ADVERTISEMENT

Porter Jr.'s 5 star brother reclassifying to 2017

JFCats22

All-American
Feb 3, 2015
and committing to Mizzou according to people here in STL.

Not as good as his big brother but a really good player.

If they somehow land Knox and/or Tilmon as well....wow, they would instantly become SEC favorites with UK

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL

If they somehow land Knox and/or Tilmon as well....wow, they would instantly become SEC favorites with UK

That team would still finish fourth or fifth in the SEC. UK fans are the last people that should have to be reminded that a bunch of highly-touted freshman thrown onto the floor do not a winning team make. Even if every one of those pieces fell into place, I see a poorly-coached team full of me-first players with a lot of chemistry issues and no depth that's just one humiliating blowout away from losing every ounce of its mojo.

As Tom Izzo who is leagues better a coach the Cuonzo Martin found out last year it's REALLY REALLY hard to coach a freshman dominated team. In additional Porter Jr. is going to be like Tatum on steroids and take way too many shots and play hero ball all season long trying to lock up being the #1 pick. I bet they make the NCAA tournament but they won't threaten to win the league.

martin got to be the luckiest SOB coach in ages. Average teams at Cal yet is winning the lotto now and one might say initially undeserving.
And dont think Tilmon is quite ready to make an impact, few years away from it.

Last edited:

No. Cal isn't coaching them. It's been proven, even good coaches & young talent is not the same as with Cal. And Martin is not even a proven "good coach" yet.

If they go to the NIT, Porter will probably opt to sit out Ben Simmons style. Not that I would blame him.

They still have Cuonzo Martin on the bench. They're going all in on this first season. I guess they're hoping to make such an impact that they can start drawing elite players without hiring their dad as an assistant coach.

Hiring 5 Stars players dad isn't recruiting that is buying players!!

When Martin was at Cal he got J.Brown and Rabb...both 5stars...and Cal sucked

When Martin was at Cal he got J.Brown and Rabb...both 5stars...and Cal sucked
They ended up a four seed, which is somewhere between 13-16 nationally in a much better conference with Brown and Rabb. They had injuries mainly to Wallace and lost in the first round but to say they sucked is wrong, they ended the season in the top 25.
Also , Martin took UT to the sweet sixteen his last year there, 2014, something Barnes hasn't come close to duplicating. Martin is a good coach .

Reactions: lwbb
Is he a wing and if do wonder how that affects Knoz's decision
No, more of a perimeter-oriented center. Think Karl Towns when he was 17 or so, before he got into great shape. Shorter than Towns, though, without the great wingspan. Still, very skilled kid with a big body.

Jontay Porter is playing this weekend in the Nike EYBL event (little weird if he's going to reclassify, but whatever), and he's been one of the best players there the first 2 days. 59 points, 37 rebounds, 11 assists, 9 blocks in 3 games. And most impressively, 20/28 from the field and 9/14 from 3.

If Missouri can get any kind of guard play, they're a very dangerous team. People can be dismissive because of what happened the last 2 years with Simmons and Fultz, and because Cuonzo Martin has never done anything to write home about, but I don't think this situation will be the same.

Reactions: DanHalen88
No, more of a perimeter-oriented center. Think Karl Towns when he was 17 or so, before he got into great shape. Shorter than Towns, though, without the great wingspan. Still, very skilled kid with a big body.

Jontay Porter is playing this weekend in the Nike EYBL event (little weird if he's going to reclassify, but whatever), and he's been one of the best players there the first 2 days. 59 points, 37 rebounds, 11 assists, 9 blocks in 3 games. And most impressively, 20/28 from the field and 9/14 from 3.

If Missouri can get any kind of guard play, they're a very dangerous team. People can be dismissive because of what happened the last 2 years with Simmons and Fultz, and because Cuonzo Martin has never done anything to write home about, but I don't think this situation will be the same.
Martin is a good coach and can manage these kids....he is not a Johnny Jones

Not in one year. No way. He is going to have to have kids for multiple years before whatever his system is takes hold. Both Porters will be long gone by the time thats the case.

Martin is a good coach and can manage these kids....he is not a Johnny Jones
I agree he's not Johnny Jones, but the best season he's ever had was 26-9 at Missouri State. His Sweet 16 UT team finished 24-13, and got to play Mercer (who beat Duke) in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Jkwo
The last thing I think I saw on this was he hadn't decided for certain. Probably hinges a bit on what happens with Tillmon and Knox. Get those two and the frontcourt could be crowded. They'd also have to free up a scholarship.

Nope, they wouldnt. Martin isn't a good coach. He isnt bad, he just isn't good. Without elite coaches experienced with OAD's, gathering up more of them is probably a death nell. I think it will be team dysfunction, worthy of Johnny Jones. Personally, I hope Martin gathers up 5 head strong, me me me ball hogs. Watch what will happen when an AAU team has to play quality D1 teams.

05f7b22ce383948c7b2b90a07c91544f.jpg

Reactions: Jkwo
Cuanzo is like the handy man of coaching.

If you're roof is leaky, dryer is on the fritz, floor is creaking, toilet is acting up, and you don't want to pony up for totally renovating and getting all new stuff, Cuanzo is your guy. He'll come in and get things functioning, but then he's gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT