ADVERTISEMENT

Reed is now projected as #1 draft pick.

He will do average numbers in shuttle runs and all those stupid drills, and some dumb NBA GM will drop him despite not seeing how guys like Jokic and Shai aren't the fastest but are smart, crafty and have high basketball IQ and are blowing away expectations.

Although if there's enough dumb GMs that want to drop him out of the lottery because his shuttle runs and half-court sprint times aren't eye-popping, and it leads to him returning, then fine with me.

He is WAAAAAYYY more athletic than those 2. His game is different too.

I’m thinking Kyrie Irving without all of the head case stuff.
Stockton was an incredible athlete. People always underrate his athleticism. You don't end up an eleven time All-defensive (1st, 2nd, 3rd team) NBA player by being a mediocre athlete. It's one of the biggest myths that ever existed in NBA history.

I find it interesting that UK fans are officially debating whether Reed Sheppard has a higher ceiling than the greatest passer in NBA history and all-time top 25 player.

Last edited:
He will do average numbers in shuttle runs and all those stupid drills, and some dumb NBA GM will drop him despite not seeing how guys like Jokic and Shai aren't the fastest but are smart, crafty and have high basketball IQ and are blowing away expectations.

Although if there's enough dumb GMs that want to drop him out of the lottery because his shuttle runs and half-court sprint times aren't eye-popping, and it leads to him returning, then fine with me.
I bet Larry Bird wouldn’t have scored high on those drills. It’s what somebody does IN A GAME that matters. Some people have to act like they’re some kind of genius with all these numbers.

What sucks about the Reed situation is that we had looked forward to getting him for so long. A Kentucky boy with roots and a great pedigree. Both Dad and Mom were uk stars. Jeff was at UK from 93-98 and part of two Title Teams. Expectations were so high for Reed but not really the way it's played out. We thought he would be good to start with and great at the end. We thought we would see him grow year after year over a 3 or 4 year period. We wanted to get to know him like a Givens, Roby, Delk. or Epps. these guys came and we watched them grow up before our eyes. Reed came in and grew up in one season, yeah we got to see it but not the way we wanted to, over several years. its great for him but kinda bitter sweet for us. I wanted to hear his name as long as i heard Jeffs. Fortunately and unfortunately that's not gonna happen,.. it's just bitter sweet is guess.

He is WAAAAAYYY more athletic than those 2. His game is different too.
No, he certainly is NOT way more athletic than Stockton. That’s an absurd statement.

Stockton may not have been a high flying leaper, but he was lightning quick, considered one of the fastest players in the NBA at his peak, and also had insanely quick hands (and also was known for nearly superhuman stamina).

You don’t become the NBA’s All-Time steals leader by a wide margin …and one of the greatest defensive guards ever ….without elite athleticism.

Sorry to anyone thinking he may return. Dude is a generational player. To be a freshman and have such a complete game is a once in a decade or more occurrence.
Who was the last freshman guard with his impact? Pretty wild to think about. Especially coming in unheralded by many.

Reactions: cal=8
Reed is ranked high in every mock draft I have seen but no one has him as the #1 pick except for "The Ringer". KSR is the first place I have heard of The Ringer. Happy for Reed but I am still doubtful he is the #1 pick. I am going against common sense by holding on to a hope that he comes back. If not, Travis Perry, time to step up buddy.

Reactions: cal=8
Just checked KSRs source, The Ringer Mock Draft. They have Reed as #2 behind Alex Sarr. Dillingham is at #7. Both of our guys are worthy but the overall mock draft seems very off. Every Duke guard , except Roach, is included. Eliott Cadeau is on the edge of first round, not impressed with him. Edwards at 39 and DJ at 45 may be okay but I think Edwards will climb. There is not another Cat listed in the top 50. They even left Reeves out. I am being kind when I say, The Ringer sucks.

If Reed is the #1 pick, some NBA execs are going to be job hunting.
This is a weak draft. It’s the type of draft where you reach for a guy a bit if he’d be exactly what you need.

Even if you didn’t need a Wemby you draft them if it’s a strong draft. This year you reach a bit for a Sheppard if he fits your needs.

That’s the problem with todays world.. one or two people get to talking about someone then all of a sudden they’re made into a God. Reed is a really good basketball player but there’s no way he’s a #1 pick

The Ringer draft people aint the best in A) being plugged in and predicting what will happen or B) picking the best prospects. In the same mock they list Justin Edwards player comparison as Malik Monk. Amateur stuff like that litters their draft work

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT