ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ranking UK's 2023 football games in order of difficulty

I would have South Carolina ahead of MSU, simply because MSU is transitioning to a new coaching staff, and the Cocks seem to be a team back on the rise.
I would put Mizzou ahead of Florida because they are at least as good as the Gators and that's a trap game following UGA.

Flip Florida below Louisville, tied with the Dores. They will be fighting Mizzou and Vandy for 14th out of 14 SEC team quality for 2023.

StarkVegas has been a house of horrors for 15 yrs for us, they aren't as good as Knoxville but still might be a tougher win to expect.

My worthless opinions:

1. Swap Bama with UGA. Not sold on UGA being a top three team in the country this year like I am Bama.
2. I'd move UofL up to #5. Road game at main rival w/ new coach who got some good skill position transfers.
3. Move SCAR ahead of Miss St for same reasons Deeeefense mentions above.

Reactions: HCaulfield
Good read.. Love hearing some football discussion.

Stoops has never won a road game against a west opponent, hopefully that changes against MSU.

We also have MSU coming off what will be an emotional week with the Vawls

Reactions: pumpedupcats
I would have South Carolina ahead of MSU, simply because MSU is transitioning to a new coaching staff, and the Cocks seem to be a team back on the rise.
I would put Mizzou ahead of Florida because they are at least as good as the Gators and that's a trap game following UGA.
I think Mizzou has the most potential to be a trap game. Whether they win or lose against UGA, that'll probably be a letdown game.

I'd move Mizzou to #4 and move everything else down one.

Reactions: 1_Cool_CAT
South Carolina will be lucky to finish 6-6, their road games are against GA, TN, Mizzo and TA&M most likely all losses. They play UNC their first game, Clemson their last with UK prior to Clemson. Florida, MSST and Vandy round out their SEC foes, Jacksonville St and Furman are their sure wins. Actually I would pick them at 5-7 but 4-7 wouldn't be surprising.

I am thinking alone the same lines as you regarding Carolina and State. Not sure about UF and Missouri, I don't think either is going to be real strong.

My worthless opinions:

1. Swap Bama with UGA. Not sold on UGA being a top three team in the country this year like I am Bama.
2. I'd move UofL up to #5. Road game at main rival w/ new coach who got some good skill position transfers.
3. Move SCAR ahead of Miss St for same reasons Deeeefense mentions above.

You could very well be right, but UGA was better than Bama last year, returns more starter on both sides of the ball. Bama's QBs were so bad in their spring game they brought a career backup in. What do you see that makes you think they improved this year?

You could very well be right, but UGA was better than Bama last year, returns more starter on both sides of the ball. Bama's QBs were so bad in their spring game they brought a career backup in. What do you see that makes you think they improved this year?
It’s all very marginal differences that I doubt amount to much (maybe one win difference), but I mainly think it’s hard to stay motivated after back-to-back titles. Add in a new OC, new QB, potential for injuries, etc. I’m not saying UGA will be less than 10-2 to be clear.

I’m guessing Bama upgraded at OC, motivated off-season, and avoids injuries with some luck. Now, their QB situation is worrisome maybe more so.

It’s all very marginal differences that I doubt amount to much (maybe one win difference), but I mainly think it’s hard to stay motivated after back-to-back titles. Add in a new OC, new QB, potential for injuries, etc. I’m not saying UGA will be less than 10-2 to be clear.

I’m guessing Bama upgraded at OC, motivated off-season, and avoids injuries with some luck. Now, their QB situation is worrisome maybe more so.

Those are all fir. But Bobo's offenses have the record for most points in a season with quite a bit less talent at the skill positions. UGA returns 4 Ol starters from the NC game, the best TE in college football and a qb who looked very good in his limited attempts at running our offense. Beck is the likely starter, big time arm, looked very good in limited opportunities, but will line up behind 4 OL who will be drafted next spring and another who will be drafted in 2025, arguably our best OL ever. I am not claiming an SEC Championship, but I think we are better than Bama in 23.

Florida would be above South Carolina for me

I will never buy into the Shane Beamer/USCjr hype

Florida would be above South Carolina for me

I will never buy into the Shane Beamer/USCjr hype
The hype they get is exhausting and has probably helped them sign better classes than they would have otherwise based off mediocre results. I abhor them and I thought Beamer was a total joke when he first got there, but it's hard to argue with some of the success they've had. I don't understand it honestly. I think they have benefited from the way the schedule broke quite a few times (last year they caught us and UT at the perfect time). The ball has bounced their way quite a bit with opportunistic plays on ST and defense - but maybe that's just Beamer Ball?!

They have definitely overachieved under him. You have to think they will regress to the mean at some point. But I do worry about that game in Columbia this year more than I do UF at home.

Reactions: backinky2018
Good writeup. I could quibble with a few of the rankings, but I see the logic in all of it.

One thing that UK does NOT have going in its favor this year is that there are several swing games with bad (to terrible) placement on the schedule.

Playing @USC the week after playing Bama at home and before going to Louisville? Yuck. Playing Mizzou the week after playing Florida and Georgia? Gross. Playing MSU on the road the week after a monster home game against UT? Ugh.

On the other hand, the schedule allows for a very fast start if UK can take care of business. I think that a 5-0 start should be EXPECTED, though obviously, winning in Nashville and at home against the Gators is not a given.

If that 5-0 start comes to fruition, then UK will be in a lot of big games in October and November.

It's why coaches don't want to rank teams.....as in when the gamecocks play their butts off against us
and the coach says that sports writer says we're the second easiest sec team on their schedule. So
JR you'll get the credit if they beat us!

1. UGA
2. Tenn- our Def just doesn’t match up yet to Tenn Off
3. Bama
4. @ Miss St
5. @ SC
6. @ UL
7. Mizzou
8. Florida
9. @ Vandy

1. at UGA (Just plain better than anyone else in the SEC - 20 pt loss)
2. Bama (Too much talent & Saban - 20 pt loss)
3. Tennessee (I just don't think we can stop them enough defensively - possible shootout)
4. at S. Carolina (On the rise--again)
5. Missouri (Always a close game-luckily were in Lexington)
6. at Mississippi State (We just can't seem to win there)
7. at Vandy (beat us last year at Home)
8. at Louisville (Will play their asses off to beat us)
9. Florida (dumpster fire of a program---for now)
10. EKU (Better than the two below)
11. Ball State
12. Akron

We will know after the first 4-5 games what kind of improvement that UK has made on the Oline. If the Oline is average or better then UK has the talent and has the potential to challenge for the SEC East. Ga, ALA, Tenn are the 3 toughest.

For grins Sagarin ratings now would have the list as:
  1. @ Georgia 102.43
  2. Alabama 95.88
  3. Tennessee 93.37
  4. @Mississippi State 85.84
  5. @Louisville 83.41 (Really? How do they rate so high?)
  6. @South Carolina 79.71
  7. Florida 77.7
  8. Missouri 72.39
  9. @Vanderbilt 67.21
  10. Ball State 60.11
  11. Akron 52.73
  12. EKU 48.79
They have Kentucky on the road as 77.1 so Sagarin would be predicting a 6-6 record. Not that I agree with this at all.

1. UGA, season depends on Beck, he has more talent around him than Bennett ever did, defense returns 7 starters

2. I don't think the vols are more talented, I think they are a more difficult matchup than Bama.

3. Bama, 2 new coordinators, not sure who QB is, no take charge WR.

The next 5, UF, Missouri, Carolina, State, Louisville, I think you could just pick them in any order.

Vandy, a step below the 5, but can't take them for an easy win

The 3 check cashers, neither is a threat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT