Last edited:
Stay or go, Cal needs to force decisions. Sitting on his hands allows another Kinect to go elsewhere.

we cannot sit back in the portal, and wait for our kids to decide what they are doing until the deadline.

it can't happen anymore.

You told on yourself and are not worthy of any further response.

Laugh react incoming.
You wont answer because you know it’s indefensible and coaching malpractice. It’s obvious what Cal is doing to nearly everyone. He’s a cretin

Was told Reed was more than likely gone. Another huge loss…..

DJ will test the waters and if he can get a first round guarantee than he is also gone

Edwards will also try to get a first round guarantee and if he doesn’t he will return. Will rely on KLUTCH to get him a first round guarantee.

Burks is back
Kid had a great year but he could not have laid a bigger egg on on the biggest stage. He is not a lock for NBA stardom.

Reactions: KYExtemper
If some NBA GM takes Reed in the top 10, they need to get their resume together because they'll soon be out of a job.

If he's top 10 he should go. It's all about maximizing the best financial decision and that's the NBA contract unless NIL can pay him like 3 to 5 million.

I know some people on here are gonna have a stroke if he goes though. They think just because he's from KY he should stay 3 or 4 years. That would be nice but college basketball is a job now with NIL and if he can get a raise and promotion to NBA he probably will.

Was told Reed was more than likely gone. Another huge loss…..
to me it is not a “loss"

He played more than well enough to earn it. So did Rob.

It’s more a "Thank you and good luck”. You can’t count on dudes like that to stay.

Now, DJ and Edwards……. they did not play well enough to earn it…. they should come back…. they don’t and that’s a “loss"

Reactions: ukfan041
something about taking hearts, and keeping his 5 star kids engaged. cal didn't want them checking out.

does that sound like the same cal that got here in 09? does anyone think for a second that cal wouldn't have started his best players back then? it used to be about winning. now it's about what he can do to appease parents/handlers/5 star kids, in order to get them drafted. winning comes last now. the man is stealing money from the university.

Yeah def a diff Cal. He had no problem pulling 5 star Quade Green off point for SGA which was absolutely the right call at the time.

Reactions: Mike-D
My reaction had NOTHING to do with Sheppard starting or not. You know WTF I am referring to, quit trying to deflect. You also are showing you IQ level even further with the "cow" BS. What are you 10 ? When you accuse a white man who supposedly helped black kids by starting them over a white kid, of being racist, it shows how stupid and dense you really are. Not only do you not know what racism is, but you not know what reverse racism is either. You are digging yourself a bigger hole every time you post.

The truly sad part is if the conditions were right with the right coach and the program on an up swing with positive energy all around Reed is the type of player that probably would have surprised a lot of people and came back for one more year to play for the program that he truly loves! He is way to smart for that because he knows what a true cesspool it will be next year. Thanks mitch!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT