ADVERTISEMENT

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Coach Coen..............

Devin hasn’t been great but man our WRs play with so little Football IQ and attention to detail it makes question the coaching. On one of Learys interceptions brown literally backpedaled instead of attacking the ball. This is more that the Qb.

Please Coen go tempo - gun only use tight ends - throw to running backs - limit attempts to BB
RUN Jefferson just as much as Davis

Reactions: plumdog69
Brooks' apex 8-win seasons were thanks to Joker/Sanders unleashing absolute hell fire with Andre and that crew. There was nothing "balanced" to it.

Wrong. You just completely fabricated that entire thing. Raf little was as much reason as anyone. Definitely one of the greatest backs in UK history. He was like #4 all time in all purpose yards.

Not to mention John Connor who was one of the greatest fullbacks in UK history.

In fact, that balanced run game was exactly why many mumme holdover fans started the "ditch rich and Mitch" movement even wearing the shirts proudly at games. Constant complaining about not throwing the ball enough. No instead he made us relevant including beating the #1 team in the nation

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
Devin hasn’t been great but man our WRs play with so little Football IQ and attention to detail it makes question the coaching. On one of Learys interceptions brown literally backpedaled instead of attacking the ball. This is more that the Qb.

The bama pick was on brown too. No separation and the QB throws down and away where only his man should have a chance. instead brown lets the defender come all the way across his face and get the pick. Should've never happened. Embarrassing really

He almost cost us a pick last week doing just what you described instead of coming back to the ball like his route surely required

Wrong. You just completely fabricated that entire thing. Raf little was as much reason as anyone. Definitely one of the greatest backs in UK history. He was like #4 all time in all purpose yards.

Not to mention John Connor who was one of the greatest fullbacks in UK history.

In fact, that balanced run game was exactly why many mumme holdover fans started the "ditch rich and Mitch" movement even wearing the shirts proudly at games. Constant complaining about not throwing the ball enough. No instead he made us relevant including beating the #1 team in the nation

Yeah...Raf was an all-purpose back which means a lot of his damage was coming from multi use...AKA PASSING...

John Conner had about as many rec TDs as rushing...and yeah I agree he was a good full back...protected Andre a bunch of times IN THE PASSING GAME.

Go look at rushing scores...

O6' Raf had 3 rush and 2 rec...team total rushing TDs were like 10 or 12. Andre had 1.

07' Raf had 3 and 1 rec...team total were 20 and Andre had 3 of them

Passing scores doubled up rushing both years. Yards per game each year wasn't even close either.

So again...passing wins. Our best back was as lethal and productive as he was because he was a threat in the passing game.

Those running lanes were open for him for a reason. Most defenses were worried about our TE, two WRs going yard.

Last edited:
Yeah...Raf was an all-purpose back which means a lot of his damage was coming from multi use...AKA PASSING...

John Conner had about as many rec TDs as rushing...and yeah I agree he was a good full back...protected Andre a bunch of times IN THE PASSING GAME.

Go look at rushing scores...

O6' Raf had 3 rush and 2 rec...team total rushing TDs were like 10 or 12. Andre had 1.

07' Raf had 3 and 1 rec...team total were 20 and Andre had 3 of them

Passing scores doubled up rushing both years. Yards per game each year wasn't even close either.

So again...passing wins. Our best back was as lethal and productive as he was because he was a threat in the passing game.

Those running lanes were open for him for a reason. Most defenses were worried about our TE, two WRs going yard.

If you don't understand the value of rafael little on those teams, then I'm not sure what else to say. The entire passing game was predicated on play action. Much of our time was spent in two back formations with the terminator. Running the ball made everything work for those offenses.

I think we are seeing the results of an "inexperienced" OC in Coen. I think one of the reasons we are constantly up against the play clock is that Liam is calling the game "play to play". He should have several plays ready to go based on down and distance. What makes this even more disturbing, is that after his health scare he transitioned up to the booth, where it is a lot less chaotic and should be a more relaxed environment to process the game.

I know there is a lot of talk about Leary and Coen not being on the same page in regards to what Leary does best. A good OC's job is to put your QB and offense in the best position to succeed, based on their strengths and weaknesses. A good example is the work done over the last several weeks by Bama's 33 yr old OC. He has tailored the Bama offense to fit Milroe's talents, not force Milroe to run an offense that accentuated Bryce Young's talents. Heck I know we have a lot of fans who blasted Eddie Gran's offense, but even he switched up mid stream and created a winning offense behind Lynn Bowden's talents.

The last thing and its a problem that our coaches have been struggling with for a few years, it's "game management". Yes Leary gets roasted for the strip iINT, but that should've never happened if our OC was taking into account "time" and field position. We got the ball at the 50 with around 3 minutes left. Coen immediatelt dials up a slow developing double move to Key, which forced our QB to hold onto the ball much longer. Our intermediate stuff had been working and would have also used time off the clock, which even if we only got a FG would've left USC with not a lot of time. Sorry to be so long, just an old coach venting !! GBB

Reactions: cathouse
Guys, to me the linebackers play has been way down the last 2 years
You are definitely right about our LB play. JJ Weaver isn't close to being the same player he was before the injury. Wallace hasn't been the same since he got hurt in the Florida game. I remember him flying sideline to sideline before the injury. Also I believe Rayner #17 should get a lot more snaps that Jackson is currently getting and I would like to see more Fearby who is much more twitchy than Wade.

If you don't understand the value of rafael little on those teams, then I'm not sure what else to say. The entire passing game was predicated on play action. Much of our time was spent in two back formations with the terminator. Running the ball made everything work for those offenses.

Nobody is talking value of individual players. This whole discussion is about needing a better, more consistent, aggressive, and productive offense.

Play action requires run which we have in spades, but it is still PASSING. You run just enough in order to set up the pass because passing ultimately gets you more yardage and more scores.

Nobody is saying don't run, nobody is saying running can't be complimentary...but it is and should be just that...COMPLIMENTARY TO SET UP THE PASS...

I think what everyone who is pro Coen and pro passing is trying to say is that CMS to his credit has the run game down. From recruiting to developing and getting production on game day. We've had good productive RBs...we need unleash the passing game and utilize more play action, RBs and TEs in it.

Again, the hang ups in the passing game or lack thereof have been here for 12 years and multiple offenses, qbs, OCs, etc... thus it is not specifically an LC problem.

Nobody is talking value of individual players. This whole discussion is about needing a better, more consistent, aggressive, and productive offense.

Play action requires run which we have in spades, but it is still PASSING. You run just enough in order to set up the pass because passing ultimately gets you more yardage and more scores.

Nobody is saying don't run, nobody is saying running can't be complimentary...but it is and should be just that...COMPLIMENTARY TO SET UP THE PASS...

I think what everyone who is pro Coen and pro passing is trying to say is that CMS to his credit has the run game down. From recruiting to developing and getting production on game day. We've had good productive RBs...we need unleash the passing game and utilize more play action, RBs and TEs in it.

Again, the hang ups in the passing game or lack thereof have been here for 12 years and multiple offenses, qbs, OCs, etc... thus it is not specifically an LC problem.

And your position is coen wants to do those things you want, but stoops isn't allowing it?

NO MORE SHORT QB's!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOOOOO sick and tired of seeing the ball knocked down at the line of scrimmage!!!!!

Leary is short AND doesn't acknowledge that fact because he WON'T move in the pocket to find a passing lane!!!

He has to be the all-time UK leader in passes blocked in a season!!!
I'd take Drew Brees in a minute. He had no problems.

I'd take Drew Brees in a minute. He had no problems.
Devin Leary is NO WHERE NEAR what Drew Brees was!!!

If Leary could move in the pocket HALF as good as Brees did, he would NOT get SO MANY of his passes blocked at the Line-of-Scrimmage.

Last edited:
My position is what it has been from the beginning.

You cannot blame LC for problems that have been around for 12 years.

This is exactly what I mean by mental gymnastics.

If you won't blame coen for this season, you can't credit him for two years ago.

Conversely if you blame stoops for the offense this season, then he's the one who's gets credit for two years ago.

Reactions: Lost In FL
If Leary puts more air under the ball we probably hit on 2 or 3 of those tonight.

You can use the "if" excuse just about every game this season in regards to Leary and Brown on deep ball.
One of the two will screw it up.
It's been an extremely low value play all year.
Have they connected on a deep pass this season? I cannot think of any, although I'm sure there were some early.

But it seems like a wasted play. All season. JMO.

If you won't blame coen for this season, you can't credit him for two years ago.

Conversely if you blame stoops for the offense this season, then he's the one who's gets credit for two years ago.
I think that made my head hurt!

It's not mental gymnastics...it's eyesight and noticeable patterns over time.

Two years ago we had for the first time in well over a decade a QB sniff 25 TDs...and that QB is now starting in the NFL, first one since Tim Couch.

This year for all the fluff and gruff about Leary, we may actually have another QB get close to 25...I think he's got 20 right now with 2 games left.

So two years of LC are going to see about 25 scores each via the air when all the other years we we're in the 15 range at best.

What is there to blame Coen for? He's doing his job as far as I can tell. He's improved our QB play and passing game in general. That's what he is, that's why he was brought in. He's holding up his end of the bargain.

He did it starting from scratch with new QBs to the program, sec, offense, not a lot of chemistry with the guys, etc both times.

NO MORE SHORT QB's!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SOOOOOOO sick and tired of seeing the ball knocked down at the line of scrimmage!!!!!

Leary is short AND doesn't acknowledge that fact because he WON'T move in the pocket to find a passing lane!!!

He has to be the all-time UK leader in passes blocked in a season!!!
I don’t think it is a height issue. It’s a slow long delivery problem. DLs can see that ball coming for a whole second to time their knock down.

How F'n ironic would it be if Leary and Brown set some records at the Stadium formerly known as Papa John's Saturday?

I'd love to see it!!!
Would be nice, hope they all play out of their minds. Walker’s been talking some crap on Twitter and I really think he can back it up.

Devin Leary is NO WHERE NEAR what Drew Brees was!!!

If Leary could move in the pocket HALF as good as Brees did, he would NOT get SO MANY of his passes blocked at the Line-of-Scrimmage.
My point wasn't about who's better. You said no more short QB's. It's scheme not height. I officiated SB XLIV with NO & IND. Coach Peyton would drop Brees back behind the tackles most often. That gave him better windows and not get knocked down. Plus Breez had a higher release point..

Reactions: catben
My point wasn't about who's better. You said no more short QB's. It's scheme not height. I officiated SB XLIV with NO & IND. Coach Peyton would drop Brees back behind the tackles most often. That gave him better windows and not get knocked down. Plus Breez had a higher release point..
Oh I agree with everything you said, but QB's Brees' size that could do what he did are RARE. Another thing that hurts Leary is he has a LOW release and trajectory on the ball coming out. Peyton would also drop Brees back deeper to help overcome his height and he was GREAT at throwing the ball between the defensive fronts raised hands.

Oh I agree with everything you said, but QB's Brees' size that could do what he did are RARE. Another thing that hurts Leary is he has a LOW release and trajectory on the ball coming out. Peyton would also drop Brees back deeper to help overcome his height and he was GREAT at throwing the ball between the defensive fronts raised hands.
Keep in mind the last time Leary played against UL he was 27-35 , 317 yards and 4TD's. He can get it done. Just needs help from everyone ( players and coaches ).

Reactions: catben
Keep in mind the last time Leary played against UL he was 27-35 , 317 yards and 4TD's. He can get it done. Just needs help from everyone ( players and coaches ).
Would LOVE to see him repeat it and get some sort of success by beating our rival on their home field as a top 10 team!!!

I'll be pulling HARD for him to do it and our Cats to win and ruin the Cards day!!

I’m sure Leary is a good kid, but he’s not a leader and the guys don’t respect him. He apparently throws bombs when they aren’t called.

Guys, no offense, but Coen has schemed guys open all year. If we could throw and catch, we would be +14 in points per game easy.

It seems like after every batted pass I just see our OL disengaged. Like they aren't anywhere close to the DL who knocks them down. Aren't OL supposed to be engaged in a street fight, so to speak, until the play is over? If we kept our hands on the DL that would result in less passes being batted down. Why aren't we doing this?

Reactions: Lost In FL
Coen’s been a disappointment in my book this year. Not terrible or anything but if I’m honest I don’t feel like we’ve got some big advantage at the OC position. I think we should be honest that he’s not here because he missed coaching kids he’s here because Rams told him to take another opportunity.
I like a lot of the concepts and love all the presnap motion….I despise deep balls to non jump ball/physical capable receivers. Speed guys should be using angles and running skinny post, cop routes etc to run away from the DB…not fades. I also realllly question the game situation deep balls on critical drives. We’ve lost 2 games by trying to go deep to Brown on must have drives; sometimes even when you only needs 2 yards for a first down (Tennessee and USCjr)

Speed guys should be using angles and running skinny post, cop routes etc to run away from the DB…not fades. I also realllly question the game situation deep balls on critical drives. We’ve lost 2 games by trying to go deep to Brown on must have drives; sometimes even when you only needs 2 yards for a first down (Tennessee and USCjr)
UK should try to use Brown like they did with Badet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT