ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

This wasn't a surprise or an upset by any stretch.

You have the MLB leader in K's in the 2 hole who is hitting .188 for the month, and then you have a juggernaut of Espinal, Wynn, Benson and Dunn in the bottom half. That isn't Lexington Legends worthy.
There's nobody on the Reds roster that would do a better job in the two hole than De La Cruz. The kid is 22 years old and getting better and better. He leads the league in stolen bases and is second in runs scored. He's in the top 20 in OBPS. Avg up to .251. He also just got named to the All-Star team. There's a whole bunch of things the Reds need to be ripped about and a whole bunch of players that don't deserve to be in the lineup or even on the roster. But you're zeroing in on the wrong guy.

Last edited:
Ben Lively has won 8 games in 14 starts for Cleveland with a 3.14 ERA. Damn that one stings. He had some moments like this last year in Cincinnati before injuries ruined his season. Never bounced back. The biggest key for him will be for him to sustain that but already a career year for him. Would have been nice in the 5 spot this year and much cheaper than Nick Martinez.

Reactions: CalCat57
Keep taking Greene out with a 3 hit shutout after 7. Only 104 pitches. Bell sucks.
I was at that game, I knew he was due to come out. 40 pitches in the first two innings cost him some on the backend as he got stronger as the game went on. But I hope he punched Cruz in the face for blowing what would have been an impressive win for him.

There's nobody on the Reds roster that would do a better job in the two hole than De La Cruz. The kid is 22 years old and getting better and better. He leads the league in stolen bases and is second in runs scored. He's in the top 20 in OBPS. Avg up to .251. He also just got named to the All-Star team. There's a whole bunch of things the Reds need to be ripped about and a whole bunch of players that don't deserve to be in the lineup or even on the roster. But you're zeroing in on the wrong guy.
EDLC must have did some bad things to Coles mama, he's been on here ripping into him with just about every post he makes.

Damn Hinds tore that ball all pieces to the 2nd deck again!! First player with 5 extra base hits in 2 games in MLB history. Hitting them up there in Wily Mo territory from the right side of the plate.

Damn Hinds tore that ball all pieces to the 2nd deck again!! First player with 5 extra base hits in 2 games in MLB history. Hitting them up there in Wily Mo territory from the right side of the plate.

I know reality will set in and he will come back to earth once teams get a scouting report on him, but damn that’s an impressive start. If he can harness at least some of that for the long term, he’s just the piece the Reds need in the outfield that can mash in GABC.

Really dumb question, but is it possible that some guys adjust to Big league pitching better than they do the lower levels? I know there’s a difference and some guys that master minor league pitching can struggle when called up. Can the opposite be true sometimes too?

I know reality will set in and he will come back to earth once teams get a scouting report on him, but damn that’s an impressive start. If he can harness at least some of that for the long term, he’s just the piece the Reds need in the outfield that can mash in GABC.

Really dumb question, but is it possible that some guys adjust to Big league pitching better than they do the lower levels? I know there’s a difference and some guys that master minor league pitching can struggle when called up. Can the opposite be true sometimes too?
It certainly can for some guys. Matt McLain was one of them who blew me away with how quick he adjusted to the majors and his MILB numbers weren't overly impressive to me until reaching Louisville last year before the May call-up. I was watching a Dodgers game a few years back and the analysts were discussing this when talking about Cody Bellinger during his rookie season about why you see some players come up to the big leagues and hit for more power when they are called up with access to better training.

Also, the dimensions and lights in the stadium compared to some of the facilities across the country have an impact in players hitting better in MLB. Once they get to the MLB level, they are expected to have worked on pitch recognition/plate discipline as they continue to develop in the minor leagues. Some adjust to pitching at the MLB level faster than others with the quality of pitchers having better command and good pitches in the zone to swing at opposed to some MILB pitchers developing their repertoire and throwing gas causing a lot of hitters to strikeout swinging for the fences like Austin Hendrick.

Hinds will definitely have an adjustment period in MLB to come. Especially with the pitch in his last AB that he chased out of the zone for a strikeout and should have laid off. He should be fine long term though with his power in GABP if he can stay healthy, He had 5 IL trips in a 2-year span missing lengthy periods of time due to an ACL tear and hamstring issues. I was about to make a post in here a week ago thinking the Reds should take a chance on calling him up and see what happens. He is much more talented than Aquino who did not sustain his amazing start to his career before it fell apart.

Last edited:
Hinds was dominated in AAA, and K'd 40% of the time. A few games of AB's and his weaknesses will shine thru immediately in scouting reports, and then we will see if he can make adjustments. Of course, Sadak already has him in the HOF alongside KKKKKruz.

Hinds was dominated in AAA, and K'd 40% of the time. A few games of AB's and his weaknesses will shine thru immediately in scouting reports, and then we will see if he can make adjustments. Of course, Sadak already has him in the HOF alongside KKKKKruz.
If the Reds bring you this much misery, why in the hell do you follow them? No one will disagree with your first two points and that what we have seen in 2 games is sustainable but worry about that when it happens.

When you gonna pick on Noelvi Marte for going 3 for 43 since after his first game?

When you gonna pick on Noelvi Marte for going 3 for 43 since after his first game?
It is what it is and to be expected when he has gotten this far cheating before getting caught. Wasn't good in Louisville before the call up and this is an extension of that. Obviously I hope he gets it turned around but he has it all to prove that he can play baseball without the use of PEDs. Wouldn't hesitate a minute to sit his ass on the bench if this keeps up with the Reds starting to get players back healthy soon with Friedl and now McLain resuming baseball activities. A Mid-Aug return seems possible for McLain. The Reds can field a good lineup with Steer, Friedl, Fraley & Hinds in the outfield. Steer and Candelario at 1B/3B, India, McLain & EDLC from and fill DH with whoever is not in the field that day.

No need...his stats speak for themselves, yet the fans, Sadak, etc....still act like he is the second coming of Machado.
I don't really care what Sadak says and why you hang so much on it, I don't know. He's paid handsomely to hype up the Reds on the air. That's his job. But What fans on here have thought Marte was the second coming of Machado? He was a highly regarded prospect and has barely had any service time in the majors, We expect him to be good down the road, but nobody is proclaiming him to be anything.

And if his "stats speak for themselves" then why do you feel the need to HAMMER EDLC with every. single. post. Don't his "stats speak for themselves" too?

I don't really care what Sadak says and why you hang so much on it, I don't know. He's paid handsomely to hype up the Reds on the air. That's his job. But What fans on here have thought Marte was the second coming of Machado? He was a highly regarded prospect and has barely had any service time in the majors, We expect him to be good down the road, but nobody is proclaiming him to be anything.

And if his "stats speak for themselves" then why do you feel the need to HAMMER EDLC with every. single. post. Don't his "stats speak for themselves" too?
Couldn't have said that better myself. His f***** shtick is beyond tiresome.

Hunter Greene was electric out there on the mound today. Hopefully Stephenson can carry over this offensive production. I like what I have seen from Wynns as a backup catcher, 6 for 13 in 4 games so far when you consider the offense from Maile who is there as a defensive first guy to handle the pitch staff when Stephenson is not behind the plate.

Hunter Greene was electric out there on the mound today. Hopefully Stephenson can carry over this offensive production. I like what I have seen from Wynns as a backup catcher, 6 for 13 in 4 games so far when you consider the offense from Maile who is there as a defensive first guy to handle the pitch staff when Stephenson is not behind the plate.
Greene's been electric for a while now. he's putting the pieces together to be a dominant pitcher. He was robbed his last outing when Cruz came in an promptly ruined his great day. If he could jusst get his pitch count managed a little better, he could be an ace.

Reactions: Tskware and dtjr
Greene's been electric for a while now. he's putting the pieces together to be a dominant pitcher. He was robbed his last outing when Cruz came in an promptly ruined his great day. If he could jusst get his pitch count managed a little better, he could be an ace.
Greene is the ACE of this Reds pitching staff. He isn't an All-Star and got paid the big bucks in the contract extension for no reason. I'm aware Greene has 'been electric for a while now' simply complementing his start yesterday wasn't undermining his season performance on the year but highlighting it as one of this best with a season-high 10 K's.

Rece Hinds with the grand slam. No slowing down for him!! Spiers with 8 K's through the first 3 innings. Carson has been doing a solid job sliding into that 5th man spot.

Watching Hinds blast another one, then EDLC hit one off the batter's eye, now Candelario to put them back on top. Steer before that. WOW!!

Last edited:
Good for Santillan, bad for Spiers. Reds have lost 2 SPs, Spiers/Ashcraft, in a matter of just a few days. Start messing with a shoulder for a pitcher and things get real serious real quick, just ask Justin Dunn.
Looks like they will have to go with Nick Martinez now. Doesn't sound like Ashcraft is back anytime soon and at least one start for Spiers with the AS Break factored in. Maybe Suter opens again and Martinez eats innings after that. Louisville doesn't have many options outside of Lyon Richardson or Randy Wynne who had a shot up here already. Aguiar has looked good since the promotion but probably a stretch to think they call him up this soon. Phillips should be sent down to A Ball or somewhere else but Louisville with that 10.11 ERA.

Another 2-run rocket for Hinds. Never seen anything like this. Even has Espinal stepping his game up lately.
Hinds is certainly exciting but to temper somewhat, all he's seen are Colo/Miami staffs. Those teams are 30 games below .500 each. But I'll give him this much...the guy has prodigious power and he's only 23. Also, Cam Collier had a long HR in the Futures game today. Get those guys going with EDLC, Steer, Marte, a healthy CES and the Reds have several guys with 30-40 HR potential. Word of caution...Miami had 15 hits today off Reds pitching.

Hinds is certainly exciting but to temper somewhat, all he's seen are Colo/Miami staffs. Those teams are 30 games below .500 each. But I'll give him this much...the guy has prodigious power and he's only 23. Also, Cam Collier had a long HR in the Futures game today. Get those guys going with EDLC, Steer, Marte, a healthy CES and the Reds have several guys with 30-40 HR potential. Word of caution...Miami had 15 hits today off Reds pitching.
I agree, he is getting his feet wet against some easy teams to start. Like I said in my large post above that he will have an adjustment period once the league gets a book out on him. I do like how one of his 2nd deck home runs was off a curve ball and that he isn't just smoking fast balls all over GABP.

Reactions: mrschwump
Just a terrible loss today for the Reds before the All-Star break. That's one that will come back to haunt them.

Reds take Chase Burns 2nd, great pitcher from Wake Forest. 10-1, 2.70 ERA & 191 K's in 82.2 innings. Fast Ball tops out at 102 MPH.

Last edited:
Reds take Chase Burns 2nd, great pitcher from Wake Forest. 8-1, 2.72 ERA & 162 K's in 82.2 innings. Fast Ball tops out at 102 MPH.

Not a fan of max effort pitchers, arm injuries waiting to happen. This guy will have TJ surgery within 2 years. Reds took a Wake guy last year and he's struggling. Is it systemic or just one of those things? Time will tell. Otherwise, Rockies to Reds: "Thank you very much!!"

Reactions: Crazycat68
Not a fan of max effort pitchers, arm injuries waiting to happen. This guy will have TJ surgery within 2 years. Reds took a Wake guy last year and he's struggling. Is it systemic or just one of those things? Time will tell. Otherwise, Rockies to Reds: "Thank you very much!!"
Burns hasn't had any injuries before so that is a good thing. Tommy John's surgery has come so far pitchers are having multiple these days and it isn't exactly career-ending that it was 10-20 years ago. Reminds me of Hunter Greene who they also took with the #2 pick and it is paying off for them now. IMO, this was a safe pick for the Reds with his high upside. 4-pitch pitcher (FB, slider, change up, curveball) and has good control, 0.920 WHIP with 30 BB and 4 hit batters. The slugger Charlie Condon in the outfield would have been a great pick too but I can't fault the Reds with this pick for a guy that could be up with the Reds within a year or so.

Burns hasn't had any injuries before so that is a good thing. Tommy John's surgery has come so far pitchers are having multiple these days and it isn't exactly career-ending that it was 10-20 years ago. Reminds me of Hunter Greene who they also took with the #2 pick and it is paying off for them now. IMO, this was a safe pick for the Reds with his high upside. 4-pitch pitcher (FB, slider, change up, curveball) and has good control, 0.920 WHIP with 30 BB and 4 hit batters. The slugger Charlie Condon in the outfield would have been a great pick too but I can't fault the Reds with this pick for a guy that could be up with the Reds within a year or so.
Oh I agree re TJ, Reds picked a guy last year who had TJ when he was 15. I just don't think Burns will last, if they wanted to take a P should've taken the LHP out of Arkansas, 2 years younger. When you play in a tiny ballpark build your team around power hitters, they have a good start now...don't stop.

Sure was hoping for Condon. Need bats in the lineup.

Reactions: mrschwump
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT