ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue fan here

UL is a community college at best lol.

I can't speak about the rest of UL, but their engineering school, called Speed Scientific School, was well respected 50 years or so ago. But not anymore. I think they handed the athletic department a blank check and let the rest of the university go to hell under the Jurich administration.

Reactions: Kentucky31
I can't speak about the rest of UL, but their engineering school, called Speed Scientific School, was well respected 50 years or so ago. But not anymore. I think they handed the athletic department a blank check and let the rest of the university go to hell under the Jurich administration.

Lol. What part of Indy are you? I’m a northsider

I can't speak about the rest of UL, but their engineering school, called Speed Scientific School, was well respected 50 years or so ago...
Thank you for "correcting" your earlier post. I graduated from Speed in 1969 and will address just the engineering notes. We did not have US News and World Reports rankings back then but I was under the impression it was a pretty good engineering school that was well regarded by industry in large part to the "cooperative work program".

I was in the last class to graduate on Speed's historic 5 year, quarter based system. This approach added about 2/3 of a full academic year to the far more common 4 year, 8 semester program. The school flipped over to a semester based system in 1970, their initial year in the state system. IMO, the school overall was initially impaired by their designated role in the Kentucky higher education system until about the mid-90s.

Two of my HS buds went to Purdue and MIT respectively. Ever summer we got together and compared college notes. Ever year my Speed curriculum was ahead of their Purdue and MIT curriculums. I'm not saying it was better, only that the subject exposure level was higher due to quarters vs. semesters (and that also meant A LOT more homework as most textbooks were written on a semester basis :eek:).

FWIW, I don't think overall there is much difference at all in engineering schools. Your classmates may skew the grades a bit but Laplace transforms are Laplace transforms no matter where you go. [winking]

Peace

Reactions: dimeforepps
Thank you for "correcting" your earlier post. I graduated from Speed in 1969 and will address just the engineering notes. We did not have US News and World Reports rankings back then but I was under the impression it was a pretty good engineering school that was well regarded by industry in large part to the "cooperative work program".

I was in the last class to graduate on Speed's historic 5 year, quarter based system. This approach added about 2/3 of a full academic year to the far more common 4 year, 8 semester program. The school flipped over to a semester based system in 1970, their initial year in the state system. IMO, the school overall was initially impaired by their designated role in the Kentucky higher education system until about the mid-90s.

Two of my HS buds went to Purdue and MIT respectively. Ever summer we got together and compared college notes. Ever year my Speed curriculum was ahead of their Purdue and MIT curriculums. I'm not saying it was better, only that the subject exposure level was higher due to quarters vs. semesters (and that also meant A LOT more homework as most textbooks were written on a semester basis :eek:).

FWIW, I don't think overall there is much difference at all in engineering schools. Your classmates may skew the grades a bit but Laplace transforms are Laplace transforms no matter where you go. [winking]

Peace

I agree that the curriculum at all accredited engineering colleges is basically the same. I had a professor at UK who was a MIT ScD (Doctor of Science, apparently when he was at MIT, it was the doctorate they awarded). He told me that there was no difference in the curriculum, but MIT had a lot of bright students. He also said there we a lot of bright kids at UK, also. I know that UK is more selective now than they were in the 70s when I was a student.

I went to HS in Louisville (Ballard), and wanted to study engineering in college. We couldn't afford out of state or private, so Speed and UK were the only choices. I made my choice based on the fact that I didn't want to go to a commuter school, which UL was largely at the time, and I wanted more space between myself and my parents, as opposed to the reputation of the two universities/engineering schools. I have since, of course become loyal to my alma mater, but have observed current comparative rankings of many colleges, including engineering, favor UK. Of course, UL is still fully accredited, and a young person can get a good education at any Kentucky state university.

So what year did your wives get bored and leave you? (WildCard, you can go first).
She will have put up with it for 50 years come next month. A former HS cheerleader, she had an appreciation of sports long before women's sports became what they are today.

In the big picture, engineering converts science into something you use everyday but simply take for granted (e.g., electricity and anything that uses it, automobiles, flat screen television, clean water, bridges, iPhone whatever, airline travel, multi-story buildings, X-ray and MRI machines, satellite communications...the list goes on. [winking]

Peace

She will have put up with it for 50 years come next month. A former HS cheerleader, she had an appreciation of sports long before women's sports became what they are today.

In the big picture, engineering converts science into something you use everyday but simply take for granted (e.g., electricity and anything that uses it, automobiles, flat screen television, clean water, bridges, iPhone whatever, airline travel, multi-story buildings, X-ray and MRI machines, satellite communications...the list goes on. [winking]

Peace
(My engineering friend)
“Engineers build bridges, save lives designing medical devices, get us to the moon. When they make mistakes, people die!”

(Me) “Dude, you design printers”

Zipp is a complete moron. He definitely has let the whole Vince hiring get the best of him. I still think Purdue football will be bad. They have peaked. Them and Indiana deserve each other. Kentucky would own Purdue in football and beat em like a dog in Basketball. Oh and that Steelers guy is a big man baby too!

I always figured Zipp was a real little guy that just talked big.

That pretty much sums it up - UofL went as high as they could for Brohm and Purdue topped it. His new deal at Purdue is for $36.8M over 7 years, an average of $5.26M/yr. I was a big Brohm fan but you got to draw the line somewhere - especially when you are making multi million dollar buyout payments to the former AD and football coach.

Peace

Nah, the $14 million to BP and the $6M (?) to jurich is chicken feed compared to Slick Rick's bonanza, how much of the $45,000,000 do you think they end up paying? Remember he has plenty of money for lawyers.

Say, I read at one time that after jurich said that the $100,000,000 shoe deal money was for the players most of it ended up with Slick Rick, (minus kickbacks of course), any truth to that rumor? Sounds a bit far fetched, surely even jurich had his limits. We do know one of the recruits got $100,000 of it, did he get to keep it?..

Reactions: Pickle_Rick
Thanks for the kind words!
I hate UL too.
I think Auburn just scored again.

Nah, the $14 million to BP and the $6M (?) to jurich is chicken feed compared to Slick Rick's bonanza, how much of the $45,000,000 do you think they end up paying? Remember he has plenty of money for lawyers.

Say, I read at one time that after jurich said that the $100,000,000 shoe deal money was for the players most of it ended up with Slick Rick, (minus kickbacks of course), any truth to that rumor? Sounds a bit far fetched, surely even jurich had his limits. We do know one of the recruits got $100,000 of it, did he get to keep it?..
I think ex-CRP is going to get something but nowhere near $45M. If it should turn out that way it is a horrible reflection on the former interim president (no longer with the school) and the now no longer head of the BoT. IMO, a much better strategy would have been to have let him coach that last year with a buyout negotiation going on. There were things that would dramatically "weaken" ex-CRP's position.

Your second paragraph must be an attempt at sarcastic humor as there is no truth to it.

Peace

I think ex-CRP is going to get something but nowhere near $45M. If it should turn out that way it is a horrible reflection on the former interim president (no longer with the school) and the now no longer head of the BoT. IMO, a much better strategy would have been to have let him coach that last year with a buyout negotiation going on. There were things that would dramatically "weaken" ex-CRP's position.

Your second paragraph must be an attempt at sarcastic humor as there is no truth to it.

Peace

Since they had already let him stay on as coach through several well publicized scandals BECAUSE HE WAS WINNING then yeah, maybe they should have kept him for another year But then hard to say what kind of trouble he could have got in with another year too.

Most of the things that went on at Transfer U were a terrible reflection on jurich, IMO, but then the "just win" crowd loved him. And apparently that included most of the fan base. Hiring hurtt and having to stand behind him was MAYBE his biggest sin, but then there were too many to count. I think he gets a lot of the credit for bringing the #1 football recruit in the nation in, now wasting the taxpayer's dollar serving a life time sentence as a habitual criminal. I still wonder if jurich is keeping his word and keeping him supplied with lobster tails.

And no, my second paragraph was a serious question, I did read that in the paper but can't remember the source and did find it a bit unbelievable-------but then jurich and Slick Rick were both involved so nothing could be completely unbelievable with jurich there.

What did you think of the $22,500,000 contract BP got when no one else was trying to hire him, or the $500,000 bonus for the TOP TEN IN THE NATION APR (normal bonus $50,000 for minimum APR) compiled by a bunch of players with a lot of them kicked out of legit Universities AND many others that had to go the JC route because they couldn't qualify out of high school? Didn't he tarnish your degree a little bit? I know the "Speed" engineering program was highly regarded back in your day, but I think I read something derogatory about it the other day, I wish I could remember what happened yesterday.

As I said, NOTHING was unbelievable there when jurich was running the show. and he got his son and THREE of BP's relatives on the payroll. Nepotism at its finest. I wonder if BP's two son in laws are getting divorces now, probably got nice buyouts though, and it will be telling where his son gets a job as a QB coach now. It might be in his genes.

Picked on you enough for now, sometimes I wonder if SOME of the fans deserve what they got. Ended up in a power conference with a network starting soon, so I would say yes, look at what the SEC $40,000,000 a year plus has done for mitch now.

Last edited:
Louisville would probably beat Purdue in Football this year. Satterfield > BROham. Purdue got played big time.

Louisville would probably beat Purdue in Football this year. Satterfield > BROham. Purdue got played big time.
Satterfield may or may not be a better coach than Brohm. Regardless, this year's Purdue team stomps Louisville into a mudhole. Louisville will be lucky win 4 games; they'll be lucky to win any ACC games; and they couid feasibly end up 1-11.

Huh? U6 is going to be as bad this year as they were last year. I don't now much about Purdue, but I don't think they are predicted to be "terrible".

Wow. I doubt the most optimistic Card fan would agree.

Purdue beat Ohio State last year. U of L set the P5 record for the number of games surrendering 50 points or more points.

Brohm might not be worth the money he got, but he has a three year head start on rebuilding a program.

I work with great engineers. I also work with some who truly believe they hung the moon. The great ones are the humble ones

My brother in-law went to Purdue and his mom and dad are Purdue fans. So My wife and I went to a see the Purdue/Iowa game last year. I enjoyed that game and they have a pretty nice campus up there.
Plus I think it’s HILARIOUS that Brohm turned them down and stayed at Purdue.

Reactions: EndzoneCat
I work with great engineers. I also work with some who truly believe they hung the moon. The great ones are the humble ones
For the record, the moon was already hung when some great engineers put some men on it. Of course it took them some 66 years from the time a man first made a powered flight. [winking]

FWIW, it is really pretty hard to determine when "engineering" evolved from "inventing". By that I mean having a specific academic background. Unlike medicine, law, accounting and some other professions, the engineering profession never really "connected" the word "engineer" to a specific academic requirement.

Peace

Reactions: RogerIndy
For the record, the moon was already hung when some great engineers put some men on it. Of course it took them some 66 years from the time a man first made a powered flight. [winking]

FWIW, it is really pretty hard to determine when "engineering" evolved from "inventing". By that I mean having a specific academic background. Unlike medicine, law, accounting and some other professions, the engineering profession never really "connected" the word "engineer" to a specific academic requirement.

Peace
One of the brightest engineers I’ve ever met didn’t go to college.

A couple of things:

1. Sorry to hear about Lorenzen. Always enjoyed watching him play and its sad we lost him so young.

2. Best of luck this year. After Brohm spurned UL, their fans have been obnoxious toward Purdue so as far as that rivalry, give me UK any day of the week.

Thanks for the note re: the Lefty.

Believe JB is a heck of a coach and I am glad he is not at UL....which by default makes me a PU fan of late I suppose.

Overpaid/underpaid is a determination that is made over time. If, as I believe may happen, PU strings together a few 8+ win seasons, it will appear to be a stroke of genius on their part. After a few seasons of winning FB, the only question will be can they keep Brohm if a blueblood or near-blueblood job comes calling, and the answer is "no way." Regardless, if he departs PU in 3-4 years leaving a handful of winning seasons and fair talent for the next HC....you're playing a winning hand.

Good luck and GBB!

OBTW--I am living in Columbus for the short term, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth after PU's 29 point beat down was a glorious experience to behold. Keep charging!

NASA and many of it's subcontractors largely made a living off of bright high school graduates who made engineers, in practice. I've met a few of them, through family and friends, who landed jobs in the late 50's during the massive space push.

I now have realized that we went to the moon and back, largely on slightly advanced WWII technology.

Peace
Congrats WC on the committment!

I guess that was my point - he could be called an engineer but could not be called a doctor, lawyer, accountant, teacher, et. al. Just a peculiarity of the profession.

Peace

And thanks Soupbean! She's a keeper! :D

7xbxdgtf5s4z.jpg

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz

50 years ago when I was at UK's Engineering school, Louisville had a three year speed school that gave their students a master's degree in engineering. Working for Corps of Engineers Los Angeles District, I happened to work a certain Louisville Civil Engineer, Who could not survey, he had not designed a single structure, he had no idea about anything engineering, and he had a masters degree!
That was a graduate with a master's degree out of Loservile University.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:[roll]

Reactions: RogerIndy
How did this thread get hi-jacked into an engineering tell-all, when it should have focused on . . . . Purdue?

NASA and many of it's subcontractors largely made a living off of bright high school graduates who made engineers, in practice. I've met a few of them, through family and friends, who landed jobs in the late 50's during the massive space push.

I now have realized that we went to the moon and back, largely on slightly advanced WWII technology.
Whoa there Daddycat let's not get too carried away! While not to be compared to what is in existence today, the IBM computers of the 60's bulky as they were, were still far beyond Alan Turing's original mechanical computer. The disc drive was available by 1962, programming language had been developed, thin-film memory was available for high end industry etc etc etc I think you may be dismissing so great building blocks of the computer industry that were developed in the 20 years after WWII that were massive steps forward in their day. Heck man even the transistor was developed after WWII. Don't sell our fathers too short!

50 years ago when I was at UK's Engineering school, Louisville had a three year speed school that gave their students a master's degree in engineering. Working for Corps of Engineers Los Angeles District, I happened to work a certain Louisville Civil Engineer, Who could not survey, he had not designed a single structure, he had no idea about anything engineering, and he had a masters degree!
That was a graduate with a master's degree out of Loservile University.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:[roll]
Not the point of this thread but you are sooooo wrong it requires correction

I graduated from from Speed in 1969...50 years ago; the last year it was a mandatory 5 year degree program. At that time, after your sophomore year, year round school or co-operative work was mandatory over the next 3 years. When UofL joined the state system the following year they changed the degree requirements offering a 4 year regular engineering degree or a 5 year option which was then awarded a separate Master of Engineering. Prior graduates under the historic 5 year plan were offered a Master of Engineering Degree upon submission of career working experiences.

As briefly discussed in an earlier thread the term "Engineer" has never been "protected" in the workplace.

I suspect your friend was quite knowledgable from an experience and association standpoint in some areas and was simply the beneficiary of a loosely enforced workplace term. I knew janitors that changed office lights and jokingly called themselves "Illumination Engineers". :cool:

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT