ADVERTISEMENT

Photo of Willis' ankle

Aligned_for_9

Sophomore
Apr 3, 2012
image.jpg

Hours 24-72 are absolutely brutal with that type of injury. It's a pretty low sprain, so hopefully he can get back in a few weeks.

Ugh, don't like the caption he wrote with it.. he was probably told a break would heal faster

That looks worse than terrible but it's not a high ankle issue and I've rolled my ankle before and it swelled just like that. Nasty looking injury and I'm sure it hurt like hell but I don't think it will cost him more than one game. I'm no expert at all, I just know the swelling can go back down really quick. He's pretty beat up..... hope he can push through all of his issues.

Well I'd say he is done for the season with that picture. Take a good 4 weeks to heal maybe more. Even then it'll be extremely sensitive to re-injury.

There goes the season right there unless a miracle happens with other players imo. WE NEEDED HIM badly.

Well I'd say he is done for the season with that picture. Take a good 4 weeks to heal maybe more. Even then it'll be extremely sensitive to re-injury.

There goes the season right there unless a miracle happens with other players imo. WE NEEDED HIM badly.

I think the first part of your post is right, but the second sentence is probably a bit of an overreaction. We still have games to play.

Prediction...he plays again before Alex.

Reactions: Ghettobird
been there done that....like 10 times

That's what the ER doc told me on my worst one. Granted I didn't get the daily professional training he will get! But was on crutches for 1 week, walking boot for 2 more, and was another month before I could play rec hoops with an ankle brace.

Just when this team is coming together and starting to show signs of a team that can make a deep run......Feels like we are just snake bit sometimes.

Reactions: Brando Mac
That's what the ER doc told me on my worst one. Granted I didn't get the daily professional training he will get! But was on crutches for 1 week, walking boot for 2 more, and was another month before I could play rec hoops with an ankle brace.
Mine.., got tx with the athletes at uksportsmed.
Boot for three days, brace for about a week or so. I was able to play again (limited, pickup ball) about three days after that.
I still wasn't able to rehab as much as the real athletes (I was in grad school at the time and lived far from campus)

Not a doc, but dealt with my own and my son's ankles many times. I'm betting he plays again BEFORE the conference tournament...unless it is not needed.

RICE = Rest...Ice...Compression...Elevation + whirlpool + electro-doo-dad stimulus thingee.

I feel so bad for Derek. He was finally getting major minutes and was really playing well. I hope he can get back out on the court soon.

Reactions: mcbarrycat
From age 15-22, I probably did that 15 times. They are usually not nearly as bad as they seem at first. I would be back playing within a week or two.

It IS much easier to roll them again if you don't let them heal all the way. Common sense, I suppose.

I would be pretty surprised if he misses the tournament. Unfortunately, this may take a chunk out of our seeding.

We are looking more and more like a 4/5 seed who is actually a top 5 team if healthy.

I'm thinking Duke in the second round, Kansas in the Sweet Sixteen?

Half joking...

Sheppard looked much, much worse -- hell, he had a high ankle sprain and his entire leg below the knee was black and blue. He played a week later.

I had several bad ankle sprains when I played ball, and that doesn't look worse than what I can remember in teh hours immediately after one. The swelling can go down pretty fast. No predictions on when he will play, but I think the more negative posters on this thread are way off.

Sheppard looked much, much worse -- hell, he had a high ankle sprain and his entire leg below the knee was black and blue. He played a week later.

I had several bad ankle sprains when I played ball, and that doesn't look worse than what I can remember in teh hours immediately after one. The swelling can go down pretty fast. No predictions on when he will play, but I think the more negative posters on this thread are way off.

Right on the money here. Sheppard's ankle was MUCH worse and he was playing in a week. With the medical attention he will receive he will only miss a few games in my opinion.

I'd bet it depends on whether there is ligament damage or not. I had an ankle like that and had torn a ligament loose. The bone chips that that created still hurt from time to time. I wasn't allowed to put weight on it for 6 weeks. I had many a sprained ankle that looked like that but I just toughed them out in a few weeks but I doubt had as severe ligament damage. The extra treatment he'll get will help speed that up if there isn't bad ligament damage.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I played on my ankle like that. But also I didn't have millions possibly on the line. I just loved to win. And I was a coaches son so I was always told unless it was broken then your playing. My dad played in state championship game with all ligaments torn. But hopefully Willis can get this healed up and be back ready to go.

He'll be fine. As mentioned 100 times, the good news is it's a low sprain. It hurts like hell every time, but you would be hard pressed to find a basketball player that this hasn't happened to. He'll be back before the Vandy game, maybe the LSU game, if I had to guess.

ADVERTISEMENT