ADVERTISEMENT

Not gonna lie. Losing Cal so abruptly and the timeliness of it sucked for me. But...

Jamal Sunburn

Sophomore
Feb 20, 2007
These last few months have been pretty freaking awesome!

Mark Pope galvanizing the fanbase.

Pope and staff's tireless work ethic.

Seeing how them being genuine and hard workers resonate with the recruits and their families.

Watching all the former players come together across generations and coaches.

SEEING THE REASON I AM A KENTUCKY FAN.... Rick Pitino back in blue!

Inject this $hit into my veins.

Seeing how them being genuine and hard workers resonate with the recruits and their families.

Hope coach pope continues to keep the former players involved in some way. No better way to display the tradition

And that includes Cal dudes too. I want Wall and Boogie and Ulis and all those guys to feel welcome.
Calipari’s crew? The ones who as adults post photos of wearing maroon pig gear? The ones who publicize that they ‘donated’ green sneakers to the Michigan State basketball program during the NIL era? Meh, that’s not my definition of Kentucky loyalty. Count me among those who are content if they stay away.

• Haha
Reactions: JPFisher
Calipari’s crew? The ones who as adults post photos of wearing maroon pig gear? The ones who publicize that they ‘donated’ green sneakers to the Michigan State basketball program during the NIL era? Meh, that’s not my definition of Kentucky loyalty. Count me among those who are content if they stay away.
Some of them have done that but not all. Wall has never btw.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
You say "abruptly". I say Kentucky basketball was slowly bleeding out, and the coaching change was a couple years too late. Most fans new the emperor had no clothes. Mitch couldn't have scripted a better way to get a coaching change. It's amazingly poetic how the Cal era came to an end. What a jabroni.

What “sucked” for you was one of the happiest days in my life! lol . I’ll never understand the few of you that were so attached to Cal .

I agree with the initial shock, then enthusiasm, and now the excitement.
But Coach Pope HAS to win, now that we have settled in.

Will he be a Matt Doherty, a Scott Drew, or a Dan Hurley?

I think one of the latter two...

Hope coach pope continues to keep the former players involved in some way. No better way to display the tradition
I want to see Hawkins, Polson, Wall, Biggie, Willis, Bledsoe, Bam, Liggins, Harrisons, Harrellson, Miller (my personal fave wildcat), Ulis, WCS, KAT, AD, MKG, Lamb, Knight, Poythress, Jones, Washington, Book, Herro, Sheppard, Dillingham, Tshiebwe, and more for years and years to come.

In time, I think we'll accept Cal back as well. It was time for that era to end.

In its place, the Pope era begins. Last night was cathartic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Love Pope's energy and endless work. He will do fine,,,, he did not have a lot of time to put it all together. But, some things I am concerned with :

Least athletic team in years, by a long shot.

Better hope we hit shots (lots of 3's), not going to be much creating / driving , just not athletic / strong enough.

Defense will be the key, IF we are not solid on D, it may be a less than great year.

NOT ready and may never be OK with Pitino coming back. You can't erase what he did at Louisville, my opinion it is a bad look having a
former coach that tainted his legacy with some pretty damning things back at UK.

Not going to pretend it was a "Madness never seen before", actually it was one of the worst. The dunk contest was pretty embarrassing.

I hope I am wrong, but it is my opinion. No way shape or form meant to shit on coach Pope or the team, he did the best he could replacing a whole roster in a short period of time. I am just being honest in my opinion of what I believe.

• Haha
Reactions: Wonky
I have to admit, I was a big Cal fan when he was first hired and his first 10 years or so were really fun, along with winning a title and hopes of getting another. But, I was ready for Cal to go the past 5 years and was tired of his coach speak, hearing the same old thing on the radio after games. It was time for him and UK to part ways. I don't hate the guy but I'm happy he's gone. Pope has regenerated all the excitement we used to feel about Kentucky basketball and I sure hope he succeeds. He is a true Cat himself and seems like a super quality person as well. Can't wait for the season and the Pope era to begin.

Even with all of RP’s dirty laundry, he’s still more respected in the coaching community than Calipari. You know why?! Because the man can actually coach, from the bench.

RP brought UK back from the ashes of probation. Not many coaches would’ve taken that job. Certainly not any elite coaches. RP did us an absolute solid!

Not going to pretend it was a "Madness never seen before", actually it was one of the worst. The dunk contest was pretty embarrassing.
Good. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that I could care less about than a silly madness dunk contest. That stuff stopped being entertaining years ago.

I'm all for less focus on that extraneous nonsense and more on winning actual games.

Calipari should have retired. His style and roster formation just doesn’t work now. I figure one of the main reasons he has kept coaching is Brad.

He became the exact coach he didn’t want to become when he first came. I will remember him reviving the program, some good memories and what he did for tornado and earthquake victims.

But I will totally lukewarm when he comes as a rival coach. I figure he has 3-5 years left in him before he’s done. I feel like he hurt his legacy some staying in-conference and taking so many players, but whatever. He recruits to the University of Calipari.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Calipari should have retired. His style and roster formation just doesn’t work now. I figure one of the main reasons he has kept coaching is Brad.

He became the exact coach he didn’t want to become when he first came. I will remember him reviving the program, some good memories and what he did for tornado and earthquake victims.

But I will totally lukewarm when he comes as a rival coach. I figure he has 3-5 years left in him before he’s done. I feel like he hurt his legacy some staying in-conference and taking so many players, but whatever. He recruits to the University of Calipari.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIPARI!! That is the best way to describe him.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Gotta agree with the folks saying it was one of the better days I’ve had this year. We got out program back the day he left. The program that we all love with every bit of our soul. We have it back and it’s going to be better than ever.

Good. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that I could care less about than a silly madness dunk contest. That stuff stopped being entertaining years ago.

I'm all for less focus on that extraneous nonsense and more on winning actual games.
The point of the dunk contest being embarrassing had nothing to do with the actual dunk contest. It had more to do with being athletic, jumping ability. If you do not think those 2 things will be important on offense and defense in the physical, talented SEC, then I do not know what to tell you. I agree with you, dunking contest got stale years ago, but I did not see a lot of athleticism watching it. At some point and time, quickness and ability to guard your man and create your own shots will come into play, I hope I am wrong, but those things appear to be a weakness of this team. I fear that this team will rely way too much on shooting 3's. There is a reason there is a saying "live by the 3, die by the 3". I am not saying we will not have a good year, but I am not one who looks at everything with blue tinted glasses on. This team is not perfect, it has flaws, to think differently is simply burying your head in the sand. What happens when teams run UK off the 3 point line ? Who takes over and can get to the rim and be physical and score ? Robinson, but who else ?

So bringing out a bunch of the players from past title teams was "one of the worst" for you? Dunk contests have gotten stale at all levels. There's only so many things you can do in 40 seconds and then hit it. Especially at the collegiate level.

Man, some people will just be negative about ANYTHING.

Yeah, we've got a lot of questions to answer and stuff to prove. But just for one damn night, couldn't have a little bit of fun?

So bringing out a bunch of the players from past title teams was "one of the worst" for you? Dunk contests have gotten stale at all levels. There's only so many things you can do in 40 seconds and then hit it. Especially at the collegiate level.

Man, some people will just be negative about ANYTHING.

Yeah, we've got a lot of questions to answer and stuff to prove. But just for one damn night, couldn't have a little bit of fun?
I said dunk contest everywhere has gotten stale, but did you see ONE dunk that looked impressive ? It was embarrassing, more misses than makes. And what part of my post where is said "I enjoyed all of the 90's throw backs" did you not comprehend? I am not being negative, I so much as said the exact thing you did in the two things you mentioned. You are just wanting to ignore the facts and wear your blue glasses and pretend this team is PERFECT. Go ahead, think 40-0, #9, blah blah blah. Just do not turn on them when you realize they are going to have short comings and setbacks t times this year. Myself, I can be both positive and critical. I call it like I see it if you will (without my blue glasses on).

The production, product on the floor was far from "A Madness you have never seen before" as it was billed as. Good thing they had all of the former players there, otherwise it might have been THE worst Madness ever. Guess you got a woody seeing the floor also ? WHOO HOO, looky there, I glass floor, that changes graphics. Myself I care about the PRODUCT on the floor, not the floor. But you go ahead and prop up the team using gimmicks and hoopla to sell the team, myself, the Blue / White game will be much more interesting to me. IF it is actually a look behind the curtain to what the team will actually be.

• Haha
Reactions: SemperFiCat

Glad to hear you finally saw the light I saw it after the 2015 season realized he could not coach and Kentucky was all smoke and mirrors with the shitshow maestro at the helm

• Love
Reactions: Wildcatjedi
I said dunk contest everywhere has gotten stale, but did you see ONE dunk that looked impressive ? It was embarrassing, more misses than makes. And what part of my post where is said "I enjoyed all of the 90's throw backs" did you not comprehend? I am not being negative, I so much as said the exact thing you did in the two things you mentioned. You are just wanting to ignore the facts and wear your blue glasses and pretend this team is PERFECT. Go ahead, think 40-0, #9, blah blah blah. Just do not turn on them when you realize they are going to have short comings and setbacks t times this year. Myself, I can be both positive and critical. I call it like I see it if you will (without my blue glasses on).

The production, product on the floor was far from "A Madness you have never seen before" as it was billed as. Good thing they had all of the former players there, otherwise it might have been THE worst Madness ever. Guess you got a woody seeing the floor also ? WHOO HOO, looky there, I glass floor, that changes graphics. Myself I care about the PRODUCT on the floor, not the floor. But you go ahead and prop up the team using gimmicks and hoopla to sell the team, myself, the Blue / White game will be much more interesting to me. IF it is actually a look behind the curtain to what the team will actually be.

You say you aren’t being negative but your tone is the exact opposite. 40-0? Hyperbole much? I’ve never said that and I don’t think anyone else with a brain has either.

Prop up the team using gimmicks? Geez did someone come by and piss in your food this morning? My goodness.

And I would but the Blue White game will not be on TV anywhere. So have fun with that.

Personally I’m cautiously optimistic and enjoyed the bit of fresh air for the past dull Madnessess. It’s the man’s first year. As long as he doesn’t pull a say…9-15, Ill survive.

You aren't supposed to see a product nor production. It's a freaking introductory pep rally. There are plenty of YouTubes and interviews with Pope and about his system if you want to deep dive. Madness has never been anything other than a fun night. We all had fun. ....well, almost all. They've already been busting their assess. Let the players and the fans just have a night of fun. Lordy.

No matter one’s feelings on Cal’s departure it was time for him to go.

Mark Pope is the perfect coach at this moment in time to heal the program.

Barney gets a lot of things wrong.

He got this right.

Pope coaches just like he played. He gives everything he has.

And he has plenty.

He’s smart and he’s still open to learning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT