ADVERTISEMENT

Prayers for my wife request

I know most of you dont particularly care for me and thats fine because this goes way beyond our mutual disdain for one another.

My wife of 32 yrs is basically a chain smoker and has been for about 15-20 yrs.

Im talking a pack a day, fortunately Marlboro select which is lighter than the Cowboy killers but still.

I have prayed and prayed til Im, well …Blue in the face and for years and nothing helps.

Im asking you guys who I dont even know to please pray for my wife, she is 54 yrs old and she is a Christian but she is literally killing herself and Im losing hope.

Thank you to those who have enough of a heart to give a rats ass and lift up in prayer to Jesus Christ for my wife.

Thank you and God Bless.
Cigarettes killed my Mom from her getting lung cancer and suffered for about 4-5 months before if finally got her.
I pray to the Father thru Jesus that she will quit those killers before it is too late, and a healing to her lungs for the damage already caused. Those cigs are poison and cause cancer. Amen

Last edited:
I know most of you dont particularly care for me and thats fine because this goes way beyond our mutual disdain for one another.

Im talking a pack a day, fortunately Marlboro select which is lighter than the Cowboy killers but still.

I have prayed and prayed til Im, well …Blue in the face and for years and nothing helps.

Im asking you guys who I dont even know to please pray for my wife, she is 54 yrs old and she is a Christian but she is literally killing herself and Im losing hope.

Thank you to those who have enough of a heart to give a rats ass and lift up in prayer to Jesus Christ for my wife.

Thank you and God Bless.
Praying for her desire for nicotine to go away and the willpower to stop.
I like your posts.

Well, if you have time for another long one...... here goes.
When was days from heading to college ... WKU in 1965 my Dad gave me ten minute going away lecture.
"Have a beer or a shot but please don't smoke" .... said "I'd give $1,000 if someone could make me quit"
and he probably never made more than $10 an hour. A three pack a day smoker, he had a triple bypass at
60 years old and had a smoke on the way to surgery. Spent a couple of days in ICU and when he got a room
had my Mom light one for him, took a deep draw and coughed like crazy. You really could smoke in the
hospital back in the day. Anyway, after the pain caused by coughing that hard a couple of days after having his chest opened up he said ........ "Anything that makes me hurt that bad I'm not doing again".
He never smoked again.
Moral of the story ..... my take. You can't quit because you know you should but if you REALLY want to
you can ...... or at least have chance.
When I got that quick lecture I had been smoking a while, maybe since abut 14-15 and continued until
about 27. My ex and I quit when she was pregnant with my 2nd.
One of the best things I ever did. HOPE YOUR WIFE CAN KICK IT TO!!!!!!!

Sent up!

I hate to bring it up but how about some harm mitigation? Vaping, gum patches...whatever works to get the monkey dealt with while getting the carcinogenic elements minimized seems better than the nails despite their own downsides.

Once you can isolate the nicotine then you can start drawing it down, I suspect there is also more than just the nicotine that is at least habit forming if not outright addictive in most cigarette brands too which plays more part than subtle flavor distinctions to generate the fierce brand loyalty you often see.

Thank you and God Bless.
Prayers for her HH. As a pack+ a day smoker I understand her battle. Have her try all kinds different methods to slow down or stop. Patches, gum, even prescriptions designed to curb cravings. Sometimes they work. Also lights are just as bad as Reds or anything else as far as effects on health. Non filters are about the only thing that’s actually worse. BTW I like you fine and have no disdain for you at all. Love your optimism.

Last edited:
Please take her to a smoking cessation treatment program, most hospitals have these now. I was a hardcore smoker until I had Chantix and tobacco cessation support. That was 8 years ago and I haven’t had a puff since
Same here. I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years, then my doctor prescribed Chantix and it changed my life. I one month, ONE MONTH, I quit smoking and haven't wanted one since. That was almost four years ago.

Most certainly Mr. Heroes.

Both my parents smoked heavily. I NEVER thought they would EVER quit. Later in life my mother developed COPD and almost died in the hospital. She pulled through and quit smoking after she got out. I was astonished. Then, my father quit some time afterwards, transitioning to chewing on swisher-sweets. By God's grace, she was able to enjoy precious years with my father after he retired and time with her grand-kids.

Moral of the story, never stop praying and don't give up trust in I AM.

Long story and won’t go into all the details but I was convinced it was the nicotine that was preventing me from being able to stop chewing. I had dipped for 20 years and was up to 2 cans per day. I trialed a high dose of Nicorette gum and got a little buzzed from it. I had always heard and believed that dip had the highest concentration of nicotine in it and it absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the skin… because I got a little buzzed on what should’ve been a lower dose of nicotine than my dip, it hit me like a ton of bricks that I was the one holding me back and it was simply the habit I enjoyed. I stopped immediately and haven’t dipped since 2005. My point is that she’ll need to move off center mentally to be successful. Had I not chewed the gum that day, I would have continued to make excuses for why I couldn’t quit. God bless you guys and I pray she can find the strength to overcome her habit.

I have been a heavy Dipper and been a heavy drinker “beer” for the last 9 years since I got out of the military. This past Week I got COVID and became very sick. While I was sitting in quarantine on Tuesday I did some soul searching. My doctor called me in Vivitrol in the pill form. With a little bit of that and a whole lot of Jesus Im 4 days clean of alcohol and nicotine. I guess my point is help is out there and I pray she never buys another pack.
Praying for you us-infantry and Im proud of you too for stopping.

I used to smoke weed yrs ago and did so for a solid 5 yrs from about 18-23 yrs of age. A bong, 3 hits 3 times a day then I gave my life to Christ and though I have dabbled back into Mary J from time to time I have never been the same. Both my sons smoke it and they both drink alcohol too. Please pray for my 2 twenty somethings as they are in deep.

I pray for them constantly because I know life is better free from addiction. It wars against your body, mind and spirit it wears you down and eats up your money.

Keep up the good fight sir, in Jesus name!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BBUK and Sawnee Cat
Please take her to a smoking cessation treatment program, most hospitals have these now. I was a hardcore smoker until I had Chantix and tobacco cessation support. That was 8 years ago and I haven’t had a puff since
Thanks for the advice BBNin SC and I will try!
Congrats on your victory over smoking!
Proud of you!

Reactions: BBUK
Herro, first off I do like you and your very enthusiastic and optimistic posts no matter what anyone else might tell you. Yes, sometimes you might come off a little too optimistic but I can't fault that. You are one poster I will always read when you start a thread.

Second, I have always hated smoking and what it does to people (never a smoker myself so can't relate to the addiction). I am a Christian and certainly will pray for your wife and yourself. Hoping for the best for you all, my friend.
Thank you Orcat, I feel the same about you. You have been kind to me thru the yrs and I appreciate that.

Reactions: BBUK and ORCAT
Prayers. My mother is sitting in a hospital right now, can’t breathe. COPD, and it’s very bad. She can’t breathe. She is having severe panic attacks because she literally can’t take a breath and thinks she’s dying every half hour. It’s terrible. I’m praying for you, and your wife.
BWO74, Im sorry to hear this about your Mother and Im lifting her and you up in prayers right now. You have always been a fair poster to me and I appreciate that. We have had our run ins from time to time but for the most part we have gotten along.
God Bless You and Your Mother.
Praying.

Thank you and God Bless.

Praying brother! Maybe the Lord is waiting on you to give your life to him first!

I smoked 1 1/2 - 2 packs a day for about 23 years. I quit 15 years ago. Your wife can quit, don’t give up on her, keep praying. I will pray for her too.
Thx Cat tat. Im proud of you for stopping and thank you for your prayers.

Praying brother! Maybe the Lord is waiting on you to give your life to him first!
Im a Christian and have been since 1990.
My life changed that yr as I was saved, Baptised, married and the Reds went wire to wire and won the WS.

Im a sinner saved by grace but thank you for your concerns for my soul as I am becoming more and more concerned with other peoples souls as well because eternity lies in the balance. An eternity of hell fire or tranquility. God Bless.

Prayers to your family…..let me follow up with a heartwarming story at least. I hope you can make a proposition like I did to make a change.

Growing up I was blessed as an athlete, very fast and athletic. However, at the age of thirteen, I was small 5’2” and 125 pounds. I played soccer for the best team in the state of Kentucky in our age group. We traveled the USA every weekend playing the best teams in America. We fortunately were invited to play in one of the most prestigious soccer tournaments in the country in 1994.

My father and mother both smoked for over (20) years at the time of this tournament coming up. Sitting at the dinner table being forced to finish my broccoli and milk I had an epiphany. I reached my hand out and made a bet with my mom and dad. “If we win this soccer tournament, you guys will stop smoking ok?” My father looks at my mother, a few seconds later they agree….DEAL.

Why did they agree? No way we could beat the best of the best. Well, six games later we win the whole ****ing thing. The best part. All the parents took out their Polaroid & Kodak cameras taking photos of my parents walking to the trash can to dispose of their pack of cigarettes.

Never again did they smoke another cigarette!!!
That is awesome. Congrats on winning the tournament but even more congrats on your parents kicking the habit! God Bless!
I will try to think of something similar to bet her to stop!

Prayers for your family , my wife of 33 years has lupus, I know how you are feeling, nothing makes you feel humbled and powerless like a sick wife Hang in there!!
Art, sorry about your wife having lupus. I’m praying for you both now in Jesus’ name.

Herros Heroes... You are one of my personal favorite posters. Love the constant optimism, and a pumper like myself can certainly appreciate it.

All the best to your wife and your situation. Never too late for your wife to make a change! I will follow suit with your own constant optimism and hope with you for the best possible outcome!!
TY FPZ for the compliments! God Bless you my friend.

Most certainly Mr. Heroes.

Both my parents smoked heavily. I NEVER thought they would EVER quit. Later in life my mother developed COPD and almost died in the hospital. She pulled through and quit smoking after she got out. I was astonished. Then, my father quit some time afterwards, transitioning to chewing on swisher-sweets. By God's grace, she was able to enjoy precious years with my father after he retired and time with her grand-kids.

Moral of the story, never stop praying and don't give up trust in I AM.
Nothing But Net that is so wonderful to hear and you are sooooo right about God’s grace as none of us are worthy of it except our Lord and Savior and God’s only son Jesus!

Cigarettes killed my Mom from her getting lung cancer and suffered for about 4-5 months before if finally got her.
I pray to the Father thru Jesus that she will quit those killers before it is too late, and a healing to her lungs for the damage already caused. Those cigs are poison and cause cancer. men
Colonel, Im sorry about your Mother and her suffering. Thank you for your prayers for my sweet lady. Im praying for comfort for you in Jesus name.

Well, if you have time for another long one...... here goes.
When was days from heading to college ... WKU in 1965 my Dad gave me ten minute going away lecture.
"Have a beer or a shot but please don't smoke" .... said "I'd give $1,000 if someone could make me quit"
and he probably never made more than $10 an hour. A three pack a day smoker, he had a triple bypass at
60 years old and had a smoke on the way to surgery. Spent a couple of days in ICU and when he got a room
had my Mom light one for him, took a deep draw and coughed like crazy. You really could smoke in the
hospital back in the day. Anyway, after the pain caused by coughing that hard a couple of days after having his chest opened up he said ........ "Anything that makes me hurt that bad I'm not doing again".
He never smoked again.
Moral of the story ..... my take. You can't quit because you know you should but if you REALLY want to
you can ...... or at least have chance.
When I got that quick lecture I had been smoking a while, maybe since abut 14-15 and continued until
about 27. My ex and I quit when she was pregnant with my 2nd.
One of the best things I ever did. HOPE YOUR WIFE CAN KICK IT TO!!!!!!!
Ssorg, congrats on you and your wife stopping smoking! Sorry your Dad went thru all that.

Sent up!
I hate to bring it up but how about some harm mitigation? Vaping, gum patches...whatever works to get the monkey dealt with while getting the carcinogenic elements minimized seems better than the nails despite their own downsides.

Once you can isolate the nicotine then you can start drawing it down, I suspect there is also more than just the nicotine that is at least habit forming if not outright addictive in most cigarette brands too which plays more part than subtle flavor distinctions to generate the fierce brand loyalty you often see.
She has tried both but I will mention them again. Man its a vicious battle. Thank you for your prayers!

Prayers for her HH. As a pack+ a day smoker I understand her battle. Have her try all kinds different methods to slow down or stop. Patches, gum, even prescriptions designed to curb cravings. Sometimes they work. Also lights are just as bad as Reds or anything else as far as effects on health. Non filters are about the only thing that’s actually worse. BTW I like you fine and have disdain for you at all. Love your optimism.
Thanks Fox you are one of my favs as well. Im praying for you to beat the habit right now!

Long story and won’t go into all the details but I was convinced it was the nicotine that was preventing me from being able to stop chewing. I had dipped for 20 years and was up to 2 cans per day. I trialed a high dose of Nicorette gum and got a little buzzed from it. I had always heard and believed that dip had the highest concentration of nicotine in it and it absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the skin… because I got a little buzzed on what should’ve been a lower dose of nicotine than my dip, it hit me like a ton of bricks that I was the one holding me back and it was simply the habit I enjoyed. I stopped immediately and haven’t dipped since 2005. My point is that she’ll need to move off center mentally to be successful. Had I not chewed the gum that day, I would have continued to make excuses for why I couldn’t quit. God bless you guys and I pray she can find the strength to overcome her habit.
North Carolina BC,

Thats awesome and Im proud of you for stopping. She told me just now that maybe she will try the gum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT