ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Diaz is still like playing with a set of dice. You don’t know what you are going to get. Yet the Reds keep trotting him out there!

I despise Milwaukee. Montas had a decent start going, but Bell should have pulled him after the 5th. When he is on, good for about 5 innings. Would have liked to seen Martinez relieve Frankie there instead of Sims inheriting 2 base runners on and give us the multiple innings in middle relief. Reds need someone else better in high-leverage situations with Pagan also out until mid-July. Cruz has been good for the Reds, though he has already appeared in 33 games this year.

There has to be someone available better than Lucas Sims, at least for pressure situations, I knew he was gonna give up a bomb when they brought him in

Still would like to see Tony Santillan get another shot with some experience already in Cincinnati. 11 saves for the Bats this year. Zach Maxwell is another one to watch who is rising through the ranks this year. Santillan needs to be the next pitcher called up whenever the time comes.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbourfor3
Still would like to see Tony Santillan get another shot with some experience already in Cincinnati. 11 saves for the Bats this year. Zach Maxwell is another one to watch who is rising through the ranks this year. Santillan needs to be the next pitcher called up whenever the time comes.
Went to the Bats game yesterday and saw Santillian finish the game. he throws hard. He hit 100 on his last pitch. they lost the game, but it wasn't his fault. Alex Young pitched some too and did well outside of giving up a homer. The starter gave up a homer, a single, a Homer and a double to the first four batters before he settled down and actually pitched decently the rest of his outing, but he got rocked right out of the gate.

The gulp factor with the Reds as it applies to the farm system is it went from an embarrassment of riches seemingly a year ago to a remarkably depleted bunch in remarkable time. Philips basically turned into Rick Ankiel II against St. Louis in September and has been historically awful since. Brandon Williamson went from a serious candidate to be the 5th starter to injury MIA. Chattanooga went from being an every night highlight must see for Rece Hinds, Noelvi Marte and Connor Philips highlights to one of the worst teams in all of minor league baseball sporting a .100 winning percentage. Injuries to Matt McClain, Encarnacion-Strand, Williamson as well as a very promising Arroyo have turned the perception of a young franchise around. Not to mention Marte; I'll be interested to see how much of his metereoric rise from AA to pennant chase regular was the byproduct of PEDs until evidence to the contrary. The real outlier in all of this is that the 6"5, 200 slender as a rail 22 year old playing SS has proven to be the only durable part on the whole 40 man roster.

For the dump Lucas Sims crowd--who admittedly is a terd kicker with inherited runners--think of where this Reds team would be if they gave up India or Stephenson on the cheap like a whole bunch of Internet dugout jockies wanted.

My single disappointment is probably Ashcraft; there is no reason that type of stuff can't translate to more consistency. He goes month plus really good, month plus really bad and has to get corrected to get back on the bump. He's the Jay Bruce of starters.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrschwump
It's like the yearly Revolving door of IL madness that plagues the Reds. Thankfully it hasn't hit the core group of starters, even though Lodolo got a bit of a late start. He's probably been the best of the group overall since coming off the IL. Have to think Ashcraft will be back up sooner rather than later. I think the demotion was just trying to light a fire under his ass.

Off Topic, I've been seeing some TikTok videos of Trevor Bauer pitching for a team down in Mexico. He's on there being his typical asshat self, but he is also just toying with batters down there. Making them look foolish. I know most of the league wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole, but he could legit be a difference maker on almost any roster right now.

Off Topic, I've been seeing some TikTok videos of Trevor Bauer pitching for a team down in Mexico. He's on there being his typical asshat self, but he is also just toying with batters down there. Making them look foolish. I know most of the league wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole, but he could legit be a difference maker on almost any roster right now.
It is more likely than not Bauer's success with the Reds was a byproduct of whatever tacking the baseball means; it showed up in those spin rates that were all the rage with the Sabermetric gurus. It is also very possible that is why we have seen the descent of Connor Phillips--at AA Chattanooga that League allowed for tacked baseballs--since promotion out of that league he has been a shadow of what he was beyond just the inability to throw strikes.

It is more likely than not Bauer's success with the Reds was a byproduct of whatever tacking the baseball means; it showed up in those spin rates that were all the rage with the Sabermetric gurus. It is also very possible that is why we have seen the descent of Connor Phillips--at AA Chattanooga that League allowed for tacked baseballs--since promotion out of that league he has been a shadow of what he was beyond just the inability to throw strikes.
Bauer's reason for being out of the league has nothing to do with his "tacking the baseball" or whatever. If he'd been smart enough to avoid psycho chicks, he'd still be an Ace in the Dodger's rotation and an All-Star.

Speaking of Chattanooga, that might be the worst team in all of AA. The minor leagues for the Reds are not in good shape.

Bauer's reason for being out of the league has nothing to do with his "tacking the baseball" or whatever. If he'd been smart enough to avoid psycho chicks, he'd still be an Ace in the Dodger's rotation and an All-Star.
I didn't mean to imply that...the reason an ump inspects the glove of pitcher's when they come off between innings was Bauer's ratting out the game that resin was being used to improve the grip and "tack" a ball after his stint with the Reds. When Bauer's baseballs were inspected they were sticky in alot of cases while with the Dodgers; after that controversy the glove inspections began to come into play.

Speaking of Chattanooga, that might be the worst team in all of AA. The minor leagues for the Reds are not in good shape.
Overall they're still ranked upper half, but most of the top guys in A ball. Chattanooga does three good starting pitching prospects in Lowder, Petty, and Aguiar.

Reds need a 5th starter. Going to end up being the same story as last year in the 2nd half if they can't find someone serviceable enough to not implode every 5th game.
I'm baffled as to why it was so necessary to demote Ashcraft in the first place, and hopefully he back as soon as the 15 days are up.

Reactions: CalCat57
Absolutely pathetic performance from this anemic offense by the Reds in this series. 2 hits today. The Brewers gave Cincinnati a dose of reality for those of you crowing that they were back prematurely. You can't expect to contend and drop a division series on the road to Pittsburgh. Pitching wasn't even all that bad, considering Spiers settled in for 6 innings and 4 runs. Friedl's injury blows, he is key to this lineup at the top of the order. Having him out no doubt hurts the Reds. Grand total of 3 runs scored this series.

Last edited:
Absolutely pathetic performance from this anemic offense by the Reds in this series. 2 hits today. The Brewers gave Cincinnati a dose of reality for those of you crowing that they were back prematurely. You can't expect to contend and drop a division series on the road to Pittsburgh. Pitching wasn't even all that bad, considering Spiers settled in for 6 innings and 4 runs. Friedl's injury blows, he is key to this lineup at the top of the order. Having him out no doubt hurts the Reds. Grand total of 3 runs scored this series.
And look who had the hits. Reds have got to get Steer, ELDC, TS, Candy et al hitting the baseball. Paltry effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT