ADVERTISEMENT

Reed is now projected as #1 draft pick.

I don't really see a John Stockton type of player at all. When I see Reed run into his shot or push the ball up the court, I see more of a Steve Nash type of player at the next level. I am not sure that his game translates the same way, but if he continues to develop Reed may have that impact on the right team.

Slipping a little in the draft might land Reed on a better team with a better coach/system. He's definitely built for pace and space or 7 second offense tempo.

Sorry to anyone thinking he may return. Dude is a generational player. To be a freshman and have such a complete game is a once in a decade or more occurrence.
Plenty of guys have turned down millions when they had other things going for them other than basketball. Sheppard is an anomaly in the same way that David Robinson, Mashburn, Duncan, Grant Hill, and others were - guys who stayed multiple years when the lottery was already available.

Reed isn't like most potential OAD for all the obvious reasons. He'll make over $50 million in his career regardless of what he does next year.

Reactions: KFuqua and cal=8
I don't really see a John Stockton type of player at all. When I see Reed run into his shot or push the ball up the court, I see more of a Steve Nash type of player at the next level.
So you didn’t see Stockton push the ball up court or run into shots? I sure did.

Here’s a thought: he’s NEITHER a Nash nor a Stockton, instead he’s his own unique thing. I think the “comparison” game gets silly. A superb white point guard prospect comes along, so immediately folks think they have to try to figure out what past white point he is …when really the answer is nobody. Because every player is unique.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
So you didn’t see Stockton push the ball up court or run into shots? I sure did.

Here’s a thought: he’s NEITHER a Nash nor a Stockton, instead he’s his own unique thing. I think the “comparison” game gets silly. A superb white point guard prospect comes along, so immediately folks think they have to try to figure out what past white point he is …when really the answer is nobody. Because every player is unique.
What I find silly is you paring down the quoted text to fit your diatribe. You didn't bother to include any of the qualifying language in the very next sentence. "I am not sure that his game translates the same way, but if he continues to develop Reed may have that impact on the right team."

Kindly go **** off.

He'll be somewhere between 7 to 15. He projects as a smarter Kirk Hinrich floor, and Stockton ceiling.
That’s what I think too but I’ve seen a couple #5’s on reputable mocks. I can’t believe he’s this high but people love him. Rightfully so but I don’t know how good he translates to the pro game. He’s definitely a shooter, he could be Tyler Herro though for sure. Pretty good in his own right.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Doesn’t Kyrie have some of the best handles of all time? I love Reed but he does not have that nor Kyries speed. Sorry if this was a joke that went over my head
Dilly is Kyrie, they play a lot alike. Kyrie was probably a little more polished or less erratic but both have all the moves and finish at an elite level at the rim with an A+ handle and change of speed.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
That’s what I think too but I’ve seen a couple #5’s on reputable mocks. I can’t believe he’s this high but people love him. Rightfully so but I don’t know how good he translates to the pro game. He’s definitely a shooter, he could be Tyler Herro though for sure. Pretty good in his own right.
One thing's for sure, Cal has stockpiled our NBA superstars. Dillingham has a chance to be "that guy", and Sheppard could end up being one of the smartest players in the NBA when his career finally comes to an end.

I remember a time when I was a kid where there was about 25 years between NBA All-Stars produced by Kentucky. There were two entire decades where we didn't have an All-Star. Now, we're getting 4 to 7 each season. It's crazy. I love that Sheppard and Dillingham could be the next great ones in the league. Hopefully in translates this season into a title, and a Final Four at worst.

Last edited:
One thing's for sure, Cal has stockpiled out NBA superstars. Dillingham has a chance to be "that guy", and Sheppard could end up being one of the smartest players in the NBA when his career finally comes to an end.

I remember a time when I was a kid where there was about 25 years between NBA All-Stars produced by Kentucky. There were two entire decades where we didn't have an All-Star. Now, we're getting 4 to 7 each season. It's crazy. I love that Sheppard and Dillingham could be the next great ones in the league. Hopefully in translates this season into a title, and a Final Four at worst.
I hope so too, I’d really really love to remember this team as the one who did it. I want to think back to Reed the way I think about Jeff’s accomplishments when I was a kid. I’ll always remember his play, I just want him to cement his status with a final four at least.

Reactions: Princecal
What I find silly is you paring down the quoted text to fit your diatribe.

I didn’t pare down the quote to fit anything other than what was relevant. I omitted only that which had no relevance to the point. So stop pretending like that made any difference. There’s no need to always quote an entire post when you’re only responding to one part. In fact, it’s easier to follow and less wasteful if you don’t.

Your post indicated that the reason he was like Nash instead of Stockton was because of how he pushed the ball up the court and could run into shots …which implicitly suggests you don’t think Stockton did those things. Which is very different than how I recall Stockton. So I questioned the claim.

If you don’t like it, well, then tough shit for you.

Last edited:
He does so much more than Herro that contributes to winning games. Reed is going to be an all-star by year 3 in the league. He is one of the best basketball players I have ever seen. The only Kentucky gaurd I dont put him above is shai but I won't be shocked if Reed ends up better. I don't think people understand what a good athlete he really is. He does everything better than what he gets credit for and he is only going to get better.

I may be in the minority but I see a little Deron Williams in Reed. Same height, Williams was a little thicker. Both good, not great athletes. Most comfortable with the ball in their hands but could also play off the ball. Both can create a shot. Hoping Reed takes us as far as Williams took Illinois in 2005 (with a different ending obviously).

He does so much more than Herro that contributes to winning games. Reed is going to be an all-star by year 3 in the league. He is one of the best basketball players I have ever seen. The only Kentucky gaurd I dont put him above is shai but I won't be shocked if Reed ends up better. I don't think people understand what a good athlete he really is. He does everything better than what he gets credit for and he is only going to get better.
Yeah but it would be a heck of an accomplishment to go into the league and average about 20 a game. Herro is no slouch. No disrespect if that’s the level of player he turns out to be. He may end up an All-Star but he may not. It’s always hard to tell how someone translates or what team gets them. I just hope he does the best he can. I’d love to have him another year.

Reactions: rob_47
Yeah but it would be a heck of an accomplishment to go into the league and average about 20 a game. Herro is no slouch. No disrespect if that’s the level of player he turns out to be. He may end up an All-Star but he may not. It’s always hard to tell how someone translates or what team gets them. I just hope he does the best he can. I’d love to have him another year.
yeah i see what your saying and I agree. I would love to have him back also and sometimes I swear it feels like these news outlets are projecting him so highly as to remove and idea of him coming back!! It just feels that way at times to me. It would be amazing to get him another year.

I may be in the minority but I see a little Deron Williams in Reed. Same height, Williams was a little thicker. Both good, not great athletes. Most comfortable with the ball in their hands but could also play off the ball. Both can create a shot. Hoping Reed takes us as far as Williams took Illinois in 2005 (with a different ending obviously).
He had a very nice career in the league as well, hope he doesn’t go downhill as fast but he’s a better shooter.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
good comp but with a sharpshooting Deron Williams and even better iq. I feel like Reed hasn't even gone all the way into his bag yet. It looks like he has watched all the superstar players over the years and practiced all their moves.

Plenty of guys have turned down millions when they had other things going for them other than basketball. Sheppard is an anomaly in the same way that David Robinson, Mashburn, Duncan, Grant Hill, and others were - guys who stayed multiple years when the lottery was already available.

Reed isn't like most potential OAD for all the obvious reasons. He'll make over $50 million in his career regardless of what he does next year.
Look what a top 5 draft pick makes now compared to 1997:

1997 #1 pick (Tim Duncan) first year's salary: $2,967,840 ($5,648,875 today)

2024 #1 pick (TBD) first year's salary:
$10,504,800

Reactions: mailman85
That’s a pretty damn good one. And I suspect the only reason others didn’t think of it is because folks get caught in this mindset where they only consider examples of the same race without realizing it.

Kudos on not being so narrow in your thinking.

I hope your right and never thought Reed would be OAD. Not many would turn down that kinda of money though. He could get injured and never see the NBA and that’s guaranteed money no matter what. I do think Reeds family wants him to enjoy the college experience and values that, so who knows. If he does come back next year is gonna be amazing. I'm just hoping he gets us #9 this year, then let the chips fall were they may.

I don't remember Stockton or Nash being great shooters, maybe they were I just don't remember. But West was a great shooter and that's why I am saying Reed reminds me of him. I also thought about Steve Kerr and Jerry Sloan but I like West the best.

Last edited:
I don't remember Stockton or Nash being great shooters, maybe they were I just don't remember. But West was a great shooter and that's why I am saying Reed reminds me of him. I also thought about Steve Kerr
I watched Nash so I can speak on him. He had a mid-range game that was money and he would also hit 3s if he was left open but he wasn't out there hunting for them. He hit quite a few though but he was especially good on mid-range pull ups.

If you don’t like it, well, then tough shit for you.
I don't give two shits about your opinion. You are obviously prejudiced and view the world through that lens. You've taken a rather innocent post of mine and insinuated some type of racial issue that simply isn't there. And you've double down on that point.

I actually happened to see some highlights of Nash pretty recently when he played for the Suns. Nash being white had zero to do with it.

Stockton is from a different era in the NBA, with a different style of play. That is no knock on him as a player, as I enjoyed watching the great Jazz squads with Stockton and Hornacek and Malone in the late 90s.

Last edited:
Who was the last white guard to go top 10. Think about that for a second. Shows just what kind of level he is on

Look what a top 5 draft pick makes now compared to 1997:

1997 #1 pick (Tim Duncan) first year's salary: $2,967,840 ($5,648,875 today)

2024 #1 pick (TBD) first year's salary:
$10,504,800
The obvious point is that they turned down being millionaires back in a day and age when they didn't have nil. Think about that. They could have been millionaires just like Reed could be a millionaire if he leaves. In both cases there was a major risk and in Duncan's case he turned down a top five pick status not just once, but twice. People act like it hasn't been done before but it has. We've seen elite players turn down millions of dollars in a day in age when nil didn't even exist. It's a curious thing that you and a few others are down playing that.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
He is WAAAAAYYY more athletic than those 2. His game is different too.

I’m thinking Kyrie Irving without all of the head case stuff.
Kyrie Irvin is considered one of the best handlers of the basketball ever. He is not that.
Kirk is a very good comparison and Kirk was no slouch athlete.

A few of the other comparisons being thrown around are before my time, but I watched a lot of Nash and those D’Antoni Suns teams in my college years. Having Nash’s career would be an insanely high bar for Reed to meet, but I do see why someone would make that comparison besides just both of them being white.

Nash doesn’t get nearly enough credit for being one of the purest shooters who ever lived, as he’s the only player in NBA history to have 4 seasons in the 50-40-90 club (for comparison Bird and Durant both did it twice with nobody else doing it more than once), and he could shoot off the bounce as effortlessly as he could spot up. A big part of the reason he’s not usually remembered for his shooting is that he was also a magnificent passer and often played a pass first style rather than hunting his own shot. Nash was a better pure ball handler, and doing it year after year in the NBA is definitely harder than having one big year in college, but there’s definitely some meaningful similarities in how they play to me.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
I think it’s pretty simple. UK wins a title and Reed leaves. They don’t, and he comes back.

BTW search my post history and see that I called Reed OAD last summer. I hope I was wrong.

I think it’s pretty simple. UK wins a title and Reed leaves. They don’t, and he comes back.

BTW search my post history and see that I called Reed OAD last summer. I hope I was wrong.

I'd he's a OAD he's going pro regardless.

He either is a OAD or he isnt.

we know at least this much, the rest of the nation doesn’t need or want to see him in blue and white next year. maybe he’s top 5 idk, but the #1 pick and doesn’t even start. am calling bs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT