ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino tournament struggles?

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
For the "best coach alive" as they call him, why has he struggled in the tourney so much at UofL?

9 times in his 16 seasons there there have not made it past the first weekend. 3 first round exits, 3 second round exits, 2 NIT appearances, and 1 stripper induced miss. Calipari in 8 years at Kentucky has made it past the first weekend 6 times in 8 seasons. Pitino only 7 times in 16 seasons.

For all the good recruits, facilities, and being the #1 revenue program in the country you'd think he could do better right? In 2009, they had the #1 overall seed with 2 lottery picks and got embarrassed in the Sweet 16 by Michigan State.

How come the nation and our fans hold Cal to such a higher standard than "the greatest coach in the nation?" For that big of a salary Rick gets, I'd expect more than getting past the first weekend less than 50% of time.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Pitino has guided the Cardinals to the NCAA Tournament in 12 of 15 seasons, reaching the Elite Eight six times and the Final Four three times (2005, 2012, and 2013). His teams have won six conference tournament championships and four regular season titles.

Directly from the wiki. Idk where you got your info from.
And that is pathetic. Two of the final fours don't count because his staff cheated to get players. One legit final four in 16 years is a total joke. You are counting Elite 8s the same years he went to the final fours which is wrong. The majority of the time he either didn't make the tournament or can't get out of the first weekend. He also hasn't won a game in the ACC tournament. He has been a total fraud at UL.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Pitino's staff hired hookers to help with recruiting. I don't care what level of success or failure he has had. His staff hired hookers to help with recruiting.

The right people are going to the NCAA about this.

Did someone want to know where I got my information?

16 seasons, 9 times they did not play past the first weekend, and 7 times they did get past that weekend(3 final fours, 3 elite 8's, and Sweet 16 in 2014)

ADVERTISEMENT