ADVERTISEMENT

Reds Get Trevor Bauer, Brawl With The Pirates

I’m with you, and so are the rest of the fans I think ownership knows it based on attendance. I think castellini knows he has to put something into the franchise or fans will stop going altogether. Now that you have a guy like Bauer and if he pitches well, you pay him plain and simple. They need to work out a 5 yr deal with a club option. You can’t let a guy like him walk. We got Castillo for peanuts the next few years thank you Florida for screwing that up. We also got a steal with Suarez by giving up Simon. Suarez is signed for a few more years and is cheap. Bauer will easily be our number 2 next yr. Next to votto they can afford one more big contract if they play their cards right in the off-season. The rest of the guys on the team are either cheap or signed. Bauer made it clear to Cleveland he wasn’t going to resign which is why he was dealt now. I’m sure there were factors in that decision besides the team. He will be treated much like puig was here. It would be awesome if the reds could somehow get puig to come back after the season because our hitting coach is his favorite coach in baseball and was with him in Los Angeles. I know it’s a pipe dream but it would be awesome.
The Suarez and Castillo trades really worked in our favor and were steals. This wouldn't be the first time if Bauer does well here that Cleveland has gifted us a player they were done with because of attitude. Brandon Phillips had been DFA'd because he had an attitude that the organization was tired of. We know how that worked out. Not an attitude issue with Choo, but they literally took Stubbs a former big time prospect who never panned out and gave us Shin Soo Choo for a season.

Cincinnati has guys with potential to make this franchise successful. Even Joe Maddon has commented on our organization's depth in the minors and young studs on the team. The Reds can scout talented prospects building up our minor league depth but one other issue I have with them is seeing some of our guys making debuts much later than other teams do. Chris Welsh has even hinted at it in the past that the approach with prospects is maybe a bit too conservative. Can't remember the last time a transcendent 19 or 20 year old made their debut here. Seems like 21 or 22 years old is the youngest they allow it here. Everyone is different in how long it takes to develop. It seemed like Votto, Frazier, Senzel and even Homer were in the minors awhile and could not wait for them to make it here.

The only way the Reds will make a run last is to keep the guys around long enough to develop and re-sign them so the rebuilding cycle takes a break. The home grown prospects now with the likes of Senzel, Suarez, Castillo, etc need to be kept long enough for our phenom Hunter Greene to make his debut. See where we go from there and if the franchise still hasn't won, then the timing for another fire sale may be justified. For now, I really just want to great a group like the 'Core Four' the Yankees played with for 15 + seasons.

People are saying Trammell has had a down season. To my earlier point, if this year is not just a bump in the road, keeping him could have exposed this so getting something now while his stock is high could turn out in our favor. That's just speculation on my part and he may turn out to be just fine for San Diego.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wall2Boogie
The Suarez and Castillo trades really worked in our favor and were steals. This wouldn't be the first time if Bauer does well here that Cleveland has gifted us a player they were done with because of attitude. Brandon Phillips had been DFA'd because he had an attitude that the organization was tired of. We know how that worked out. Not an attitude issue with Choo, but they literally took Stubbs a former big time prospect who never panned out and gave us Shin Soo Choo for a season.

Cincinnati has guys with potential to make this franchise successful. Even Joe Maddon has commented on our organization's depth in the minors and young studs on the team. The Reds can scout talented prospects building up our minor league depth but one other issue I have with them is seeing some of our guys making debuts much later than other teams do. Chris Welsh has even hinted at it in the past that the approach with prospects is maybe a bit too conservative. Can't remember the last time a transcendent 19 or 20 year old made their debut here. Seems like 21 or 22 years old is the youngest they allow it here. Everyone is different in how long it takes to develop. It seemed like Votto, Frazier, Senzel and even Homer were in the minors awhile and could not wait for them to make it here.

The only way the Reds will make a run last is to keep the guys around long enough to develop and re-sign them so the rebuilding cycle takes a break. The home grown prospects now with the likes of Senzel, Suarez, Castillo, etc need to be kept long enough for our phenom Hunter Greene to make his debut. See where we go from there and if the franchise still hasn't won, then the timing for another fire sale will be right. For now, I really just want to great a group like the 'Core Four' the Yankees played with for 15 + seasons.

People are saying Trammell has had a down season. To my earlier point, if this year is not just a bump in the road, keeping him could have exposed this so getting something now while his stock is high could turn out in our favor. That's just speculation on my part and he may turn out to be just fine for San Diego.
San Diego is loaded with too stud prospects, that’s how they could part with the Reyes. What sucks about Greene is he had to have tommy John surgery and won’t be pitching for another yr. The good thing is he can also play shortstop and hit the ball. I think our first round pick this yr may make it to the majors before Greene because of that injury. It’s amazing how far they have come with fixing it, it used to be a career ending surgery

San Diego is loaded with too stud prospects, that’s how they could part with the Reyes. What sucks about Greene is he had to have tommy John surgery and won’t be pitching for another yr. The good thing is he can also play shortstop and hit the ball. I think our first round pick this yr may make it to the majors before Greene because of that injury. It’s amazing how far they have come with fixing it, it used to be a career ending surgery
Good point. On that note, the minor leagues use a DH and if the Reds would play Hunter Greene there like Anaheim is with Ohtani with his Tommy John's recovery, his offensive game can progress further with less time needed to develop if he doesn't make it as a pitcher. Even if he does still make it, I'll take Greene & Lorenzen jacking homers out of GABP as pitchers for the Reds.

Definitely agree on San Diego. They are about to be dangerous when they get some more time to develop their prospects. Free agent additions to supplement the process like Machado and Hosmer in their prime will help that cause. Both been to the World Series. Hosmer winning his with another small market in KC. They have a great foundation of young starters, fantastic closer in Yates. Hunter Renfroe among league leaders in home runs. Tatis is amazing to watch. I love what Yates, Machado and Tatis have done for my fantasy team this year. Manuel Margot has some nice power but a low average guy with some potential to improve.

San Diego was my sleeper team to going into the year. May have been one year off so I'll say it again next year lol I said something similar in 2016 for football. I called Jacksonville my sleeper team before a losing season after some big offseason additions to their team. 2017 was one hell of a season for them lol

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Good point. On that note, the minor leagues use a DH and if the Reds would play Hunter Greene there like Anaheim is with Ohtani with his Tommy John's recovery, his offensive game can progress further with less time needed to develop if he doesn't make it as a pitcher. Even if he does still make it, I'll take Greene & Lorenzen jacking homers out of GABP as pitchers for the Reds.

Definitely agree on San Diego. They are about to be dangerous when they get some more time to develop their prospects. Free agent additions to supplement the process like Machado and Hosmer in their prime will help that cause. Both been to the World Series. Hosmer winning his with another small market in KC. They have a great foundation of young starters, fantastic closer in Yates. Hunter Renfroe among league leaders in home runs. Tatis is amazing to watch. I love what Yates, Machado and Tatis have done for my fantasy team this year. Manuel Margot has some nice power but a low average guy with some potential to improve.

San Diego was my sleeper team to going into the year. May have been one year off so I'll say it again next year lol I said something similar in 2016 for football. I called Jacksonville my sleeper team before a losing season after some big offseason additions to their team. 2017 was one hell of a season for them lol
Agree on tatis, plus they have gore who’s supposed to be a stud lhp. Vlad jr for Toronto is also a stud and a half.

The Reds need hitting, so they decide to trade Puig and Scooter. Makes a lot of sense doesn’t it?

I can at least see the Puig deal, because they get a potential number 2 starter in Bauer. However, I don’t understand trading Gennett for the always popular player to be named later. That one makes zero sense.

Btw I was just messing with you guys and got the thread confused with the paddock thread. I’m not a Reds fan but don’t hate them.

I hate the Braves, Cubs, and Red Sox.

Just thought some hard jabbing would be better than the typical “baseball sucks anyway” crap that is usually on the board. It was fun.

ADVERTISEMENT