ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Nobody is throwing the towel in on him, but whether you like it or not he's the face of the franchise and he's not performing up to expectations. I think he is being asked to do wayyy to much by management and is likely feeling the pressure. I blame his failures on the organization.

One thing that bothers the hell out of me is him hitting in the 2 hole. Its idiotic.

In the 2 hole, Elly is hitting .209 with 2 HR, 7 RBI, a .299OBP in 139AB's.
In the 6 hole, Elly is hitting .280 with 7 HR, 17 RBI, a .386OBP in 75AB's.

Pretty clear he performs infinitely better hitting down in the order.
No need to get that petty dig in 'whether you like it or not.' It wasn't even directed towards you. No one here said he isn't struggling but people are ready to send him packing to Louisville for some other minor league journeyman (which has been said in the past here) to take his place just don't get it. Mashing AAA pitching won't help him become a more patient hitter. EDLC like all of these guys need a real hitting coach when so many of these hitters are slumping. The coaches down in the minors aren't even doing much in terms of developing hitters throughout the pipeline which is another story.

I've been critical of EDLC in the past here and I actually agree with your post that most here just aren't obnoxious enough to go out of there way nonstop to blame him for the team's failures. People need to be objective and look at the whole damn picture. No one on this team at the plate is carrying their weight except maybe Fraley right now. At the start of the season, I made a post here saying I don't want EDLC nowhere near the top of the order with his strikeout rate. My stance on that hasn't changed. As much of a fan I am of Benson, if EDLC is gets criticism then so should Will and more heat on India & Steer for not getting the job done. They should be the Reds best hitters.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Usleepy-2vs7
EDLC is a cash cow for the Reds. I don’t see them trading him. But I do think the Reds must have the worst hitting coach in all of MLB.
Joel McKeithan was a terrible hire to begin with. You fire Alan Zinter and replace him with an assistant under him because he was doing such a good job already? Had disaster written all over it. Eric Davis would be my first choice and I have recommended here in the past a player like Ryan Ludwick. Ludwick re-invented himself mid-way through his career and became an All-Star/silver slugger power hitter. Give me someone that knows how to make the adjustments to save his career and work with an entire team. These prolonged slumps just go to show how much Votto's work with his teammates, especially Will Benson did more than these no count hitting coaches do for them.

Last edited:
Mashing AAA pitching won't help him become a more patient hitter.
You don't send him down to mash AAA pitching. You reinvent the wheel...shorten the swing, make as much contact as possible, ground balls, etc, etc, etc. Get him "hitting the ball". And make him a lefty only. Anything at this point is better than the alternative. He wouldn't be the first mlb hitter to revamp their swing and approach.

You don't send him down to mash AAA pitching. You reinvent the wheel...shorten the swing, make as much contact as possible, ground balls, etc, etc, etc. Get him "hitting the ball". And make him a lefty only. Anything at this point is better than the alternative. He wouldn't be the first mlb hitter to revamp their swing and approach.
Well obviously that wouldn't be the intent for the Reds to send him to Louisville just to rake against International League pitchers. What do you think the end result is going to be once he gets down there and the level is just to easy for him? Won't see any reason to change things up when he is doing nothing but mashing pitching in AAA. It's between the ears with EDLC to make the necessary adjustments. The entire Major League team is suffering at the plate except Fraley. Perhaps make a change there first firing McKeithan when your whole damn team is slumping. What you say he needs to improve on is true, but it isn't like he has not had his chances to work through things already with the Dominican Winter League over the offseason where they tried to hype us up over a revamped swing, becoming a more patient hitter, so forth. With one .300 hitter over 100 ABs in Louisville, have my doubts there is anyone within this organization that can get through to him down there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrschwump
Good inning for Candelario with the 2-run HR and EDLC with an RBI double.
2 good swings with hard contact in both of his plate appearances tonight in Colorado.

110 MPH off the bat in his first PA.
100 MPH on the RBI double and a nice play in the field with his range. A true 5-tool player with the best speed in the game is why he is going to be a star for years to come. Live with the growing pains, he still has been the most productive overall position player on the team this year.

It is good to see. Hopefully everyone on this team breaks out of a slump during the trip to Coors Field.
All I want to see is the Reds handle business against an awful Rockies team and carry the momentum into the series vs the Cubs. The series alone I won't put much stock into though sweeping LAD, taking the Cubs series I do buy into that if it carries into the home stand vs Chicago & Cleveland. By all means, can't lose the series to Colorado. Big start for Montas to get back on track.

It is way too early to throw in the towel on Elly De La Cruz. As I recall, Edwin Encarnacion got optioned every single year down to Louisville and looked like shit for the Reds. Had his glimpses of success much like EDLC has had. Once he got out of here and went to Toronto, became one of the game's most feared power hitters. Came up in '05 and things did not click for him until the 2010 season. Still hasn't even been one full season in MLB yet for Elly. Dumping him now, the rest of the league will mock what is already a laughing stock of a franchise that hasn't won a postseason round since the mid-90s. Another team will figure him out.

Agree though that this franchise has not developed the full potential out many players dubbed as 'can't miss' prospects. Some got out in time to salvage a decent career. Others became jokes like Senzel or never made it out of MLB. It is ignorant to single out any one player for the struggles of this offense. India is a shell of his 2021 campaign. Steer should be the best hitter on this and is nowhere near his potential. Neither are Stephenson or Benson who hit .275 last year. Only player that is doing his job is Fraley hitting .295 but his power is zapped. June 3rd and 1 HR so far. They have figured out a way to win 6 of 9 sweeping LA and winning on the road at Wrigley compared to what most of May is. Marte is back later this month. CES gets re-evaluated tomorrow and will get a clear timetable for his return.
If EDLC is or was going to become expendable or too costly in a couple of years, Edwin Arroyo was chomping at the bit to slide into that role and if he recovers fully with no lingering effects from his torn labrum, I have to think he has better and more consistent long term prospects. This injury really set him back a year though. It may be 2026 before he realistically makes it to the bigs now, and torn labrums aren't easy to come back from.

Was McClains injury not as severe as Arroyo's? because he seems to have a shorter time table for a return. Arroyo was immediately done for the year.

If EDLC is or was going to become expendable or too costly in a couple of years, Edwin Arroyo was chomping at the bit to slide into that role and if he recovers fully with no lingering effects from his torn labrum, I have to think he has better and more consistent long term prospects. This injury really set him back a year though. It may be 2026 before he realistically makes it to the bigs now, and torn labrums aren't easy to come back from.

Was McClains injury not as severe as Arroyo's? because he seems to have a shorter time table for a return. Arroyo was immediately done for the year.
Some of the Arroyo decision to rule him out might have had a lot to do with it occurring late in Spring Training and the Minor League season would be over by the time he reached the field this season. Wouldn't be anywhere ready coming back off an injury for a September callup without AAA experience yet. Would be great to see Arroyo get some Winter Ball in and the AZFL to come back in 2025 with a shot to make it to Cincinnati if all goes right. As far as McLain, sure hope he can come back by August and stay healthy and there be meaningful baseball to play for the Reds still.

Blake Dunn called up.
Good player. Completely different than the past outfielder with the last name of Dunn in GABP. 1 of 5 players to hit 20 home runs & 50 SBs in the last 30 years as the Reds Minor Leaguer of the Year. He wasn't doing too hot for the Bats this year though Hurtubise wasn't either and has been decent at time here for Cincinnati.

I'm fine letting the young guys get up here and develop right now. We need to see what they can do while the Reds will have to address the outfield situation unless one of these guys takes the job and run with it. It would be nice to see out of Friedl, Fraley, Benson, Fairchild, Hurtubise & Dunn at least 2 more of these players emerge. Fraley & Friedl are safe, everyone else have a lot to prove to be apart of the outfield in the future.

Once the infield gets fully healthy, Steer can stay in LF. If need be to make room eventually for all of the infielders down the road, consider moving EDLC or next year McLain with his his CF experience or better yet get an impact hitter that will bring some power to the lineup to elevate this lineup to the next level.

Last edited:
Brew Crew also dropped 2 games in a row to the Phillies. Philadelphia the best team in the NL that this Reds team won the season series over in April.

Bullpen has Diaz, looking better. If they were going to demote him, it would have already been done. No sense in doing it at the moment.
Sims until the Cubs game on the 1st had only allowed 1 run in the month of May.
Suter has had a reliable career and spent too much money in the offseason to simply cut him, plus he is a lefty.
Farmer has been shaky lately. 1 run allowed at the end of May vs St. Louis and in this Rockies series. With his history of getting burned out after a strong 1st half as one of Bell's work horses, Krall better get creative and find a way to pull a shoulder fatigue injury for an IL stint to make him last for the stretch run.
Cruz, absolutely need him.
Moll, better not pull that stunt again sending him back to Louisville regardless if an option has already been used. Need him.
Nick Martinez is going nowhere with his durability to pitch multiple innings out of the bullpen, a spot start and come in when a starter flames out early. 9.1 scoreless innings, 2 hits and no walks in 2 games vs the Dodgers in May.
Justin Wilson just got off the IL. Doubt he's going anywhere and is a LH option out of the bullpen.
Also, Brandon Williamson looking sharp through 4 rehab starts. Between a game with Dayton and 3 with Louisville, 1 run, 7 hits and 3 walks in 4 starts, 13.2 innings as they continue to build him up.

Bullpen has Diaz, looking better. If they were going to demote him, it would have already been done. No sense in doing it at the moment.
Sims until the Cubs game on the 1st had only allowed 1 run in the month of May.
Suter has had a reliable career and spent too much money in the offseason to simply cut him, plus he is a lefty.
Farmer has been shaky lately. 1 run allowed at the end of May vs St. Louis and in this Rockies series. With his history of getting burned out after a strong 1st half as one of Bell's work horses, Krall better get creative and find a way to pull a shoulder fatigue injury for an IL stint to make him last for the stretch run.
Cruz, absolutely need him.
Moll, better not pull that stunt again sending him back to Louisville regardless if an option has already been used. Need him.
Nick Martinez is going nowhere with his durability to pitch multiple innings out of the bullpen, a spot start and come in when a starter flames out early. 9.1 scoreless innings, 2 hits and no walks in 2 games vs the Dodgers in May.
Justin Wilson just got off the IL. Doubt he's going anywhere and is a LH option out of the bullpen.
Also, Brandon Williamson looking sharp through 4 rehab starts. Between a game with Dayton and 3 with Louisville, 1 run, 7 hits and 3 walks in 4 starts, 13.2 innings as they continue to build him up.
I remember being pissed off here when the Reds elected to just non-tender Jeff Hoffman a couple years ago while they would still have team control of him today. Now closing for the Phillies and been a reliable pitcher as well as Weaver in a relief role for the Yankees.

Elly...a deeper dive into his misery.

For all of May and first 2 games of June (29 games)....

~46 K's in 111 AB's

~14 games where he has K'd at least twice, inc. 4 times in three games, and 3 times in 3 games.

~Avg. went from .280 on May 1st to .233 now.

~1 HR and 5 RBI's during the 29 games

~0 for his last 14 w/ 9 K's.

This guy has no business playing every day. None. And for his own well being, send him down and get him some help (if the Reds have anyone capable) He is being thrown out there now and it is painful to watch. He is long over due for a good game and Sadak will scream and the fans will rejoice, but is incapable of long term success, and this has been proven.

If the Reds want to make him a long term face of the team, then get him some help now, because he is way out of his league. And have him lose the chains, and button his jersey, and act like a professional. The novelty act is tired.
The dodgers will get him in shape, sadly.

• Haha
Reactions: M4CAT
day-sweep.gif

Just hope these bats will carry over into GABP. The Reds have such a hitter friendly park for power hitters. Coors Field is also a hitters paradise with that high altitude. The size of that park also is a good fit for this Reds team with the gap power/speed this team has when they are clicking on all cylinders.

Reds teams of the past with Griffey, Dunn, Bruce were built for GABP. At their full potential, this lineup should all have 20/20 guys throughout the order, except maybe CES & Stephenson who aren't burners on the base paths. Coors Field is perfect for guys like McLain, Friedl, Steer, Fraley, Benson, EDLC & India all with speed and some pop. Friedl today with the home run.

Reds have regained some momentum with 9 of the last 12.

Trailing by 3 runs after 7 innings, and then being down to their last out in the ninth, to then blast ahead by 5 runs is legendary material.

Hope it continues!!

Ahem, cough cough, I atated earlier in this thread I wasn't giving up on the Reds until they get all their players back. Now only 7 back, and hopefully CES comes back sooner rather than later, and Marte should be ready end of June (I think). This is not a tough division, and as bad as some of the guys are hitting and a ton of injuries, Reds only 4 under .500 and don't have to play the Dodgers any more games.

Now, an OT question. I cut the cord and went to YouTube TV this week, which does not carry Bally Sports. What are Lexington options for watching Reds, and do any of them offer tape/DVR capability?

I know this run is great and all but lets keep in perspective this is the worst team in the National League Cincinnati just beat. Reds swept the White Sox and beat the Phillies in April, had a terrible month of May. The only thing they can truly hang their hat on lately is that Dodgers series for now and beating an under performing Cubs team who should be doing better than they have so far. A lot to prove still and in the basement of the NL Central. Lets see if they can carry it over with the Brewers to come who have been our achilles' heel, a set with Cleveland, a 4 game set on the road with St. Louis who just beat us and interleague play with the Red Sox.

Last edited:
Ahem, cough cough, I atated earlier in this thread I wasn't giving up on the Reds until they get all their players back. Now only 7 back, and hopefully CES comes back sooner rather than later, and Marte should be ready end of June (I think). This is not a tough division, and as bad as some of the guys are hitting and a ton of injuries, Reds only 4 under .500 and don't have to play the Dodgers any more games.

Now, an OT question. I cut the cord and went to YouTube TV this week, which does not carry Bally Sports. What are Lexington options for watching Reds, and do any of them offer tape/DVR capability?
Fubo TV is a subscription based service that picked up Bally Sports. Good channels for sports. I would stay away from Directv stream. Think they require you to rent their streaming device which would be not much better in terms of price than having the actual satellite boxes.

Reactions: Tskware
Fubo TV is a subscription based service that picked up Bally Sports. Good channels for sports. I would stay away from Directv stream. Think they require you to rent their streaming device which would be not much better in terms of price than having the actual satellite boxes.

At&T is in the process of laying fiber optics in my little rural neighborhood. I'm hoping they will have a decent internet deal that will allow me to ditch Spectrum. Is U-verse still a thing? I think my sister has that. If not, would they still require the streaming device if you had an AT&T router for your internet?

At&T is in the process of laying fiber optics in my little rural neighborhood. I'm hoping they will have a decent internet deal that will allow me to ditch Spectrum. Is U-verse still a thing? I think my sister has that. If not, would they still require the streaming device if you had an AT&T router for your internet?
I think they phased out U Verse when they acquired Directv or was in the process of doing for the Directv Stream now. I'm not 100% sure on the device if you have AT&t internet. I may be mistaken on that but a couple years ago, there was some catch around it I didn't like. Definitely wanted to warn people before doing business with them. I have Xfinity and they try to pawn off their device on you but was able to return it. It was free as long as you have their service but limited apps on it.

Last edited:
This is straight from one of the Directv forums when I googled the question about the box.
No, you do not need the box for service it is not required. But if they signed you up for Directv Stream Via Internet whether you have the box or not they will still charge you the $15 a month fee plus you would be under a 2-year contract for service with Directv Stream.

It is these catches you have to be wary of and know completely before going into with them. That is why I steered clear of this service since I don't need the box nor is it necessary to pay $15 extra with a contract. I never buy into what they tell you are charged for the first year because just like everything, it all goes up for every provider. I remember when YouTube TV was roughly half of what it is today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Usleepy-2vs7
Reds are hot!! Winners in 10 out of the last 13. Way to start off the home stand with a big win. Keep this up, weather the storm while we wait for Marte & CES to come back, whatever McLain can give them in the 2nd half and should be in for a fun ride! The hitting did continue from the Rockies series with 8 runs, 9 hits tonight. When you prove to sweep the Dodgers & Phillies, then you can beat anyone on the schedule. Wasn't Greene's sharpest start but the length he gives them now and a chance to win each game is the most important part. That is what you need from your ace.

Reds are hot!! Winners in 10 out of the last 13. Way to start off the home stand with a big win. Keep this up, weather the storm while we wait for Marte & CES to come back, whatever McLain can give them in the 2nd half and should be in for a fun ride! The hitting did continue from the Rockies series with 8 runs, 9 hits tonight. When you prove to sweep the Dodgers & Phillies, then you can beat anyone on the schedule. Wasn't Greene's sharpest start but the length he gives them now and a chance to win each game is the most important part. That is what you need from your ace.
India's turnaround recently and Stephenson giving solid production at the plate over the last month are encouraging signs. Wasn't Steer's night but he has been playing better. No coincidence this team has looked better since Friedl has been back and is a spark plug for this lineup. Hurtubise and Dunn could be this for the Reds in time. Already seen some glimpses of it with Jacob, especially with the sac bunt moving both runners over. Benson's 2-run double tonight and he has been coming around lately. We may not have All-Star outfielders, but they are starting to get production from guys who fill their role. Add one big time bat in the outfield and let these other guys settle into their roles. Candelario isn't killing them either anymore, nearly a .280 hitter over the past month.

Don't rejoice too long. It won't last and Sadak will start screaming.

Pretty darn impressive stretch. Scoring from the 6th through the 9th is huge, and that’s when the Reds are hitting best, at least of late.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT