ADVERTISEMENT

Portal glance

So I saw John young at Miami. Christian Lewis to Troy and Magwood ended up somewhere

But are a lot of the other guys not finding a place to play? That is the saddest part is guys that had a ride and a chance for college degree but lose it all due to poor expectations
It’s not everybody that makes the choice for themselves, nobody wants to acknowledge that coaches also push people out. Hard to say who does it on their own and who is nudged or told firmly. It’s why I don’t mind kids being able to do what they want on their end too. It just needs to be done in a more reasonable way than it is now. The coaches and admins aren’t pure on this stuff either

Reactions: K_TIME
Saban said he offered all his guys transferring out to play in their bowl game but they aren't. Said he didn't know if it was good or not for players to not stay connected to their team till the season is over. One interesting thing with them is they have brought their incoming portal guys in to practice for the bowl game to give them a head start with the team. Of course they can't play in the bowl game, but I wonder if any of our incoming transfers are with our team already?
Not that it matters now of course, but I wonder how the bowl game discussion went down between Stoops and the departing players. IMO, out of the guys that are leaving, Smoke, Magwood, and maybe C Robinson could have possibly made a bowl game impact; probably not enough to change the outcome.

Saban said he offered all his guys transferring out to play in their bowl game but they aren't. Said he didn't know if it was good or not for players to not stay connected to their team till the season is over. One interesting thing with them is they have brought their incoming portal guys in to practice for the bowl game to give them a head start with the team. Of course they can't play in the bowl game, but I wonder if any of our incoming transfers are with our team already?
I could be wrong, but I don’t think portal guys can practice on the field with the team. I thought any bowl game (and the playoffs) are an extension of the first semester and portal guys were not enrolled during the first semester and, thus, not eligible for on the field practice or games. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think portal guys can practice on the field with the team. I thought any bowl game (and the playoffs) are an extension of the first semester and portal guys were not enrolled during the first semester and, thus, not eligible for on the field practice or games. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
That is what I was wondering. Did Saban mean they was practicing or just there observing?

Portal guys practiced with the team last years bowl prep but Stoops said he wasn’t allowing it this year. If I had to read between the lines I’d guess because they were transferring they weren’t practicing as hard as they could, were a distraction at worst, and just took reps away from guys staying.

I think it’s in both parties interest to let them move on after the regular season.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
There will be another portal surge post bowls so this is far from over.
Probably after spring ball as well. That is when you are likely to see more QB movement as QB competitions in spring establish pecking orders and guys that don't finish at least #2 look for other opportunities.

Reactions: docholiday51
I suspect the timing of the early portal season will be a real detriment to the four teams in the playoffs. Take UGa, for example... As we see, most of the players stay put, for the time being, because of the possibility of getting a ring. And let's say a dozen enter the portal (probably more). By the time those players announce their intentions nearly all the portal players of value will already be committed somewhere else. So now the Georgia coaches are faced with a dozen scholarships (again, probably more) and maybe only a few players worth pursuing.
Don't get me wrong; my heart won't bleed for them (or TCU, Michigan or tOSU), but I'll bet there will be some discussion about it moving forward.

I am sure that will be a concern. We have kids entering their 3rd year and are no closer to seeing the field today than they were the first, we have starters that teams are coming after with big NIL deals. It's really cutthroat out there right now.

Reactions: cat888
I am sure that will be a concern. We have kids entering their 3rd year and are no closer to seeing the field today than they were the first, we have starters that teams are coming after with big NIL deals. It's really cutthroat out there right now.
That’s going to happen to any starter on any team all they have to announce is they are filling the paperwork for the portal to get the wheels turning as far as non starters going to the portal their playing days are over and hopefully they have graduated and ready to go to the real world because no one is signing them up

We had multiple portal guys play against Iowa on January 1, 2022, and were very fortunate they did, as we has 12 players out with sickness/covid, etc.

We had multiple portal guys play against Iowa on January 1, 2022, and were very fortunate they did, as we has 12 players out with sickness/covid, etc.
I should have been more clear. I was referring to inbound portal players which was one of the points of the poster to whom I was responding.

Outgoing portal players remain eligible for bowls/playoffs as they were on the team during the first semester and bowls/playoffs are deemed an extension of the first semester.

Last edited:
Portal guys practiced with the team last years bowl prep but Stoops said he wasn’t allowing it this year. If I had to read between the lines I’d guess because they were transferring they weren’t practicing as hard as they could, were a distraction at worst, and just took reps away from guys staying.

I think it’s in both parties interest to let them move on after the regular season.
I was referring to inbound portal players not outgoing portal players. Outgoing portal players are eligible to play bowls/playoffs as they were on the team during the first semester.

It appears UK is taking a hard line on guys wanting to leave. Stories I've seen is Goodwin asked to return, UK set some parameters, Goodwin failed to meet and UK waived "bye-bye." Rogers inquired about returning and UK said: "Nope, see ya." Don't know if either are true but I can see UK/Stoops setting guidelines.

What a waste, Goodwin probably sitting out the Spring semester and getting no CFB coaching from anyone. Even if he commits he can't enroll anywhere, unless the place is on the quarters system. Did hebeven get invited on any official visits?

What a waste, Goodwin probably sitting out the Spring semester and getting no CFB coaching from anyone. Even if he commits he can't enroll anywhere, unless the place is on the quarters system. Did hebeven get invited on any official visits?
I have not seen anything. Only thing I have heard is that UL was evaluating him.

Reactions: mrschwump

That isn't good at all for him, not sure how much self discipline he has. He could really balloon up.

That isn't good at all for him, not sure how much self discipline he has. He could really balloon up.
I'm guessing Goodwin's already ballooned. Damned shame he couldn't take advantage of a great opportunity whether it be at UK or elsewhere. He's still young, has a RS year to spend so he could get another chance. It's up to him.

I'm guessing Goodwin's already ballooned. Damned shame he couldn't take advantage of a great opportunity whether it be at UK or elsewhere. He's still young, has a RS year to spend so he could get another chance. It's up to him.

I am surprised that a few programs who hit the portal hard haven't jumped all over him, UF, AU, OM all come to mind pretty quick. That grass isn't always greener.

I'm sure some phone calls came to Lexington asking for honest reason why he was leaving, how did he perform in the program over the 11 months....and honest fully truthful responses were given.

With this portal stuff I think coaches give honest answers to each other. And don't let a shitheel go to a peers team.

Wonder what Goodwin does if no one takes him. Considering how highly touted he was out of high school, that would really hurt his stock.

New reports have Goodwin visiting Florida now, with him likely staying and enrolling

Their collective has extra money to give out now I hear!

New reports have Goodwin visiting Florida now, with him likely staying and enrolling

Saw that, was surprised he was listed at 305, of course my eyes aren't the best anymore

Saw that, was surprised he was listed at 305, of course my eyes aren't the best anymore
Yeah, there's a reason UK let this guy walk as easily as they did but we can only speculate what it is. That U6 didn't put up much of a fight is another red flag. Maybe getting away from his local "handlers" will help him. He's been presented with great opportunities, this could be his last chance to not blow it.

Reactions: Littlefeller
Yeah, there's a reason UK let this guy walk as easily as they did but we can only speculate what it is. That U6 didn't put up much of a fight is another red flag. Maybe getting away from his local "handlers" will help him. He's been presented with great opportunities, this could be his last chance to not blow it.

Don't know haw many transfers UF can take but they are desperate for OL.

If he doesn't work out at Florida and left them in a year or 2, he's still so big & such a high recruiting reputation low P5/high G5 programs will give him a 3rd shot

Goodwin, Huey, R Lewis, Drennin and Crumes only 5 left looking for a home. Yes, Goodwin only has a week left to enroll there.

If he doesn't work out at Florida and left them in a year or 2, he's still so big & such a high recruiting reputation low P5/high G5 programs will give him a 3rd shot
Case in point: oft traveled Arik Gilbert, formerly of LSU, formerly of Florida, formerly of Georgia, lands at Nebraska today

Talented athletic big men are never gonna be given up on in CFB, not by everyone

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Case in point: oft traveled Arik Gilbert, formerly of LSU, formerly of Florida, formerly of Georgia, lands at Nebraska today

Talented athletic big men are never gonna be given up on in CFB, not by everyone

Gilbert was never able to overcome his "personal issues" whatever ther were and to earn playing time in Athens. One of his issues was thinking he was a WR.

Just saw where UF is pushing hard for Goodwin because they had an OL just tear his Achilles. This is thevthing that surprised me after reading this board, they are claiming UK who is trying to get him to return and UL are the competition. From reading here I thought UK had washed their hands of him and UL had said no thanks. Added 3 from portal.

We ended up with 10 hitting the portal, 1 was a starter who went to Texas and 12 with eligibility left declaring for the draft, several non starters. Will have a few more in portal after spring when they see where they end up in depth chart.

Maybe a change in scenery/put some folks far away helps Goodwin. But I'd be shocked if he transformed into a starting SEC tackle for them by Utah gametime Aug 31st.

Maybe a change in scenery/put some folks far away helps Goodwin. But I'd be shocked if he transformed into a starting SEC tackle for them by Utah gametime Aug 31st.

Didn't see much of him, but he looked very stiff, forcing him to play too high, overweight and not very mobile. I think him at OT without a good bit of improvement in those areas would be a liability. Don't think he would touch a quick speed rusher. But he is young and can improve in all of that, but as they say it's up to him.

Now 24/7 apparently saying Goodwin want to return to UK, if that doesn't work on to UL

Now 24/7 apparently saying Goodwin want to return to UK, if that doesn't work on to UL
So he said no to UF. Rowland said the other day that UK told Goodwin what yo fo if he wanted to return and he didn't do it. He said he could still return but it would take alot

Apparently the drop dead enroll date for Florida is 8 am Monday thr 23rd

The Clarion in Jackson MS had an article about the SEC teams that picked up QB's in the portal. There are six teams and Ole Miss has two. It said that Kentucky got the best QB out of all those others. They think that Spencer will replace Dart, so a chance that Dart may be moving again after spring practice at the next portal since they like the transfer Howard also. It said that AL may be laying low till after spring practice so they don't lose any of their 4 QB's early and may go after another one in the next portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT