ADVERTISEMENT

Pope mic'd up. Longer practice video

You go back an notice the little positive inflections and such. When Amari Williams put the shoulder into Pope, you hear Oh yea and positive from there. You see the positive on Garrison, the positive on Butler, Kerr and so forth. I am sure when needed he is getting into guys but right now they are throwing new verbiage along with getting 12 guys on task for Pope's system of practice and what is expected. Hopefully Jaxson is coaching them the other hours of the week that coaches cannot. Pick up games and such. Pope has so many men on this team. Leaders are Butler and Carr with I think Oweh and maybe Garrison as well. Then you have guys that show by doing like Williams, Kerr, Almonor and such. Will be a fun group and hope they come together quickly.
Jaxon will have to be a leader on this team and will potentially be our best player. Not sure why ppl are sleeping on him

I'm thinking Big Cat Mark Pope has had a bit of shrinkage and maybe was also just a bit inflated.
pool-cold.gif

But But we should have hired Oats, the guy that got beat by 30 in Rupp by a guy that can't coach just last year and the year before that he looked the other way on a horrible gun crime because advancing in the tournament was all that mattered.

Tune out the trash and enjoy the Pope era.
You mean WELCHs offense that the Cow threw away when he reverted to 80s style stall and pucker ball after that for the rest of the year....

Jaxon will have to be a leader on this team and will potentially be our best player. Not sure why ppl are sleeping on him
Pope himself has said on 3 different occasions that Butler and Carr will be the main leaders. They are the vocal leaders and not afraid to point out issues with guys. Line them up and such. Jaxson might be the silent type (lead by example) but it does not sound like he is wanting team leadership.

Pope himself has said on 3 different occasions that Butler and Carr will be the main leaders. They are the vocal leaders and not afraid to point out issues with guys. Line them up and such. Jaxson might be the silent type (lead by example) but it does not sound like he is wanting team leadership.
An outsider that watched them last weekend said that Butler and Carr stand out as leaders. So sounds right.

This was great to see.

I liked that he was teaching without yelling and screaming like a lunatic.

I liked that he was doing hands on work with the bigs. Being a key reserve/occasional starting center on the greatest college basketball team ever assembled lends credibility to his teaching.

I liked hearing”If we have a catch and shoot 3, we’re shooting it” as well as the emphasis on blocking out.
What I loved hearing most was "early help, early recover, showing help right here". Pope just taught the big guys more about how to hedge on pick and roll defense than I have seen out of the last guy in 15 years.

If he can fix our pick and roll defense for our bigs, we win a lot more games.

And, how about those complete sentences?? Amazing!!!

Ya know. This was refreshing to see. Very actually. Maybe Cal and his staff did some of this, but they NEVER truly showed it. UK fans want to see that kind of stuff. We crave it.

I really hope we have a good year. Baseball was nice, and proud of them, but man we need to get basketball humming again.
Yeah I hear you I'm not wanting to rush past football but I'm so ready to finally enjoy some basketball!! This seems like a good group of kids and Cal's weird nonsense isn't here to ruin it. Finally!!!

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Yeah I hear you I'm not wanting to rush past football but I'm so ready to finally enjoy some basketball!! This seems like a good group of kids and Cal's weird nonsense isn't here to ruin it. Finally!!!
I think football this year is kinda like basketball next year. Stoops needs to shake it up a little bit. Got a good QB it seems so, need to see some better offensive schemes this go round.

Reactions: Imnew
Complete sentences, indeed.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I'll be able to stomach more than two minutes of a postgame interview.

The constant and random cutoff stammering BS from Cal was infuriating.

Hey.....I mean......did you see Travis..........and what about PJ............Look.........Ellen told me the other day..........what it comes down to..............look...............it is what it is........

What I loved hearing most was "early help, early recover, showing help right here". Pope just taught the big guys more about how to hedge on pick and roll defense than I have seen out of the last guy in 15 years.

I got so sick of the pansy picks we set under Cal. Stop abandoning your man, and put up a wall!

I'm telling you all Carr is dang near 7 foot. He is clearly taller then coach by several inches in every photo I've seen of them together and he looks to be slightly taller than both Garrison and Williams.

I'm thinking Big Cat Mark Pope has had a bit of shrinkage and maybe was also just a bit inflated.

Photos of him in team photos back in the day say he was definitely every bit of 6'9, but I'd buy 6'10. He's probably 6'8ish now. Carr is just freaking tall. Legit 6'11 and not exactly a string bean either.

We got 3 legit 6'11 big men all weighing between 230 and 265. I'd put these 3 against out 3 useless 7 footers any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

lol. Love it.

Reactions: cathouse
Photos of him in team photos back in the day say he was definitely every bit of 6'9, but I'd buy 6'10. He's probably 6'8ish now. Carr is just freaking tall. Legit 6'11 and not exactly a string bean either.

We got 3 legit 6'11 big men all weighing between 230 and 265. I'd put these 3 against out 3 useless 7 footers any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
A 6-11 player who is not a string bean? Sign me up! I was tired of Kal's Starvin-Marvin freshmen getting pushed around every year.

This should have more than four million likes, but I understand not all here in Kentucky love the Cats. I do. This gets me very excited, but I was also excited day one and had the chance to tell Mitch the other day how much I thought it was a great hire, and he was thankful and appreciative of that feedback. I feel like we have gone from "carnival barker" to a situation that might parallel a young and unproven Coach K at Duke. With Pope's strong passion, NBA experience, character, and national championship ring, among many other qualities, we have the personified formula for future success. This is the exciting beginning of what I hope is a fabulous stretch run in my life and years I might have left of Kentucky basketball successes. Proud as ever to be a Kentucky fan, from birth till the very end.

The last 4-5 years I have not enjoyed watching UK play and it was all because of the coaching . I am 79 years old & really excited about this coming season. Pope is going to be a great coach at UK . Just hope I live long enough to see UK win some more championships. Great video !
You and me both, Westerncat. Hope to live long enough to see us pass UCLA in titles. Might have to hurry though, lol.

Reactions: mrjuk and cathouse
You go back an notice the little positive inflections and such. When Amari Williams put the shoulder into Pope, you hear Oh yea and positive from there. You see the positive on Garrison, the positive on Butler, Kerr and so forth. I am sure when needed he is getting into guys but right now they are throwing new verbiage along with getting 12 guys on task for Pope's system of practice and what is expected. Hopefully Jaxson is coaching them the other hours of the week that coaches cannot. Pick up games and such. Pope has so many men on this team. Leaders are Butler and Carr with I think Oweh and maybe Garrison as well. Then you have guys that show by doing like Williams, Kerr, Almonor and such. Will be a fun group and hope they come together quickly.
Pope seems all about building player confidence instead of destroying it.

Reactions: cathouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT