Jan 4, 2022
Some really good players have entered today
Terence Edwards jr-James Madison
Jordan Ivy James- UTSA
Zeke mayo- SDSU
Malik Mack- Harvard

Reactions: G-PIP
We have no openings for portal guys
If 2 guys leave, there's room for a transfer. I only bet for pride, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least 3 guys leave. So, room at least room for 1 portal guy. Maybe more.

A lot of the board assumes that the players are stupid and vain. That they won't stick around no matter what the evaluations they receive from pros about their draft chances. Yes, several of our chicks in the past fledged early and splatted on the concrete below the nest. But not all. Some stayed, matured, and flew happily away when it was time.

We have 2-3 walk on scholarships to give away
Yea. Plus the five spots he doesn’t even fill each year. Yeah maybe it’s two but those two could be guys who would do anything to play here. With you all the way YardCat. He talks about practicing against the best as a reason guys want to play here, but one injury and we have to play three on three. I’m my humble opinion, that is just stupid. We need a full roster of kids that actually can play , let him keep one walk on for his potential player or kid of a player guy. I hate to even get started on this. Haha.

This guy I’ve had my eyes on for months. Great shooter, senior, multi time all conference, was a top 200ish prospect that originally went to Vandy and has thus been in the SEC.

Not the biggest guy in the world though so not a ton of positional flexibility.

Reactions: BassProCat
I saw Meechie Johnson entered the portal, anyone know who leads for him? That’ll be a good get for someone.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Cal said UK would only add two portal guys at the most in his most recent interview.

More than likely it's only going to be one. He wants to depend on a freshman-heavy team again, evidently.

20-12 season here we come.

We have reached out to Cliff Omoruyi the Rutgers big. Averaged near a double /double 10.4 / 8.3 this past year with 3 blocks per game. His previous year, he averaged 13.2 / 9.6 per game and has made the ALL BIG conference defensive team in 23 and 24.. Has played 4 years (all for Rutgers), has 1 remaining, 6'11 and was a one time big UK recruit, even naming UK the dreaded "his dream school". All of the big time players have reached out to him. Maybe we can sign another big Nigerian, it worked well in the past. Played high school ball at Roselle Catholic in New jersey. The kid has done well in the BIG conference, he is used to competition and is very physical, which is what we need more of.

I like Micah Peavy of TCU. He can play anything from PG to PF. I saw him put up a triple double on Arizona State early in the year. He is good at everything, offensively and defensively, except he isn't a great shooter. He can score, but is more of a facilitator. His Dad was his high school coach, and they were the top team in Texas that year. He was around the top 50 coming out of HS.

Reactions: crawfords corner

A kid to keep an eye on potentially. Went JUCO then 2 seasons at Milwaukee. Will be 22 this summer. Listed at good size. Good shooting splits but his shot is a little interesting looking. I think Cal wants “physicality” and a big guard that averaged over 6.5 RPG this year and 5 RPG last year might add something there. Since people will compare to Reeves as a 2G that scored a lot at a small level, I did find it interesting that Reeves never averaged more than 3.5 RPG at Illinois State.

Maybe not a perfect target but still intriguing.

We need a guy like Kobe Johnson (USC). 6’6, 200 lbs. SR. Two time PAC-12 All-Defensive team. I believe his brother plays for the Hawks.

Preaching to the choir I know, but Cal's system just doesn't work for the transfer portal. Every one of our marginal NBA prospects will go through the process and wait until the last minute to declare or decide to come back.

Meanwhile players at other schools aren't pushed to the NBA and make their decisions much earlier which mitigates the roster uncertainty that turns portal players off from UK.

That and our compete mishandling of NIL compared to other top schools.

In short, I'm sure we'll land a couple of decent, but not game-changing transfers while the top guys go elsewhere.

Rinse and repeat for however long Cal hangs around here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT