ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Makes you wonder how they will approach the deadline. Do they just stick with what they’ve got? Outside of maybe a couple of guys. I don’t think they should necessarily be sellers, but I have to think they won’t be spending a ton either, banking that all the injured guys will be back and ready to go in the spring and they try again next year hoping they can stay healthy. Cant complain about the pitching staff too much they’ve grown a lot and of the core none have really had any serious injuries. Lodolo’s blister was probably a mild blessing to get him a rest.

They’re only 3.5 games out of the wildcard race. The NL central is Milwaukee and everyone else. What I can’t grasp is how the Reds can play well against the best of the best yet crap the bed against the worst.
Better teams are overlooking them. Reds may be very ordinary but teams can't just show up and beat them. NYY's, however, have been slumping of late before the Reds came to town. Reds are winning with good pitching, hitting is still weak although opportunistic.

Makes you wonder how they will approach the deadline. Do they just stick with what they’ve got? Outside of maybe a couple of guys. I don’t think they should necessarily be sellers, but I have to think they won’t be spending a ton either, banking that all the injured guys will be back and ready to go in the spring and they try again next year hoping they can stay healthy. Cant complain about the pitching staff too much they’ve grown a lot and of the core none have really had any serious injuries. Lodolo’s blister was probably a mild blessing to get him a rest.

They’re only 3.5 games out of the wildcard race. The NL central is Milwaukee and everyone else. What I can’t grasp is how the Reds can play well against the best of the best yet crap the bed against the worst.
Brad Meador said in an article the other day that how the Reds play over the course of the next week or so will determine if they are buyers or sellers. After last season leading the NL Central after the deadline and only adding Sam Moll at the time, setting the bar low for how active they will be on the open market. The article mentioned targeting outfielders like Taylor Ward & Brent Rooker who the Reds could afford. Getting another bullpen arm will help any team just like Moll has done for Cincinnati since he came over.

Getting healthy and staying healthy will be the best thing for this team. Friedl for damn sure will change this offense and whatever McLain can give them if he comes back. Don't really want to see India out of the lineup though no matter who comes in and the Reds will face that logjam issue of Marte, EDLC, India, McLain & Candelario. Steer can fill the LF void and both Steer & Candelario at 1B. DH for the odd man out not in the field for the rest. Midseason while trying to contend isn't the time to experiment with EDLC in the outfield or India anywhere but 2B or his natural 3B. I doubt we see CES back in time with a potential season-ending ending surgery in a week on his fractured hand. Oddly enough, I feel much better about the Reds chances with what they have right now. A sweep of the Yankees, sweeping the Dodgers & taking the season series of the Phillies too is impressive.

Last edited:
Miracles do happen. Reds just swept NYY in a 3 game series for first time ever in New York
Or the Reds are playing better baseball, getting players back and living up to the potential of the team many thought they were supposed to be at the start of the year.

Better teams are overlooking them. Reds may be very ordinary but teams can't just show up and beat them. NYY's, however, have been slumping of late before the Reds came to town. Reds are winning with good pitching, hitting is still weak although opportunistic.
The Reds offense has been much better over the last few weeks. Even Cole's boy EDLC has been a .290 hitter over the last 15 games and India has done a complete 180

Reactions: The-Hack
Or the Reds are playing better baseball, getting players back and living up to the potential of the team many thought they were supposed to be at the start of the year.
Still a long season. The Reds have to play better within the NL Central and win a series vs Milwaukee, St. Louis instead of a split and take advantage of the Pirates like they have with the Cubs. It is a decent schedule for the remainder of July now that they knocked the giant out of the way sweeping New York for the 1st time since the '76 World Series. Head into the All-Star break with a homestand playing Detroit, Colorado & Miami. Come out of it with road trips to Washington, Atlanta, TB and finish at home vs the Cubs. If the Reds take care of business, Cincinnati could get back to the .500 mark and decide to be buyers.

Montas. Helluva start. You know the Yankees crowd was probably razzing him all game after the way last couple of years went with Frankie basically hurt the entire time after the trade. Came in there today in Yankee Stadium, got the win with 5 innings and 2 runs. Made them regret letting him walk. Overall, I am impressed with how the Reds rotation is holding up knock on wood. Abbott was excellent in his start vs the Yankees and Ashcraft was rolling before the 6th inning though the Reds won anyways. Spiers has been solid this year. Huge that Hunter Greene has maintained not getting injured and has had a good season.

Last edited:
Miracles do happen. Reds just swept NYY in a 3 game series for first time ever in New York

First time Yankees have been swept at home by a National League team since inter-league play began (I read, today.).

First Reds sweep of the Yanks since that little World Series 4-0 sweep in ‘76!!!

• Love
Reactions: Tskware
Still a long season. The Reds have to play better within the NL Central and win a series vs Milwaukee, St. Louis instead of a split and take advantage of the Pirates like they have with the Cubs. It is a decent schedule for the remainder of July now that they knocked the giant out of the way sweeping New York for the 1st time since the '76 World Series. Head into the All-Star break with a homestand playing Detroit, Colorado & Miami. Come out of it with road trips to Washington, Atlanta, TB and finish at home vs the Cubs. If the Reds take care of business, Cincinnati could get back to the .500 mark and decide to be buyers.
Like I pointed out earlier. They play like gangbusters against the best of the best as evidenced by their sweep of the Yankees in NY. Now they’ll come home and drop two of three to Detroit. I’ll be there Saturday afternoon. Hopefully for the winning game.

Reds managed to get it up to 7 hits after the rain delay and scored 2 in the 9th thanks to an RBI single by Steer and a triple by Martini. 5-4 Detroit. Greene & Ashcraft starting the next two games. Steer also had a home run in the game and his bat has been showing some life lately. Also, some help on the way with Lodolo expected to come off the IL on the 9th to bump either Spiers or Ashcraft from the rotation and Friedl has an MRI on the 8th. If all goes well, he could return after the All-Star Break.

Last edited:
The Houston Chronicle is saying the Astros are showing some interest in Candelario if the Reds end up being sellers. On the other hand, if the Reds end up going for it, Jazz Chisholm was mentioned as a trade target for the Reds. The proposal suggested they would want Petty, Jorge, Dunn and a PTBNL. For a .260 hitter, they could get Brent Rooker for Lyon Richardson, Blake Dunn and one of the infield prospects Collier who was listed. Rooker would bring much needed power in the outfield from the right hand side of the plate and would easily see his power numbers shoot up in Great American Ballpark.

Since there isn't a StL thread I'll throw this in here. StL getting abused by the Nats today :mad: I guess I'll check out the Red Legs game. That game looks more interesting.

If only the Reds could get half of this lineup all going at the same time. We have seen EDLC, Stephenson, India, Candelario and now Steer again all have their hot streaks at some point this season. None longer than a couple of weeks at a time. Dropping a series to Detroit at home is costly while trying to get back to the .500 mark. I don't understand why they can go into Yankee Stadium and sweep them, take the season series vs the Phillies and sweep the Dodgers at home. Then shit the bed and play down to other losing teams like Detroit. Just like last year, this team has a worst record at home than they do on the road. Cincinnati clearly needs to get a dominant setup reliever before Diaz. Moll was awful today and Cruz has been terrible lately. Pagan won't be back until mid-August.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT