ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Game Commentary: Cats vs. Cincy (Round of 32)

rbs

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
* Cats move on to the Sweet 16 by beating Cincy 64-51, a 13pt win a physical game where offense was lacking. Cats haven't played anywhere near their best yet. Cats also become the first team in NCAA history to become 36-0. Very impressive achievement. Might also add, the BBN were incredible in the YUM.

* Cats shoot 37%, get out-rebounded 45-38, and go 4-15 from 3pt line ... but only have 7 turnovers. Cincy packed their zone in daring the Cats to beat them from the outside. Cincy burned the shot clock down to shorten the game and then shot in hopes of getting offensive rebounds, and that worked to some degree ... and the Cats still win by 13. Cats make a couple more 3's and its a much easier game and a 20pt win.

* Ulis ran the show well today. He is a tough, gritty, smart, basketball player ... and he made some shots. The fact that he is playing with such big teammates no doubt helps his cause as well. Andrew did a decent job as well. He is at is best driving to the rim, as long as he takes it strong with intent of making the shot and not just trying to get fouled. We are getting really good PG play.

* Aaron made some 3's which were huge. Booker seems completely psyched out, lost his confidence .. he has to get over it. Both he and Aaron have got to play loose, start hunting shots rather than hesitating to shoot. IMO, from here out the Cats need 6 to 8 made 3's a game to keep winning. We aren't going to be playing anymore bricklayers like Cinn. moving forward. We need these two to play well to win #9.

* Lyles was ready for prime time today. He was ready for the big stage. The dunk he made in the 1st half was impressive. Very smart, skilled, basketball player ... showed some toughness today. Better athlete than I expected coming into UK.

* Willie and Karl, had some foul trouble today, but the combo is arguably the best two bigs combo in the nation. The dunk by Willie was huge, sparked us to a 7pt 1st half lead. Defensively, they are really good.

* Interesting that Cal tightened up the rotation so much today. I will keep commentary to myself on that, but suffice it say that while Willie and Karl are elite players, we need Dakari and Marcus to contribute in the tournament and they are very capable of delivering.

* Cats up 19 with 1:30 to go in the game and then just shut it down allowing the Bearcats to finish the game on a 8-2 run. Can only imagine the angst that created for all of those with $$$ on the game and the spread at around 16 points.

* Up Next: The Cats and their fans travel to Cleveland, Ohio to take on the winner of West Virginia vs. Maryland. I assume the game will be on Thursday. Regardless of who the Cats play, it will be a war of a game. There are no easy games left at this point. I hope the BBN finds its way into the Quicken Loan Arena and Cats further elevate their play to get the W.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.