ADVERTISEMENT

Purpose in playing cupcakes?

Never heard of Stonehill. What's the purpose in playing cupcakes? They don't help, often hurt seeding. The fans don't show up. It's not like Cal works on zones or inbound plays during these games. What gives?
Hopefully they will allow our (3) 7 footers to get in game shape before we hit conference play.

Never heard of Stonehill. What's the purpose in playing cupcakes? They don't help, often hurt seeding. The fans don't show up. It's not like Cal works on zones or inbound plays during these games. What gives?
They actually have nothing to do with seeding. Seeding is based on so much more than the cupcakes. RPI, SOS and your Quad Wins goes into seeding. The Conference and OOC games weigh more to the committee than cupcakes in November.

Losing to Kansas was not a bad loss. If you win it, that's definitely a Quad 1 Win, on the flip side if you lose to a bad Louisville team...that's a Quad 4 loss and those are the ones that hurt your seeding.

Cupcakes = everyone plays them in all sports, so it's nothing new. To the "cupcakes" it is a very good option for them because they benefit from it financially with hefty payouts. Plus it allows "The Big Boys" to get practice against someone other than themselves.

Reactions: Cats192
This. Play some decent mid majors or even bad power 5 teams. It's just not much fun to see us blow out the school of the blind teams. I think you can gauge where you are more by playing teams with a pulse. Just my 2 cents
There's benefit to cupcakes. Every other big basketball school recognizes this and schedules them as well. Teams can experiment and play around more in these games. They can figure out what does and doesn't work.

The purpose isn't to have a test or figure out where you're team is at. It's to figure things out in a safe from loss environment.

Mid-Majors and low end power 5 teams can upset you if you come out there and mess around with different sets and rotations. And that DOES hurt your resume/seeding.

Now you can't have all cupcakes. But we have a very strong non-conference schedule even with the cupcakes. Kansas, UNC, Miami, Gonzaga. St. Joseph's is 93 in the Kenpom. Penn is 171, but they're 6 spots better than Louisville.

There's benefit to cupcakes. Every other big basketball school recognizes this and schedules them as well. Teams can experiment and play around more in these games. They can figure out what does and doesn't work.

The purpose isn't to have a test or figure out where you're team is at. It's to figure things out in a safe from loss environment.

Mid-Majors and low end power 5 teams can upset you if you come out there and mess around with different sets and rotations. And that DOES hurt your resume/seeding.

Now you can't have all cupcakes. But we have a very strong non-conference schedule even with the cupcakes. Kansas, UNC, Miami, Gonzaga. St. Joseph's is 93 in the Kenpom. Penn is 171, but they're 6 spots better than Louisville.
Didn't know Louisville was that high.

Ruins your SOS. Maybe you luck out and a couple of them have solid winning seasons and win their conference or something.
It really doesn't. We've played cupcakes forever. All the other big programs play cupcakes. SOS isn't an issue for Kentucky. You only need a handful of good non-conference opponents.

Scheduling too many "good teams" will lead to more losses, and that will hurt the resume.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Ever heard of Queens University, Eastern IL St, North Carolina Central, Eastern Oregon, Morgan St, Charleston Southern?

Those are all teams Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, UNC play this season. EVERY freaking team in college does it.
Wasnt Morgan State where Marvin "the Human Eraser" Webster played? If my memory serves me correctly. And Cal has to play these cupcakes to keep his winning percentage over .500%

Anything else you folks want to complain about? I guess UK had too good of a showing on Tues in their loss or the bad games from Reeves/Wagner/Edwards threads went stale. Who knows, but there’s no problem with using November to play some easy games to get our typically new roster some real-game experience and experiment with things, while (hopefully) picking up some easy wins.

Ever heard of Queens University, Eastern IL St, North Carolina Central, Eastern Oregon, Morgan St, Charleston Southern?

Those are all teams Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Arizona, UNC play this season. EVERY freaking team in college does it.
Yep. And our cupcakes are actually a little better than the past couple of years. Stonehill and TAMC are the two worst teams we will see. The rest are in the 100s I believe, where quality of competition vastly improves.

Stonehill will be no challenge of course, but folks act like MSU didn't just lose to freaking JMU at home. OkSt. lost to a 4-5 UCF in football. Cupcakes are changing. You better come to play.

Reactions: JFCats22
Yep. And our cupcakes are actually a little better than the past couple of years. Stonehill and TAMC are the two worst teams we will see. The rest are in the 100s I believe, where quality of competition vastly improves.

Stonehill will be no challenge of course, but folks act like MSU didn't just lose to freaking JMU at home. OkSt. lost to a 4-5 UCF in football. Cupcakes are changing. You better come to play.

Yep, Penn, UNCW, St. Joes and Penn are all in the 100-150 range. Which to me, is perfect. Schedule a few Stonehill types, then schedule some of these 150ish teams that will test us a bit, but shouldn't realistically have much of a chance to win, and then our few marquee games. This is exactly what this board wanted in recent years. We got it, and now it's not good enough.

This. Play some decent mid majors or even bad power 5 teams. It's just not much fun to see us blow out the school of the blind teams. I think you can gauge where you are more by playing teams with a pulse. Just my 2 cents
You say that like were aren't playing Marshall next week (a mid major), Penn (a mid major), UNCW (a midmajor), St. Joe's (a midmajor), and Miami (P5), we then move into UNC and Ill St (a mid major). After this game Friday, we are playing heard of teams. The 5 of our next 6 are against mid-majors or P5s. The schedule this year is MUCH better than it has been. And that's a fact. I know that Miami game is a let down because it isn't Duke and it's not a sexy matchup. But that game will be challenging.

Yep, Penn, UNCW, St. Joes and Penn are all in the 100-150 range. Which to me, is perfect. Schedule a few Stonehill types, then schedule some of these 150ish teams that will test us a bit, but shouldn't realistically have much of a chance to win, and then our few marquee games. This is exactly what this board wanted in recent years. We got it, and now it's not good enough.
Moving goalposts. Look, I've given Cal as much deserved crap as anyone, and there's still reason to gripe at him and doubt him, but the schedule is vastly improved this year. It's just not even remotely debatable within any sense of reality.

UK would benefit by playing some 100 to 150 type mid major over these teams. These teams provide no test.
We are literally about to do just that after Friday. I assume this game got scheduled knowing it would be after KU, and a potential war (which it was) so we scheduled an easier game to either bounce back from or not have to turn right round into heavy game prep after a road trip.

That's probably my only small gripe with it. Try and aim for teams in the 199 to 100 range. I just think that's not always easy to do. You could think we're scheduling the 175th team for next year, then they get decimated by transfers between now and then, and they drop to the 300s.

But either way, the SEC is going to give us plenty of tests, Throwing a few Stonehills into the mix isn't going to hurt us.
I agree. I just think some midrange competition would help us develop some team skills that we very much need that will be helpful in the SEC.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
We are literally about to do just that after Friday. I assume this game got scheduled knowing it would be after KU, and a potential war (which it was) so we scheduled an easier game to either bounce back from or not have to turn right round into heavy game prep after a road trip.
Looking from that perspective. Yeah, probably not a bad idea. That was a huge contest and we left the tank completely empty.

Some of them cupcakes have been known to be poison...

AKgMVMz.png

Helps fatten Cal's win total. Besides the Ws all look the same on paper.

Everyone plays teams like this. Does complaining about every little thing give some of you guys a boner? Cause I'll try it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT