ADVERTISEMENT

Add Teague to the list

Then why do we have more National titles, Final Fours and Elite 8’s than he does during the exact same time period he was a coach?

Why is the only school he ever won a title at UK? If he is bigger than UK why did he need UK? Couldn’t he stay in Memphis and do what he did here?
Yes he could have. He already made the national championship game. Also, made the sweet 16 the last 4 years he was the there. And had a final 4 at ****ing UMASS

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Who cares what Marcus Teague thinks about it? Teague was a OAD Cal player. Of course he believes what he said. I appreciate everything Marcus did at Kentucky. I appreciated the NC. But Marcus Teague was in Lexington for less than 1 year. He has not lived the last 5 years of Kentucky basketball with us. He cannot possibly be expected to know what our basketball program needs for future success. This is a no-brainer. We don't need to keep reliving it. Time to move forward. Our focus needs to be on Pope.

I have lived and breathed UK basketball for 43 years and let me tell you I'm with you 100% my man. Just woke up today with sunshine in my soul realizing it's still true, because for so long I have slept so wrong thinking it was too good to be true. But it's still true CCC is gone, and I too just can't get this damn smile off my face around the clock since I found out.
Still celebrating here!!!!!!
Still celebrating here, too, Blazer ! ! !

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
Yes he could have. He already made the national championship game. Also, made the sweet 16 the last 4 years he was the there. And had a final 4 at ****ing UMASS
But he didn’t. They were stripped. For cheating!

We have 8 titles. Arkansas 1 and Cal 1.

Lol, the Sweet Sixteen? This is UK. Stop with the blind ignorance.

UK>Cal
UK> Arkansas.

This is not meant to be reactionary and isn't even on point, but Teague is somewhat of an example of Calipari's OAD problem. UK brought a freshman Teague in as the only PG on the roster. No competition. Teague was a good freshman basketball player, but he wasn't good enough as a freshman to be the starting PG at UK. He got better by the end, but during that season he was generally the weak spot on that team.

UK should have had an experienced PG in place, and Teague should have helped man the position off the bench. Was it just poor planning or was it intentional to spotlight freshmen OAD for the draft? After all these years it seems clear that it was the latter. Yeah, it's hard to argue with a championship, and he was obviously good enough to get the job done in concert with the other guys. But I still say he wasn't good enough to be handed the starting PG spot at UK - maybe Memphis or other places, but not UK. And that kind of roster building could have cost UK the only title Calipari had AND I believe did cost UK championships thereafter.

Reactions: FltDoc
I'm not entirely sure why anyone is shocked by these guys taking their coaches side in this stuff. He put them first and made them millionaires, of course they're going to be loyal to him
You can be loyal without going in every shoe, podcast, or tweeting anti-Ky stuff. You can say “love Cal, hope he kills it at Arkansas” without making it a Cal vs UKs history thing.

But he didn’t. They were stripped. For cheating!

We have 8 titles. Arkansas 1 and Cal 1.

Lol, the Sweet Sixteen? This is UK. Stop with the blind ignorance.

UK>Cal
UK> Arkansas.
Obviously, I’m saying he could have stayed at Memphis and had the same success he had here at Kentucky.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Just like in the LeBron James and Michael Jordan GOAT conversation, this just proves they are ignorant to everything they haven’t lived through to genuinely know about!

Reactions: Fox2monk
7 National Championships and 13 Final Fours before Cal. 4 coaches won titles at Kentucky before his arrival. Cal isn’t Kentucky. This program is not one individual coach or player. It’s everyone that contributed to the University’s success on the court. Coaches like Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Tubby, and Cal. Players like Beard, Groza, Issel, Givens, Mashburn, Delk, Sheppard, Pope, Prince, Bogans, Patterson, Wall, AD, and more. Kentucky has stood the test of time as a blue blood. Coaches and players come and go but the program will continue to succeed no matter who is on the bench coaching.

Here’s a funny for you
Just something these guys need to think about
With the exception of Wall, Davis, Boogie and a few others of the Calipari era, how many of us would recognize these guys on the street?
I accidentally met Woo Orbzut a few years ago and knew exactly who he was and when he played.
I saw Jeff Sheppard at Campbellsville University a few times when my son was going there..and even bald, I knew who he was
I didn’t have to ask who Mark Pope was when he was announced as coach

I had actually kinda forgotten about Marquis Teague. If you said the name I’d say oh yeah he played…
So no, son, you all didn’t build Kentucky. And it’s laughable you think we were nothing before the Calipari era
Honestly.. people talk more about his brother than him lol..

• Haha
Reactions: Bkocats
I'm not entirely sure why anyone is shocked by these guys taking their coaches side in this stuff. He put them first and made them millionaires, of course they're going to be loyal to him
Agree they are going to be loyal to CCC.

But he did not make them millionaires! Most that went to the NBA could have attended any college for 6 months and been drafted. It is unfortunate that we think about the success stories (Davis, Karl, Devin etc)) and not the ones that left and did not make it,, like Teague, Dakari Johnson, James Young. Many of these guys had a year or two and by age 21 were out of the league and playing overseas, if they were lucky. Yes, they made some money but not the satisfaction of having a career doing what they loved.

Rupp, the one who started this obsession left, and UK did not cancel the program but survived and thrived. Ditto for Joe B Hall, and Pitino. Have survived the probation years and BCG. And this program will survive losing Ellen’s roommate also, despite former players opinions to the contrary.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
I don’t hate any of these players but they act like UK ball started during the Billy Gillispie era

There is a large difference in perspective between older Kentucky fans and younger ones. Folks need to know the full history.

Of course most of Cal's players see him as an outsized part of our program's history. Our older fans have a more balanced perspective. No mystery.

The interesting part will be what kind of a legacy Pope can build. Maybe Pope outperforms Cal. Maybe Pope face plants. It could be either, or anything in between. My thinking is that Pope has to put together a real SEC coaching staff and then recruit SEC speed and physicality. If he can do that, his offensive approach should work. There is a certain amount of raw recruiting power in the Kentucky brand, especially if the Joe Crafts of the Kentucky world are fully behind Pope as seems to be the case now. I am optimistic, but this is not going to be a cake walk.

Calipari will have the same warts at Arkansas as he had here. He isn't going to win anything at Arkansas. He will choke away any chance of that.

Reactions: KY-ASU
The delusion is crazy lol. You just hired Mark Pope. 🤣🤣🤣

No one cares about titles won when there were only 8 teams in the tourney. Win one game against Holy Cross and you're in the final 4 lol.

Kids care about modern accomplishments. Hiring Mark Pope should tell you all you need to know about your place in today's college basketball. Before you try to tell me who Tennessee is as a bball program, trust me I already know; we don't even care about basketball and we have a better program right now. The problem with yall is your denial with where UKs program is in today's landscape. Mark Pope🤣🤣. The rest of cbb is laughing. Even if he could be good down the road you will run him out of town after 2 years of mediocrity bc of unrealistic expectations (bc by God were Kentucky! 🤣).

There is a large difference in perspective between older Kentucky fans and younger ones. Folks need to know the full history.

Of course most of Cal's players see him as an outsized part of our program's history. Our older fans have a more balanced perspective. No mystery.

The interesting part will be what kind of a legacy Pope can build. Maybe Pope outperforms Cal. Maybe Pope face plants. It could be either, or anything in between. My thinking is that Pope has to put together a real SEC coaching staff and then recruit SEC speed and physicality. If he can do that, his offensive approach should work. There is a certain amount of raw recruiting power in the Kentucky brand, especially if the Joe Crafts of the Kentucky world are fully behind Pope as seems to be the case now. I am optimistic, but this is not going to be a cake walk.
I agree with your last sentence. I do think Pope will do well. Might take a year or two, but I think we will be fine. In today's college basketball landscape it's all about NIL. Yes UK, Kansas, Unc, UConn, Duke will still get players sometime because of their reputation/history. But most kids these days, like teqgue and others, are either not aware of that history or don't care. It's all about money to them now. College basketball has changed. There will be a lot more donors now that cal is gone. We are seeing that already. As long as we have the NIl money to hand out, we will get plenty of players. Our tradition AND NIl funds, along with a good coach is what is going to keep us hopefully in that upper echelon and get us another title or two.

These players of calipari's were never properly taught about the history and tradition of Kentucky Basketball. That much is obvious. Those days are over.
Right, They were told the first conversation and meeting with cal that he was going to get them to the NBA And they came in thinking that at the end of the year, their play would get them to the NBA. My opinion only.

The delusion is crazy lol. You just hired Mark Pope. 🤣🤣🤣

No one cares about titles won when there were only 8 teams in the tourney. Win one game against Holy Cross and you're in the final 4 lol.

Kids care about modern accomplishments. Hiring Mark Pope should tell you all you need to know about your place in today's college basketball. Before you try to tell me who Tennessee is as a bball program, trust me I already know; we don't even care about basketball and we have a better program right now. The problem with yall is your denial with where UKs program is in today's landscape. Mark Pope🤣🤣. The rest of cbb is laughing. Even if he could be good down the road you will run him out of town after 2 years of mediocrity bc of unrealistic expectations (bc by God were Kentucky! 🤣).
We didn’t even make backchannels for your coach. Lmao. Our athletic director who didn’t wait a week for Billy Donovan whose close friend said he wanted the UK job… Mitch worked for Tenn years ago. He got his stupidity from you all

Right, They were told the first conversation and meeting with cal that he was going to get them to the NBA And they came in thinking that at the end of the year, their play would get them to the NBA. My opinion only.
LOVE your Sig!!

Those 2 in that Sig are the ANTITHESIS of Marquis Teague!! Loved watching both play for our Wildcats and they STILL support UK Basketball today! They both played in the NBA LONGER than Teague!!!

Kevin Grevey and Jack Givens are the EPITOME of what UK Basketball means to not just the fans, but the former players not just from that era but ALL eras, even some from Cal’s, like John Wall!!! I appreciate what he said that he will always be a Wildcat!!!

So if you are a Cal era ONLY player, go cheer for the Razorbacks and leave the BBN alone!

Reactions: Usleepy-2vs7
If you listen to the interview, he said he never heard of UK before Calipari, and made some of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. Made me think he was on Cal's payroll.

• Wow
Reactions: MbergCat and catben
You will hear more and more like this. You see, their home with everything handed to them has moved. Cal was a players first coach, that does not sit well with old school cat fans. I am old school and I still can't get the smile off my face knowing Cal is gone. Everyday is a celebration in this house.
We’ve been so happy in my crew. Everyday I just can’t believe it’s over. No more of his “how to be a narcissist” novel. No more bastardizing a team sport. No more bastardizing what college is meant and creating the world’s first college dropout program.

This was always going to happen with most of these guys because most of Calipari’s players spent less than 8 months actually obtaining a college education and many don’t know how to read a children’s menu at Applebees.

We’re getting to see how much smarter Rick’s players are too. Notice some of them didn’t like Calipari coming in and hated his system, but they actually had enough respect to understand what we’re doing and who UK is.

Get out and when you’re out of the league and nobody cares a thing about you, don’t walk back, crawl back, and we might swing the door open.

Reactions: catben and CBBCrazy
Yea, but sometimes it’s best to keep your mouth shut. Most of these guys are just looking for attention since they are irrelevant these days.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The truth is Kentucky is Kentucky becasue of the FANS and we aint going anywhere. Rupp Built the brand and ever since the Fans have demanded the level of success Rupp demanded. If a coach does not deliver in a way that maintains that brand will have him removed and find a coach that will. This is the formula. Thousands and thousands of Fans all across the world, not just Kentucky that LOVE UK basketball, its family and tradition are greater than the Players and Coachs.

No use in keeping a list. Be the bigger people.

Kill them with kindness and appreciation for their time and contributions here big and small, make sure the narrative is they are always loved and welcomed here like the generations before them, and move along because that will tell the story and contextualize it far better than petty resentment and demanding proper knee bending.

Age is a real factor in perspectives, what would this cohort remember (if anything) about the program but the tail end of Tubby, Billy Clyde melting down, and Cal who they played for?

Age would also hope to see maturity come with it, it doesn't track to be crowing about being an old head only to turn around and be huffy with kids being kids with the perspectives of kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT