POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Increased tax revenue, on a societal scale has been proven, time and time again, to be grossly ineffective.

Public education is proof of that.

Fundamentally, it's not a "money" problem. It's an execution problem. If the government could demonstrate that they are good stewards of tax dollars, then I'd happily agree to tax increases if necessary. But, you see, therein lies the problem: They are NOT. And the more you give them, the more they waste and take those revenues for granted/waste them for political, rather than humanitarian gain.

It's like trying to teach a child the value of money, by raising their allowance, after they continually waste it on candy/toys...

IOW - They need to learn to spend effectively, with less, and THEN, once they've learned their lesson, we can revisit the issue of "raising their allowance"

Increased tax revenue, on a societal scale has been proven, time and time again, to be grossly ineffective.

Public education is proof of that.

Fundamentally, it's not a "money" problem. It's an execution problem. If the government could demonstrate that they are good stewards of tax dollars, then I'd happily agree to tax increases if necessary. But, you see, therein lies the problem: They are NOT. And the more you give them, the more they waste and take those revenues for granted/waste them for political, rather than humanitarian gain.

It's like trying to teach a child the value of money, by raising their allowance, after they continually waste it on candy/toys...

IOW - They need to learn to spend effectively, with less, and THEN, once they've learned their lesson, we can revisit the issue of "raising their allowance"
If anything, public education is underfunded, so investing more into it would be a net-positive.

MidseasonTweak - I'll respectfully disagree, about Public Education being underfunded. I believe, based upon my observations, growing up in a family of educators, and having worked in that field myself, for 3 decades, that the majority of funding is misspent.

Someone actually made a statement that we don't spend enough on public education. That's cute. Considering we already spend, per capita, more than any country in the world and many countries combined even.

1979 US is ranked #1 in the world in education. Govt creates department of education. As of a few yrs ago we were ranked 29th in the world. What changed?

Just continually giving the govt more money and authority is like trying to piss in a tornado.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT