2016---28th---9th
2017---26th---3rd

Recruiting rankings: UK vs UGA

2013---29th---12th
2014---17th---7th
2015---35th---6th
2016---28th---9th
2017---26th---3rd

No, people don’t forget this. I’m so tired of hearing this kind of thing. Kentucky’s talent level is not where UGA or Bama or a number of other schools are in the conference. But those schools always have classes like that. Kentucky was used to getting classes ranked in the 60s or 70s or worse.

Kentucky has narrowed the gap of late late. Even though they haven’t caught up with the top teams, narrowing the gap should imply being able to hang with the top teams a little better. They shouldn’t still be getting curb-stomped by the same scores they always have to these teams.

Yesterday’s loss should have been more like 34-17 or 35-20 or something along those lines. Maybe even be in the game heading into the 4th quarter. Not getting their asses whipped by the same scores they always do against the top teams. We don’t have to have equal talent to be competitive with better teams if you have good coaching.

Last edited:
People are so upset about this loss but I was far more upset with the UF loss and the Ole Miss loss. This game we were outgunned by a team wanting to right their ship. The losses above were particularly hard for me to stomach because we should have won both games against bad teams, this last thumping is far easier for me to take than those two crappy efforts. And yes I think the coaching staff failed us in the UF and Miss. losses.

There was a reason that UGA is ranked as one of the top teams in the country. Bohanna getting hurt early did not help; he can plug the middle. None of the other NGs (Pringle, Elam, Dubose) had any success whatsoever yesterday, as usual. Many people were expecting for UGA to win handily and they did. Time to move on to a more winnable game this upcoming Saturday.

People are so upset about this loss but I was far more upset with the UF loss and the Ole Miss loss. This game we were outgunned by a team wanting to right their ship. The losses above were particularly hard for me to stomach because we should have won both games against bad teams, this last thumping is far easier for me to take than those two crappy efforts. And yes I think the coaching staff failed us in the UF and Miss. losses.

Same argument was being made with those two losses, even though Ole Miss and Florida are terrible teams. The gap in recruiting rankings is as close as it's ever been here and probably won't get much closer. Kentucky might as well just fold the program if we are going to expect our record to line up with the recruiting rankings in the SEC.

No, people don’t forget this. I’m so tired of hearing this kind of thing. Kentucky’s talent level is not where UGA or Bama or a number of other schools are in the conference. But those schools always have classes like that. Kentucky was used to getting classes ranked in the 60s or 70s or worse.

Kentucky has narrowed the gap of late late. Even though they haven’t caught up with the top teams, narrowing the gap should imply being able to hang with the top teams a little better. They shouldn’t still be getting curb-stomped by the same scores they always have to these teams.

Yesterday’s loss should have been more like 34-17 or 35-20 or something along those lines. Maybe even be in the game heading into the 4th quarter. Not getting their asses whipped by the same scores they always do against the top teams. We don’t have to have equal talent to be competetive with better teams if you have good coaching.

Those schools not only out recruit Kentucky but they have the support to hire better coaches. The score, suggesting that it should be this or that is as week as claiming a moral victory if UK had been within a score at the end. Only a miracle would have had UK beating Georgia on the road and if you are upset that one didn't happen that's on you.

Then why even make the trip to Athens?

Am I upset that we lost? Yes.
Do I understand why? Yes
Does it excuse the horrible way we played on defense? No
Does it excuse the mental mistakes we made? No
Does it excuse the dropped passes? No

Because we are less talented, we must play mistake free football to win big games. Until our staff teaches this, we will NEVER beat a team like UGA on the road.

Reactions: crestcat

Yesterday’s loss should have been more like 34-17 or 35-20 or something along those lines. Maybe even be in the game heading into the 4th quarter. Not getting their asses whipped by the same scores they always do against the top teams. We don’t have to have equal talent to be competetive with better teams if you have good coaching.
Well damn, 35-17 is not much better. I'd like to be competitive with a chance to win. 28-26. 35-28.

There was a reason that UGA is ranked as one of the top teams in the country. Bohanna getting hurt early did not help; he can plug the middle. None of the other NGs (Pringle, Elam, Dubose) had any success whatsoever yesterday, as usual. Many people were expecting for UGA to win handily and they did. Time to move on to a more winnable game this upcoming Saturday.

I think you've touched on the key as to why we still struggle at times on defense. The defensive line is the one position group that this staff has not recruited very well. Although we are getting a little better now, during the last few years our D-lines were not much better than Joker's if any, and not as good as Brook's better units. Without big, athletic guys that can push the pocket in, it's hard to see us fielding a top 50 unit. If you look at the two teams that have smashed us this year both of them had elite talent along their lines, especially the D-line. If we could upgrade our D-line talent, everyone will be amazed at how much better those same DBs and linebackers look.

I think we get there but it's going to a take a awhile.

Recruiting rankings. UK - Mississippi State

2013 UK -29 MSU - 26

2014 UK -17 MSU - 37

2015 UK - 35 MSU - 16

2016 UK - 28 MSU - 34

2017 UK - 26 MSU - 27

Final score 2017

MSU 45 UK 7

Average score since Stoops was hired

MSU 40 UK 23
^ Winner, winner.... chicken dinner!

I think you've touched on the key as to why we still struggle at times on defense. The defensive line is the one position group that this staff has not recruited very well. Although we are getting a little better now, during the last few years our D-lines were not much better than Joker's if any, and not as good as Brook's better units. Without big, athletic guys that can push the pocket in, it's hard to see us fielding a top 50 unit. If you look at the two teams that have smashed us this year both of them had elite talent along their lines, especially the D-line. If we could upgrade our D-line talent, everyone will be amazed at how much better those same DBs and linebackers look.

if Barnhart decided that he wanted to bring in a defensive guy as HC, and given our poor position for recruiting elite DL players - why on earth would he hire a guy that wasn't going to bring in some he'd already been recruiting?!? mix in that the HC was a first timer and I don't think you could have plotted a more difficult path if you tried.

2013---29th---12th
2014---17th---7th
2015---35th---6th
2016---28th---9th
2017---26th---3rd
UK was a dropped catch away from beating them just a year ago.

I don't get the point of the thread. I'm pretty sure every UK fan with a pulse knows they recruit better than we do. That doesn't make the loss any better.

Recruiting rankings. UK - Mississippi State

2013 UK -29 MSU - 26

2014 UK -17 MSU - 37

2015 UK - 35 MSU - 16

2016 UK - 28 MSU - 34

2017 UK - 26 MSU - 27

Final score 2017

MSU 45 UK 7

Average score since Stoops was hired

MSU 40 UK 23
If you have to explain the difference between the two schools talent level the people you are targeting are not going to be smart enough to understand it.

Care to lookup Iowas recruiting vs ohio state for the same time period?
Theres always a guy who digs up one scenario and thinks because he found lighting in a bottle that it foils the whole theory. UK has won games with inferior talent, many times. Let me know if this happens every week.

Those recruiting rankings didn't mean a lick to LSU in 2007 did they?

So... what the hell does this mean?

Thee should be an upset once every ten years?

The teams that have been out recruited should win every time?

LSU won the national championship that year despite their recruiting ranking?

UK should have won the national championship that year?

Your point is pointless.

Reactions: Levibooty
Usually people use stoops recruiting as a mean to justify his money. Now it's were not recruiting well enough. Or attrition. Or insert excuse here.

It will never change for some. Always will be an excuse. I remember when people used to say 5 years minimum..now I'm seeing 8

I agree, the talent level was definitely tilted in their favor. No one would be too upset about this game had we taken care of business against Florida and ole miss.

It isn't that UK lost. It is the fact that this is almost the end of year 5 and the players still can't get lined up properly. The players keep missing their assignments. The dl and lbers don't know how to shed blocks. the secondary is awful. Didn't expect to win or really be competitive with UGA yesterday because they was coming off of that loss to Auburn and had something to prove but I did expect for the above issuses to not be present at the end of year 5.

2013---29th---12th
2014---17th---7th
2015---35th---6th
2016---28th---9th
2017---26th---3rd
People also forget
0-10-1
2-10
3-8
0-6 sec wins
70-3 Florida azz whipping
30-and forever vs Tennessee
every season battle vs Vandy for last place in sec
decades between bowl games
and much more

So... what the hell does this mean?

Thee should be an upset once every ten years?

The teams that have been out recruited should win every time?

LSU won the national championship that year despite their recruiting ranking?

UK should have won the national championship that year?

Your point is pointless.
How dense are you?

You have hit on something important. I can't get all the way to concluding that our coaches haven't recruited well. Za'Darius Smith, Adrian Middleton, Josh Paschal were big gets. Bentley and McCall are major commitments. Not suggesting they are enough. Our coaches deserve credit for finding and developing Melvin Lewis, CJ Johnson, Quintin Bohanna. What happened to Meant, Hatcher, Tubman, Provitt isn't their fault. I would argue that Elam's underachieving career isn't their fault either, but there is no point in kicking a dead horse. At the end of the day, I have been saying here for 2 years that what separates UK from the top SEC tier now is lack of a consistent pass rush. If Stoops keeps adding edge talent like Paschal, Wright, Peters, this will get fixed. But our defense against the run won't improve significantly until we have a 3 deep interior with more players like Bohanna and Bentley. This year's class gets us part of the way there, but I believe your main conclusions remain true and pertinent today.

Theres always a guy who digs up one scenario and thinks because he found lighting in a bottle that it foils the whole theory. UK has won games with inferior talent, many times. Let me know if this happens every week.

I'm sorry can you refresh my memory on when was the last time we curb stomped a top 10 team let alone win the game in even remotely comfortable fashion. Heck we can't even curb stomp EKU or be relaxed knowing we are winning going into the 4th.

Few here will like this statement, but i'll remind everyone we were in this game through 3 quarters. The drive ending in Bowden's INT was the back-breaker. Until then we were still making it a game. Not that we were going to win, but if you were looking for a closer final score you almost had it.

I didn't predict a win in Athens. In fact, the final score was damn close to my prediction, "42-21 with UGA going away in the 4th." (See my post before the game in UK Eric's breakdown thread.)

I'm not too worried about this loss or the final score. UGA's damn good. We hung tuff most the way, it's just snow-balled on is at the end, but again, that was no surprise to me. More pissed about UF and Ole Miss for sure. Beat UofL though and I'll call 8-4 a very good season. Progress.

2013---29th---12th
2014---17th---7th
2015---35th---6th
2016---28th---9th
2017---26th---3rd

Sounds like you would have been fine if UK had forfeited.

I’ll say it again, UK is one of the best jobs in P5 football. There are so many “football fans” that have a list of excuses as long as my arm for every misstep.

I'm not sure why the OP believes anyone has forgot this. Even critics of Stoops consistently point out the disparity in recruiting. The point I would make is that talent level right now is better than we can consistently hope for. You can't have as your model for success that we will win once we out recruit the Bama's and Georgia's because that will never happen. This is the closest we've been since 1977 in talent and we probably still had less talent that Georgia in '77.

At some point you have to win with what you have. Other schools beat Georgia and they aren't any more talented than us. What you can't do is make consistent mistakes that put points on the board for Georgia that their talent isn't required to earn. We not only got out talented Saturday but we also made far more mistakes than they did. Take those mistakes off the board and the resulting points and this is a close ball game.

But realistically nobody on either side of this argument expected UK to win. I wasn't even expecting us to cover the 22 point spread, and we didn't of course. My problem with Stoops is that he can beat a team like Missouri because we are much more talented than they are but if Missouri plays a power team like UGA they put up a respectable fight where as we just get destroyed and look unfit for the SEC. Why are less talented teams able to get closer to beating the power teams than us? The reason is they don't shoot themselves in the foot every other play and we do. That has to stop.

Sounds like you would have been fine if UK had forfeited.

I’ll say it again, UK is one of the best jobs in P5 football. There are so many “football fans” that have a list of excuses as long as my arm for every misstep.
Right. UK coaches are the only coaches who ever mis-step. Those UK football fans with the "excuses" ought to just ignore and forget that our coach inherited a 2-10 team and now has us headed to our 2nd straight bowl. Of course. Thanks for helping us retards see how simple it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT