ADVERTISEMENT

Photo of Willis' ankle

Why does any basketball player play in low top shoes? Willis has the choice of any shoe he wants and he picked those? High tops all the way and you don't have to worry about as many turns.

I sprained my ankle in December of 2010, torn ligaments and all. It took several weeks to get back to normal, we'll it really never got back to before injury condition. But, the funny part was I had just got my confidence back in it when we were going into the NCAA tournament. But, when Brandon Knight hit the shot against OSU, I jumped up and when I landed I rolled it again. It didn't hurt as much as the first time, but it still hurt. I couldn't help but start laughing as I rolled on the ground in pain though, with the thought of a grown man injuring himself over a college basketball game.

I hope Willis gets back fast. He is greatly needed.

Nasty looking sprain, but what I'm amazed by is the fact no one has mentioned the FREAKISHLY LONG FINGERS HE HAS FOR TOES! Are toes supposed to have that many knuckles?
Derek doesn't have any future as a foot model that's for sure. Big feet are never very attractive. I wear a size 16 and my wife makes fun of my feet all the time.

Nasty looking sprain, but what I'm amazed by is the fact no one has mentioned the FREAKISHLY LONG FINGERS HE HAS FOR TOES! Are toes supposed to have that many knuckles?
Yeah, he doesn't wear socks , he wears gloves.

Any PT's on the board?
Never knew Rupp Rafters had so many D1 coaches and Dr's........

The only thing stopping UK is injuries. Sucks because you know many opposing fans are loving it.

If UK doesn't win it all this year, I hope Nova or OU do. UNC doesn't deserve a shot and Duke and Kansas have rosters filled with pampered douche bags.

Incorrect. The grade of an ankle sprain can usually be diagnosed just by looking at it and doing palpation testing. Since none of us can actually touch his foot the palpating doesn't apply. But with that amount of swelling and that slight bit of discoloration that soon pretty much guarantees he's out a couple weeks at least unless he's got the healing powers of Superman. The protocol and standard healing times for those injuries are pretty universal.

Mid-March is the start of the tournament. That gives Willis 3 1/2 weeks to make his comeback. Do you think he could play by then?

Really feel bad for Willis. He had his offensive game figured out and was really trying on the defensive side. This sets him back significantly. Stamina will take a hit as well as lateral movement. Not much left to say really. Just bad.

Bilas said during the game last night he saw Poytress at walk-thru and he couldn't really move. Hard to believe he could contribute much for quite awhile. Best scenario for UK is to go 2-2 over the next 4 games, win a game or two in the SEC tourney and hope for the best. The bad thing is the tournament committee takes injuries into account when seeding teams. Not in a good way either. If Poy and Willis are not back by Selection Sunday, expect a 6-8 seed.

2-2 and 2-1 in SEC Tourney would put UK at 24-10. I think they'd get a 6 or 7. No way the committee puts them as an 8 and screws over a 1 seed again. Not after the backlash they received in 2014.

Plus, they haven't warranted an 8 seed.

Last edited:
Have had the same injury. It will be at least 2-3 weeks. UK will have the latest state of the art type stuff. Could be back sooner. I remember Jeff Shpepard had a bad one in the SEC tourney and was back for the NCAA tourney.

I feel sorry for the other player you landed on. The foot in this picture is attached to a whale's body. How much do you eat ? Seriously, when you're with patients how far away is your 48-ounce soda and box of cheez-its?

WTF? Why did you need to be an @sshole? Why? I feel sorry for people who have to work and be around people like you.

Reactions: wildcatstyle
Man this is BS. Why does our GOOD players keep getting injured? This year alone its been Poythress, Willis, Lee, Briscoe, Hawkins, and Ulis if y'all remember that game against South Florida. Let him heal til the SEC tourney and if he's doing a lot better give him a handful of Oxycodone's and let him play. If he reinjures it he'll have a full offseason to heal up 100%.. We HAVE to have him if we wanna make a big tourney run or have a shot at 9. And Humphries needs ALL of Skal's minutes. This should be our rotation in the tourney.

Ulis
Briscoe
Murray
Willis
Lee

Humphries
Poythress
Hawkins

Then Skal and Mathews sit on the pine where they belong. Humphries needs to be playing 22-25 mins a game.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Right on the money here. Sheppard's ankle was MUCH worse and he was playing in a week. With the medical attention he will receive he will only miss a few games in my opinion.

Agree with this. Sheppard had unsung 1998 hero Fast Eddie Jamiel. Guy gave Sheppard ankle massages every 4 hours, waking up at 2 AM to rub it down while Jeff slept. My guess is Cal has a team of student managers moving that thing through its range of motion throughout the night every night until the SEC tournament.

Last edited:
I would think so. Just depends on how he heals.

Studies show wearing high top vs low top shoes doesn't make a difference in preventing ankle sprains. No shoe is gonna give enough support to an ankle to prevent it from inverting enough to cause a sprain while still allowing healthy and non painful freedom of movement. We read a study about this in PT school but I can't remember the name of it. Taping doesn't even do much after about 10 minutes of running.

Good to know! You just taught me something critical! I'm a running and a lowly trained medic. I've been advising people to tape for years, didn't realize it didn't help. I defer to you sir.

It doesn't hurt to tape. Just after the tape gets loose, and it does after roughly 10 mins, it doesn't provide anymore support. Just how it is.
Makes sense from a mechanics perspective. What about those strapped ankle braces?

Many of us at one time or another have sprained an ankle but what no one has said is that some people heal quicker than others. Let's hope Willis can heal quickly and be ready when we need him. The sooner the better.

UK could slide a few spots when it comes to seeding, but can you imagine being a top seed and having to play a healthy UK team coming together right in time for the tournament?

UK is going to be one of the only non 1 seeds that everyone hopes they don't have in their region.

Reactions: Cats192
Is it safe to say that Kentucky has been the most injured team this year, maybe aside from Duke? Just un-EFFING-believable.. 4 years in a row now with substantial injuries.

Reactions: JustinSphere
WTF? Why did you need to be an @sshole? Why? I feel sorry for people who have to work and be around people like you.

Because a few days ago he (the whale) was bragging in the "fart etiquette" thread that at least once a day he intentionally makes sure to rip an air turd on the elevator in the hospital where he works, the more victims the better according to him. At first I didn't believe it, but after seeing evidence of his diet I'm convinced. So whatever. Ride to the emotional rescue of our neighborhood, 400 lb. physical therapist, who likes to sh*t on elevators in hospitals in front of women and children. His computer keyboard is probably an orange glow from cheeto residue.

So sure, feel sorry for the people who work with me, all 5-11 inches and 170 pounds worth, who would never in a million years intentionally fart around anybody, much less in an elevator, and for god's sake never in a hospital.

@Son_Of_Saul

I hate to say it but I'd put Duke there to. If they get healthy, if they get guys like Thornton, Jones and Jefferson back, they'll be dangerous no matter what seed they are. I was very impressed with how they played at UofL with how much was stacked against them.

Now, if you'll excuse me, going to throw up right now.

Because a few days ago he (the whale) was bragging in the "fart etiquette" thread that at least once a day he intentionally makes sure to rip an air turd on the elevator in the hospital where he works, the more victims the better according to him. At first I didn't believe it, but after seeing evidence of his diet I'm convinced. So whatever. Ride to the emotional rescue of our neighborhood, 400 lb. physical therapist, who likes to sh*t on elevators in hospitals in front of women and children. His computer keyboard is probably an orange glow from cheeto residue.

So sure, feel sorry for the people who work with me, all 5-11 inches and 170 pounds worth, who would never in a million years intentionally fart around anybody, much less in an elevator, and for god's sake never in a hospital.

A lot of people may not believe about the paper bag and vinegar treatment but it does help. Vinegar has many healing wonders.
I used that treatment a few times many years ago. It seemed to work well for me. Thanks. Go Cats!!

image.jpg
This is going to be a blessing in disguise. Willis will have time to get the rest he was wanting and we will have Humphries and Skal having to play more minutes to get better. By the time Willis returns, he should be fresh and ready to go. The way he twisted his ankle often happens to players who are tired. Well, he'll get some rest now.

You can't just look at this picture and say he'll be out for the season. I had a pretty bad sprain years ago and when it happened I thought I shattered my ankle. My ankle and foot were black with bruising, much worse than the bruising in the picture above. If I still had a picture of it I would post it. Anyway, I couldn't walk for 3 days, but was back 95% with a ankle brace the next game just a week later. Just needs a lot of ice and treatment, he'll be back in a week. The sky hasn't fallen yet folks.

Well, that's two weeks in the rack, at least. Maybe four. Best case, we see him in the SEC tourney. Worst case, the second week of the NCAA. Don't know if he's sprained that ankle before. If so, then could be quicker.

Y'all pardon if my little stalker boy comes along. Sort'a like mangy kitten. He's harmless.
I bet you love seeing Willis hurt like that .

Reactions: Wildcat22Fan
I also injured mine like that playing ball. Came down with a rebound on an opponent's foot. My right ankle turned every color there was to turn. Looked like a baseball was sewn under the skin. I couldn't wear shoes for 3 days, was gimpy for a week and playing on it (gingerly) in 10 days. It wasn't completely right for months, but the pain was tolerable after those 10 days. That stiffness, though ....(I didn't have round the clock treatment)

I hope Derek recovers quickly. We need his production because we're down 10 ppg and a 40 percent 3-point shooter. .

None of us have the 24-7 attention by medical staff that DW will have. They will probably come to his classes to attach electrodes and whatnots to his his ankle to speed recovery. So I'd bet that he is back more quickly than any of us would imagine. It all boils down to how bad it really was and how quickly he heals. We can all use our own ankles as a reference point but that probably has nothing to do with DW at the end of the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT