ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim says…….

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
“Shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Mitch Barnhart didn't go into the NCAA Tournament planning on a coaching change, and as disappointed as he was by the loss, he didn't go into the weekend expecting to fire John Calipari, either. Even if he wanted to, the department just didn't have $33 million to throw away, certainly not with so much tied up to other projects and long-term commitments. Just made it a non-starter.

And then the backlash continued to build into the weekend, specifically on the boosters' side. Loud and important voices expressed their displeasure with the current trajectory of the program under Coach Cal and demanded change, many putting their money where their mouths are in hopes of forcing Barnhart's hand. The pressure was very real and it opened the door to a reevaluation where questions of who could be a clear upgrade and how much would it cost were asked. At the end of the day, there just wasn't a guy Barnhart felt could do this job better than Calipari who -- and this was the big one -- also wouldn't do more harm than good money-wise for the entire department. Because it wasn't just the $33 million buyout, it was also buying out the replacement, paying that coach a top-dollar salary, then building out their staff with top-dollar assistants. Without being absolutely certain you had the guy in hand with confidence Calipari couldn't do this anymore, they felt it would be financially irresponsible to pay him to simply go away when those dollars could be better used elsewhere.

But it was considered, probably for the first time since he arrived here. And it's something Barnhart knows he needs to monitor moving forward considering he signed off on the deal to begin with. At the end of the day, those financial concerns fall back on him, and he knows that.”

The Reeves stuff we know now is true. With Mitch insisting on NIL changes and the new public fund that leads me to believe NIL running out of money is real. I have a hard time believing this team got in a fist fight at halftime but who knows.

Edit: The fight has been confirmed by multiple people.

Last edited:
LOL he’s a damn idiot! All we heard was from them was “moneys not an issue” blah blah blah. And I don’t believe for a second that it was an issue. His job never was in jeopardy. Why people keep listening to those KSR morons is beyond me.

This is what someone asked Jack in the KSR board and his response along with it….

Jack- So….anything happen at halftime of the Oakland game you can share?
“Frustration boils over in tense situations. It’s basketball. Heated argument, but every team every year has them“

Who was involved in the fist fight in the locker room? That would be interesting to know

So there were clearly tensions among the team before that night, and the game was basically over at the half.

Sure sounds like we have some bigger problems among the staff and within this team. I'd guess some players were as confused and upset with lineups as much as we are.

“Shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Mitch Barnhart didn't go into the NCAA Tournament planning on a coaching change, and as disappointed as he was by the loss, he didn't go into the weekend expecting to fire John Calipari, either. Even if he wanted to, the department just didn't have $33 million to throw away, certainly not with so much tied up to other projects and long-term commitments. Just made it a non-starter.

And then the backlash continued to build into the weekend, specifically on the boosters' side. Loud and important voices expressed their displeasure with the current trajectory of the program under Coach Cal and demanded change, many putting their money where their mouths are in hopes of forcing Barnhart's hand. The pressure was very real and it opened the door to a reevaluation where questions of who could be a clear upgrade and how much would it cost were asked. At the end of the day, there just wasn't a guy Barnhart felt could do this job better than Calipari who -- and this was the big one -- also wouldn't do more harm than good money-wise for the entire department. Because it wasn't just the $33 million buyout, it was also buying out the replacement, paying that coach a top-dollar salary, then building out their staff with top-dollar assistants. Without being absolutely certain you had the guy in hand with confidence Calipari couldn't do this anymore, they felt it would be financially irresponsible to pay him to simply go away when those dollars could be better used elsewhere.

But it was considered, probably for the first time since he arrived here. And it's something Barnhart knows he needs to monitor moving forward considering he signed off on the deal to begin with. At the end of the day, those financial concerns fall back on him, and he knows that.”
This what I kinda suspected all long.

Too much money when you consider everything, no home run out there.

What I want to know is what was said in Tuesday’s meeting.

I was telling you all this verbatim since last week.

Sounds like a cancer in the Men's Basketball program. Issues with NIL, Coaches, drama around player handlers etc. Worse than I thought but I am not surprised. If this stuff is true, it just goes to show Mitch is incompetent and needs to be replaced. Also, if this is true unless it gets worse based upon Mitch's thoughts going into this weekend and the fact the University doesn't have the money to pay off Cal's huge contract it just ensures that we not only have Cal back for next year but probably at least 2 more years unless Mitch is replaced. Let that sink in.

We better hope this is BS or the problems are much worse than we thought.

No idea if any of that is true, and the players really seemed to enjoy each other.

But this era is insane, I'd rather gouge my eyes out than have to deal w/ what coaches deal with now.

• Rerecruit players on your roster every year so they don't transfer
  • Dealing with players demanding money
  • Setting up and managing NIL collectives and all that entails
  • Prima donna players that have had smoke blown up their ass about how good they are, which isn't new, but now add on top of it they have agents.
  • Will-they-stay-or-will-they-go NBA decisions that drag out all spring long in an era where securing the best portal players is probably the single best way to acquire talent.
  • Then the normal off season recruiting of freshmen and portal players on top of it.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff too but yikes, the amount of extra bullshit piled on coaches now is crazy.

I'm purely speculating here. But I have to imagine some of this was forcing DJ and Edwards out there time and time again.
I can only imagine a player like Bob Dillingham, who is on his way to a $25mil nba rookie contract, thinking "wtf are we doing here?"

Not surprised this team never seemed to play all that well together. No defensive communication or awareness. Players not on the same page in the offense.

Really wish DJ just went to Louisville. I bet a lot of this is avoided. Heck maybe even Edwards, too. But again, I'm speculating. Maybe it was Adou fighting with Ugo for all we know.

Long story short - Mitch has absolutely screwed Kentucky basketball.

I have said for years that he’s done the least with the most of any UK AD in history.

Chin Coleman, as many have known for quite sometime, is a sketchy guy that likes to act like a college kid himself ( you can catch him on weekends)

Calipari has been actively trying to get his people wealthy before he retires, and I do think this blew up bigger than he thought it would so we’ll see some slight adjustments to that. Chin Coleman, Chuck Martin, and Bruiser Flint should have never been allowed to coach at UK. This was about making his friends wealthy before he went out and nothing more.

Calipari doesn’t care about winning, this was a con job and a money grab while he had the time. He just didn’t realize how bad it would get. Calipari retired some years ago and remained in control to continue to build wealth for his people.

I'm purely speculating here. But I have to imagine some of this was forcing DJ and Edwards out there time and time again.
I can only imagine a player like Bob Dillingham, who is on his way to a $25mil nba rookie contract, thinking "wtf are we doing here?"

Not surprised this team never seemed to play all that well together. No defensive communication or awareness. Players not on the same page in the offense.

Really wish DJ just went to Louisville. I bet a lot of this is avoided. Heck maybe even Edwards, too. But again, I'm speculating. Maybe it was Adou fighting with Ugo for all we know.
You know we go through something like this every year now and it used to not be like that. But it seems like there are so many issues behind the scenes and they haven’t been fixed and it probably won’t be fixed.

Reactions: Catfan2226
I guess the part about being gifted $52 million by the SEC Network every year should private privileged information going forward yea?

Bunch of shit. You're going to watch him lose 10 games before the SEC regular season's over. Then he's going to lose in the first or second game of the tournament. If he makes the tournament.

And then finally we're going to fire Mitch barnhart and we're going to fire John Calipari at the same damn time.
Bet on that.

so in my opinion we should be celebratin' the news that he's coming back cuz we're going to get rid of them both at the same time!!!
Hot damn.
364 days to go...
We been down the 365 days and the end road before!
We win championships after coaching changes every time.

Last edited:
The Reeves stuff we know now is true. With Mitch insisting on NIL changes and the new public fund that leads me to believe NIL running out of money is real. I have a hard time believing this team got in a fist fight at halftime but who knows.
It's a shame Calipari is so greedy.

If I made $10 million a year off UK (that's 6.5 million take home), and an additional $3 to 4 million off interest investments (if he's invested his $50 million net worth halfway reasonably at all), I'm sitting at $9.5 to $10 million post-tax compensation.

Take $1.5 million of that and put it into the NIL fund through some third party. It would be worth it for me to win games and solidify my legacy.

Calipari is too greedy to make moves like that. He wants to keep as much money as possible, and not sacrifice for the program. It doesn't work that way.

Yeah, been saying, as well as others.

You're not firing Cal for an "up and comer" who's been to a couple Sweet 16s. How many of those guys actually pan out to upper tier P5 or blue blood standards.

Dozens of guys a year are hot names. They turn a fleggling program around, win a conference title, make a run in the dance...had a nice winning percentage at a mid major. Get hired to a P5, and they're never heard of again, most likely get the boot.

The risk is just too much. If you fire Cal, then in 2-3 years you have to fire the next guy and pay two coaches not to coach then go hire a third. Nobody wants that, the caliber of guy you can afford with two guys still on the pay roll greatly diminishes.

Hopefully if everyone from brass to big boosters is so pissed off they just grabbed Cal by his ears and said "listen here M'fer this is what is going down for the remainder of your contract..."

You know we go through something like this every year now and it used to not be like that. But it seems like there are so many issues behind the scenes and they haven’t been fixed and it probably won’t be fixed.

I have ALWAYS been amazed we don't have more roster turmoil, simply for how much we use 1AD recruiting. I'm sure some goes unmentioned, some gets squashed.. bit I'm not shocked at all that this team had problems. We've never quite seen thus level of lineup inefficiency, and the players probably saw it first hand, every day.

Who was involved in the fist fight in the locker room? That would be interesting to know
Yeah, I'm skeptical on this one. If KSR/Pilgrim had actually said this on X, we'd have seen it here the second it was posted. Yet now is the first time we hear of this supposed Pilgrim posting?

And three coaches running around screwing the team, players and the school? Seems like Cal did just let them operate freely. Maybe he needs to reign them back in (except for the actual COACHING part - leave that to those that know what they're doing).

Sounds like a cancer in the Men's Basketball program. Issues with NIL, Coaches, drama around player handlers etc. Worse than I thought but I am not surprised. If this stuff is true, it just goes to show Mitch is incompetent and needs to be replaced. Also, if this is true unless it gets worse based upon Mitch's thoughts going into this weekend and the fact the University doesn't have the money to pay off Cal's huge contract it just ensures that we not only have Cal back for next year but probably at least 2 more years unless Mitch is replaced. Let that sink in.
Goodness. "Cancer"? "Worse than you thought?"

It's probably just the standard BS that all programs go through. The NIL fiasco and this supposed NCAA investigation and certain coaches leaking to KSR people but no one else - yeah, that's ridiculous. But we already knew the handler situations were and have always been going on since Cal arrived. That's a cancer all over college basketball that I'm sure every P5 coach is having to deal with.

I'm not at all saying there aren't issues and they start with Calipari. But to call it a "cancer" and then go on to create even more teeth to this situation than are there is just being overly dramatic.

No idea if any of that is true, and the players really seemed to enjoy each other.

But this era is insane, I'd rather gouge my eyes out than have to deal w/ what coaches deal with now.

• Rerecruit players on your roster every year so they don't transfer
  • Dealing with players demanding money
  • Setting up and managing NIL collectives and all that entails
  • Prima donna players that have had smoke blown up their ass about how good they are, which isn't new, but now add on top of it they have agents.
  • Will-they-stay-or-will-they-go NBA decisions that drag out all spring long in an era where securing the best portal players is probably the single best way to acquire talent.
  • Then the normal off season recruiting of freshmen and portal players on top of it.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff too but yikes, the amount of extra bullshit piled on coaches now is crazy.
And now we know why Jay Wright said "nope, see ya".

Reactions: Lempface
at an arm-length viewpoint, I wouldn't be surprised if Chin is frustrated.

What coach on that bench wouldn't be given the coaching incompetence being shown here?

you have guys on the internet breaking down the film better than what is being done in the program now

Yeah, I'm skeptical on this one. If KSR/Pilgrim had actually said this on X, we'd have seen it here the second it was posted. Yet now is the first time we hear of this supposed Pilgrim posting?

And three coaches running around screwing the team, players and the school? Seems like Cal did just let them operate freely. Maybe he needs to reign them back in (except for the actual COACHING part - leave that to those that know what they're doing).
Pilgrim did address it on the KSR board and I posted the response above also. Said something like “tensions sometime boil over, it happens with every team”

Aren't we already paying top-dollar assistants but according to some they aren't working literally so that money is already budgeted. Is Mitch not working since you would think he already had a list?

Is anyone working at the University of Kentucky basketball office? Not Cal, the assistants, Mitch. Sounds like everyone is asleep at the wheel while Bill Self has already been thinking about next season for weeks and he's just had one bad season.

Reactions: Fox2monk and KFuqua
Matt Jones just said on his show we will have a new defensive coach next year. Seems Chin is being fired for sure along with several others behind the scene from what Matt has said today. To be clear he didn't say Chin was being fired he said "We will have a new defensive coach next year". Chin is clearly an issue I hope every single person not doing their job is fired. We are stuck with Cal lets hope we can put enough good pieces around him to cover up his lack of coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT