ADVERTISEMENT

Question about blindside block penalty

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
If you don't lead with the shoulder like the Clemson guy did and just give him a little push is that still a blindside block or can you just not touch them at all if they can't see you coming?

I think you can give a push or get in the way, but they want to take out the de-cleating type hits.
As they should but I always wondered why I have never seen someone do it. Maybe they do and I just don't see it because they don't call it.

As they should but I always wondered why I have never seen someone do it. Maybe they do and I just don't see it because they don't call it.

It happens. Usually when running down the field. A guy running in front just kind of slows down to slow the other player down as well.

Reactions: Glenn's take
a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching, is defenseless.

Blindside is contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury.

all contact is illegal if both conditions are met UNLESS: initiated with open hands, forward of the elbow. Yes, if otherwise legal, you can push the defender. Many teach it like setting a basketball screen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT