ADVERTISEMENT

Pearl crying tears of happiness while Cal

lol. The next time I hear someone say about 2015, “at least the Cats won the SEC Tournament” will be the first time. Or mention 2016 and say, “yeah that team really succeeded, that OT win over A&M in the SEC finals was epic.” Same with 17, which ended in that horrifically officiated game or 2018 when PJ missed a dozen FTs in a loss to K State. I literally have NEVER seen any of those seasons remembered fondly here because the Cats won the SEC tournament.

Now, compare that to two seasons the Cats didn’t win the SEC tournament -1996 and 2012. Everyone celebrates those teams.
Spoken by a true ccc lover

Reactions: KFuqua
Kentucky won the SEC tournament four straight years between 2015-2018. Not one person here cared when those seasons ended without an NCAA title. Dont pretend that it mattered. It didn’t.
You’re just a different type of fan.

I’m going to say this again, slightly differently.

The SEC Title isn’t the ultimate goal. Understood. I was still unhappy with the season ending without a title while winning the SEC tourney. Yes.

I am pointing out the Fact that the priority of winning is different. Pearl obviously puts a priority on winning this tourney.. Cal has publicly, and numerous times, said he doesn’t care. DOESN’T ****ING CARE.

This is my issue. Keep being you though. Glad it doesn’t bother you at all. It bothers the shit out of me. Just pretend you care. That’s all.

lol. The next time I hear someone say about 2015, “at least the Cats won the SEC Tournament” will be the first time. Or mention 2016 and say, “yeah that team really succeeded, that OT win over A&M in the SEC finals was epic.” Same with 17, which ended in that horrifically officiated game or 2018 when PJ missed a dozen FTs in a loss to K State. I literally have NEVER seen any of those seasons remembered fondly here because the Cats won the SEC tournament.

Now, compare that to two seasons the Cats didn’t win the SEC tournament -1996 and 2012. Everyone celebrates those teams.
It always matters whether you like it or not. No one cared I. 2015 because we got differed and pissed away a perfect season. I wi grant you that one.

2017 I remember fondly. That team was awesome. Fox was amazing. So was Bam. And screw those fools that said “Theh don’t care about Kentucky”. They are idiots. They absolutely cared. Wall cares. Devin Booker cared enough to be eating UK pjs while watching us Lu while he was in the NBA.

It matters. And the problem is you’re listening to the far nuts that thinking unless you win it all the season is a complete failure. That’s insanity. And unrealistic. The other issue is now we have portions of this fan base that agree with Cal saying it doesn’t matter. That also is wrong. It matters. It’s part of a winning tradition. Winning your conference matters. UT will be a higher seed than we are and have better odds and potential matchups because they won the SEC-RS. That matters too.

Enough is enough. Winning rhe SEC and/or the SECT most times often than not is part of being “Kentucky good”. Why do you think Rupp is remembered for being such a kick ass coach? Because winning mattered. Why are we such a historic program? BECAUSE WINNING MATTERS.

Last edited:
Please. Yes. It did. Because while the ultimate goal is to win the NCAAT. This is Kentucky. We care about ALL titles and championships. For goodness sakes the nickname for the SECT was the Kentucky Invitational for decades. It matters. Maybe not as much as the national title, but damn it. It MATTERS.
@CatPhight I need a gif for this Cal tunnel vision gold standard of the green room strutting BEGOT

All this damn championship talk is making Cal angry.
Well let me tell you right now you will not take his joy.
He has tunnel vision. All roads lead to him strutting into the Green Room
Stop this pesky non important championship talk. YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY. WE ARE THE GOLD STANDARD IN THE GREEN ROOM.
@CatPhight gif for this

Whats pearl won in the NCAA? Guys coached 30 years and has made one final four and one elite 8..that's it.
I agree which is why I’m not wild about the ide of him coming here. But who was his last FF run over?

He’s also won the SECT twice now since we’ve even made the finals.

Facts are stubborn things. Hell almost every experienced coach has done better than us in the last 5 season tourney wise. And that’s pathetic.

What's Cal won in the last 5 seasons... Obviously your loyalty but what else?

Pearl just won his NCAA conference tournament...

Cal is an embarrassment.

Hey I don't hate Pearl. If he became UK coach tomorrow I'd be cool with it. But to say he's "built for march" and Cal isn't with both their track records is just nonsensical lol

Reactions: struggler
Hey I don't hate Pearl. If he became UK coach tomorrow I'd be cool with it. But to say he's "built for march" and Cal isn't with both their track records is just nonsensical lol
I don't want Pearl... I just don't want Cal... And sorry I'm past Cal's distant success .. I'm living current... Last 5 years are an embarrassment for a UK coach... Plain n simple.

Pearl is trash... But grateful for his success... Not resting on a guaranteed contract and outdated attitudes and coaching philosophy. Pearl appreciates Auburn and the opportunity they gave him... And success for his players and school. Cal is an arrogant ingrate who sees himself as far more successful than he actually is.

his passion and drive is really refreshing. I'd say I'd like him as UK's next coach, and I think he would kill it here ... but coaches in their 60s usually fall off and aren't peak anymore but he probably is a Pitino, coach K, like person that will keep going till he dies and coaching just as well. Calhoun was pretty old too wasn't he?

I don't want Pearl... I just don't want Cal... And sorry I'm past Cal's distant success .. I'm living current... Last 5 years are an embarrassment for a UK coach... Plain n simple.

Pearl is trash... But grateful for his success... Not resting on a guaranteed contract and outdated attitudes and coaching philosophy. Pearl appreciates Auburn and the opportunity they gave him... Cal is an arrogant ingrate.
2009-2015 Cal was the best coach in CBB. He hasn’t been really seen since. If he could EVER find his way back that’s the type of coach UK needs.

But that Cal is long dead.

2 post-season wins combined since 2019. If i'm hearing correctly, half of those wins in the SEC tournament didn't matter.

By all means, keep turning us into IU.

Not defending Cal here, the SEC tournament is not the goal.
You know. It’s a goal on the road to the big goal. Shit doesn’t happen by dumb luck. I remember pitino laying it out step by step. First goal to win the SEC regular season. Next goal to win the secT title. Next win the regional. Then the title. You don’t just play 32 games and then go on a run. You set incremental goals. This is some basic path to success stuff.

You know. It’s a goal on the road to the big goal. Shit doesn’t happen by dumb luck. I remember pitino laying it out step by step. First goal to win the SEC regular season. Next goal to win the secT title. Next win the regional. Then the title. You don’t just play 32 games and then go on a run. You set incremental goals. This is some basic path to success stuff.
Pitino threw it in 96.

In 2012, Kevin Stallings cried his eyes out after beating Kentucky. I decided right then I was not going to advance Vanderbilt in my bracket. His goal was to beat Kentucky. Same thing in 2015 when Wisconsin won. Their goal was to beat Kentucky. Now, I'm not saying cals goal is to win the championship. As pointed out in this thread, Green Room.

Pitino threw it in 96.
That’s definitely not how that game should be characterized. MSU was an outstanding team. They were in the final four that season if you recall. Did he hold back a bit? Probably but if it was someone other than msu our 96 team would have steamrolled them. And btw he still attempted to accomplish the goal. Cal just acts like nothing matters.

We were 17-1 in the sec tourney and 22-5 in the ncaa. Just unreal numbers. Cow has us at 1-5 over the last 6 sec tourney games. Every one of those teams in the 90s was a championship caliber team that delivered the goods.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Sometimes, not winning the conference tournament is OK. That would be a proven team that's had sustained success and is maybe on a lengthy winning streak. The loss can refocus them. A good coach will realize and understand that.

That's not the case for this UK team. They needed the confidence and consistency, not to mention the extra games. Cal still mailed it in like he always does.

Reactions: WeWant9
Mitch should've found a way to call Pearl a couple years ago. I'd take him over Cal in a heartbeat. Pearl would've been a perfect fit for Kentucky and BBN.

Kentucky won the SEC tournament four straight years between 2015-2018. Not one person here cared when those seasons ended without an NCAA title. Dont pretend that it mattered. It didn’t.
Not to be nitpicking, but ... I have to nitpick with this, just because one of those 4 straight SEC tournament wins was the 2015 team that went 38-1. I don't know of a single person whom I've seen post on this board who "didn't care" when that season ended without an NCAA title.

Nail
if you were looking to get reaction to your initial post, congratulations!
As a competitor in any sport the goal should be to win!!!

Does the annual UL game mean anything?
Does the all time wins record mean anything?
Why does UK participate in the SEC tournament if the head ball coach does not care if his team wins or not?

If the ultimate goal is to win the NCAA tournament (and I agree) would you rather be coming off a 1st game SEC tournament loss to a 500 SEC record A&M team or riding the momentum of AU going into the tournament?

Never heard a competitor say that they did not care if they won or not. I also think that CCC Probably has some language in his contract about winning games. UK may advance further in the tournament than AU but I believe a coach that is motivated and has winning as the #1 priority (Pearl) will fare better than our CCC who picks and chooses which games he would like to win and which games don’t really matter.

Guess I am old school and not in synch with people who don’t compete!

Nail
if you were looking to get reaction to your initial post, congratulations!
As a competitor in any sport the goal should be to win!!!

Does the annual UL game mean anything?
Does the all time wins record mean anything?
Why does UK participate in the SEC tournament if the head ball coach does not care if his team wins or not?

If the ultimate goal is to win the NCAA tournament (and I agree) would you rather be coming off a 1st game SEC tournament loss to a 500 SEC record A&M team or riding the momentum of AU going into the tournament?

Never heard a competitor say that they did not care if they won or not. I also think that CCC Probably has some language in his contract about winning games. UK may advance further in the tournament than AU but I believe a coach that is motivated and has winning as the #1 priority (Pearl) will fare better than our CCC who picks and chooses which games he would like to win and which games don’t really matter.

Guess I am old school and not in synch with people who don’t compete!
2012 SEC tournament Vanderbilt
2014 American Conference UL
2015 ACC Notre Dame
2016 Big East Seton Hall
2017 ACC Duke
2019 ACC Duke
2021 Big 12 Texas
2023 Big East Marquette

Do you see my point?

Vacated won Big East and NCAA in 13.
Nova in 18. KU won Big 12 and title in 2022. Three times the Titleist won their conference tournament.

Case closed.

Last edited:
Completely disagree. While those seasons ended in disappointment I was happy all those teams won the Conference. You’re not going to win a national championship every other year. Conference championships matter

What's more fun? Losing in SEC tournament or winning it?

Obviously it's more fun and therefore better. Any argument diminishing the accomplishment by trying to say "It doesn't matter," or "You won't care looking back," is cope.

You know what sucks? Having nothing to hang your hat on during the postseason. I certainly remember winning nothing going on 5 seasons now. It's awful. It's boring.

You’re right. But it is a proving ground. And we proved we aren’t title material.
Probably have won the conference or the tournament every year we've won an NCAA Tournament Championship. I didn't look it up but I'd be surprised if at least one of those hasn't happened every title year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT