ADVERTISEMENT

Question: Standing Ovations for Opposing Players

pascat

Senior
Aug 19, 2003
I've seen less and less of it over the years, but UK fans used to give standing ovations to opponents who played very well. Do you remember players from other teams who got standing o's from the Memorial/Rupp crowd? I know David Robinson was one. I think Chris Jackson was another. Who else do you remember?

I was at the David Robinson game, and the ovation as he exited the game for the last time was loud and long. Of course, it didn't hurt that we beat them somewhat easily, so we were all in a good mood.

And it didn't hurt Robinson's performance that Rob Locke was guarding him. Just sayin'

It probably happens less these days because very few outstanding players stay in college long enough to earn one.
I mean, are we going to give a standing ovation to a freshman we are playing for the first time? Unlikely. For an outstanding senior who we know will be finishing his college career and won’t ever play at Rupp again? Sure.

Fans were quite a bit more basketball savvy in those days. They knew and appreciated basketball a great deal. ESPN has created a more simplistic view of the game. More selfish approach

Reactions: awf and deep3
I was at the David Robinson game, and the ovation as he exited the game for the last time was loud and long. Of course, it didn't hurt that we beat them somewhat easily, so we were all in a good mood.

And it didn't hurt Robinson's performance that Rob Locke was guarding him. Just sayin'

Good ole Lob Rock

Reactions: Soupbean

I was there also. We still got the victory if I recall properly. KY appreciates good players even opponents!

I've seen less and less of it over the years, but UK fans used to give standing ovations to opponents who played very well. Do you remember players from other teams who got standing o's from the Memorial/Rupp crowd? I know David Robinson was one. I think Chris Jackson was another. Who else do you remember?
You're right UK crowds were known for that. Austin Carr for ND got one when he went off back then. Used to see it a lot when they had the UKIT and smaller teams would come in and a guy would impress like Freeman Williams of Portland St.

Reactions: JustBlue
Most recent one I recall was in 2018.
Uk vs. VMI.
Bubba Parnham went off! Scored a career high 35 pts and 10 made 3s. Hell of a game.
Rupp gave this kid much applause after the game and it was well deserved!
Seemed every shot he took you could hear the crowd gasp in awe and excitement!

The circumstances for the ovation don't exist anymore. The Navy coach called a timeout so he could bring Robinson out of the game. Other times a player has fouled out. No one would out anymore because of the sit with two philosophy. Cal played starters all game. The fans are the same, the game isn't.

You're right UK crowds were known for that. Austin Carr for ND got one when he went off back then. Used to see it a lot when they had the UKIT and smaller teams would come in and a guy would impress like Freeman Williams of Portland St.
was there for Freeman williams game. As I recall he went out to a standing ovation had like 40 points or so, and checked back in.

These are great stories. I love that Cawood Ledford would enthusiastically praise quality opponents and I think the fans took their cue from Cawood. It's such a good tradition. It reflects our basketball knowledge and respect for the game.

Reactions: awf
Some no name kid who played for a small school, hot about 50 3's, nothing wrong w showing respect to an opponent who played well

Lob Rocke

I was curious about Austin Carr, so I looked. He was NPOY and the #1 pick on the draft, so I shouldn’t be too shocked, but damn, he tore us up. Here are his 4 games against us

Sophomore 11 - 20 for 23 points
Junior 20 -27 for 43 points
Junior 22 - 35 for 52 points
Senior 21 - 32 for 50 points

Career 65% FG and 42 ppg

Outside of Pistol Pete, can anyone think of someone else who had a career like that against UK?

Last edited:
Reactions: Soupbean
I was curious about Austin Carr, so I looked. He was NPOY and the #1 pick on the draft, so I shouldn’t be too shocked, but damn, he tore us up. Here are his 4 games against us

Career 65% FG and 39.5 ppg

Outside of Pistol Pete, can anyone think of someone else who had a career like that against UK?
He averaged 42 points a game against Kentucky. http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/playersopposingos.html#Adrian_DantleyNo

One that I always remember is when Lawrence Roberts went down at Rupp, walked off to standing ovation. Was actually a pretty cool moment because he and Jake Powers went through absolute hell at Baylor — both transferred to Miss State. But dude was a beast.

Reactions: pascat
Kentucky usually has some of the more appreciative and knowledgeable basketball fans in the nation. Hopefully they don't start letting in a bunch of rupp rafters posters or that could change.

Career 65% FG and 42 ppg

Goodness, I couldnt even remember all that, just rembered he stuck 50 on us. That may even beat Pistol

There is only a slight mention of Pistol PEte Above. His standing ovation at his introduction in his last game was epic by the UK fans. It was several minutes lomg. He tried to wave the fans off, a few times, and it just got louder. It eventually moved to synced clapping and eventually sped into a frenzy. He and Issel were both in the race for highest scorer that year. Eventually Pete out scored Issel for the year by 13 points, he averaged 44, with no three point shot. In that last game in Memorial he set the scoring record there. He was 21-24 and 13-15 at the line, for 55. Issel was 14-23 and 7-8 for 35.

My dad always called Rob Locke "stonehands"

There is only a slight mention of Pistol PEte Above. His standing ovation at his introduction in his last game was epic by the UK fans. It was several minutes lomg. He tried to wave the fans off, a few times, and it just got louder. It eventually moved to synced clapping and eventually sped into a frenzy. He and Issel were both in the race for highest scorer that year. Eventually Pete out scored Issel for the year by 13 points, he averaged 44, with no three point shot. In that last game in Memorial he set the scoring record there. He was 21-24 and 13-15 at the line, for 55. Issel was 14-23 and 7-8 for 35.
I think the defense might of been better after the three point shot was introduced. I've watched some old film and teams pretty much dared you to shoot outside of about 15 feet. It was the same amount of points as a layup, so the strategy isn't bad. I watched a high school title game just before the three pointer went in and it was a whole game of uncontested 15 foot jump shots. I counted one shot that was taken outside of what is today's three point line and it was a miss.

Thank goodness that the three point shot was introduced. Pistol Pete was great, but I really don't know if the three point shot would of helped his or anyone else get much better stats. Might of extended the defense on a lot of players..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT