ADVERTISEMENT

Player with the Calipari “short chain” this season...

Juzang might have played less than any highly ranked player in the Cal era. There were so many people on these boards who had NEVER seen him play claim he was the next Herro or SGA. He is lacking foot speed and can’t play defense. The good thing is he should be doing pre season practice for his high school team. Some of these reclass guys just aren’t physically mature enough for a top 5 basketball team.

I'd like to see the guy come in and hit a couple of 3 pointers each game but he is awful on D and won't get much run due to that until that changes.

Or maybe it's just the fact that the elite are better than the possible lottery picks and justify more of a leash.
Why a mistake is a mistake, you are telling me against Auburn we were better off with Hagans on the floor. Not buying that. Every kid makes mistakes, yanking them after 45 seconds is not teaching them a damn thing.

Why a mistake is a mistake, you are telling me against Auburn we were better off with Hagans on the floor. Not buying that. Every kid makes mistakes, yanking them after 45 seconds is not teaching them a damn thing.

The bottom line is I prefer playing my best players...........especially in a game against the number 1 team in the nation.

I'll take my chances with my best players making mistakes than with the less talented players making them.

There's a time for learning and there's a time for winning a basketball game.

We won the game and people are really complaining about this?

It is what it is. It seems he has one or two players every year he does this with. We however dont have the insight Cal does. I just find that its odd some of the players get to run out of bounds like 5 times per game and he doesnt take them out, but others make one mistake and they are out. In a game playing Michigan St though i would rather him take him out and let him learn against a team we will beat by 30.

Cal always has his whipping dog, just ask the kid playing for Arizona now. If you are one of his elite going to be a first round pick your leash is 10 times the length. If you aren't a possible lottery pick you are not going to get treated so well.

That's why Cal only gave 14 minutes to former top recruit EJ Montgomery. He had to make sure and protect the draft stock of *checks notes* Nate Sestina.

Some of you really don't watch the games or follow the team at all do you?

It is what it is. It seems he has one or two players every year he does this with. We however dont have the insight Cal does. I just find that its odd some of the players get to run out of bounds like 5 times per game and he doesnt take them out, but others make one mistake and they are out. In a game playing Michigan St though i would rather him take him out and let him learn against a team we will beat by 30.

Right. We don't play a semi good team until Georgia Tech. We have 7 games against sub 100 and sub 200 teams.
Those are the games you let the lesser guys go for a bit longer to learn.

Not against Michigan St. Those games very important when it comes to seeding later on. Heck that first game might be our best win for a resume stand point come March.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
It makes sense Juzangs chain would be short because you have to sit Maxey, Hagans or Quigley to play hi.

I don’t know what game you were watching because Richards missed more than 1 switch on defense. Must have been several. And Sestina hedged out on a 3 to save his ass once. Just watch harder next time. Way moar harder. Or go find a replay.
Or I’ll listen to his coach and then announcers who talked about his defense, lateral movement and switching. But hey his improvement doesnt match your agenda.

Just a reminder that the aforementioned Baker, was actually a decent defender.

Yeah, he was ok. He got benched against Auburn because of that stupid 4 point play he allowed and was not good at all in the limited action he received.

Him not playing didn't make the difference between a win or loss IMO. It was the questionable officiating and UK's in ability to draw up a good play on our last offensive possession in regulation.

I don’t know what game you were watching because Richards missed more than 1 switch on defense. Must have been several. And Sestina hedged out on a 3 to save his ass once. Just watch harder next time. Way moar harder. Or go find a replay.
You can also go to HOB and read Dave Sisk’s break down where he commends Richards defense and switching. Maybe he missed a switch or two but overall everyone is lauding his defense except you.

Juzang and Brooks just not quite ready for Michigan State on the big stage. They will be completely fine. Gonna be a HUGE boost to our team as they get more comfortable in the coming weeks.

Stretch of cupcakes coming up may be a smidge boring for some of the fans, but very important to our season overall.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I remember hearing Cal yell out "YOU DO IT EVETY TIME JOHNNY, EVERY TIME" after he traveled in the BW game.
Tuesday Night's game was too big to let JJ play through his miscues. I just hope he sticks with it and doesn't end up transferring like Baker.

Juzang is orders of magnitude more talented than Baker. Johnny is going to be a huge part of the team by the time March rolls around, take that to the bank. Brooks too.

Reactions: chroix
Let's find something to complain about. That must make some posters feel big.
This is it. Calipari always says "I can't hide you here," and it's not a personal thing or an angry coach thing. It's just that he couldn't risk lapses. Now, Juzang may have been fine but every mistake is magnified in a game of that magnitude.

But, as you say, we now have 8 games to get the kinks out and to get everyone ready for the next big game. Some of these teams will present enough of a challenge to help us prepare. All our guys will get their minutes in these games. This stretch is critical because December brings higher caliber opponents.
Good analogy.

I agree. Got to give everybody down the bench some game experience. I particularly hope Ben Jordan can see some PT. He could be a very important spot player, 2-3 minutes at time. I would think he'd be able to hold his own on the boards.
Are you familar with the level of competition Ben played in high school?
Juzang is orders of magnitude more talented than Baker. Johnny is going to be a huge part of the team by the time March rolls around, take that to the bank. Brooks too.
Baker was underrated last season. Go back and watch the Wofford NCAA tournament game. Without his defense and overall strong play we don't advance.

Let's find something to complain about. That must make some posters feel big.
NUFF SAID . Same posters who after our first loss will say we suck and so on.

Literally no need for this unless ou thrive on negativity and gossip.

Play D and don't take dumb shots or get yanked . Not hard to understand. Cal can live with guys missing good shots or playing hard and making a mistake but he can't condone stupidity . That's why guys come to UK - be held responsible and get better. If they want to be coddled they can go to UW , Okie St and so on.

I'm honestly exhausted hearing about how unfair Cal is in playing time.

Cal probably knows the players better than you do. Derek Willis got PT over SKJ and Gabriel.

Or I’ll listen to his coach and then announcers who talked about his defense, lateral movement and switching. But hey his improvement doesnt match your agenda.

My agenda? That’s funny.

You can also go to HOB and read Dave Sisk’s break down where he commends Richards defense and switching. Maybe he missed a switch or two but overall everyone is lauding his defense except you.

Eh, I’ll check it out later. Our best lineup included Richards, but he was far from perfect.

Defense. He’s behind all the guards that played and Whitney.

It’s the same reason Hurt would have played a freshman Wiltjer role here at best case this year. Cal has proven that if he has other options at all then he doesn’t care if you can score if you can’t play solid defense.
I get what you are saying, but I think Cal would have had no choice but to find a way to get Hurt on the floor. His longball is money.

And now we know why you don’t coach.
Quickley is a 5 star PG who can't do anything with the ball. His offensive game is extremely awkward. He can make open threes from time to time, but last night he had a couple wide open chances to ice the game and missed terribly. He almost never beats anyone off the dribble, he cannot create for himself or others, which is why at the end of last season, even with Hagans playing terribly, Cal couldn't give him the ball. Last night, up 5, we got a rebound and he got the ball, he picked up his dribble and allowed himself to get double teamed, and we had to call a timeout, which led to the inbound play where we couldn't run the baseline and had to call another timeout.

I'm not saying he's terrible, he is useful. But Juzang offers more in terms of potential, especially alongside Hagans and Maxey. He's a much different player, very smooth offensively, certainly projects as a better pro. Whereas Quickley is basically just an inferior version of Hagans and Maxey, he's redundant.

This team reaches its potential with Juzang as a starter.

My prediction Id Brooks will grow the most over the year, and a few games we need him Johnny will be that guy who hits 4-5 big shots over the year. They are the perfect year 2 guys IMO.

Seems like Juzang got in to give someone a blow and would have played a little longer if he hadn’t messed up.

Don’t think he was a big part of the game plan. He’ll get more opportunities.

Juzang might have played less than any highly ranked player in the Cal era. There were so many people on these boards who had NEVER seen him play claim he was the next Herro or SGA. He is lacking foot speed and can’t play defense. The good thing is he should be doing pre season practice for his high school team. Some of these reclass guys just aren’t physically mature enough for a top 5 basketball team.
Well, he only played a few minutes...kind of hard to make a judgement on his potential after a few trips down the floor. He looked like he belonged out there athletically...and if he can shoot, that's OK too.

Cal will play 9 this season and Juzang as of right now is clearly the 9th guy.
Team Defense is great and as of right now Juzang has a ways to go on his Defense.
I expect him to get some time against zones though. I expect he will play in every game. But against the stronger teams only spot minutes.

Yeah, he was ok. He got benched against Auburn because of that stupid 4 point play he allowed and was not good at all in the limited action he received.

Him not playing didn't make the difference between a win or loss IMO. It was the questionable officiating and UK's in ability to draw up a good play on our last offensive possession in regulation.
Or as usual our missed free throws!

Cal will play 9 this season and Juzang as of right now is clearly the 9th guy.
Team Defense is great and as of right now Juzang has a ways to go on his Defense.
I expect him to get some time against zones though. I expect he will play in every game. But against the stronger teams only spot minutes.
I think it is a little early to decide how many minutes any of our players will get. I think Brooks for one will come into his own before we get to March!

Our best lineup right now is hagans, maxey, quickly, sestina, richards so they will have the longest leash. After that EJ, Whitney, brooks are the 3 guys that if we can get them to reach their potential will really take us to another level and add another dimension to what we can do so they will be next and JJ is the ninth guy with the shortest leash mostly because our best 3 players right now are guards.

I doubt the bigs will have have the shortest leash on the team because of the front court dynamics. Too early for me to tell right now who it is on this team.

I wish gifs were a huge thing back in Cal's early tenure. Would love to see one from the game at Alabama on the road in Cal's 2nd year. He throws Eloy Vargas in for a brief stint and next thing you know Coach is yelling at the top of his lungs "OUT!!! GET OUT!!!" right back at Vargas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT