ADVERTISEMENT

Quick question regarding “Buyouts”…

TFCats11

Senior
Mar 25, 2019
Western Michigan
I’m by no means promoting Nate Oats to be UK’s next HC, but I’m curious…

Why would UK have to pay Alabama $18 million to hire Oats, but Arkansas doesn’t have to pay UK $27-$33 million to hire Calipari?

Did Mitch blunder Cal’s stupid contract on another level?

There was no buyout for Calipari if he decided to leave Kentucky. Mitch didn't want a hostage for his coach and gave him the golden key to release his bonds if he had to flee.

Two different type of buyouts. Cal’s is a fired without cause buyout and Oats is a if you leave you pay us buyout.

Reactions: TFCats11
I always hated Mitch doesn’t put buyouts in coaches contracts. But, now I’m okay with it!

Same with Stoops…..he leaves $0, he’s fired $50mil

So can Oats do the same? I keep hearing it would cost another school $18 million to hire him.
No. It is in Oats contract that if he leaves on his own accord, he owes Arkansas 18 million. The hiring school pays it.

It was it Cal’s contract that if he left of his own accord, He and the hiring school owe nothing to UK.

Okay, so Alabama put a smart clause in Oats’ contract to protect them, and Mitch was trying to protect Calipari? Got it🤣
Oats has both type of buyouts in his contract. Cal only has the fired without cause buyout. The one that Oats has for $18 million wasn’t as common (especially at that amount) until recently. It’s becoming much more common now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT