ADVERTISEMENT

Political Thread: Non-obscene version

Status
Not open for further replies.
She'll deflect and avoid, and the media will allow it.

Its a great strategy if you have an immensely flawed candidate; sucks for the voting public.

I don't think it's fair to call folks/posters "liars" because they're struggling with trying to find a politician to support that is addressing some aspect of what they find most important at a particular time. I've supported (at one time or another) a wide range of politicians from GHWB in his run in the primary against Reagan (who I despise above all things), Ross Perot, Bill Clinton, Pat Buchanan, Ron Paul, and a misguided venture in believing in Barack Obama.

I was willing to overlook a whole lot of what I did not agree with in Perot, Buchanan, and Paul because I felt they were the only voices out there addressing the dilution of our sovereignty. I wound up supporting Clinton as Perot sort of imploded and the Republican primary did such a hatchet job on Ron Paul that he was reduced to a stammering fool in trying to fend off their unrelenting attacks. Pat Buchanan really honed in on the dilution of our sovereignty and to this day is really good at addressing the issue and I always enjoy listening to him talk about it but then he lapses into a whole lot of other stuff that would be hard if not impossible to support on the tax side.

If there were a populist candidate that credibly supported the middle class with a strong message about the decline of US sovereignty to global interests and was not guaranteed to cater to minorities/poor nor pander to the rich then I would be highly interested in what they have to say as honestly the middle class is the only class in the US that never has a real candidate.

Problem is we are guaranteed to get a globalists no matter what happens and that means the middle class gets the shaft yet again. Doesn't matter if it's a Republican or Democrat. That is guaranteed.
I have a serious question for you and other liberal/democrats on here. Your comment about the "tax side" got me to thinking. What is reasonable in your eyes with a families federal taxes? I am going to give you some ranges here and would really like to know what you and others think. Also, would you consider a flat tax with no lope holes?

$10 thousand to $50 thousand a year: %?
$50 thousand to $100 thousand a year: %?
$100 thousand to $500 thousand a year: %?
$500 thousand to $1 million a year: %?
$1 million to $10 million a year: %?
Over $10 million a year: %?

Im neither an accountant nor a budget wonk, so i won't even try to ballpark %s.

A progressive income tax scheme, though, seems to be the only reasonably feasible method of raising the types of revenue the current (or even a slimmed down) federal budget would require.

You can only tax the sub-six figure crowd so much. Sales and commodity taxes already hit them hard enough.

May 1, 2008. We were in the heat of the primaries that led to John McCain vs. Barack Obama. Jesus what a shitty time for our country (and we're no better off today).

Date..................Debt Held by the Public... Intragovernmental Holdings......Total Public Debt Outstanding
05/01/2008........5,227,864,606,882.37.......... 4,118,554,496,321.55 .................... 9,346,419,103,203.92

Date................Debt Held by the Public...... Intragovernmental Holdings........Total Public Debt Outstanding
04/17/2015......13,074,275,612,443.50.........5,077,722,066,952.55.........................18,151,997,679,396.05

Im neither an accountant nor a budget wonk, so i won't even try to ballpark %s.

A progressive income tax scheme, though, seems to be the only reasonably feasible method of raising the types of revenue the current (or even a slimmed down) federal budget would require.

You can only tax the sub-six figure crowd so much. Sales and commodity taxes already hit them hard enough.
That is kind of where I am going Jamo. I know that some would like a 40% or more tax just on federal for those making more than 6 figures. However, no matter how much you tax, there almost always is a need for more. Poor leardship and government management is the reason IMO. It is insane the amount of money wasted by the government.

Interesting looking back at that 2011 thread that appeared out of nowhere.

Good to see it has at least one post from Defense fawning over Romney. You know, before Defense was all-in-Obama-2012.

I on the other hand sarcastically celebrated the fact that nuclear power won't be an option in the US, thought blind people made up a list of hot women in politics and pointed out that Obama was basically a radical right wing chickenhawk war mongerer.

Be nice if we could get some more of the old threads. (Besides those from 2008. Pretty sure I was on the anybody but Obama train. That would make for some embarrassing posts considering the ticket was McCain/Palin. But I have grown a lot since then.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT