ADVERTISEMENT

Reds Get Trevor Bauer, Brawl With The Pirates

I disagree, but we shall see. I mean it's not even a guarantee he'll be pitching here.
He'll be a Red. Rest assured. Just waiting for the game to end to send Puig. Bauer is one hell of a pitcher. Don't give a damn if he throws balls over the stands. Nothing Rob Dibble wouldn't do. Puig one hot head for another that gives us arguably a top 5 rotation. You can't discredit Bauer's success the last few years. 17 wins in '17, 2.21 ERA last season... Only 28.

9:08pm: In a massive and stunning three-team trade involving Cincinnati, Cleveland and San Diego, the Reds will acquire right-hander Trevor Bauer from the Indians, Jeff Passan of ESPN reports. The Reds will send outfielder Yasiel Puig to the Indians and outfield prospect Taylor Trammell to the Padres, per reports from Jon Heyman of MLB Network and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. In addition to Puig, the Indians will land outfielder Franmil Reyes and young left-hander Logan Allen from the Padres, Dennis Lin of The Athletic relays.

It's not good for an over worked bullpen, top 10 usage in the league and if they're trying to crawl back in the race. At least Puig's is the Indians problem. Wouldn't doubt Bell gets some time off for coming back on the field after an ejection already.

Last edited:
He doesn't make the Reds a contender next year. He'll probably be here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not sent somewhere else. Either way, he'll be gone by this time next year.
Maybe the Reds for once had the stones to get some pieces to help build a winner and it is a start? No one player is going to make a team a contender. Ex. For how great he is, what has Mike Trout accomplished in the postseason yet? Trout seems like the kind of guy attitude wise he would trade some of his personal hardware for a WS title. Puig is on an expiring deal so it does make sense. If you are right which knowing the Reds history giving up our assets usually happens, imagine the return Bauer gives us. More than Puig.

Reactions: crawfords corner
Pug was going to be gone this year regardless. I don’t like Trammell being involved. But I do like the reds 8 and the rotation next year assuming nothing else happens.

Even Joe Maddon was going off a couple weeks ago about Pittsburgh's antics of hitting batters. It's been heated for years now but this obviously extends past the Reds/Dietrich when it comes to them. Hurdle is an ass to say the least. Can't stand his looks. Even in his Colorado days.

Hated to give up a prized prospect such as Taylor Trammell. However as soon as I heard about Bauer being sent to Cincinnati, Trammell or Hunter Greene immediately came to mind as likely to have been included.

The reds will make sure to pay Bauer and sign him. You aren’t renting him for a yr and a half when you give up trammell the future, and of course puig. If they can get wood to stick around who wouldn’t get much in free agency, it could be really nice

I’m sorry but the reds are an absolute embarrassment to baseball. That’s why I call them the Louisville Reds, there’s no difference is n the way they act and operate. The Reds now have the most on field brawls of any team in baseball since 2,000. Constantly taking unwanted and unlikeable players and making excuses for them. They’re a classless organization that loses over and over.

Time for the Louisville Reds to be disbanded. They need to change cities and move, get a fresh start somewhere. The organization is a dumpster fire.

I know a lot of you like the reds (have no idea why) but it’s getting to the point where it’s ingrained in the culture. And the stadium is empty constantly, they need to sell and move.

If not, regulate them to independent because the central is sick of the thugs.

"The Reds now have the most on field brawls of any team in baseball since 2,000"

What a strange comment.

What , were they tied with somebody till last night?

Where do you obtain such a strange stat?

Not to mention the rest of your take is nonsense. I'm guessing your problems stem from the Phillips/Cueto brawl with STL. If so, fair enough. But who on their roster now is "unwanted and unlikeable"? Puig? If so, I don't know what issues he had in LA or whatever but hes been a fantastic teammate who has hustled his ass off in Cincy and I'm sorry to see him go. Sidenote--obviously hes not unwanted as Cleveland gave up value for him.

But the Reds were not and are not at fault with this Pirates nonsense. Thats all on Hurdle condoning headhunting and his other bullshat.

"The Reds now have the most on field brawls of any team in baseball since 2,000"

What a strange comment.

What , were they tied with somebody till last night?

Where do you obtain such a strange stat?

Not to mention the rest of your take is nonsense. I'm guessing your problems stem from the Phillips/Cueto brawl with STL. If so, fair enough. But who on their roster now is "unwanted and unlikeable"? Puig? If so, I don't know what issues he had in LA or whatever but hes been a fantastic teammate who has hustled his ass off in Cincy and I'm sorry to see him go. Sidenote--obviously hes not unwanted as Cleveland gave up value for him.

But the Reds were not and are not at fault with this Pirates nonsense. Thats all on Hurdle condoning headhunting and his other bullshat.

Yea it’s everyones fault that the Reds are constantly signing thug players and acting like Louisville. This is the problem with the Reds, and why the organization will never change and fight and lose and fight and lose and talk sht and lose. It’s a loser organization. Not surprised Dusty Baker was on the sidelines.

The Stat was said during baseball live on MLB network.

I’ll give you Hurdle is an antagonist, but the Reds fight with everyone. The cardinals, Brewers, Pitt, everyone. And to the fans it’s NEVER their fault.

I mean what, you think everyone is crazy for saying the Reds are the thugs of the central?We just make it up?

Just wait my man, they will be in another brawl within a few weeks. And I think Bell has now been thrown out of 2 or 3 games in the last month. Lol.

Attack me for it, don’t care.

Yea it’s everyones fault that the Reds are constantly signing thug players and acting like Louisville. This is the problem with the Reds, and why the organization will never change and fight and lose and fight and lose and talk sht and lose. It’s a loser organization. Not surprised Dusty Baker was on the sidelines.

The Stat was said during baseball live on MLB network.

I’ll give you Hurdle is an antagonist, but the Reds fight with everyone. The cardinals, Brewers, Pitt, everyone. And to the fans it’s NEVER their fault.

I mean what, you think everyone is crazy for saying the Reds are the thugs of the central?We just make it up?

Just wait my man, they will be in another brawl within a few weeks. And I think Bell has now been thrown out of 2 or 3 games in the last month. Lol.

Attack me for it, don’t care.

Im not attacking you, just asking for specifics

Who is "we" and "everyone" ?

I havent heard anyone say the Reds are the "thugs of the central" except you, right now. Can you point me to someone who has said that other than you. Genuinely curious.

Im not attacking you, just asking for specifics

Who is "we" and "everyone" ?

I havent heard anyone say the Reds are the "thugs of the central" except you, right now. Can you point me to someone who has said that other than you. Genuinely curious.

I’ve heard for years. Can I point to random people that you don’t know that call them thugs? Is that your question?

Nope, that's exactly what I thought. Thanks.

See ya the 15th through the 18th for a 4 game series. Should be fun. Bring your blood rage and boxing gloves. I’ll bring my baseball gloves. Let’s not break tradition between the organizations.

Oh Yadi is OVERLY emotional. He’s hung up on respect, and some of those instances were him having enough, like the cubs game. We were getting hosed down the entire time. Umps suck in Chicago.

The Phillips incident started before the knee tap. Phillips liked to troll Yadi and get under his skin.

We have a lot of players come at us. Kings of the national league it happens. I preferred Matheny’s temper to Shild’s passiveness.

Haha there’s a mod editing the thread and removing my comments about trolling you guys for fun. That’s hilarious.

See ya the 15th through the 18th for a 4 game series. Should be fun. Bring your blood rage and boxing gloves. I’ll bring my baseball gloves. Let’s not break tradition between the organizations.

Anyone but you can see very quickly that there is only one person here close to a "blood rage" and its not me. You are pretty worked up here and in other threads over a team that you consider insignificant and beneath you. I know a lot of Cardinals fans; they are mostly good dudes. You are the only one I have run into that has this , well, obsession.

Anyone but you can see very quickly that there is only one person here close to a "blood rage" and its not me. You are pretty worked up here and in other threads over a team that you consider insignificant and beneath you. I know a lot of Cardinals fans; they are mostly good dudes. You are the only one I have run into that has this , well, obsession.

Thing is everytime there’s a baseball thread people bash it and act like they couldn’t care less. So hey, wanted to see if I could get some shit going, and I’ve got about 20 of you comin at me. It’s funner to care. Glad to see you boys still have some fire.

Sad to see a Cincinnati local product like Scooter leave. For cash considerations and on a 9 million salary this year, half way through. Lucky to get close to half of that and it's not enough to bring back someone significant in FA. Arguably got more in return for Roark. Damn near was the batting champion last season until Christian Yelich began his late season surge to be what he is today.

Sad to see a Cincinnati local product like Scooter leave. For cash considerations and on a 9 million salary this year, half way through. Lucky to get close to half of that and it's not enough to bring back someone significant in FA. Arguably got more in return for Roark. Damn near was the batting champion last season until Christian Yelich began his late season surge to be what he is today.
The player to be named later for scooter will be something of substance it won’t be some 29 yr old rookie. The reds have no true shortstop. So they will resign Iglesias, and double d who has played well. Also, VanMeter will play second and paraza will probably be the main utility guy. I know the kid from oakland was their second round pick a yr ago and if history repeats, Oakland is really good at scouting talent. The reds will also have some nice spending money in the offseason. Depending on Alex wood, I offer him a deal with incentives because nobody is going to give him a hefty contract. They also need to see how Bauer does the rest of the year, because they will have to open the checkbook and sign him. He will get 18 million in arbitration next yr. I hated losing trammell, but they have plenty of outfielders. They can look for pitching in free agency, as well as keep their own guys.

The player to be named later for scooter will be something of substance it won’t be some 29 yr old rookie. The reds have no true shortstop. So they will resign Iglesias, and double d who has played well. Also, VanMeter will play second and paraza will probably be the main utility guy. I know the kid from oakland was their second round pick a yr ago and if history repeats, Oakland is really good at scouting talent. The reds will also have some nice spending money in the offseason. Depending on Alex wood, I offer him a deal with incentives because nobody is going to give him a hefty contract. They also need to see how Bauer does the rest of the year, because they will have to open the checkbook and sign him. He will get 18 million in arbitration next yr. I hated losing trammell, but they have plenty of outfielders. They can look for pitching in free agency, as well as keep their own guys.
Roark was the only one we received a player in return on I believe. 2018 2nd round pick, Jameson Hannah. As my previous post said, Oakland arguably gave CIN more of a return since we do not know how much cash was given for a 2 month rental like Scooter who is recovering from injury going in a contract year. SF definitely bought low on him and a great move for them. I did not see where they got a player to be named later on Scooter? All I saw was cash considerations.

I can see Senzel returning to 2nd base, more natural position for him at some point in the future. I prefer this with his history of vertigo. If he has too many concussions hitting the OF wall, we could have another Nick Esasky situation on are hands. VanMeter would be better utilized in the OF with Winker and Ervin getting regular playing time with the current roster as is. Definitely see Peraza/Deitrich floating around as a utility player. The Reds are fond of Farmer's versatility in the field as well and why they choose to keep 3 catchers on the roster. Outfield depth within the organization is not as strong as it was yesterday.. Should Senzel stay in CF, he seems to be the only sure fire bet to be a make it at the MLB level. Lost 2 outfielders in the organization in one deal. VanMeter seems to be promising but the jury is still out on him, Winker, Ervin and Peraza as proven everyday players to build a contending team around. The days they are utilized in the infield will obviously have an impact on Outfield depth in case of injury or any late game defensive substitutions.

The Reds will never be big spenders on the free agency market. Should be a no-brainer to keep Bauer if possible. Aces never fall in our lap and IMO he's worthy of every penny considering how the Reds waste money on the likes of Homer Bailey. Will he want to stay in a small market and can we afford him? Go through a team still in rebuilding mode or bolt to a WS contender? Acquiring a Trevor Bauer caliber pitcher is an anomaly for the Reds and they had better do everything possible to keep him. He gives us one hell of a front 3 which can be enough get the job done in a playoff series if they're hitting on all cylinders. Re-signing Alex Wood and Anthony DeSclafani who is turning the corner showing signs of being healthy again, this is arguably a top 5 rotation. I'm sure the Yankees would love our rotation compared to their's today. The Reds gave up a lot for Trevor. He is a proven commodity with a track record, not a rookie pitcher with loads of potential. A wait and see approach could be playing with fire. If they're not going to flip him for prospects, Cincinnati needs to attempt a contract extension this offseason with him instead of losing him to a big market franchise in 2020.

Last edited:
Roark was the one we received a player in return on. 2018 2nd round pick, Jameson Hannah. As my previous post said, Oakland arguably gave CIN more of a return since we do not know how much cash was given for a 2 month rental like Scooter who is recovering from injury going in a contract year. SF definitely bought low on him and a great move for them. I did not see where they got a player to be named later on Scooter? All I saw was cash considerations.

I can see Senzel returning to 2nd base, more natural position for him at some point in the future. I prefer this with his history of vertigo. If he has too many concussions hitting the OF wall, we could have another Nick Esasky situation on are hands. VanMeter would be better utilized in the OF with Winker and Ervin getting regular playing time with the current roster as is.. Definitely see Peraaza floating around as a utility player. The Reds are fond of Farmer's versatility in the field as well. Outfield depth within the organization is not as strong as it was yesterday.. Should Senzel stay in CF, he seems to be the only sure fire bet to be a make it at the MLB level. Lost 2 outfielders in the organization in one deal. VanMeter seems to be promising but the jury is still out on him, Winker, Ervin and Peraza as proven everyday players to build a contending team around. The days they are utilized in the infield will obviously have an impact on Outfield depth in case of injury or any late game defensive substitutions.

The Reds will never be big spenders on the free agency market. Should be a no-brainer to keep Bauer possible. Will he want to stay in a small market and can we afford him? Go through a team still in rebuilding mode or bolt to a WS contender? Acquiring a Trevor Bauer caliber pitcher is an anomaly for the Reds and they had better do everything possible to keep him. He gives us one hell of a front 3 which can be enough get the job done in a playoff series if they're hitting on all cylinders. The Reds gave up a lot for Trevor. He is a proven commodity with a track record, not a rookie pitcher with loads of potential. A wait and see approach could be playing with fire. If they're not going to flip him for prospects, extend him instead of losing him to a big market franchise.
I think the reds will do everything they can to keep Bauer. They gave up their number 1 prospect to do so. If they could give homer bailey the money they did, they will find it for a former Cy Young contender since pitching is a premium in baseball. If they can’t, they will hold him for a big ransom this time next year. With him grey, and Castillo you have 3 studs. I think in the off-season they will continue to look. I still think they try to keep wood because he’s been hurt and could get a team friendly deal, sort of what they got with grey. Plus we need a lefty. They were looking for relief help, but didn’t want to rent a player. I loved puig, but you can find another outfielder. Pitching is a premium, without it, you won’t win anything. Castilini wants to win and be prepared for next year. I also think within 2 years the guy we drafted this yr who was the best pitcher in the draft will be up. He’s pitched great so far in the minors. He’s thrown 18 innings and no walks. If they could pay homer and vitro, they can pay Bauer and vitro. I also don’t think they want to let another cueto situation happen where they should of signed him and he went on to win a World Series

I think the reds will do everything they can to keep Bauer. They gave up their number 1 prospect to do so. If they could give homer bailey the money they did, they will find it for a former Cy Young contender since pitching is a premium in baseball. If they can’t, they will hold him for a big ransom this time next year. With him grey, and Castillo you have 3 studs. I think in the off-season they will continue to look. I still think they try to keep wood because he’s been hurt and could get a team friendly deal, sort of what they got with grey. Plus we need a lefty. They were looking for relief help, but didn’t want to rent a player. I loved puig, but you can find another outfielder. Pitching is a premium, without it, you won’t win anything. Castilini wants to win and be prepared for next year. I also think within 2 years the guy we drafted this yr who was the best pitcher in the draft will be up. He’s pitched great so far in the minors. He’s thrown 18 innings and no walks. If they could pay homer and vitro, they can pay Bauer and vitro. I also don’t think they want to let another cueto situation happen where they should of signed him and he went on to win a World Series
There are a lot of hypotheticals in this scenario and given the Reds history of not re-signing quality players and trading them off, I'll have to see it to believe it. Bob Castellini is a joke and would rather be cheap. Will never spend proper money on the open market to bring in hitting or pitching to guide are youngsters in this franchise towards winning ways. He's been here 14 seasons and have had 3 winning seasons, no playoff series wins and he's had plenty of time to make this franchise into a winner. Too many fire sales, it's a rinse and repeat cycle with the Reds.

All these prospects have to prove themselves first at the MLB level. Not everyone pans out. When we have constant fire sales, giving teams only 3 year windows to win in it's not a successful approach to building a stable franchise that will win at a high level. We are what we are, bottom feeders of the NL Central. The Starting rotation is great now, bullpen is shaky but decent when not overworked. You can have all of the pitching in the world but yet to have seen a team win a game with zero runs scored. If the Reds don't trade for guys like Bauer/Puig/Wood, they don't come here. Castellini and Jock Strap tease us fans with an over the hill Outfielder on the door of retirement like Jim Edmonds, Ryan Ludwick or a Marlon Byrd but why doesn't he sign these guys in their prime? He's cheap. Not the Cincinnati way. Trading all of the time will deplete the farm system. We do not have an offense to win by 2020, we're some years off. With Votto's aging and decline, Suarez & Senzel seem to be the only 2 reliable offensive players right now. I really like VanMeter's potential but I need to see more than 2 weeks of production before erecting a statue on his behalf.

Probably will get ripped like hell for this given this site has a 1,000 page thread slamming Jay Bruce but the Scott Rolen trade only got us to the playoffs for 2 seasons with him. Look what Edwin Encarnacion has become. People talking about him putting up HOF numbers. Those numbers would have been just stupid had he made it with Cincinnati in GABP. I realize he had plenty of chances here but people don't be stupid and misconstrue the point, the player he's been the last 10 years would have been lethal in our hitters' park. Paying Homer for 2 no-hitters and letting Cueto go in a trade win a World Series with a team that has a comparable pay roll. These are 2 examples but I can name countless ones and our fans are sick and tired of 30 years of mediocrity. It should not take that long to rebuild, a process that never ends in Cincinnati. The trade for Bauer while giving up 2 key cogs in the offense in separate trades, sends mixed signals to us fans and I'm unsure of the direction we are headed. It's hard to remain optimistic after decades of losing. Consistently one of the worst franchises in baseball. We're not going to magically become a big market team and keep all of our players. Can only afford 2 or 3 guys at any given time getting paid on Votto's level. Another fire sale is inevitable.

Last edited:
There are a lot of hypotheticals in this scenario and given the Reds history of not re-signing quality players and trading them off, I'll have to see it to believe it. Bob Castellini is a joke and would rather be cheap. Will never spend proper money on the open market to bring in hitting or pitching to guide this franchise towards winning ways. He's been here 14 seasons and have had 3 winning seasons, no playoff series wins and he's had plenty of time to make this franchise into a winner. Too many fire sales, it's a rinse and repeat cycle with the Reds.

All these prospects have to prove themselves first at the MLB level. Not everyone pans out. When we have constant fire sales, giving teams only 3 year windows to win in it's not a successful approach to building a stable franchise that will win at a high level. We are what we are, bottom feeders of the NL Central. If the Reds don't trade for guys like Bauer/Puig/Wood, they don't come here. Castellini and Jock Strap tease us fans with an over the hill Outfielder on the door of retirement like Jim Edmonds, Ryan Ludwick or a Marlon Byrd but why doesn't he sign these guys in their prime? He's cheap. Not the Cincinnati way. Trading all of the time will deplete the farm system. We do not have an offense to win by 2020, we're some years off. With Votto's aging and decline, Suarez & Senzel seem to be the only 2 reliable offensive players right now. I really like VanMeter's potential but I need to see more than 2 weeks of production before erecting a statue on his behalf.

Probably will get ripped like hell for this given this site has a 1,000 page thread slamming Jay Bruce but the Scott Rolen trade only got us to the playoffs for 2 seasons with him. Look what Edwin Encarnacion has become. People talking about him putting up HOF numbers. Those numbers would have been just stupid had he made it with Cincinnati in GABP. I realize he had plenty of chances here but people don't be stupid and misconstrue the point, the player he's been the last 10 years would have been lethal in our hitters park. Paying Homer for 2 no-hitters and letting Cueto go in a trade win a World Series with a team that has a comparable pay roll. These are 2 examples but I can name countless ones and our fans are sick and tired of 30 years of mediocrity. It should not take that long to rebuild, a process that never ends in Cincinnati.
I’m with you, and so are the rest of the fans I think ownership knows it based on attendance. I think castellini knows he has to put something into the franchise or fans will stop going altogether. Now that you have a guy like Bauer and if he pitches well, you pay him plain and simple. They need to work out a 5 yr deal with a club option. You can’t let a guy like him walk. We got Castillo for peanuts the next few years thank you Florida for screwing that up. We also got a steal with Suarez by giving up Simon. Suarez is signed for a few more years and is cheap. Bauer will easily be our number 2 next yr. Next to votto they can afford one more big contract if they play their cards right in the off-season. The rest of the guys on the team are either cheap or signed. Bauer made it clear to Cleveland he wasn’t going to resign which is why he was dealt now. I’m sure there were factors in that decision besides the team. He will be treated much like puig was here. It would be awesome if the reds could somehow get puig to come back after the season because our hitting coach is his favorite coach in baseball and was with him in Los Angeles. I know it’s a pipe dream but it would be awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT