ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

India's turnaround recently and Stephenson giving solid production at the plate over the last month are encouraging signs. Wasn't Steer's night but he has been playing better. No coincidence this team has looked better since Friedl has been back and is a spark plug for this lineup. Hurtubise and Dunn could be this for the Reds in time. Already seen some glimpses of it with Jacob, especially with the sac bunt moving both runners over. Benson's 2-run double tonight and he has been coming around lately. We may not have All-Star outfielders, but they are starting to get production from guys who fill their role. Add one big time bat in the outfield and let these other guys settle into their roles. Candelario isn't killing them either anymore, nearly a .280 hitter over the past month.
Getting Marte, CES and McLain back will help more than anything.

• Love
Reactions: Tskware
Finding a way to get all of infielders in the lineup every day without disrupting the production the Reds are getting with the infield now is going to be a challenge. There is no 2 ways about it, 2-3 players will be the odd man out every day.

4 spots to go around the IF for EDLC, India, Steer, Marte, McLain, CES & Candelario. Say most starts go to Marte at 3B, EDLC is safe at SS, 2B McLain, 1B CES. Make shift outfield with LF Steer, CF Friedl, RF Fraley. DH India. Candelario is the odd man out and Benson a reserve. Most here are probably fine with that. Sounds easy but we all know this won't be the lineup every day with Bell. Still not sold on how good of a player Marte is without the PEDs. Noelvi has a lot to prove once he returns later this month. Release or trade Espinal, one of Hurtubise/Dunn are getting optioned back to Louisville.

Fairchild should stay unless they make a splash for a huge outfield addition and saw a rumor of Luis Robert of the White Sox which is intriguing. 26 y/o, Gold Glove and a All-Star silver slugger. Fairchild plays hard and can give you everything Hurtubise/Dunn can in small doses. He is fine for a defensive replacement outfielder and has won me over with his home run robs and inside the park HR. A little league HR last year and can drive it out of the park on occasion. Could do much worse as your 5th outfielder considering we had Bubba Thompson in here.

Last edited:
Finding a way to get all of infielders in the lineup every day without disrupting the production the Reds are getting with the infield now is going to be a challenge. There is no 2 ways about it, 2-3 players will be the odd man out every day.

4 spots to go around the IF for EDLC, India, Steer, Marte, McLain, CES & Candelario. Say most starts go to Marte at 3B, EDLC is safe at SS, 2B McLain, 1B CES. Make shift outfield with LF Steer, CF Friedl, RF Fraley. DH India. Candelario is the odd man out and Benson a reserve. Most here are probably fine with that. Sounds easy but we all know this won't be the lineup every day with Bell. Still not sold on how good of a player Marte is without the PEDs. Noelvi has a lot to prove once he returns later this month. Release or trade Espinal, one of Hurtubise/Dunn are getting optioned back to Louisville.

Fairchild should stay unless they make a splash for a huge outfield addition and saw a rumor of Luis Robert of the White Sox which is intriguing. 26 y/o, Gold Glove and a All-Star silver slugger. Fairchild plays hard and can give you everything Hurtubise/Dunn can in small doses. He is fine for a defensive replacement outfielder and has won me over with his home run robs and inside the park HR. A little league HR last year and can drive it out of the park on occasion. Could do much worse as your 5th outfielder considering we had Bubba Thompson in here.
I think the Reds need Hurtubise in the line up. He’s the everyday lead off hitter that sets the tone for the rest of the lineup. IMO!

I'm not confident McClain makes it back this year, if he does it will be very late in the season. I think his return at all hinges on where they are in the standings come August/Sept. I know Candelario was signed to a multi-year deal, but if he continues playing like he has been recently would he be a good mid-season trade-bait or would nobody want to take on that contract?

Ashcraft just got demoted
Kinda shocked, but not, to see that. but it's a testament to how the Pitching staff has progressed and actually remained healthy so far this year. (knocking on every piece of wood I can find) Timing seems to play out for maybe Williamson coming up next week when the Guardians come to town? or they throw a bullpen game against cleveland before they go back to Greene, Lodolo, Abbott, Montas then bring up Williamson when they head to Pittsburgh.

Kinda shocked, but not, to see that. but it's a testament to how the Pitching staff has progressed and actually remained healthy so far this year. (knocking on every piece of wood I can find) Timing seems to play out for maybe Williamson coming up next week when the Guardians come to town? or they throw a bullpen game against cleveland before they go back to Greene, Lodolo, Abbott, Montas then bring up Williamson when they head to Pittsburgh.
Martinez will surely play a large part in it whether he is the 5th named starter or they go with a bullpen game using Nick eating 4-5 innings in middle relief. They will still have to figure out who is getting moved for Williamson when he returns and the Ashcraft demotion doesn't sound like it's a long term plan for him to be down there

Last edited:
I'm not confident McClain makes it back this year, if he does it will be very late in the season. I think his return at all hinges on where they are in the standings come August/Sept. I know Candelario was signed to a multi-year deal, but if he continues playing like he has been recently would he be a good mid-season trade-bait or would nobody want to take on that contract?
I agree with that on McLain. Even if he returns, how much can you realistically expect him to contribute in '24 after missing nearly a year. Reds would have to eat salary to move Candelario, but read where Cubs fans miss him after Madrigal went down.

“EDLC had 67 career stolen bases and 57 extra-base hits following Wednesday's game and, per MLB.com writer and researcher Sarah Langs and Elias Sports, became the only player since 1900 with 65+ SB and 50+ extra-base hits within one year of his first game in the majors.”

Welp, scratch what I posted earlier then. But the schedule could still stand, but for Ashcraft to rejoin in Pittsburgh. Give him a couple of starts in Louisville to get his crap together, then bring him back.
An article I read today states that Williamson may be out for the season. Suggests it is a real possibility. If not Ashcraft or Martinez, still have Carson Spiers in the mix who could get another start. I still see a bullpen game with Nick coming in later to eat innings which is a role he has excelled in relief. Spiers is coming around lately in Louisville and has been decent this year in his short stint with the Reds.

As long as Candelario is hitting, don't move him. Switch hitter and was signed in theory that Bell wouldn't have to overmanage the lineups with the lefty/right splits as much forcing platoon players like Senzel in the lineup last year. Another home run today for Candelario and he is the most experienced player in the lineup on a daily basis. Someone needs to fill that role of veteran leadership, especially after losing Votto. EDLC may be the face of the franchise, though India's presence in the clubhouse having him as a team leader is vital to the Reds success. With India playing better lately, so have the Reds.

Last edited:
An article I read today states that Williamson may be out for the season. Suggests it is a real possibility. If not Ashcraft or Martinez, still have Carson Spiers in the mix who could get another start. I still see a bullpen game with Nick coming in later to eat innings which is a role he has excelled in relief. Spiers is coming around lately in Louisville and has been decent this year in his short stint with the Reds.

Hopefully the rest of the rotation stays healthy. They have been carrying this team throughout the year and in the coming months it will be time to think about pushing starts back, skipping some in order to last for the stretch run. Injuries to the rotation is what killed this team in the 2nd half. The offense has been coming around and even more help is on the way with Marte & CES.

7 in a row!

Hitting has obviously improved, but those batting averages on the season look marginal, at best.

Get India and EDLC above .275 for the season, and where do the Reds land?

Important to stat on the Box Score: 40K in attendance.

Sure, Chicago helped with several thousand, but if the Reds could boost attendance by 5K per game, average, for the 40 second-half games, at an average of $40.00 a seat, that’s another 8 million in revenue, not counting beer/pop sales.

Last edited:

Sounds like Ashcraft has to stay down a minimum of 15 days, so I assume it would be Spiers or Martinez until he’s eligible to return.

Damn I get so envious at how fast the Braves promote their top prospects on a routine basis. Don't waste any time. Their 1st Round pick in '23 Hurston Waldrep to debut tomorrow. Wish the Reds had the level of player development to fast track prospects that Atlanta & Tampa Bay have in their farm system.

Last edited:
Reactions: trueblujr2
Damn I get so envious at how fast the Braves promote their top prospects on a routine basis. Don't waste any time. Their 1st Round pick in '23 Hurston Waldrep to debut tomorrow. Wish the Reds had the level of player development to fast track prospects that Atlanta & Tampa Bay have in their farm system.
EDLC is the same age as Waldrep. Matt McLain is 24. Hunter Greene is 24. Andrew Abbott just turned 25.

EDLC is the same age as Waldrep. Matt McLain is 24. Hunter Greene is 24. Andrew Abbott just turned 25.
When is the last time the Reds called up a player who only needed 18 games in the minors like Waldrep? None of those players you mention. I can only think of Mike Leake 15 years ago as a rare occurrence with 0 MILB games. 3 years ago Michael Harris at 20 debuts for the Braves, Acuna at 20 before that, AJ Smith-Shawver 20, Ozzie Albies 20, Soroka at 20 had him before they just traded Mike to Chicago. See what I am saying? I would love for someone to find the last time the Reds had an impact player at 20 or better yet counter my actual point to begin with in fast tracking by the number of minor league games to develop players in the Reds pipeline before they debut. Nats had both Soto & Harper at 19 years old. Hell, even Atlanta brought up Andruw Jones at 19 in the 90s. Last year the Angels called up their '23 pick Nolan Schanuel after only 22 games. Skenes in Pittsburgh this year too and Wyatt Langford in Texas. Some of these are historically quick, but at the same time, after decades of losing there is no excuse why the Reds have not had these can't miss prospects rocket through the system more often than once every 15 years.

Last edited:
Good wins for Reds. I’m not sure why Sims is the backup closer. He doesn’t have the stuff to put batters away.

It seems like the Reds have really struggled with long relievers. Sims stinks and TJ Antone is made of glass.

I would give Spiers the 5th man spot after today's performance until they feel Ashcraft is ready to go. We need to see what he can do in an extended run. Who knows, Spiers may take that role and run with it. If he falters, Nick Martinez is best when he comes in for those long relief outings.

Honestly, I am to the point that Cincinnati can do better than Frankie Montas and today's performance along with a slew of others this year is more proof he isn't getting it done. 3 quality starts out of his last 10, 1 win since April 3rd for the guy supposed to be the anchor of this rotation and the Opening Day Starter. That is great how he mowed down the Colorado Rockies, the worst team in the National League for 2+ years now. With that said, when Ashcraft is ready there may still be a rotation for Spiers if he takes off after today.

Last edited:
Reds have totally mishandled CES's injury. Just a damned shame such incompetence is allowed, bunch of quacks.
Their whole entire training and medical staff needs to be overhauled. One would think the vast numbers of injuries that are taking far too long to recover from would be an indication of this, but no.

Reactions: mrschwump
So are we still mad at Candelario? Is he still a wasted contract? Last 15 games he's batting .306. last seven games he's at .328. If you go out 30 games he's at .277. his production is ramping up dramatically. I know it will level off, but if it does that somewhere around his current level of production, it's a win win. He single handedly won the game for them last night.

Reactions: The-Hack
Hopefully the Reds can overcome the strange dominance of the Brewers from the last few years.

Love to see the Reds get a series win up there!!

Reds defense has been awful tonight.
It was a poor effort defensively, though getting a win in Milwaukee is huge for this Reds team with the struggles in recent years against the Brewers. A game under .500. Nearly blew it in the most Cincinnati Reds way possible. Glad Bauers slide right into Tyler's glove there. Friedl with his 4th home run in 2 weeks and 3 hits in the leadoff spot. Keep him there and no more of Bell batting him 7th like he did over last weekend vs Chicago.

It was a poor effort defensively, though getting a win in Milwaukee is huge for this Reds team with the struggles in recent years against the Brewers. A game under .500. Nearly blew it in the most Cincinnati Reds way possible. Glad Bauers slide right into Tyler's glove there. Friedl with his 4th home run in 2 weeks and 3 hits in the leadoff spot. Keep him there and no more of Bell batting him 7th like he did over last weekend vs Chicago.
Dumb Ass decision to bunt with the bases loaded, 2 out and in the bottom of the 9th. May as well tried to steal home if you are going to pull that stunt.

Dumb Ass decision to bunt with the bases loaded, 2 out and in the bottom of the 9th. May as well tried to steal home if you are going to pull that stunt.
Have said it many times: I'd rather be lucky than good. Reds lucky tonight, maybe it'll carry over in the rest of the series.

Reactions: warrior-cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT