ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino

You don’t represent the fanbase by any stretch of the imagination based on his reception tonight. You’re the 1%. There’s always a few of you that just prefer to be negative about everything.
UKBB4Ever is a Cal family member I believe. If not they have some serious loyalty to him for whatever reason.

• Haha
Reactions: chroix
Honest question, while I loved the speech I found myself wondering what his recruits are thinking, or this it for him at St Johns? Maybe it was just a one time thing.
He threw his players under the bus last year. I think he followed that up with an apology.

I just can’t agree. Only coach in 130 years of basketball to have a ship stripped. Not a good thing for UK to hang out with. His years here were fantastic but he burned his career in more ways than one. He has to live with that.
Not sure what he did at UofL would have to do with the 8 years here. You cannot take away the 8 years he had here. If we are just talking about what he did at UK. I mean go that direction and take away Rupp, remove his name, he was the head man on one of the biggest point shaving events at the time. He was not involved but he was here. Like I have said, do not like Rick. But time heals wounds. His time was that moment and when Pope was hired everyone knew that moment would come. Most thought it would be when St Johns came to play UK in Rupp in a year or two but Pope had other things in mind.

Reactions: CGblue
Not sure what he did at UofL would have to do with the 8 years here. You cannot take away the 8 years he had here. If we are just talking about what he did at UK. I mean go that direction and take away Rupp, remove his name, he was the head man on one of the biggest point shaving events at the time. He was not involved but he was here. Like I have said, do not like Rick. But time heals wounds. His time was that moment and when Pope was hired everyone knew that moment would come. Most thought it would be when St Johns came to play UK in Rupp in a year or two but Pope had other things in mind.
I see where you are on it but you can’t remove what he did at U6. He’s still that man.

i’ll never forget that he decimated u6 basketball, caused them to forfeit a national championship, and ruined the career of ad tom jurich. turrabul
😎

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Absolutely no reason for Pitino to be there.

Just cheapened a great night.

He wants it to be about him.
First, Pitino wouldn’t have just shown up without an invitation from Pope. That was a very unselfish thing for Pope to do on what could of been his night.

Second, Pope loves and respects Pitino. He knows he would not have gotten this opportunity to coach UK if it had not been for Pitino.

I despised Pitino for a long time…up until the Pope hiring. I saw how supportive Pitino was and I changed how I felt. I thought last night was needed for all involved. Other than a few, it brought back a lot of excitement and hope.

On another note, I wish Tubby had been there.

Last edited:
You know I have stated here many times, I do not like the man. But as a program and its one time coach, the time did feel good to allow those open wounds between UK fans and Tricky Ricky heal. UK did that moment right, after the main part of madness and it was a solid close to the night. It was emotional there in Rupp. Again, not changing my view on the guy as I had personal run it with him but as far as fandom between UK / Fans / Rick. All is now fine.

MAIN TAKEAWAY on the whole night: WE GOT OUR PROGRAM BACK! 100% We might not be great this year but as far as a head coach, getting ex players involved, getting fans involved and all for the love one something has has united many a generation is one of the best things to happen this year with all the hate in politics. All I will say there.
You can’t leave us hanging. What was the nature of your personal run in? Dissed your autograph request?

Lol, be serious with yourselves...the only reason he cared was to rub it in the last guys face, not bc he cares about anyone here (other than his players).

This is the same guy that thought he could convert everyone to be cards fans, who thought he was bigger than the program

i’ll never forget that he decimated u6 basketball, caused them to forfeit a national championship, and ruined the career of ad tom jurich. turrabul
😎
I am glad he came back for everyone’s sake. Like he said he was nervous about it so I admire the fortitude.

Can’t help but wonder that if he and Jurich had not got caught in scandals that those 2, at this time, would still be 100% in on trying to topple UK basketball ?

I was unable to watch it live here. But watching it after the fact didn't diminish any of the emotion I felt. It was really special to see. The joy Pitino showed when he realized he was truly welcome made me smile.

I'm happy it happened. It was time, and the timing was perfect.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT