ADVERTISEMENT

Question on MLB replay rules

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
I just saw a play in the A&M-Ark game that made me wonder. It was a pop fly ball down the 3rd base line and the shortstop just missed catching in and it landed a few inches foul. Is foul and fair reviewable? If so, on this particular play where would the runner have been put had it been reviewed and ruled fair? In real life, he was already to 2nd base. Would it be complete judgment but whoever was reviewing the play?

I can't remember what game it was. It might have been Jay Bruce but the RF slid and attempted to catch the ball on the RF line and it was called foul. It was challenged and the batter was awarded a double because the ball had grazed the RF in fair territory and I guess they deemed he would've made to 2nd. I don't know the actual rules but that's what happened when I was watching.

Originally posted by cats1068:

I can't remember what game it was. It might have been Jay Bruce but the RF slid and attempted to catch the ball on the RF line and it was called foul. It was challenged and the batter was awarded a double because the ball had grazed the RF in fair territory and I guess they deemed he would've made to 2nd. I don't know the actual rules but that's what happened when I was watching.
Correct. Only it wasn't Jay Bruce, unless it happened twice, it was the Pirates' RF. He slid for the ball and actually hit him in the face. Original call was foul but replay said it was fair and gave the batter (I believe it was Frazier) 2nd base. One of the few replays that actually went the Reds' way this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT