ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

15-game hitting streak and playing through pain all-season! Steer with a home run and scoring GW run!

Hopefully his Reds career is winding down, dump him in the off season.
His baseball IQ is awful. I'm sure there is a contingency that like to make excuses for him with injuries and vertigo slowing him down. Personally I think that's a load of horse shit. A consensus 1st round pick by 'experts' all-around and he has been a complete miss. Never shown any glimpses at the MLB level of consistency. By and large, he's been healthy all season. Fraley & Friedl in much less playing time have out performed him. It is a disappointment if the Reds do not call up ELDC next year, sign a veteran outfielder or call up Siani with 45 steals.

Reactions: mrschwump
His baseball IQ is awful. I'm sure there is a contingency that like to make excuses for him with injuries and vertigo slowing him down. Personally I think that's a load of horse shit. A consensus 1st round pick by 'experts' all-around and he has been a complete miss. Never shown any glimpses at the MLB level of consistency. By and large, he's been healthy all season. Fraley & Friedl in much less playing time have out performed him. It is a disappointment if the Reds do not call up ELDC next year, sign a veteran outfielder or call up Siani with 45 steals.
Is it just me or does Senzel look fat? Think he could stand to drop 10-15 lbs. Maybe I expect too much but I think the second overall pick should play All Star type baseball, understanding that injuries happen. I look for a #2 pick to have 20+ HRs, 80+ RBIs, hit at least .280. Senzel instead has become a 27 year old .230s singles hitter, no doubles/HR power. Besides being the worst base runner I've ever seen in a ML uniform, he has no defensive position on the field where he isn't a liability. Reds FO needs to swallow the bullet on this one, move him for whatever they can get and put their emphasis in the younger minor league guys.

Reactions: kybloo92
Does anybody else find it bizarre MLB would schedule a day off on an end of Summer national holiday?

The Yankees Top 2 prospects, Anthony Volpe with similar numbers to McLain for most of the season.

#2 prospect Oswald Peraza, makes his MLB debut. Elly De La Cruz & Matt McLain still in AA.

There's only like 3 weeks of AAA left, move your ass FO!!
Just what they needed a built in excuse if they don't break camp with the Reds after ST which they probably won't. Would love for them to surprise me but I am not naive. Will be a damn shamed for Ian Happ with a balanced schedule next year and fewer games vs Cincinnati.

Last edited:
Aquino has one hell of an arm, arguably one of the better ones in RF in MLB but cannot field worth a damn. Such a frustrating player as this is a guy that has all of the tools to be a star but outside of August 2019 has been quite mediocre. Goes from a grand slam over the weekend yet a career .210 hitter batting .185 or so pending the outcome of this game.

Aquino has one hell of an arm, arguably one of the better ones in RF in MLB but cannot field worth a damn. Such a frustrating player as this is a guy that has all of the tools to be a star but outside of August 2019 has been quite mediocre. Goes from a grand slam over the weekend yet a career .210 hitter batting .185 or so pending the outcome of this game.
Reds OF defense leaves a lot to be desired. OF coach(Pickler?) has had a poor year. Aquino has a solid arm but his OF mechanics are poor. I think back to an interview with Eric Davis earlier this year where he unloaded on Aquino. Unless his attitude changes he'll never be more than what we're now seeing.

Just what they needed a built in excuse if they don't break camp with the Reds after ST which they probably won't. Would love for them to surprise me but I am not naive. Will be a damn shamed for Ian Happ with a balanced schedule next year and fewer games vs Cincinnati.
11 walks, one HBP from supposed ML pitching staff? Ugh!!!

Marte homers again in High A.

Reds debuting RHPs Hubbart and Menefee in Low A. College pitchers being handled with kid gloves. Also getting PT in Low A is C Hunter. Has 2 HRs in limited ABs. All three are 21y/o, maybe they'll make it to AA by the time they're 28.

Reds OF defense leaves a lot to be desired. OF coach(Pickler?) has had a poor year. Aquino has a solid arm but his OF mechanics are poor. I think back to an interview with Eric Davis earlier this year where he unloaded on Aquino. Unless his attitude changes he'll never be more than what we're now seeing.
Definitely seems to be between the ears for Aquino. Since he lacks the discipline himself, needs a coach like Davis throughout an entire season who knows what he is talking about and someone to hold him accountable. Seems like this is the end of the road for him in Cincinnati too. Partly ashamed for the raw talent he has shown glimpses of but it is his own doing that he is in this spot given chance after chance while more deserving players like ELDC should've been fast tracked by now.

Marte will be 21 in less than a month, for as good as he is why in the hell did he not get a cup of coffee at AA this year? It's pretty pointless to do anything now as there isn't many games left to prove for or against at this point.

Roa still stuck at AA and will be 24 to start next year. Where in the hell is the gumption they had with Mike Leake? Should've had Roa in Chattanooga well before August 31st. This franchise just wants to lose and sit on their ass. No two ways about it.

Last edited:
Definitely seems to be between the ears for Aquino. Since he lacks the discipline himself, needs a coach like Davis throughout an entire season who knows what he is talking about and someone to hold him accountable. Seems like this is the end of the road for him in Cincinnati too. Partly ashamed for the raw talent he has shown glimpses of but it is his own doing that he is in this spot given chance after chance while more deserving players like ELDC should've been fast tracked my bow.

Marte will be 21 in less than a month, for as good as he is why in the hell did he not get a cup of coffee at AA this year? It's pretty pointless to do anything now as there isn't many games left to prove for or against at this point.

Roa still stuck at AA and will be 24 to start next year. Where in the hell is the gumption they had with Mike Leake? Should've had Roa in Chattanooga well before August 31st. This franchise just wants to lose and sit on their ass. No two ways about it.
Don't know what the deal is with Roa or McGarry for that matter although he was moved to AAA.

Don't know what the deal is with Roa or McGarry for that matter although he was moved to AAA.
Hope they have an awesome Spring and force the Reds to move them higher in the organization than AA for Roa and MLB at some point soon for Alex. McGarry like Steer this season will be eligible for the Rule 5 Draft next year and Cincinnati certainly could use his presence in the OF, plus if Votto isn't ready to go a LH 1B. Cincinnati could certainly use a backup catcher and quality OF depth next year if they look to add any payroll via free agency. The bullpen should be much better with Diaz, Antone, Sims, Santillan, Hoffman and I imagine Sanmartin sticks around as a long reliever. It doesn't have to be this bad next season if ELDC converts to CF and joins the Reds for his debut.

Seems like he can only hit vs the Cubs. Like Happ vs the Reds though Happ is a much better all-around player and it's not even close. Doubtful he puts together another run as he did 3 years ago.
Opposite of someone like Friedl who I wrote off as not having a place on this team. Making a case for a spot on the roster as an outfielder on the bench once the OF of the future takes over. He will likely get more starts with the lack of depth currently.

Not trying to get carried away over Friedl as I doubt he carries this production into a full season but .290 last September, .275 this year and gives you effort instead of half assing it like Senzel & Moustakas. Definitely making Nick more than expendable if he can continue this run with Fraley. Sad as neither one of those 2 are who you want to build around but speaks volumes about how awful Senzel has been.

Hope they have an awesome Spring and force the Reds to move them higher in the organization than AA for Roa and MLB at some point soon for Alex. McGarry like Steer this season will be eligible for the Rule 5 Draft next year and Cincinnati certainly could use his presence in the OF, plus if Votto isn't ready to go a LH 1B. Cincinnati could certainly use a backup catcher and quality OF depth next year if they look to add any payroll via free agency. The bullpen should be much better with Diaz, Antone, Sims, Santillan, Hoffman and I imagine Sanmartin sticks around as a long reliever. It doesn't have to be this bad next season if ELDC converts to CF and joins the Reds for his debut.
Roa had a big game in AA Wed night, 6IP, 1 hit, 0 BB, 8K.

I'm also anxious to see Christian Encarnacion-Strand who the Reds got in the Mahle trade. Guy's 22y/o, corner infielder, R/R and has 30 HRs at combined stops this summer. Currently in AA and hitting over .300. Reds, playing in a band-box ballpark, are desperate for power hitters, hoping he, Steer, DLC, McGarry can ease the need in time. Hoping CE-S gets a ST invite.

One thing about the recent boost in the Reds farm system....I'm going to be paying much closer attention to winter ball this time around! ;)

I'm also anxious to see Christian Encarnacion-Strand who the Reds got in the Mahle trade. Guy's 22y/o, corner infielder, R/R and has 30 HRs at combined stops this summer. Currently in AA and hitting over .300. Reds, playing in a band-box ballpark, are desperate for power hitters, hoping he, Steer, DLC, McGarry can ease the need in time. Hoping CE-S gets a ST invite.

One thing about the recent boost in the Reds farm system....I'm going to be paying much closer attention to winter ball this time around! ;)
Really nice to see Roa continue this great run he has been on of late. He's doing all the right things to make a case for a rotation spot. Glad to see the Reds DFA Moran now. Hopefully this opens the door for CES sometime soon, preferably next season. Mahle is a good pitcher but I have a feeling 2 everyday players with Steer/CES will give the Reds much more production as both seem to be great on paper especially with the pitching depth within the organization. Castillo much harder to replace than Mahle. Absolutely, will be keeping a close eye on the future plans the Reds have for these prospects, in particular those will change positions.

I praise Friedl and he really had a disastrous game with that outfield in Wrigley today. Cessa otherwise was solid eating some quality innings today. Good game by India with 3 hits including the game-winner.

Went to a Louisville Bats game last Sunday. Outside of Almora and Reynolds, (Almora on rehab) and a couple of other guys, I hardly recognized any of the names on that roster. I half believe Chattanooga would put a whipping on the Bats. Offseason is definitely going to be interesting. I think they need to bring in at least a couple of FA's. just to get a little more veteran presence on the roster. Definitely hope EDLC makes the jump next year, similar to India. play his ass off in the spring and basically force their hand to keep him on the opening day roster. Even if he spends next year bouncing back and forth between Louisville and Cincy, with the goal of being on the roster full time in 2024, that's fine too, but I don't think he has anything left to prove at AA as he's destroyed AA pitching since he's been there.

Went to a Louisville Bats game last Sunday. Outside of Almora and Reynolds, (Almora on rehab) and a couple of other guys, I hardly recognized any of the names on that roster. I half believe Chattanooga would put a whipping on the Bats. Offseason is definitely going to be interesting. I think they need to bring in at least a couple of FA's. just to get a little more veteran presence on the roster. Definitely hope EDLC makes the jump next year, similar to India. play his ass off in the spring and basically force their hand to keep him on the opening day roster. Even if he spends next year bouncing back and forth between Louisville and Cincy, with the goal of being on the roster full time in 2024, that's fine too, but I don't think he has anything left to prove at AA as he's destroyed AA pitching since he's been there.
Alex McGarry is in Louisville now, he's quietly had a nice year. Lefty hitter with 27 HRs, nearing 80 RBIs, hitting .270 at two minor league stops. And he's only 24. Would like to see he and CE-S share 1B with Reds in '23.

Mentioned Roa earlier. I'm hoping he can stake a claim for an end of the rotation guy moving forward, maybe as the 4th or 5th starter. Williamson probably figures in there too. Cessa's given a couple of pretty good starts but I think he goes back to the BP in '23. I see he and San Martin as set up men for Diaz.

I'm with you re DLC. Put him in AAA the last 2-3 weeks of the season, he has nothing else to prove in AA.

Alex McGarry is in Louisville now, he's quietly had a nice year. Lefty hitter with 27 HRs, nearing 80 RBIs, hitting .270 at two minor league stops. And he's only 24. Would like to see he and CE-S share 1B with Reds in '23.

Mentioned Roa earlier. I'm hoping he can stake a claim for an end of the rotation guy moving forward, maybe as the 4th or 5th starter. Williamson probably figures in there too. Cessa's given a couple of pretty good starts but I think he goes back to the BP in '23. I see he and San Martin as set up men for Diaz.

I'm with you re DLC. Put him in AAA the last 2-3 weeks of the season, he has nothing else to prove in AA.
I don't even pretend to know who will be available on the FA market in the off season that the Reds could realistically get on a 1-2 year deal. I think they need an OF, Maybe a C, and at least one Starting Pitcher. Could Cueto make a return to close out his career? beyond that, who's out there and affordable?

I don't even pretend to know who will be available on the FA market in the off season that the Reds could realistically get on a 1-2 year deal. I think they need an OF, Maybe a C, and at least one Starting Pitcher. Could Cueto make a return to close out his career? beyond that, who's out there and affordable?
Yeah, me either. I guess we'll start hearing names shortly after the season ends. I don't pretend to know about FAs, starting the ML "clock" on the young guys, arbitration, etc. To me the Reds need power hitters. Makes no sense to play in a band box park and have nothing but Punch and Judy hitters. Reds gave up something like 60+ HRs, 300+ RBIs by dumping Castelanos, Winker, Saurez then 20+ HRs when they traded away Drury. Reds won't have anybody close to 20 HRs by season's end. Several of the minor leaguers have impressive power numbers, will that transfer to the ML level? Have heard talk on telecasts about the need for a veteran C to help handle the young Ps. I think Romines has helped in that area but it's highly unlikely he's retained. Who knows about Garcia? I suspect, actually I hope, there's discussions about this ongoing every day.

Yeah, me either. I guess we'll start hearing names shortly after the season ends. I don't pretend to know about FAs, starting the ML "clock" on the young guys, arbitration, etc. To me the Reds need power hitters. Makes no sense to play in a band box park and have nothing but Punch and Judy hitters. Reds gave up something like 60+ HRs, 300+ RBIs by dumping Castelanos, Winker, Saurez then 20+ HRs when they traded away Drury. Reds won't have anybody close to 20 HRs by season's end. Several of the minor leaguers have impressive power numbers, will that transfer to the ML level? Have heard talk on telecasts about the need for a veteran C to help handle the young Ps. I think Romines has helped in that area but it's highly unlikely he's retained. Who knows about Garcia? I suspect, actually I hope, there's discussions about this ongoing every day.
Wonder if the Reds could by low on Michael Conforto for a year? He's been up and down, injured but mostly a productive player in his career. He could be another low risk/high reward candidate like Pham minus the tough guy act and flip at the deadline for a decent prospect like Drury.

Going back to your post a couple weeks ago about how the Reds should add a star outfielder, it would be great to bring back the hometown kid Benintendi. Doubtful it ever happens, especially since New York has their hands on him. I know that's a pipe dream, might have been more realistic had he been a free agent in 2024 when the Reds could buyout Votto/Moustakas contracts. Money probably better spent getting a real catcher and moving Stephenson to DH to accommodate CES/McGarry at 1B.

Some of the more realistic options in the OF that Cincinnati could entertain on the open market would be Brandon Nimmo, Mitch Haniger, Adam Duvall, Corey Dickerson among guys making less than $10 million and actually productive. Can't see a Duvall reunion, Seattle likely won't let one of their better hitters go and imagine the same with the Mets and Brandon Nimmo when he is their 2nd best OF behind Marte.

Slim pickings at catcher, Barnhart & Casali are available though I don't see a return on either one of them after the Reds letting them go. For the price, Romine might be better off retaining and hope Stephenson can be stay healthy until one of the catching prospects can make their MLB debut.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/outfield/

Last edited:
Almora needs to hit the road. His run fizzed out awhile ago, a .223 hitter and there's a reason why the Cubs & Mets let him walk. Reynolds isn't much better but gives you more lineup flexibility playing every position except catcher this season, even pitched twice this year to save the bullpen in the blowouts. The Reds need quality veteran presence to fill out a roster over the dead weight veterans. Arguably you have quite a bit between Votto & Moustakas but can't count on Mike worth shit.

Last edited:
Another great start by Lodolo lowering the ERA to 3.78 pitching 8 innings, 11 K's, no BBs and 5 hits. The 2-run home run his only mistake. If Nick keeps this pace up, he is looking like the starter I would give a long term extension to when the time comes. Give him the money Cincinnati did when they wrongly signed Homer to huge contract that coincided with the Reds downfall from 2014-18 leaving Cincinnati unable to sign anyone worthwhile to help them team.

With Greene, he will either figure it out and become a coveted ace by many teams for years to come and give the Reds someone to flip for prospects when they inevitably rebuild again. Should this happen and he doesn't stay injured, Hunter will be priced out of the Reds range if he stays healthy and reaches his star potential. Lodolo likely will be out of the Reds budget if they don't give him the Homer Bailey contract.

Last edited:
Cueto has likely priced himself out of the Reds range and at this stage of his career, why come back to a team in rebuild mode when he can latch on to a contender who can pay him what he is worth? I know some of you all here want a Cueto reunion but at the price of developing the deep farm system of starting pitching and have 24 year olds just now getting to AA, it's time to move along and promote from within much deserving prospects to see what they can prove at the MLB level.

Better uses of any available funds the Reds may have with a depleted outfield that will heavily rely on converted infielders as it stands and a veteran catcher that can stabilize a young starting rotation. If the Reds desperately need experience, Cessa will be back next season and was used as a starter in New York to begin his career.

Last edited:
Wonder if the Reds could by low on Michael Conforto for a year? He's been up and down, injured but mostly a productive player in his career. He could be another low risk/high reward candidate like Pham minus the tough guy act and flip at the deadline for a decent prospect like Drury.

Going back to your post a couple weeks ago about how the Reds should add a star outfielder, it would be great to bring back the hometown kid Benintendi. Doubtful it ever happens, especially since New York has their hands on him. I know that's a pipe dream, might have been more realistic had he been a free agent in 2024 when the Reds could buyout Votto/Moustakas contracts. Money probably better spent getting a real catcher and moving Stephenson to DH to accommodate CES/McGarry at 1B.

Some of the more realistic options in the OF that Cincinnati could entertain on the open market would be Brandon Nimmo, Mitch Haniger, Adam Duvall, Corey Dickerson among guys making less than $10 million and actually productive. Can't see a Duvall reunion, Seattle likely won't let one of their better hitters go and imagine the same with the Mets and Brandon Nimmo when he is their 2nd best OF behind Marte.

Slim pickings at catcher, Barnhart & Casali are available though I don't see a return on either one of them after the Reds letting them go. For the price, Romine might be better off retaining and hope Stephenson can be stay healthy until one of the catching prospects can make their MLB debut.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/outfield/

Thanks for the FA tracker, very helpful!

I don't see this Reds FO making a splash re FAs. Hate to say it but I look for '23 to be very much like '22. They'll bring in the typical 3A/4A talent and hope to win ML games.

Friday was a nice outing for Lodolo. Reds get 17 hits....and Senzel goes 0 for 5. Wow.

Another great start by Lodolo lowering the ERA to 3.78 pitching 8 innings, 11 K's, no BBs and 5 hits. The 2-run home run his only mistake. If Nick keeps this pace up, he is looking like the starter I would give a long term extension to when the time comes. Give him the money Cincinnati did when they wrongly signed Homer to huge contract that coincided with the Reds downfall from 2014-18 leaving Cincinnati unable to sign anyone worthwhile to help them team.

With Greene, he will either figure it out and become a coveted ace by many teams for years to come and give the Reds someone to flip for prospects when they inevitably rebuild again. Should this happen and he doesn't stay injured, Hunter will be priced out of the Reds range if he stays healthy and reaches his star potential. Lodolo likely will be out of the Reds budget if they don't give him the Homer Bailey contract.
Reds need to tie up Lodolo/Stevenson pronto but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the FA tracker, very helpful!

I don't see this Reds FO making a splash re FAs. Hate to say it but I look for '23 to be very much like '22. They'll bring in the typical 3A/4A talent and hope to win ML games.

Friday was a nice outing for Lodolo. Reds get 17 hits....and Senzel goes 0 for 5. Wow.
Agree with you on 2023 and likely 2024. It's going to be another rough season. I don't think expect them to ever sign a top tier impact free agent. Could they spend as they did in 2020 for Moose/Castellanos? The Reds don't need to go down that path if they are going to jet ASAP and the Reds end up losing half their roster unable to retain players with contract extensions just as we have seen this year.

The Reds farm system is too deep to lose like the Reds are going to these next couple of seasons that there is no reason to unload all of our prospects for rentals at an unattainable short window at competing. No reason why Cincinnati can't follow the Tampa Bay blueprint. I doubt the Reds can afford all 3 long term but the focus should be on building around impact players in India, Lodolo, Stephenson to build around with upcoming prospects like ELDC.

Think the Dunn experiment is about done(I know they'll finish the season with him but....). Too many walks, too many batters faced falling behind in the count, too many XBHs. Plus I don't see him having enough "stuff" to go 3-4 times thru the lineup. Below average FB, no control of off speed. Maybe he can hang on as a BP guy but even that's a stretch. Really hate it for the guy, seems like a super team mate, heaven knows he needs something good to happen in his baseball career. Just not feeling it.

Reactions: deep3
What the hell are they doing starting a 32-year old career minor league journey man relief pitcher? He'll be lucky to get through 1 fine and stretch out the thin bullpen. I would say at least this shit show of a season is almost over but we get to look forward to it all over again in 2023. Maybe longer. Even LeCure is baffled by this decision.

What the hell are they doing starting a 32-year old career minor league journey man relief pitcher? He'll be lucky to get through 1 fine and stretch out the thin bullpen. I would say at least this shit show of a season is almost over but we get to look forward to it all over again in 2023. Maybe longer. Even LeCure is baffled by this decision.
Remember when Phillies broadcasters said it'd be five years before the Reds are contenders? I think they were being optimistic.

Remember when Phillies broadcasters said it'd be five years before the Reds are contenders? I think they were being optimistic.
Last night Larkin and crew were pumping up the Reds farm system and the trades the Reds made at the deadline. That's great and all to have a loaded farm system but keeping top prospects in the system forever is one issue. It's another when this franchise every 3-4 years enters rebuild mode. This is not a model for consistency or sustained success whatsoever. I give the Reds all the credit that's due for restocking the pipeline but pushing this bullshit narrative of waiting for the next group to arrive has been stale for decades now when you keep trading off the core of each team to build around. No one under 32 was even born the last time the Reds won a World Series. My guess would be by the time Stewart, Collier and Arroyo arrive to Cincinnati, they will never play with guys like India or Stephenson before there's another fire sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: jameslee32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT