ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the Duke Fans

Bagley got eligible because he is one of the best ball players in the country. Usually in my experience, all you have to do is show up in high school in order to get decent grades. In my 40 years in this earth and approximately 25 of that paying attention to how this thing works, including being an athletes myself, Bagley is not the first nor the last kid who will get into school because of his athleticism when he otherwise would not get into a lot of schools. I'm proud of K for getting him in. Duke is going to win a lot of games, Bagley will get a lot of exposure, maybe win a champion and then go make a lot of money. Sounds like winning all the way around to me. I reckon other programs who may not have the clout are upset but when K leaves, and the next big thing takes over (could be Cal), the outrage by the fans of that referenced coach and program will be missing all the sudden.

Excuse any typos or poor sentence structure, I'm multi tasking.

Reactions: bluegrasshickory
“The next big thing takes over.....”
Kentucky has been the biggest thing throughout college basketball history, since before you were born and even before your asshat coach was born. Kentucky will still be the preeminent basketball school once all you band wagon Dukies flit to another program.

Reactions: shep21754
I became a Duke fan in 86 because they were in the Championship game vs UL, so yes there was definitely some bandwagon activity on my part. No shame from me I was approximately 9 years old. As far as Kentucky basketball? Yea I mean you have no argument from me. Kentucky is one of the greatest programs ever, THEE greatest to many. When I say next big thing I'm speaking in terms of a coach who may ascend to GOAT status and take advantage of the effects that come with that. Before K there was Dean and I imagine after K Cal will have as good a chance as any to take over.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I've been coming here for a while, just never really post much. I come because there's often a great deal of discussion about the Duke program.
Here's some more discussion Duke is for winy, elitist, self centered rat faced blow hards .

Reactions: shep21754
Bagley got eligible because he is one of the best ball players in the country. Usually in my experience, all you have to do is show up in high school in order to get decent grades. In my 40 years in this earth and approximately 25 of that paying attention to how this thing works, including being an athletes myself, Bagley is not the first nor the last kid who will get into school because of his athleticism when he otherwise would not get into a lot of schools. I'm proud of K for getting him in. Duke is going to win a lot of games, Bagley will get a lot of exposure, maybe win a champion and then go make a lot of money. Sounds like winning all the way around to me. I reckon other programs who may not have the clout are upset but when K leaves, and the next big thing takes over (could be Cal), the outrage by the fans of that referenced coach and program will be missing all the sudden.

Excuse any typos or poor sentence structure, I'm multi tasking.
What are you picking your nose and eating it at the same time ?

How did Bledsoe get eligible?
I don't know, I guess you could ask the NCAA. They did investigated him twice. As for Bagley, we are still waiting for that investigation. I certainly won't be holding my breath for that one to begin. We all know when he uttered Duke there would never be an investigation. The same with Duval. They were both cleared the minute they chose Duke.

I don't know, I guess you could ask the NCAA. They did investigated him twice. As for Bagley, we are still waiting for that investigation. I certainly won't be holding my breath for that one to begin. We all know when he uttered Duke there would never be an investigation. The same with Duval. They were both cleared the minute they chose Duke.
Well, I might call it strategy and planning, but grand conspiracy has a RR ring to it.

Reactions: bluegrasshickory
With Bagley I really think his academics were fine all along and it's more likely Capel and Duke staff convinced him to keep it a secret or they had him sold on Duke early and just talked him into basically bypassing the recruiting process by letting the academic rumors stay out there to scare competition away.

Honestly Cal only gave him token attention. Either cal bought into the academic stuff or conceded him. Either way he knew there was little chance he'd play for us.

I just have a hard time believing the NCAA would actually rubber stamp the eligibility vetting process for one program. That kind of thing would surely get out through back channels and every other coach in the country would be fuming, very publicly, about it.

Also I think either Sandy Bell and Mitch Barnhardt are steering Cal away from a lot of players, or Cal is just terrified to take chances anymore after getting screwed over in the Derrick Rose case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT