ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking our Top 5 Players In Order

It'saDoneDeal

Junior
Jul 24, 2007
Through 7 games, here's the list of our top five players in order:

#1. Reed Sheppard: Beyond the out-of-this-world shooting efficiency, the best thing about Reed doesn't show up on the stat sheet: he makes everyone around him better. His anticipation, and the way he's calmly able to both push controlled pace on offense and apply controlled pressure on defense is so impressive. He's just a natural playmaker that doesn't have to force anything because the game comes so naturally to him, like breathing air or thinking farts are funny. Already on UK's all-time Cream Team and hasn't even played 10 games.

#2. Rob Dillingham: I'm so impressed with this dude and think he's still underrated by UK fans. The first sign he wasn't messing around was when he showed up in the Blue/White game with 20 extra pounds of muscle looking like he spent the Summer just fighting packs of wild dogs and dropped 40 points. Like Reed, he just oozes natural playmaking. It comes so easily for him. Sure, he brings some sauce to what he's doing, but it hardly ever looks forced and is generally the right basketball play. I knew this guy was a shot maker, but he's a born playmaker who like Reed makes everyone around him better. Shooting over 50% from 3 and a 5-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio? Yeah, that'll do.

#3. Antonio Reeves: Just a do-everything scorer. Can win at all levels on the floor, with great start-stop ability to get free and get his shot. Despite the clunker of the Kansas game, he has been out of this world. I've been especially impressed with his pull-up game so far this year and it seems like playing with this group and their infectious playmaking and passing has bled over into his game as I'm noticing he's doing more of the little things so far this season, like grabbing a tough board, or making that extra pass for a better shot, whereas last season it felt like he was forcing his game at times. Nope, not this year. Just averaging a casual 19 points a game.

#4. Tre Mitchell: I must admit, I didn't think he'd be this good. I figured he'd be a good pick-and-pop option for this squad, but like Reeves, you just notice so much more of the little stuff. He's a quietly sound playmaker. He's a better finisher around the basket than I thought he'd be. He's got good hands and a very nice handle for a man of his size. He's in a tough spot on defense with our current roster, but he does battle and isn't a huge liability.

#5. D.J. Wagner: Considered Thiero and Edwards here, but ultimately went with D.J. Unlike Reed and Rob, D.J.'s game still seems awkward and forced most of the time. It's like he's still feeling his way out, like a blind man at an orgy. But he's already showed notable improvement and the ability to just breakdown and get by anyone trying to stay in front of him. That's going to put any defense at a disadvantage playing against a guy who can consistently get past his man and get to the rim. He has been almost quietly really good protecting the rock and has the potential to be an elite on ball defender. Exciting stuff.

What do you all think?

Through 7 games, here's the list of our top five players in order:

#1. Reed Sheppard: Beyond the out-of-this-world shooting efficiency, the best thing about Reed doesn't show up on the stat sheet: he makes everyone around him better. His anticipation, and the way he's calmly able to both push controlled pace on offense and apply controlled pressure on defense is so impressive. He's just a natural playmaker that doesn't have to force anything because the game comes so naturally to him, like breathing air or thinking farts are funny. Already on UK's all-time Cream Team and hasn't even played 10 games.

#2. Rob Dillingham: I'm so impressed with this dude and think he's still underrated by UK fans. The first sign he wasn't messing around was when he showed up in the Blue/White game with 20 extra pounds of muscle looking like he spent the Summer just fighting packs of wild dogs and dropped 40 points. Like Reed, he just oozes natural playmaking. It comes so easily for him. Sure, he brings some sauce to what he's doing, but it hardly ever looks forced and is generally the right basketball play. I knew this guy was a shot maker, but he's a born playmaker who like Reed makes everyone around him better. Shooting over 50% from 3 and a 5-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio? Yeah, that'll do.

#3. Antonio Reeves: Just a do-everything scorer. Can win at all levels on the floor, with great start-stop ability to get free and get his shot. Despite the clunker of the Kansas game, he has been out of this world. I've been especially impressed with his pull-up game so far this year and it seems like playing with this group and their infectious playmaking and passing has bled over into his game as I'm noticing he's doing more of the little things so far this season, like grabbing a tough board, or making that extra pass for a better shot, whereas last season it felt like he was forcing his game at times. Nope, not this year. Just averaging a casual 19 points a game.

#4. Tre Mitchell: I must admit, I didn't think he'd be this good. I figured he'd be a good pick-and-pop option for this squad, but like Reeves, you just notice so much more of the little stuff. He's a quietly sound playmaker. He's a better finisher around the basket than I thought he'd be. He's got good hands and a very nice handle for a man of his size. He's in a tough spot on defense with our current roster, but he does battle and isn't a huge liability.

#5. D.J. Wagner: Considered Thiero and Edwards here, but ultimately went with D.J. Unlike Reed and Rob, D.J.'s game still seems awkward and forced most of the time. It's like he's still feeling his way out, like a blind man at an orgy. But he's already showed notable improvement and the ability to just breakdown and get by anyone trying to stay in front of him. That's going to put any defense at a disadvantage playing against a guy who can consistently get passed his man and get to the rim. He has been almost quietly really good protecting the rock and has the potential to be an elite on ball defender. Exciting stuff.

What do you all think?
Thiero and Edwards more valuable than Wagner, and probably more skilled too.

Many on this board claim we “need” Wagner to make a run. Depth is good, but he’d be the last guard on the depth chart if anyone but CCC were coaching this team.

Any other coach would play Reed, Dilly, and Reeves. Edwards and Thiero would play at the 2 and 3 position as needed, along with the 4. And Wagner would get whatever guard minutes remained.

It’s one of the weirder team I can remember in the sense that the two players who’ve so far arguably played the best on a per-minute basis (Sheppard and Dillingham) are BOTH nonstarters coming off the bench.

The only thing similar I can recall is the 2015 team where lots of folks thought our two backup guards (Ulis and Booker) were better than the starters. Except this time I think the difference is even more noticeable and clear-cut.

But it’s still an awfully damn good problem to have. Too many quality guards beats the holy hell out of not having enough.

Many on this board claim we “need” Wagner to make a run. Depth is good, but he’d be the last guard on the depth chart if anyone but CCC were coaching this team.

Any other coach would play Reed, Dilly, and Reeves. Edwards and Thiero would play at the 2 and 3 position as needed, along with the 4. And Wagner would get whatever guard minutes remained.

Totally deflates a team with Reed and Rob coming in to replace starters. They take the wind out of opponent. Terrible take.

Lol

It’s one of the weirder team I can remember in the sense that the two players who’ve so far arguably played the best on a per-minute basis (Sheppard and Dillingham) are BOTH nonstarters coming off the bench.

The only thing similar I can recall is the 2015 team where lots of folks thought our two backup guards (Ulis and Booker) were better than the starters. Except this time I think the difference is even more noticeable and clear-cut.

But it’s still an awfully damn good problem to have. Too many quality guards beats the holy hell out of not having enough.
2015 weren't better. Not even close. Andrew Harrison was a dominant ball handler that got to the basket at will. Go back and watch some of the highlights of 14,15 . Those 2 got a bad rap for not being overly athletic. We were spoiled with talent back then.

I think Dillingham will end up being the best. Sheppard's been incredible and I'd expect him to be good all season long but Dillingham's ceiling is one of the few best guards in the NBA.

And as good as Sheppard has been he's not going to continue to shoot 60% from 3 all year, definitely some regression to the mean on the way there.

Reactions: gharding07

This. In 2015, it was different because we made a run to title game year prior with that starting backcourt. It was much more plausible. Not to mention, Booker couldn’t guard a fence post that season. This season? No good explanation for it to be quite honest.

Reactions: UK90

Terrible take.

I think Rob is the best player on this team by a slight margin but we have 7 other guys that are about as good as gets. Reed has been the most complete player though!

Thanks for showing you don't understand basketball LOL

What I like is all the guys do something different, each have their own set of skills! All are shot makers and that is everything!

I love our entire team but feel like Reed and Tre are the keys. Smarts, good and leadership. Having them both out there together is huge.

However we are going to need at least 1 of the bigs to play and come through to be a real contender, not get out rebounded regularly and have some post presence on D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT