ADVERTISEMENT

Photo of Willis' ankle

If Willis reads this, he has my sympathy. The worst sprain I ever had was like a mosquito bite in comparison. Get well, soon, guy.

I'd bet it depends on whether there is ligament damage or not. I had an ankle like that and had torn a ligament loose. The bone chips that that created still hurt from time to time. I wasn't allowed to put weight on it for 6 weeks. I had many a sprained ankle that looked like that but I just toughed them out in a few weeks but I doubt had as severe ligament damage. The extra treatment he'll get will help speed that up if there isn't bad ligament damage.

I tore ligaments like that in my foot myself a few years back. The pain is just awful and I couldn't walk without crutches for almost 2 months. I hope he didn't have any ligament damage either.

An olé school remedy is a brown paper bag and vinegar, every 20 mins, swelling will go down. Don't know about the pain what they are allowed to take for it maybe Tylenol, then for every game get it taped.
Thanks da CATS rocks. I had forgotten about the brown paper bag and vinegar treatments. Go Cats!!

Damn .. Just Damn .. there goes his future as a foot model . " Those toes " as my wife said LOL

Had the same exact injury as Derek twice. One time it took me about 3 weeks to a month to get back moving correctly, & the 2nd time I was good in 5-6 days (think it was just a reinjury of the same one.) But ankles are the worst at first, be sure the training staff is all over it.

Reactions: da CATS rocks
UK will be in trouble without him. Luckily, we get a game at home to play and adjust without him. We can't afford to lose any other games or our seeding will suffer. I don't see UK doing much of anything without Poythress or Willis.

Reactions: madison1329
Had the same exact injury as Derek twice. One time it took me about 3 weeks to a month to get back moving correctly, & the 2nd time I was good in 5-6 days (think it was just a reinjury of the same one.) But ankles are the worst at first, be sure the training staff is all over it.

This is actually really important. We can't tell from a picture how serious it actually is, even though it obviously looks horrific. I rolled mine really badly once and heard it pop. I could put weight on it again fairly soon, but it also lingered for a really long time.

I think it's safe to say that he isn't playing on Tuesday, but after that it's anyone's guess. Could be back by next Saturday, or could be out for a few weeks. I'm sure he will want to get back out there as soon as he can to help his team. He will also be getting constant treatment. So, let's not catastrophize just yet.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

That's what the ER doc told me on my worst one. Granted I didn't get the daily professional training he will get! But was on crutches for 1 week, walking boot for 2 more, and was another month before I could play rec hoops with an ankle brace.
My experience was the same as yours

Just when this team is coming together and starting to show signs of a team that can make a deep run......Feels like we are just snake bit sometimes.
even the humphries thing happened in his best game, three seconds after he made the play of the game that in likelyhood gives us a w. and willis... there was no one even around. the guy is in perfect shape and that happens. just ridiculous.

With that much swelling and discoloration that quick it's probably a grade 2 sprain. He'll have x-rays taken to rule out a fracture also, but it's gonna be way worse today and tomorrow. If it's a grade 2, he's probably out 2-3 weeks at a minimum.

So in your opinion, given there is no fracture, worst case he is out a maximum of what?

Had sprains like that many times while playing ball. One year I rolled it and it looked like that within 5 minutes. It was in early Jan. Was on crutches for 2 weeks and tried to play again 2 weeks later. Within 5 min I had rolled it again and my teammates were carrying me to the locker room. Doc told me I had basketball ankles and would be with me the rest of my life.
He was right for the most part, I could step on a rock and twist my ankle it had no strength whatso ever. That injury ended my playing days. High top shoes made no difference and was told by one doc that they made it worse.
I kid you not but when I was in my 30's I went to a chiropractor because of my back I had problems with for several years. Hurt it while training for an amateur body building competition about a month out. This injury to my back stayed with me for years. Even before that my legs would have occasional pain in them but just once in a while.
I went to the chiropractor after being talked into it by one of my friends. I thought it was some witch doctor stuff that was a scam but I was desperate. Went in and told him how my upper back was in constantly pain and he layed me down on the table and asked if I had neck problems. Yep if my legs ever hurt especially my right one. Said yep. Said my back was in bad shape.
He popped me in place in several areas and my neck as well. It took a few times to get my upper back to stay in place but after 2 weeks I had no more leg pain my back pain subsided and disappeared, neck wouldn't feel like their was fluid built up and had to pop it. And one surprising result was my ankles regained much of their strength and I'm not nursing a twisted ankle all the time. Last time I twisted it was the same day Patrick Patterson twisted his his freshmen year when I stepped in a hole the dog dug.

I recommend going to a chiropractor, one of the best things I've ever done.

My grade 2 sprain I suffered back in October when I was playing ball and landed on another player's foot. Took about 2 months before I could play without any pain. This was 2 days after I did it when the swelling and discoloration were the worst:

image_zpsatasso5c.jpeg

Oh my.

My grade 2 sprain I suffered back in October when I was playing ball and landed on another player's foot. Took about 2 months before I could play without any pain. This was 2 days after I did it when the swelling and discoloration were the worst:

image_zpsatasso5c.jpeg

Feel your pain, been their and done that many times.

Nasty looking sprain, but what I'm amazed by is the fact no one has mentioned the FREAKISHLY LONG FINGERS HE HAS FOR TOES! Are toes supposed to have that many knuckles?

Reactions: kyjeff1
Willis will be out till sweet 16 of the Ncaa tourney at best IMO. Ankle Sprains are sensitive to reinjury. You gotta wait 4-to 6 weeks to prevent re-injury.
Wrong, I rolled mine worse than that in pickup ball. I was playing 2 weeks later with simple ice treatments at night.
If that was a high ankle sprain you would be right.

Ugh, don't like the caption he wrote with it.. he was probably told a break would heal faster
When you couple this caption with the comments he made after the UT game I'm getting the feeling Willis is one of those guts that likes to make things seem a lot worse than they actually are. Maybe he does it to temper positive feelings or he likes the attention.
Anyone that has played basketball or volleyball on a regular basis has done this more thsn once. It looks much worse than it actually is.

He'll be back before our 1st NCAA game, and that's all that counts. NO WAY he's out more than 3 weeks unless it's broken.

Well, that's two weeks in the rack, at least. Maybe four. Best case, we see him in the SEC tourney. Worst case, the second week of the NCAA. Don't know if he's sprained that ankle before. If so, then could be quicker.

Y'all pardon if my little stalker boy comes along. Sort'a like mangy kitten. He's harmless.

Reactions: kyjeff1

image_zpsatasso5c.jpeg

I feel sorry for the other player you landed on. The foot in this picture is attached to a whale's body. How much do you eat ? Seriously, when you're with patients how far away is your 48-ounce soda and box of cheez-its?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nubb16

image_zpsatasso5c.jpeg

That's why you old guys should quit playing, unless you are getting paid for it, like Kobe. :smiley:

He just needs to have all of his teammates pee in a bucket and soak it in there for 30 minutes...he'll be fine.

*Ocho*

Reactions: Nubb16
Well atleast he rolled it himself instead of landing on someone's foot. That's the one that kicks your ass.
Pain tolerance is key here. How much pain can Willis deal with is the question to me. Rebounding is tough with a ankle that's just healed.

I love all these people being so definitive in their "guesses" about when he will play again. None of us know jack squat. He has access to the best therapeutic care, so I am guessing his turnaround time is going to be better than any of our anecdotal experiences.

If he is out for the year. Then so is UK.

We sucked before he got into the lineup. Can't see us recovering.

But you have to play the games.

Yikes that looks bad...Well he can always try the Chad "Ocho Cinco" sprained ankle cure and soak it in a bucket of warm urin from his teammates... and it counts as a teambuilding exercise!

I will gladly donate my urine for a quick heal of Willis' ankle. Where do I sign up and send?

Last edited:
Reactions: CatsRWild
Does bitter beer urine work any better? I can have my team prepare a 5-gallon bucket of my finest tonight.

Reactions: CatsRWild
Injuries will help us in the tourney if we can get healthy before it begins. As many fouls as we are getting called for it will help show us how to play with bodies out. In the meanwhile we all need to hope for foul free defense the next few games. Get better soon DWill-Indy

He will heal but in the end that will cause him to enter the draft at the end of this season... He just realized how fleeting success can be for him... He'll be back but that type injury does make you think...

Anyone can turn an ankle at any time. However, he was already complaining about his body breaking down. He needs to spend the off season working out and getting stronger and more physically fit. He needs to add 10-12 pounds of muscle, he is an athletic player as far as leaping and moving, he just wasn't ready for the amount of minutes he is playing this year.

Reactions: Brando Mac
I feel sorry for the other player you landed on. The foot in this picture is attached to a whale's body. How much do you eat ? Seriously, when you're with patients how far away is you 48-ounce soda and box of cheez-its?
Weird. Care to post picture of yourself?

Really feel bad for Willis. He had his offensive game figured out and was really trying on the defensive side. This sets him back significantly. Stamina will take a hit as well as lateral movement. Not much left to say really. Just bad.

Bilas said during the game last night he saw Poytress at walk-thru and he couldn't really move. Hard to believe he could contribute much for quite awhile. Best scenario for UK is to go 2-2 over the next 4 games, win a game or two in the SEC tourney and hope for the best. The bad thing is the tournament committee takes injuries into account when seeding teams. Not in a good way either. If Poy and Willis are not back by Selection Sunday, expect a 6-8 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT