ADVERTISEMENT

Out of the 80 starters in the Sweet 16

Cal was actually on the right track when he had Wheeler, Tyty, Grady, Brooks and Oscar, I mean that team was a 2 seed in the tourny. Here is the thing, Tyty and Grady were hurt at the end and they prob made the wrong portal choice on Wheeler, but that was a good mix of young and old.
You replace Wheeler with a 6ft+ PG who is at least a threat from outside, AND keep that team healthy, and I still think they could have won it all.

We can't get out of the first or second round of the NCAA tournament now with mostly freshmen. Then after their first year, if they don't leave or transfer during the season, they are undecided about the next. This is no way to maintain a good basketball team and expect them to do well in post season play. If half the team don't know what they are going to do or where they are going to be the year after, it doesn't look very promising.

Last night I was watching games and thought about this. I also was thinking about looking at what percentage were top 150/200/300 players.

Cal will never do it, but he needs tell a couple of the Freshman to find another team, Knox, Richmond and Somto are right in that sweet spot of not superstars but not projects, but Cal will give them minutes and that is gonna deter transfers AND returners. Plus here is the wort part, you prob end up losing all three after 1 year anyway. Just insane.

All of this year's freshman missed a year of basketball during their 9th grade year of high school. They're showing up on campus a year behind schedule. We're sending them up against 24/25 year old men with 5 to 6 years of ncaa experience. The OAD system no longer works. Cal is really slow at adapting to this post covid world.

Cal was actually on the right track when he had Wheeler, Tyty, Grady, Brooks and Oscar, I mean that team was a 2 seed in the tourny. Here is the thing, Tyty and Grady were hurt at the end and they prob made the wrong portal choice on Wheeler, but that was a good mix of young and old.
We played only one (1) Freshman in the game against St Peters ... Ty Ty Washington.
Daimion Collins and Bryce Hopkins did not play in the game.

• Love
Reactions: gbl97 and Fox2monk
I am lazy, hopefully there is a stat as to how many are McD's. UNC loss takes a toll on that number for the E8. Will be fun to watch that one.

It ain’t the players, it’s the coach.

He’s gotten old and lazy and is just drawing a check. I can relate, but I’m not making 10 mill a year to coach the greatest program in college basketball.

IIRC other than the 2012 championship and 2015, the other ff runs were just luck. Barely got out the first round. Last second shots, etc. The luck finally ran out.

The pundits(and several fans) knew. the rest of the fan base is now painfully aware of what we're stuck with. Cal's "Players first" philosophy is a fraud, along with his coaching deficiencies...fully exposed.

Cal will never do it, but he needs tell a couple of the Freshman to find another team, Knox, Richmond and Somto are right in that sweet spot of not superstars but not projects, but Cal will give them minutes and that is gonna deter transfers AND returners. Plus here is the wort part, you prob end up losing all three after 1 year anyway. Just insane.
I hope we lose him too after next year.

When Kansas won two years ago they had 3 SR, 2 JR and 1 SO playing all the min
That’s a whole other aspect to this. In addition to being too young we’re playing too many guys and running guys in and out too often. I’d rather have 8 good players than 11.

Reactions: KneeBurns
no-ragrets-tattoo-scaled.jpg
Cal says that his number one mission is changing lives. Without Cal, Tyler Herro would be just another rapper

Our starting lineup next season will have at least two Freshmen, probably three.

I’m expecting Fland, Knox. and Quaintance to start.
Hard to argue against you based on history. But geez, after all the drama and talk and promises arising from the latest disaster, you'd think Calipari couldn't do this and face Barnhart, the fans or even look himself in the mirror. I'm not sure you could put two All-Americans with those 3 as a starting unit and make the Tournament.

Despite what was said in the “ propaganda interview “ , Cal didn’t get next season because he earned or deserved it. He got it because Mitch wasn’t prepared .
This I agree with, face it when the rumor Cal was thinking of going to UCLA he held the school hostage, and Mitch blinked and gave Cal a very unreasonable contract that UK is now paying the price for.

Reactions: dl51344
This I agree with, face it when the rumor Cal was thinking of going to UCLA he held the school hostage, and Mitch blinked and gave Cal a very unreasonable contract that UK is now paying the price for.
Some people over the HOB say that Mitch didn’t want to give Cal that contract but was forced to by the administration. Which makes perfect sense considering Mitch cannot stand Cal .

It still burns me up to think that team was a 2 seed and smoked both teams that made the national championship game, and we had a top 5-10 pick on our bench who never took his warm-up sweats off. In a dream world Sahvir goes to the bench, TyTy takes over at point, Sharpe is our 2 man, and we march to a title.

Reactions: Sparkaces1
Cal says that his number one mission is changing lives. Without Cal, Tyler Herro would be just another rapper
BECAUSE of Cal, he's just another rapper.

Notice all the 5*s we bring in don't become special until AFTER they leave.

Randle couldn't dribble right. He couldn't shoot. Now he's dominating the league.

Same story with Booker.
Same with Fox.
And Murray.
And Bam.
And SGA.

How many guys outside of Davis were top 20 players when they were at UK? What about top 50?

Just curious, because they're all all-stars now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT