ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game show

Not when you are a fan of the program and not their boss. Your point would hold water if Matt was Pope's boss. He isn't. His job is to discuss UK sports among other things. There is nothing wrong with what he said or did. Going from Drew or Hurley to Pope was a bit of a let down at the time. The criticism was also directed more at Mitch than it was Pope. He also criticized the board for not allowing Mitch to interview many of the other candidates. It was an out of the blue unexpected hire that left plenty scratching their heads. It took a little time for people to buy in and there is nothing wrong with that.

This.

Everyone gets a pass for that Thursday night. A lot of us were in a drunken fit of rage towards barney (me for sure).

Om the thread, don't listen OP. I don't and I'm just fine with watching just the actual games.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
He also….checks notes….criticized the mark pope hire, calling it a poor decision before the man coached a game or recruited a player.

Was he alone in that reaction as if it were unique? I would say 98 percent of BBN, myself included, had that initial reaction to the Pope hire. But, within 48 hours, most tunes had changed.

I still don’t see how this attempted gotcha on your part has anything to do with Cal “blackballing” KSR, which is what I was responding to.

Reactions: ukfan041 and KFuqua
Oh, didn't hurt my feelings at all, I have em on standby for posters like you that make zero sense. See?

Rent free

You didn't hurt any feelings. Just made yourself look stupid and the entire board is laughing at you.

Oh, didn't hurt my feelings at all, I have em on standby for posters like you that make zero sense. See?

200w.gif
Rent free Bro

I hope it’s because Jones is too hyperbolic. Just to put a super ironic cherry on top.

Yep, and the way Pope recognized him and the applause he got at Pope's introduction at Rupp probably means MJ is going to be in tight with the basketball program now. He's a big fan that's making a living like 99% of us other Kentucky fans would like to be doing.
You are so right.

Reactions: KFuqua
Im ok with Matt. It is only a matter of time till he gets on the wrong side of the staff. He always does.
Huh? He's cancerous, but now you're okay with him? FTR...Cal is basically the only staff Matt has been around for. And Matt has said plenty of times, Cal helped (in a huge way) build Matt's business. If "always" is pissing Cal off for honestly evaluating whatever 9-16 was and then the ensuing downslide, then I guess he "always" does get on the wrong side of the staff. But he's only been on the wrong side of one staff. And that staff didn't have many on their side when they tucked their tails and headed for the Ozarks and pigs.

Reactions: ukfan041
there is nothing wrong with criticizing someone before you give them a chance to do 1 day on the job? I hope you are not in a manager/supervisor role because if so you suck at your job.
He didn't criticize Mark Pope. He criticized the hire. How can you not differentiate? There's still a really good chance this WAS, in fact, a bad hire. Mark Pope, had he never played at UK, would've never been considered for this job. It could also turn out to be a really good hire. But, make no mistake, if "UK National Champ" weren't on his resume he'd have been laughed out of the room.

He didn't criticize Mark Pope. He criticized the hire. How can you not differentiate? There's still a really good chance this WAS, in fact, a bad hire. Mark Pope, had he never played at UK, would've never been considered for this job. It could also turn out to be a really good hire. But, make no mistake, if "UK National Champ" weren't on his resume he'd have been laughed out of the room.
I’m not criticizing you as a poster, I’m criticizing the mods for not banning you and allowing you to post.

I’m glad to have KSR post-games and actually wish they’d replace the timeslot for the official UK one, because it’s straight 💩. At minimum, with KSR you’ll actually get a pulse that relates to how the game went, instead of the same boring stat recaps and rehearsed questions.

Thats what makes Pope understand the BBN. He was a part of it in 95-96 and never left. He was not born into it, he earned it so to think he will fail is foolish. He knew he had caught lightning in a bottle when Barnhart called. He also knows what the BBN wants in a coach, expectations be damned. He could have played it safe but he didnt.

• Love
Reactions: ukfan041 and KFuqua
Billy Gillispie, now that was a cancer to the program. I'm no Matt Jones fan, but I wouldn't go anywhere close to calling him a cancer. That's quite overboard. You're free to your own thought, though.

Reactions: JDHoss
This.

Everyone gets a pass for that Thursday night. A lot of us were in a drunken fit of rage towards barney (me for sure).

Om the thread, don't listen OP. I don't and I'm just fine with watching just the actual games.
Agree on the pass, except for those who are still going negative every time we sign a transfer.

Thats what makes Pope understand the BBN. He was a part of it in 95-96 and never left. He was not born into it, he earned it so to think he will fail is foolish. He knew he had caught lightning in a bottle when Barnhart called. He also knows what the BBN wants in a coach, expectations be damned. He could have played it safe but he didnt.
I don’t disagree, in fact I agree about the understanding it part. That, in and of itself, doesn’t mean he won’t “fail”. And what is failing? Last 3 yrs of Cal? Or BCG type records? Last few yrs of OTS? I think there’s a solid chance those are the types of years Pope produces. That’s basically been his track record. Or, with UK resources, good players, and a system that works he could take off. For obvious reasons we all hope this works. But to say someone is foolish for thinking it won’t is a little silly.

The only thing I like about the UK postgame is the coach interview. The KSR postgame is usually so much more interesting, especially for football games.

And a cancer to the fan base? That’s just a silly statement.

Reactions: JDHoss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT