ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Allen says he didn't come to UK because of Pitino

Serious question: How much of what Pitino's "and everything" was when he was at UK. I am not defending him or burying my head in the sand but am asking what he did while he was here that was known? I know what Calhoun was doing and I also know that he was hated by the other coaches in his conference for his schenanigans.
Pitino coached at the Ville, he didn't know about Katina. Dang those kids could have picked up prettier, classier, women on their own

Ray, one of my favorite players ever, left college in 1996. He made the Elite 8 once and the Sweet 16 twice (94-96). Kentucky did okay during that time.

I also think Mashburn was the one who hosted him.
He was, they went to Pitino's restaurant, it's in my OP

Reactions: NociHTTP
Serious question: How much of what Pitino's "and everything" was when he was at UK. I am not defending him or burying my head in the sand but am asking what he did while he was here that was known? I know what Calhoun was doing and I also know that he was hated by the other coaches in his conference for his schenanigans.
It's hard to know, but I don't think you go from squeaky clean straight to literally hiring prostitutes for recruits.

So it's hard for me to say he was ever squeaky clean.

Again his program LITERALLY hired prostitutes for recruits.....

Reactions: saxonburgcat
To each is own but I will always believe it was Jurich that orchestrated all that cheating. Jurich gave his football coach an order to recruit both Willy Williams and that kid from TCU that beat up his girlfriend. Kregthorpe didn’t want them after cleaning up Petrinos first mess. Jurich ordered him to offer a scholarship. Williams is now doing life for murder. Pitino may have turned his head, but make no mistake. Tom Jurich was the epitome of win at all cost. He was Pitinos boss? What are you gonna do when you boss orders you to cheat?? Quit? Or turn your head? Now his personal problems he’s gotta own.
This can't be a serious take. Jurich forced him to hire prostitutes????

If you really believe that, let me ask you.

What would you do if your boss asked you to HIRE PROSTITES for recruits (some under age)????

Loser GIF by Playboy Fragrances

Proof this board will "fight" over anything...
RP was a prick (everyone but an apologist knows that)
RP was a great coach.

the guy can be both
I do understand a coach separating himself from his players. Friends sometimes are not respected. We found out what happens when a players first coach is at your school. It leads to
This can't be a serious take. Jurich forced him to hire prostitutes????

If you really believe that, let me ask you.

What would you do if your boss asked you to HIRE PROSTITES for recruits (some under age)????
pitino was Never implicated In that what so ever. It was Andre MCgee that hired them on behalf of a booster he would not name. Pitino was fired for lack of control. He sued for his salary and I believe won. I said to each is own. I believe, He turned his head to what Jurich and the boosters were doing. I don’t wanna know about it. Teammates Hancock ad Siva said they were completely in the dark about what the others were doing. They were religious and not included. No one would talk so we will never know. Trust me, I hate Louisville as much as anyone. Jurich should be in jail for bribery for the Yum center and obstruction of justice for bribing LMPD to keep his players out of jail. I have cop friends. They say it was common knowledge NOT to arrest players. Jurich had political bribes out and they were not to be touched. He was way worse than most believe.

If you really believe a control freak and ego maniac like Rick Pitino didn’t know what was going on…

Oh boy.

Oh he knew lol. All of these guys know what goes on in their program. They know it down to the detail, what he did was act ignorant while it went on. None of the assistants who’s lives depend on the connections to these coaches blink without approval. I’m a Pitino guy from growing up in the 90’s but I won’t deny he knew. I think he had to do a lot of crazy sht once Calipari got to Kentucky his competitiveness and ego screwed him up. Louisville is a very hard job and he undersold just how hard it is. Louisville wouldn’t have done anything after coaches saw Crum be forgotten quickly because of Kentucky. No coach would have wanted it and Pitino’s ego got him there too. He thought he could flip the state. Worst mistake of his coaching career. Louisville has been a dead program since Crum and now that Pitino ruined himself there other coaches are done with it. Kenny Payne? Pat Kelsey? Yes that’s the best they could do today and it won’t get better. Heavily overshadowed program in a bad position and evidence that a great coach like crum couldn’t sustain their position legacy wise.

But none of these coaches are clean. None. Calipari is one of the dirtiest there is if people don’t think that then I don’t know what to tell them. He’s not alone, K, Roy, Calhoun all of them are the dirtiest of the dirty that’s how they climbed the ladder in the dirtiest sport there is. I don’t really care, I want to mend the relationship with Pitino for our history and close that chapter.

Pitino was never anywhere close to as good a recruiter as Cal. But the dude could coach and prepare a team.

He obviously had issues, no getting around that. If you are not a forgiving sort, he will always be a liar and an adulterer above all else. If you are a forgiving type, he is probably worming his way back into the Kentucky Basketball Family with his recent support of Pope!

I believe in redemption. So, he is worming his way back in for me. I can certainly understand those who will never forgive him.
If apologizes for the bird and gets the tattoo removed, he can absolutely come home.

It's hard to know, but I don't think you go from squeaky clean straight to literally hiring prostitutes for recruits.

Yeah, I agree with that 100%. But, the flip side is that we have a very good compliance department and we never even heard rumors of stuff like that at UK. The culture at UL is also very different from the culture at UK and always has been. Also, Rick had some assistants here who would never have sunk that low.

Yeah, I agree with that 100%. But, the flip side is that we have a very good compliance department and we never even heard rumors of stuff like that at UK. The culture at UL is also very different from the culture at UK and always has been. Also, Rick had some assistants here who would never have sunk that low.

Rick was in a position where he felt he had to allow things to compete. He undersold how difficult of a job Louisville is. As I said l, Crum was a great coach who’s largely unknown nation wide. That’s how difficult that job is, nobody really thinks about it. At UK Rick would have never had to sunk to those depths or felt he needed to.

Louisville would have died a long time ago had Rick not made the mistake of overvaluing their place in the game. Lousiville is now a place of caution for great coaches and will never rise to the top levels again. If a guy like Crum is nearly unknown by the basketball world outside of Kentucky, it speaks to how small of a platform Louisville is. If a guy like Pitino cannot win big without this kind of nonsense? No great coaches are messing with it. Then the overshadowing of UK down the road….. it’s just not happening.

This doesn’t even get into conference realignment. Lousivlle is going back to a smaller conference while UK is firmly SEC. It’s really over for them that’s the reason for hiring guys like Payne and Pat Kelsey.

He got in trouble at Hawaii before he even came to Providence or Kentucky.

Reactions: thedahc and davtay
He got in trouble at Hawaii before he even came to Providence or Kentucky.
The violations involving Pitino included providing round-trip air fare for a player between New York and Honolulu, arranging for student-athletes to receive used cars for season tickets, and handing out coupons to players for free food at McDonald's. He was also cited, along with the head coach, Bruce O'Neil, for providing misinformation to the NCAA and University of Hawaii officials.

The violations involving Pitino included providing round-trip air fare for a player between New York and Honolulu, arranging for student-athletes to receive used cars for season tickets, and handing out coupons to players for free food at McDonald's. He was also cited, along with the head coach, Bruce O'Neil, for providing misinformation to the NCAA and University of Hawaii officials.

Yet some would eat breakfast off of the "L" on his back. It's a sick fetish where they hate Calipari so bad that they profess their undying love for Pitino. Sick bunch, lol.

Reactions: thedahc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT